• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens - It's True. All of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
I loved the Freighter scene. Not only because I believe it was The Raid guys who were one of the gangs. It was also the scene where we got to see that old Han Solo charm for the first time in the movie.

It's when Abrams goes nostalgia overload and you can see his directing style creep in. I wouldn't be surprised if that section was written more by him than Kasdan.

"I've got a bad feeling about this".

Fj0823

Let's all take a moment to recognize the real mvp for retconning what the force is from the prequels.

Applause for Mas Kanada.

Lol, nothing has been retconned.

The force is still an energy field created by all life, and midichlorians in your body allow you to sense it.

Get over it.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I loved the Freighter scene. Not only because I believe it was The Raid guys who were one of the gangs. It was also the scene where we got to see that old Han Solo charm for the first time in the movie.

Yeah, I didn't mind it at all.

It was probably the only scene in the whole movie that didn't advance the plot but it was fun so I didn't mind. It was Han Solo as fuck, too. Bunch of funny moments during it.

Salamando

Is it possible chewies bowcaster got an upgrade?

It was never that powerful in the OT.

Having turned to smuggling again after his son took off, maybe they havent had many ground battles. Perhaps this was his first real look in a long ass time (because of relatively peace for 3 decades) of how powerful a weapon chewie had or since upgraded. Being back in action, after all this time, seeing how powerful chewies weapon was brought up some good feelings for an old man.

I remember reading that a typical Bowcaster was near-unusable by a human. It required the strength of a Wookiee to hold, keep steady, and fire accurately. Perhaps only recently Chewie was able to build one that was lightweight and lacked the massive recoil?

idk shit about star wars but i'm thinking the fact that the bad dude just killed his father may have hit him emotionally hard than he expected.

Probably that contributed. Also, he was heavily wounded due being shot int he gut by a bowcaster. That shit musta hurt considering it usually kills people in a single shot.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
idk shit about star wars but i'm thinking the fact that the bad dude just killed his father may have hit him emotionally hard than he expected.

Not to mention the laser blast in his side (which he smacked several times during the fight) and just having tired himself fighting Finn, who got a good slice on his shoulder.

pretty sure baton trooper was one, and we'll see them be in most of the fight scenes as masked dudes. The pirates I think were more of a nod to them, giving them a non action part.

That's cool, I think it was my favorite action scene in the movie. It's too bad they don't get much exposure to mainstream audiences by being visible but I would just love to see how they help influence any fight scenes if they stick around.

Pixels

Ha.

CmFYaVQ.jpg

LOL!!!

The freighter scene was kind of a missed opportunity for Han to "shoot first" at the pirates.

I was genuinely surprised that they resisted the impulse to put some kind of fan service reference in for that one.

I just expected things to evolve without the Lucas taint.

I think I just expected too much

Does the "Lucas Taint" also include the OT? Because all of your complaints are present in abundance there.

UberTag

What? No. You don't have to clap during a movie. whats the point? You can enjoy a movie without clapping at a movie, which cannot clap back. So it's more stupid.
I'm not big on clapping during a typical movie screening but I'm a big fan of catching movie premieres at film festivals and clapping after the movie ends to show appreciation to the director and stars attending the screening.

Agreed. The tentacle monsters were stupid and overly cartoony (aka prequel-esque). Bleh. Good thing that was the only example of shitty cartoon monsters/aliens in the movie.

Yeah. It literally reminded me of Star Trek 2009 when Kirk was chase by like a snow alien thing.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Using the Bowcaster wasn't just a "laugh here" moment. It was also to set up Ren getting shot by it at the end. Supposed to show that he was in a weakened state and also absurdly strong. He just took a direct gut(?) shot from a gun that kills almost everything from hitting near it.

Why didn't it knock him into the pit?
And why would it matter if it did? Seriously, why can't any force users fly? Instead of levitating a rock, levitate yourself. How hard is that? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here. They already make other people fly FFS.

Also thinking about it, why would Han and Leia name their kid after Obi Wan. Leia didn't even know him and Han didn't really have much of a relationship with him aside from constant mockery. I mean I would get Luke naming one of his kids Ben, but Han and Leia?

Fj0823

Let's be honest, no one will ever mention midichlorians in a serious fashion again (did they ever?).

It's retconned until further notice.

Watch Rebels. Children of the Force are what they call force sensitive babies.

That alone and the fact that the force is genetical as we see once again in this movie makes midichlorians a thing. But they're obviously lost knowledge by this time.

But hey, if you want to do mental gymnastics, I won't stop you.

Jobbs

Banned
And why would it matter if it did? Seriously, why can't any force users fly? Instead of levitating a rock, levitate yourself. How hard is that? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here. They already make other people fly FFS.

Yoda floated around in the prequels, if I recall.

Aside from that, Jedi do frequently jump really high. But, yeah, honestly, I always wondered why flying wasn't more of a thing. If Luke can levitate 3p0, how come he can't just levitate himself as needed?

I just expected things to evolve without the Lucas taint.

I think I just expected too much

It's Star Wars. It's kind of goofy, it's kind of cheesy, things don't always make sense when you try to inspect them with a microscope.

Theres always coincidences for the sake of story. Convenient friendships and relations. People can breathe inside a giant worm on a meteor in a vacuum, and fly ships they've never used before. The vehicle physics make no sense to begin with. The Force can't be explained simply by training or power levels - it's mysterious, and sometimes that will be used as a tool for the sake of the story.

These movies are just meant to be fun.

Also thinking about it, why would Han and Leia name their kid after Obi Wan. Leia didn't even know him and Han didn't really have much of a relationship with him aside from constant mockery. I mean I would get Luke naming one of his kids Ben, but Han and Leia?

That old man doesn't charter his ship, he never meets his wife.

Makes sense to me.

npa189

First time logging on since I saw it this afternoon, but I was so happy. It turned out to be a fantastic film and a great homage to Episode IV. It will take me awhile to unpack and process this film, but my first impressions are that it was so much better than the prequels and it was everything I hoped and more. Star Wars is back guys!

a916

You aren't. I've always wondered the same thing.

If you can push and pull things... you can push something that won't move, ie the ground, and it should push back (Newton's law) and thus, push you away... control it and you should be able to float/fly/jump really high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom