• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Tokyo MX, er, Anime |OT1.5| ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stardust Crusaders 5

That pose man, so good

Also that dance of Joseph during the tentacle scene was so moe

This is just too damn amazing

Nanana's Buried Treasure 4

I have to say Tensei's the boss, one fine detective for sure. The MC is also pretty legit and great. I'm also fond of Nanana, probably has to do with her cute eyes.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Captain Poopmerica

I only bring this up because the last time I was this mad while watching something was SAO. Average action sequences thinly connected by one of the most terrible white shounen stories ever written.

Hello AnimeGAF, I'm looking for some anime suggestion because I just finished Silver Spoon and I usually prefer animes without many episodes, but I can endure it if I'm enjoying. I'll list the ones that I watched "recently" and liked:

- Hyouka
- Silver Spoon
- Maison Ikkoku
- Nichijou

Anything similar to these that I should watch?

Captain Poopmerica

I only bring this up because the last time I was this mad while watching something was SAO. Average action sequences thinly connected by one of the most terrible white shounen stories ever written.

I don't think it's amazing, but it's not that terrible as you claim it to be. Maybe average or a little above.

Hello AnimeGAF, I'm looking for some anime suggestion because I just finished Silver Spoon and I usually prefer animes without many episodes, but I can endure it if I'm enjoying. I'll list the ones that I watched "recently" and liked:

- Hyouka
- Silver Spoon
- Maison Ikkoku
- Nichijou

Aria
Sketchbook Full Colors
Kino's Journey
Haibane Renmei
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Daily Lives of High School Boys
Minami-ke

Should start you off nicely.

survivor

Banned

- Hyouka
- Silver Spoon
- Maison Ikkoku
- Nichijou

Tatami Galaxy
Usagi Drop
Daily Lives of High School Boys
Moyashimon

- Hyouka
- Silver Spoon
- Maison Ikkoku
- Nichijou

Watch D-Frag, you will immensely enjoy it as it's really hilarious. It's full of comedy.

Captain Poopmerica

Are we talking about the first one or second one

First one while not great does the job well enough though I can see why people wouldn't like it

If talking about second one then go home you're drunk

survivor

Banned
Captain Poopmerica

Would you say it's as bad as the first one or any there any improvements? Unless this is the first movie.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't think it's amazing, but it's not that terrible as you claim it to be. Maybe average or a little above.
Are we talking about the first one or second one

First one while not great does the job well enough though I can see why people wouldn't like it

If talking about second one then go home you're drunk
I was seething. Hydra as an organization is a worse villain than the creepy raper guy in SAO and every time they explained their stupid plan, it made me want to bail on the film.

Would you say it's as bad as the first one or any there any improvements? Unless this is the first movie.
I don't remember much of the first movie, so by that virtue I probably didn't have any real emotions about it either way. I felt like I was being insulted with this one though.

I should have known. The Poop Agents show is so terrible that I should have known that the film that the show was made for would be more of the same. :(

Soma

Captain Poopmerica

Better than Rebellion's ending.

survivor

Banned
I don't remember much of the first movie, so by that virtue I probably didn't have any real emotions about it either way. I felt like I was being insulted with this one though.

I should have known. The Poop Agents show is so terrible that I should have known that the film that the show was made for would be more of the same. :(
This is how I felt about the first one, the writing was so terrible and the action scenes were very uninspired, it took a lot of willpower to finish it. It's why I'm very hesitant about watching the sequel.

Articalys

So over the last few days King Records has been posting the foreign language versions of the Tonari no Seki-kun OP "Meiwaku Spectacle" -- from the just released "Tonari no Seki-kun Uta Janai!?" OST -- and I've got to say they're quite interesting. Looks like they're uploading one a day, and here's what they've put up so far:

English
French
German
Italian

I can kind of follow along with the French one, but I've no clue how they're translating it in the latter two languages.

Incidentally, the other languages on the CD are Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Russian, Chinese, Taiwanese, and Korean. I wonder how many they'll put on YouTube.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Better than Rebellion's ending.
Even if you didn't like Rebellion's ending, at no point does it feel like it's a film that's talking down to you like you are a man child.

And Gravity too.
You know what, if Cauron directed this film, at least I would have gotten something out of it. :p

Winter soldier had shaky cam for action. eugh
Poor man's Greengrass. :(

This is how I felt about the first one, the writing was so terrible and the action scenes were very uninspired, it took a lot of willpower to finish it. It's why I'm very hesitant about watching the sequel.
I will admit, I am/was/may still be a WW2 fan, so that probably made the first film a lot more watchable for me. But clearly without any of Band of Brothers-esque context, I just can't stand the main character or the villains.

fertygo

Even if you didn't like Rebellion's ending, at no point does it feel like it's a film that's talking down to you like you are a man child.
Then what the hell that scene where Homura talking with Incubator then?
That's some gibberish sci-fi shit from comic that muricah boy like.
You know what, if Cauron directed this film, at least I would have gotten something out of it. :p

You got slow-mo explosion in TWS too.

Kazzy

Yet, STILL NO FEMALE MC WTFBBQ.

Marie is more canon that FemMc will ever be - You guys should just learn to let go!

I'm confused - I thought Persona 4 Golden was just a portable version of Persona 4 with a new subtitle. Is it significantly different from the original version? It's only been a couple of years since the original, surely?

It actually added some additional narrative elements that alter the continuity, ever so slightly. It's one of the reasons that the fan-base tends to get divided whenever its brought up, particularly as it relates to Marie.
Her ultimate role is that of a God, so people who already resented the dynamic shifting, were hardly going to warm to her at that point.
For better or worse, she's a character that has a significant impact on the story.

I wonder what the goal will be in Free S2

...Hopefully to avoid terribly contrived drama, and instead focus on SOL hijinks?

And to think, I watched all of that.

*shudder*

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mushishi Zoku Shou Episode 5:

Eh, this is one of those episodes where I can be appreciative of the direction and metaphor they were going for, the dangers of depression and the iron will of resolve, this was pretty boring in all honesty.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
So over the last few days King Records has been posting the foreign language versions of the Tonari no Seki-kun OP "Maiwaku Spectacle" -- from the just released "Tonari no Seki-kun Uta Janai!?" OST -- and I've got to say they're quite interesting. Looks like they're uploading one a day, and here's what they've put up so far:

English
French
German
Italian

I can kind of follow along with the French one, but I've no clue how they're translating it in the latter two languages.

Incidentally, the other languages on the CD are Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Russian, Chinese, Taiwanese, and Korean. I wonder how many they'll put on YouTube.

They left YA ME TE untranslated at least in the English one (edit: ALL of them) :lol Yokoi's voice is way too deep in the German one.

Seriously, though, it's not that hard to find a three-syllable phrase that works. "Keep it down", "Knock it off", "Stop it now", etc.

Articalys

Mushishi Zoku Shou Episode 5:

Eh, this is one of those episodes where I can be appreciative of the direction and metaphor they were going for, the dangers of depression and the iron will of resolve, this was pretty boring in all honesty.
I noticed that it did feel... sparser (for lack of a better word) than normal, even for Mushishi.

survivor

Banned
So over the last few days King Records has been posting the foreign language versions of the Tonari no Seki-kun OP "Maiwaku Spectacle" -- from the just released "Tonari no Seki-kun Uta Janai!?" OST -- and I've got to say they're quite interesting. Looks like they're uploading one a day, and here's what they've put up so far:

English
French
German
Italian

Without Kana Hana, these other songs just don't have the same feeling.

date a live s2 4

budget as fuck until random high budget getsuga tenshou.

And that twin combo attack is cool.

Wait who is this new faction again? I don't pay much attention to the core story stuff in this show at all lol.

see this is what happens when you fuck up perspective. i got excited about who was kissing who for a sec, than i was mildly disappointed :(

dal4.jpg

Andrew J.

Stardust Crusaders 05

Normally it annoys me when battle shounen opponents explain their powers to each other, but I didn't mind here because 1) it was explained as the result of the characters' chivalrous and honorable natures and 2) I know from watching the OVAs that keeping Stand powers secret becomes a really big deal later on.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I noticed that it did feel... sparser (for lack of a better word) than normal, even for Mushishi.

Indeed, another good word was restrained, too restrained for its own good. I could have used more emotions then 50 shades of dull surprise, while I suppose it makes for great atmosphere, watching a teenage girl mope about for 15 minutes isn't exactly a thrill a minute.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Mushishi S2 - Episode 5

Week after week I cant get enough of this series sublime ending music. Does anyone know where I can find more like it or an OST?

sonicmj1

I was seething. Hydra as an organization is a worse villain than the creepy raper guy in SAO and every time they explained their stupid plan, it made me want to bail on the film.

What's so dumb about "evil sleeper cell organization wants to rule the whole world"? They're the bad guys. That's what bad guys do.

Mature

Taking bets on whether the Nature Valley twitter PR rep gets a raise or gets fired for tainting the brand's image by attracting thousands of creepy people.
Creeps gotta eat!

JoJo's Bizarre Adventures: Phantom Blood

Well, that was pretty great.
I'm sure you've heard it before, but it only gets (a lot) better.

Winter soldier had shaky cam for action. eugh
Shaky cam typically bothers me, but I think it was fine in Winter Soldier.

Gazoinks

Mushishi SS 05

Nice low-key episode, with some absolutely fantastic background art. Loved the forest scenes and all the lakes. And Ginko is such a playa.

Also I watched episode 4 yesterday, which was fantastic, but I didn't post about it because I was way late.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Looks like the OST comes out in late June.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00JTP3BGW/

There also seem to be music CDs bundled with the Blu-ray volumes, which specifically have the ending music for the episodes from their respective volumes.

Thank you.... I'll keep an eye out. I'd be cool if a sample ended up on Sound Cloud; that service has a strange way of help me find really good similar music.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What's so dumb about "evil sleeper cell organization wants to rule the whole world"? They're the bad guys. That's what bad guys do.
They make Goldfinger Dr. Evil seem like a credible enemy. I think their plan was literally the worst "evil for evil's sake" plan I've ever heard conceived - and that includes keeping some girl comatose so that you can mind rape her.

Wow I really fell behind on Precure episodes. I just kind of lose motivation to watch it after seeing everyone else discuss it, which doesn't seem to happen for any other show. Probably has to do with the fact that it's the only show people watch as it airs.

Ep. 12

Sure wish they got to be this silly more often.

I would actually care about Precure for the first time in my life, if Sho appeared.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They left YA ME TE untranslated at least in the English one (edit: ALL of them) :lol Yokoi's voice is way too deep in the German one.

Seriously, though, it's not that hard to find a three-syllable phrase that works. "Keep it down", "Knock it off", "Stop it now", etc.
They all use Yamete, but I assume that's like the signature of the song so it's the one thing they kept for all versions.

Also, the English version sounds bad because of the accent used by the singer. I have no idea if the other versions are as grating though, but the English is so... well, California anime dub. lol

sonicmj1

They make Goldfinger Dr. Evil seem like a credible enemy. I think their plan was literally the worst "evil for evil's sake" plan I've ever heard conceived - and that includes keeping some girl comatose so that you can mind rape her.

I think a plan that ends with all your enemies dead and the whole world held hostage is a pretty good one, but that's just me.

I mean, it's a textbook SPECTRE kind of plan. Even Code Geass used something similar. I'm not calling it high art, but it's entirely within the norm for this kind of movie.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think a plan that ends with all your enemies dead and the whole world held hostage is a pretty good one, but that's just me.

I mean, it's a textbook SPECTRE kind of plan. Even Code Geass used something similar. I'm not calling it high art, but it's entirely within the norm for this kind of movie.
If it's meant to be a literal cartoon, where I'm supposed to laugh at the campiness of Hydra, then the tone of the film didn't really fit the inanity of the actual plan.

Even Code Geass is a strange thing to say, R2 isn't exactly an example of good writing.

DiGi Charot 1-2

I think watching this has shown us that subs will be the way to go here!

Moon Phase 1

Hey there's a scene that totally reminds me of the Monogatari series, OH HEY, ITS LOLI VAMPIRE IN A TUB! Hohoho

Needless to say, two of us were suffering pretty hard for this. One of them happened to be us. I was attempting to save myself by pointing out detailed lips.. to the point that everyone has DSL

People voted for this in order to spite us, but I killed this show off as a result.

Kill Me Baby RE: 1

And killed!

In the meantime, I played some Philip Bailey music. Mainly "Walking on the Chinese Wall"

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya B1

He knew what God Knows was, oh my oh my. Thankfully, our host wasn't an asshole enough to actually consider us watching Endless Eight.... DESPITE ALMOST CONSIDERING 6 HOURS OF ENTERTAINMENT.

Yesterday could be summed up as me being in a hostile mood. Anywho, this survived.

All Purpose Cat Soldier blah blah blah

The camera work made me want to die through this. But we'll watch the OVAs at least. Fuck the TV series

Super Gals 1

HEY, NOT NAGISA, NOT HONOKA, AND NOT HIKARI IN A NEW SHOW! CALLING GIRLS BITCHES AND SAYING DAMN IT DAD! Although since this was a dub, It should be NOT NATALIE AND NOT HANNA

Anyway Not Nagisa/Natalie does one thing that her real version does. Steal the spotlight, beating up men, and calling girls bitches. Anyway, this was a surprise hit with everyone, but hey, it's Not-Pretty Cure!

Acchi Kocchi 1

I think they said this was a better Kill Me Baby, and thus it lived. Although I'm starting to get tired of when they mention things like "TSUNDERE LINE". It almost feels like people mentioning Internet Memes in real life. Which was one of the worst things to happen ever in modern days.

Nyankoi 1

This made it, can't say too much because I got killed off and missed a chunk of both this and Acchi Kocchi.

This is pretty much the last preliminary run. Time for me to catagorize the shows we've picked and see what show I'm going to watch first with these folks, because I sure as hell know that our second show will be Earth Maiden Arjuna, the main reason why I started making them watch animu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom