• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 | Welcome Home, Space Cowboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned

I'll give all of these shows a chance. Was already set on watching Apollon and especially Tsuritama, but I can't resist the moe microbes and high tech/robots stuff. It will be an interesting few seasons.

If I'm reading this right, Satomi Arai just revealed on her blog that she's been married for four years and has an almost two-year-old son.

Sorry to be dealing in seiyuu gossip; I'll show myself out.

This is dumb as hell. It has always been dumb as hell that female voice actresses cant have a life because a bunch of smelly ass otaku can't stand the thought of their waifu leaving. One of the most pathetic things about this whole hobby.

It's so shitty how seiyuu can't have a normal life because of the crazy fanbase. Seriously, sometimes I'm ashamed to see how this type of fanbase is crazy about these things. =/

See above.

Amen. It's because of people like this that noitaminA has been corrupted.

I fail to see how unnecessary underboobs make more sense in action.

You take the high road and I'll take the low road..

I don't know if such a thing can be saved.

It doesn't need saving. Fate stay Night was fun to watch. Now it is even moreso. So what if the protagonist guy was as dumb as a bag of beans, I watch the show for the Servants and for Rin.

Now you will never have to watch it again! Also, it's all about
puberty
!

Honestly, I don't think I will ever watch the movie again either. It's something I have experienced, sated my curiosity and will not revisit.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Kaichou wa Maid-sama 01:

How do you make a maid show without maid fanservice and not alienate maid fans? Make it a shoujo! Ayuzawa Misaki is pretty clearly designed to be relatable to female viewers--behind the maid persona, she lives a pretty troubled life and doesn't particularly enjoy being a maid, only doing it because she needs to make ends meet and is too weak for physical labor. Even Soredemo's unsexy, raging idiot Hotori is closer to the maid ideal than Misaki.

Really, I was surprised how little Misaki has going on for her. Of course, she has the whole shoujo unappreciated beauty thing going on, but there's not a lot to envy about her life. She's
impoverished, feared by the student populace for her overbearing strictness as student council president, and overworked to the point of illness
. She has a knight in shining armor swooping in to save her from everything right from the beginning, but she has it rough. I get tired just watching her.

Naturally, the most popular boy in school takes an interest in her. When a character is introduced by casually responding "oh, just turning down a confession" when asked what he's doing, you know you're dealing with a super-ultra-bishounen. Usui always seems to magically be in the right place at the right time, and he'd pretty much have the romance wrapped up in a single episode if it weren't for the silly
he's so popular that he's lost interest in girls entirely!
thing that's going to apparently need undoing over the course of the series.

Good first episode, and I'm going to try to get in an episode or two of this every day. Even if the show had no other redeeming qualities, Misaki is still the hottest shoujo protagonist ever.

vSpuSl.jpg

A lot of it are dem eyes. Big, expressive, and a really bright gold. Misaki <3 <3 <3

Also, from the OP:

Is this just a garter or are those actual bloomer undergarments? The answer to this could potentially rip open yesterday's debate again.

Branduil

Kids on the Slope sure is doing a good job of building up my hype. And at the very least, Tsuritama will look 1 million times better than [C].

cajunator

Banned
Kaichou wa Maid-sama 01:

How do you make a maid show without maid fanservice and not alienate maid fans? Make it a shoujo! Ayuzawa Misaki is pretty clearly designed to be relatable to female viewers--behind the maid persona, she lives a pretty troubled life and doesn't particularly enjoy being a maid, only doing it because she needs to make ends meet and is too weak for physical labor. Even Soredemo's unsexy, raging idiot Hotori is closer to the maid ideal than Misaki.

Really, I was surprised how little Misaki has going on for her. Of course, she has the whole shoujo unappreciated beauty thing going on, but there's not a lot to envy about her life. She's
impoverished, feared by the student populace for her overbearing strictness as student council president, and overworked to the point of illness
. She has a knight in shining armor swooping in to save her from everything right from the beginning, but she has it rough. I get tired just watching her.

Naturally, the most popular boy in school takes an interest in her. When a character is introduced by casually responding "oh, just turning down a confession" when asked what he's doing, you know you're dealing with a super-ultra-bishounen. Usui always seems to magically be in the right place at the right time, and he'd pretty much have the romance wrapped up in a single episode if it weren't for the silly
he's so popular that he's lost interest in girls entirely!
thing that's going to apparently need undoing over the course of the series.

Good first episode, and I'm going to try to get in an episode or two of this every day. Even if the show had no other redeeming qualities, Misaki is still the hottest shoujo protagonist ever.

A lot of it are dem eyes. Big, expressive, and a really bright gold. Misaki <3 <3 <3

Also, from the OP:

Is this just a garter or are those actual bloomer undergarments? The answer to this could potentially rip open yesterday's debate again.

I like the show because it tried something different with the maid concept.
And yes, Misaki is very pleasant to behold.

Soma

I'm really digging that art style for Tsuritama. Especially in the background details.

Definitely gonna check this one out.

Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki 06-12
D'awww roundcats.

I am liking these short anime episodes, makes me feel like I watched a lot in a short amount of time.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Need to finish dinner before I start on dessert, so I suppose my Maid-sama marathon is on standby until I can get some episodes from this past week out of the way.

Ano Natsu 12 (END):

Everything wrapped up as expected.
Ichika and Kaito make it to their destination, she's forced to leave, there are tears, life goes on without her (until epilogue)

Probably the one thing that anyone with a heart who watched this show can agree upon is that
Tanigawa
got an incredibly raw deal in the end. I still don't know what she has against
dating Tetsurou
at this point because
even if Kaito WOULD date her, she'd always have to live with the shame of only being his silver medal
, but in spite of this I can't believe how relentlessly
Kaito remained interested in Ichika
for the entire series. There was never even any suspense or ambiguity over the subject.

Firehawk managed to shift my feelings toward the series from dislike to ambiguity by convincing me to un-drop it. Mission accomplished?

Jex

I remember when Guilty Crown was going to save anime.

Just sayin'.

I don't know if anyone was ever serious about that, though. People just wanted it to be as memorable as Code Geass. I 'dropped' the show very early on, but from all accounts it was extremely stupid. By that standard, I suppose it succeeded.

cajunator

Banned
I'm really digging that art style for Tsuritama. Especially in the background details.

Definitely gonna check this one out.

Tsuritama is looking better and better. Really liking the playful musical style too.

I don't know if anyone was ever serious about that, though. People just wanted it to be as memorable as Code Geass. I 'dropped' the show very early on, but from all accounts it was extremely stupid. By that standard, I suppose it succeeded.

This is pretty much how I wanted it to be. I havent even finished Code Geass R2 though so there is still much discovery to be made!

duckroll

For those who missed it earlier, the noitaminA conference can still be watched, and apparently not just for premium users!

http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv85627780

Time stamps for performances:

0:01:10 - Moanin' (Piano: Takashi Matsunaga, Drums: Jun Ishikawa)

0:29:20 - Someday my prince will come (Piano: Takashi Matsunaga, Drums: Jun Ishikawa)

0:34:10 - Pythagora Switch (Kuricorder Quartet)

0:44:45 - Tsuritama March (Kuricorder Quartet)

1:10:30 - Special Session Medley (Kuricorder Quartet, Piano: Takashi Matsunaga, Drums: Jun Ishikawa)

cajunator

Banned
For those who missed it earlier, the noitaminA conference can still be watched, and apparently not just for premium users!

http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv85627780

Time stamps for performances:

0:01:10 - Moanin' (Piano: Takashi Matsunaga, Drums: Jun Ishikawa)

0:29:20 - Someday my prince will come (Piano: Takashi Matsunaga, Drums: Jun Ishikawa)

0:34:10 - Pythagora Switch (Kuricorder Quartet)

0:44:45 - Tsuritama March (Kuricorder Quartet)

1:10:30 - Special Session Medley (Kuricorder Quartet, Piano: Takashi Matsunaga, Drums: Jun Ishikawa)

I fucking knew that's what that was! It was stuck in my head and I was like "I know this shit"

Jex

This is the first anime season in a long time where I don't have any fears of dropping the shows I will check on. :X Mah backlog

That's a good thing though, right? Ideally, every anime season would give us so many shows that we wouldn't need to touch our backlogs.

I guess the realisation that you won't be able to tackle your (perhaps large) backlog is a little disheartening, but in reality you'd never be able to conquer it anyway. If you go and do some digging into how many shows and movies and OVA's have been made that you might well be interested you'll note that there's probably hundreds of titles you haven't checked out.

Well, at least, that's how it was for me whenever I thought I'd "cleared my backlog". There is always more anime to watch.

cajunator

Banned
That's a good thing though, right? Ideally, every anime season would give us so many shows that we wouldn't need to touch our backlogs.

I guess the realisation that you won't be able to tackle your (perhaps large) backlog is a little disheartening, but in reality you'd never be able to conquer it anyway. If you go and do some digging into how many shows and movies and OVA's have been made that you might well be interested you'll note that there's probably hundreds of titles you haven't checked out.

Well, at least, that's how it was for me whenever I thought I'd "cleared my backlog". There is always more anime to watch.

That sounds like a pretty boring way to watch anime. Should be a mix of old and new.
There is no way a single season, no matter how good, could completely fill every need to watch something and every genre I have in mind.

Jex

What other news sites do anime fans really have to rely on besides ANN?

Reading the news in the original Japanese, various blogs and of course twitter.
Poor Jex, probably sitting there at his laptop, watching some KEY show, in a coffee stained wife beater vest and sporting stubble close to a borderline beard.

What have you done, Cajun. For shame.

I'd like to dissuade you from thinking that I somehow own a laptop. That's a lie.

Jex

Kora no Densetsu 2

First we had Avatar with some Baccano, now we have Avatar with some Tron.

This actually works better than I assumed because both Baccano and Kora have ugly CG mechanical animation! To be fair, so even amazing animated movies like The Illusionist have that problem as well.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Ano hana wasn't that bad, when you consider the fact that shows like No.6, UN-GO, [C], Fractale, and Guilty crown came out in the same year it was in.:p

Jex

I doubt most gaffers that barely post in this thread even know what DEEN is.

I like to think that regularly visiting this thread is an education for the posters here. Perhaps they don't care about who or what DEEN is but if they want to know we're more than happy to cover it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Need to finish dinner before I start on dessert, so I suppose my Maid-sama marathon is on standby until I can get some episodes from this past week out of the way.

Ano Natsu 12 (END):

Everything wrapped up as expected.
Ichika and Kaito make it to their destination, she's forced to leave, there are tears, life goes on without her (until epilogue)

Probably the one thing that anyone with a heart who watched this show can agree upon is that
Tanigawa
got an incredibly raw deal in the end. I still don't know what she has against
dating Tetsurou
at this point because
even if Kaito WOULD date her, she'd always have to live with the shame of only being his silver medal
, but in spite of this I can't believe how relentlessly
Kaito remained interested in Ichika
for the entire series. There was never even any suspense or ambiguity over the subject.

Firehawk managed to shift my feelings toward the series from dislike to ambiguity by convincing me to un-drop it. Mission accomplished?

I still think you have a blackened heart. But at least you're not soulless!

This actually works better than I assumed because both Baccano and Kora have ugly CG mechanical animation! To be fair, so even amazing animated movies like The Illusionist have that problem as well.

Mechanical animation is a lost art everywhere. It's a sign of the times.

Ano hana wasn't that bad, when you consider the fact that shows like No.6, UN-GO, [C], Fractale, and Guilty crown came out in the same year it was in.:p

I don't like to think about that.

cajunator

Banned
Chihayafuru 24

Chihaya goes to Taichi's place. His mom obviously isn't fond of her. Her reaction to this is priceless and adorable.
She is finally allowed into his room although the rest of the Karuta club joins them to watch the Master/Queen tournament.
HOLY SHIT
Queenie got Rihoko'd!! Well she's still cute anyway. Too many ice cream bars. She's still pretty good too, having defeated Yumi once already in this tournament. It is 2 out of three though so Yumi still has a chance! Queen initially seems to be struggling, as her extra pounds throws off her carefully honed balance and speed. This starts to give Yumi an advantage, but Queenie aint done yet!
There is a flashback to
Queen as a young girl. SQUEEEEEE. She always had a love for Karuta and didn't really seem to be able to do anything else. A lot of these players seem that way.
It cuts to a scene where
Queen was in grade school, and the kids picked on her for her Karuta cards. they tried to hide them, but she had such an attachment to them that she was able to find them all. Queenie loves this Karuta stuff!
Chihaya
starts to cry, because she really loves Karuta too and just wants to practice right now. So dedicated. Yumi ends up losing to Queen again by thirteen cards,. she realizes that she is nowhere near good enough to win against her yet, but vows to give it another try next year.
On to the big one
the Masters. Suo is pretty much unbeatable. The dude is ridiculous. Not only does he have a near automatic command of the one syllable cards, but he knows them well enough that 28 of them are like one syllable cards!
Holy shit.

I'd give it a couple of years before it fades into the background, never to be mentioned again. Just like Toradora.

What do you have against good anime?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Kaichou wa Maid-sama 01:

I mostly hate this show because of Usui and what it represents. Why even bother making the heroine credible as a human being when all you're going to do is have her get supplanted all the time by a man?

God damn shoujo. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom