• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Possibly Teasing FF9 Remake for TGS

Do you think FF9 Remake Will Be Announced At TGS?

• Total voters

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Before X isn't VIII like the only one that has realistic looking character designs? Seems like a weird take.

VII still had the ‘realistic’ looking characters in battles and cg scenes. The anime style was part of its appeal; people think of the full grown models when they think to how Cloud or Tifa look lol The lego chibi models used for the field are a common criticism of that game.

Hudo

If it is a full fledged remake, it wouldn't get announced at TGS. It would be a bigger reveal saved for Game Awards or SE direct during some other major event.

So I'm leaning towards some Crisis Core like 'remake'.
You're probably right. I bet it will have a mobile focus anyway but also be released on consoles/PC just because.

cc5.jpeg
Ehhh, he might be right. Luckily it never detracted from the game at the time. Even if Zidane’s hair looks like that wild/animal kid from Mad Max.

yurinka

Via official twitter - there is a marketing image of FF7 Rebirth and another character from FF9.

FF9 was leaked via Nvidia steam database a while back and then recently this year more leaks about it came as well from other sources.

There is going to be a big FF Sale as well on Steam during it. So maybe this is just an advertisement for that, but who knows.

Which Dragon Quest is the one in the top right of the image? Dragon Quest XII maybe?

Sakura

VII still had the ‘realistic’ looking characters in battles and cg scenes. The anime style was part of its appeal; people think of the full grown models when they think to how Cloud or Tifa look lol The lego chibi models used for the field are a common criticism of that game.
Come on now. It's kind of ridiculous to suggest that IX was some kind of an outlier and the characters were "midgets".
FFIV
Final_Fantasy_IV.jpg

FFV
Final_Fantasy_V_Box_JAP.jpg

FFVI
HMJNyoL.jpg

If you are going to handwave VII by saying it was the art style and the characters looked different in cutscenes, then how is IX any different in that regard? Most of the character designs in IX are totally fine and in line with previous FF games.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Come on now. It's kind of ridiculous to suggest that IX was some kind of an outlier and the characters were "midgets".
FFIV
Final_Fantasy_IV.jpg

FFV
Final_Fantasy_V_Box_JAP.jpg

FFVI
HMJNyoL.jpg

If you are going to handwave VII by saying it was the art style and the characters looked different in cutscenes, then how is IX any different in that regard? Most of the character designs in IX are totally fine and in line with previous FF games.

Well first let me reiterate that I really like IX and don’t mind the character design. I’m trying to convey what the sentiment was towards the character designs from the VII fanbase (12-25 year old dudes). Remember that the audience was essentially quadrupled after VII. Most first time VII players did not play the snes games or any jrpg yet for that matter. People wanted more of the anime style of VII, not IX’s designs. The sales of IX compared to VIII and X reflect that.
IMG-4159.jpg

Imagine you’re a 12 year old boy at blockbuster. Do you really wanna rent the game that looks like this?

You can't just tease me like this. This is my favorite game ever...don't do this unless you mean it Square-Enix!
Consider this a warning :messenger_weary:

Elysion

Banned
Zidane, Eiko, Steiner and Amarant are indeed atrocious designs. I admit that I too found them off-putting back when I first played the game. The others are ok however, Garnet and Vivi in particular. They need to find a way to redesign these characters without anime-fying them too much. They need to strike a fine balance between whimsy and realistic. Zidane’s anime-fied design in Dissidia for example is horrible; he looks even worse than in the original. Maybe it would be enough to change the characters’ body proportions slightly; not too much, but at least make their heads a tiny bit smaller so that they don’t look so chibi like (except for Vivi, he’s perfect). Oh, and give Eiko a different outfit please.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Well first let me reiterate that I really like IX and don’t mind the character design. I’m trying to convey what the sentiment was towards the character designs from the VII fanbase (12-25 year old dudes). Remember that the audience was essentially quadrupled after VII. Most first time VII players did not play the snes games or any jrpg yet for that matter. People wanted more of the anime style of VII, not IX’s designs. The sales of IX compared to VIII and X reflect that.
IMG-4159.jpg

Imagine you’re a 12 year old boy at blockbuster. Do you really wanna rent the game that looks like this?
Lol no , a lot FF fans wanted snes style chibi designs and world after the horrible FF8 designs. That was the biggest praise for FF9 at the time that it looked great and fans loved that it had black, white, and Red mage designs from the old games.

Elysion

Banned
Lol no , a lot FF fans wanted snes style chibi designs and world after the horrible FF8 designs. That was the biggest praise for FF9 at the time that it looked great and fans loved that it had black, white, and Red mage designs from the old games.

‘Old school’ FF fans were the minority by that point. Most people wanted (semi-)realistic character designs, and the sales reflected that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom