• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX: Deadly Descents - 2011 - Trailer - [Update: Website & Description]

Status
Not open for further replies.
AlphaTwo00 said:
Meant this one:
256px-SSX_Blur.jpg

Not Uber-car kart racer from Bizzare.
Oh. I was super confused there :lol

Lijik

Neuromancer said:
All right guys. I know this isn't the SSX we were waiting for. But it might still be a kick ass snowboarding game. I'm going to keep my mind open.
After the initial shock this is what I've settled into.
Also hoping they go for a tongue in cheek route with their dudebroness as far as tone goes.

bridegur said:
The waggling was absolutely awful.

The only problem I ever had was some of the advanced moves not recognizing the motions.
None of the "waggle" was ever a problem.
Of course, now with Motion+, none of that would be a problem.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'd actually prefer if it was just a personality-less "sim" than this special ops shit.

Jimrpg

u know even if this wasn't called SSX - this would still be a shit game... the snowboarding dude looks like he's decked out in military gear, and where are all the rails and other shit u can ride on...

and all those people that think we're over reacting - ur having a laff... u obviously never played an SSX game.

Calcaneus

Maybe I wasn't that affected by the change in tone because I wasn't really waiting for this. I mean, I played a lot of SSX 1 and 3, but not in years. And I wasn't really following the rumors and anticipation. The trailer just came out of nowhere for me.

Contrast that with my reaction to the DmC teaser, which came after weeks of rumors and anticipation, the reaction was a lot more negative even though it basically showed just as much.

So with both these games, we'll have to get over the initial reaction and hope for a good game inside the aesthetic. Its a little easier for me with this game I guess.

arbok26 said:
and all those people that think we're over reacting - ur having a laff... u obviously never played an SSX game.
Not true. I played Tricky to death, unlocked every single outfit and board, and everything. Which if you played that game you'd know what a pain in the ass that was. Logged plenty of hours in SSX3 as well although I didn't like it as much as Tricky.

I'm just trying to keep an open mind, that's all. We know almost nothing about this game. And to be honest there aren't that many snowboarding games these days, compared to last generation, so at this point I'll take what I can get.

Neuromancer said:
Not true. I played Tricky to death, unlocked every single outfit and board, and everything. Which if you played that game you'd know what a pain in the ass that was. Logged plenty of hours in SSX3 as well although I didn't like it as much as Tricky.

I'm just trying to keep an open mind, that's all. We know almost nothing about this game. And to be honest there aren't that many snowboarding games these days, compared to last generation, so at this point I'll take what I can get.
My mental count is remembering a similar output. Last gen it was heavily SSX, with Amped and 1080 being the console exclusive on MS/GC. This gen we have right Amped 3, Shaun White (2 iterations on the Wii now)\, Stoked (1 and a half release) and SSX making some sort of return. It's not great, but it hasn't been completely empty.

Neuromancer said:

I suppose you're right. I'm keeping an open mind, but it's going to be tough.

asdad123

SSX is the game that made me get a PS2. I stood in the gamestop playing the demo for hours. :lol

This though... I wont ever rent it.

Zomba13

Is it safe to say reboots have jumped the shark?

Why does every reboot nowadays have to be a dark, realistic, gritty re-imagining of something usually much more light hearted and fun (not saying that this won't be fun, I mean fun as in tone).

I've never really played an SSX game much apart from Tricky (it's tricky) so I dont have as much care for this series as some but I can understand people being apprehensive or not liking the direction this is going (I still fucking hate Ninja Theory and everyone else involved in DmC).

Also, 2010, year of the reboot announcements? DmC, Tomb Raider, SSX, others I've probably missed.

seanoff

fuck off EA.

SSX now looks like Killzone 3. WTF are you thinking???

I saw nothing in that trailer that reminded me of SSX, unless that is completely unrepresentative of the game, i will not be purchasing this.

WANKERS

only way this can save itself is if its some way over the top self aware "macho" game, on the level with the Commando movie, or duke nukem.

If its trying for "your little brother will think its bad ass!" coolness, then ugh.

:lol

Oh my God. That's like the greatest thing ever. :lol

It's so bad, I really feel like they're trolling everyone. All I can do is laugh at it. :lol

I feel sort of like a hypocrite, because I felt like people were totally overreacting at DmC5 but now I think I understand.

Lijik said:
After the initial shock this is what I've settled into.
Also hoping they go for a tongue in cheek route with their dudebroness as far as tone goes.
That wouldn't be too bad of an idea. It isn't what I wanted, but it would be awesome in its own way.

ZombieSupaStar said:
only way this can save itself is if its some way over the top self aware "macho" game, on the level with the Commando movie, or duke nukem.

If its trying for "your little brother will think its bad ass!" coolness, then ugh.

:lol

so it being a good game won't save it?

SlickVic

Hearing this announcement suddenly made me realize I never really played much of SSX3, despite enjoying Tricky quite a bit. I see used copies on Glyde for $5-$6, maybe I'll dust off the old PS2 and finally give it a shot.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Looks horrible, if they're taking the series in another direction I wish they had went for a Skate like game than this.

legend166

This reminds me of the Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts reveal and subsequent reaction.

You had tons of people saying "I'm sure there will still be heaps of platforming guys! Don't worry, we've only seen a short trailer! Rare wouldn't abandon all the things that made Banjo a successful franchise in the first place."

I mean, AltogetherAndrews is basically playing the exact same role this time around :lol

Much like Banjo Kazooie, there's every chance this SSX turns out decent in its own right. But when it shares barely anything in common with what made everyone love the franchise in the first place, what's the point? May as well call it something different.

bwahhhhh

in the Journey (TGC PS3/PSN game) trailer thread, somebody made a joke that after their 3-game Sony contract ends, they could be free to make dystopian sci-fi shooters.

... this is pretty much that (a "haha, that's radicchio" joke) coming to fruition.

bridegur

I think one of the reasons I'm so disappointed is that Criterion and EA just showed that a franchise can be updated and rebooted without losing sight of what people liked about the original, and now we get this monstrosity. It's crushing.

grumble

This game is not what I wanted at all. I understand modifying the game, but this seems like too much and in the wrong direction. It seems totally disconnected from the series' roots.

I wanted something I could play with a big grin on my face, something 'fun', something addictive and pleasant, and something that frankly has a large untapped market on the Xbox and PS3. Every damn game is a gritty 'hardcore' game, it's getting totally saturated and offering something different could have made the game a big seller.

After thinking about it some more, I don't think there's any way this game's going to be as serious and "dudebro" as the trailer makes it seem. I mean, think of past SSX games. They were full of extremely weird, colorful characters. Fitting them in a "dudebro" game would probably be hilarious.

The devs who made this game are probably sitting at their computers, reading the comments, and saying, "Good. All according to plan."

On another note, as much as the trailer weirds me out, I still endorse devs not listening to their fans. Remember Wind Waker, and its reveal? And then Twilight Princess, the result of listening to the fans?

StuBurns

Banned
bridegur said:
I think one of the reasons I'm so disappointed is that Criterion and EA just showed that a franchise can be updated and rebooted without losing sight of what people liked about the original, and now we get this monstrosity. It's crushing.
I think it shows what's wrong with EA.

A few years ago they bankrolled Mirror's Edge, Dead Space and LMNO, now look at them? For shame.

Teknoman said:
Well yeah, but I think that some of the reactions should be toned down a little...at least until we see actual in game footage.

Btw people keep mentioning Tricky...no one liked SSX3 or On Tour?

Personally I preferred SSX 3 to Tricky. I loved SSX 1 & Tricky, but Tricky felt too much like 1 for me.

bridegur

betweenthewheels said:
If it plays amazing, then I can tolerate the shitty style.

This is how I feel, but all rumors point to it dropping the already-perfect SSX controls. It's like EA is doing everything in its power to crush my hopes for the franchise.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
legend166 said:
This reminds me of the Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts reveal and subsequent reaction.

You had tons of people saying "I'm sure there will still be heaps of platforming guys! Don't worry, we've only seen a short trailer! Rare wouldn't abandon all the things that made Banjo a successful franchise in the first place."

I mean, AltogetherAndrews is basically playing the exact same role this time around :lol

Much like Banjo Kazooie, there's every chance this SSX turns out decent in its own right. But when it shares barely anything in common with what made everyone love the franchise in the first place, what's the point? May as well call it something different.

Brand recognition and hatred.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom