• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen's Citizencon 2016 Presentation Livestream | Today @ 3PM PDT

Sinistral

Yep, it's pretty telling since many systems like AI aren't complete, many levels are merely grey-boxed, ships that are going to be in SQ42 aren't complete, etc.

Bolded for emphasis. SQ42 is a 2018 game at this point IMO. Star Citizen will push closer to 2020. Late 2019 at least.

I'm all for getting everything right and as promised but let's not kid ourselves.

But I also heard something that I have not heard before, I don't know if it was a slip or already planned but at one point in the presentation Roberts mentioned a "Squadron 42 Chapter 1" or something. Was there talks an episodic release schedule? I mean I can see chapter 1 for 2017...

Bolded for emphasis. SQ42 is a 2018 game at this point IMO. Star Citizen will push closer to 2020. Late 2019 at least.

I'm all for getting everything right and as promised but let's not kid ourselves.

Yeah those are roughly where I had my bets on release windows. Seems to be more realistic. Maybe Q3/4 2017 for Squadron, but doubtful.

Look forward to seeing the PTU evolve over that time. Dropping in and out to check things out.

I'm loving this. It's like everything we went through with NMS and we get to live through it again! This is gonna rock.

How so? CIG definitely have incredibly high hopes for their potential game but it is nothing like a NMS situation in terms of development. We are talking massive teams with a lot of money. Not just Sean Murray smiling and nodding while his team sweats behind him (Although CR does that a bit haha). Without a publisher on top of that it looks as though they will just keep working on it until they feel it is done, hence the delays. I'm hopeful.

But I also heard something that I have not heard before, I don't know if it was a slip or already planned but at one point in the presentation Roberts mentioned a "Squadron 45 Chapter 1" or something. Was there talks an episodic release schedule? I mean I can see chapter 1 for 2017...

To be perfectly real I will be surprised if we are playing S42 by this time next year.

There is absolutely no way this disappoints. I mean it's got everything so nothing will go wrong.

Ohh wait that's never actually happened - ever. This is the greatest set up and I legit feel bad for the true believers.

This game is going to receive the reckoning that will be 10x more than anything No Man's Sky got if they don't follow through on their hundreds of promises and especially if this demo turned out to be super scripted and that "dynamic" sandstorms or encountering sandworms like that are cut out.

This game is going to receive the reckoning that will be 10x more than anything No Man's Sky got if they don't follow through on their hundreds of promises and especially if this demo turned out to be super scripted and that "dynamic" sandstorms or encountering sandworms like that are cut out.

Seriously. The cringe is real. And the reckoning can't be delayed for ever.

But I also heard something that I have not heard before, I don't know if it was a slip or already planned but at one point in the presentation Roberts mentioned a "Squadron 45 Chapter 1" or something. Was there talks an episodic release schedule? I mean I can see chapter 1 for 2017...

He's spoken on the topic before, but rather than being a self-contained storyline, there are plans for multiple single-player campaigns, e.g. the first release is Squadron 42: Act 1.

To be perfectly real I will be surprised if we are playing S42 by this time next year.

You'd want them to spend at least six months with features and content locked while they focus on fixing bugs and optimization and that just doesn't seem possible at this point.

Jinkies

Holiday 2018 for Squadron 42 Chapter 1 seems like a real estimate, with sometime in 2021 for Chapter 2.

Star Citizen will "disappoint" a lot of people, but it is already a good game. It will be the best game ever by certain metrics once the 3.0 release comes out.

Despite all this, Star Citizen will continue to be torn apart by those who have made a minor hobby out of hating it.

Outrun

It feels like I will be in my mid-forties when SQ42 releases. (41 now)

Would it be crazy if a large Dev announces and releases a similar product before GIC?

SnowTeeth

Banned
I'm loving this. It's like everything we went through with NMS and we get to live through it again! This is gonna rock.

Blowing your load over wanting something of this scale to fail is seriously disturbing.

That's a whole lot of wishful thinking on your part though - try not to be too disappointed when it's released and others are having fun with it.

You'd want them to spend at least six months with features and content locked while they focus on fixing bugs and optimization and that just doesn't seem possible at this point.

Definitely. They still haven't nailed down the flight model yet too. So there is going to be a lot of fine tuning missions and scripting once that gets finalized.

The difference here is that you can actually try the demo of the game already. I'm not really disagreeing with you, it might be crap still, but the level of openess between this and NMS is different at least to a degree.

With NMS it was a real "pig in the bag" (as they say around here..)

Didn't they say one of the chapters of Squadron 42 is undergoing final polish right now? That would indicate a much closer release than some here are guessing.

MikeDown

Banned
He claims he wants the S42 demo to be perfect or super-polished or whatever. Judging from the recent Star Citizen demos, they're definitely not there. He also mentioned wanting to have the S42 demo ready by the end of the year but didn't actually give an official timeline.

I'm thinking we won't get S42 until 2018.
2022 at this rate. They have missed nearly every deadline that they have set for themselves, which is really unfortunate.

KKRT00

Squadron 42 is not 2018 title lol. Come on.
It wont probably launch in Q1, but it should be ready end of by Q2 2017.
They need probably like additional 3-4 months for AI stuff and like 5 months for assets, but generally when they finish AI, they can start testing game from gameplay standpoint, which will probably take like 4 months at most.
Rest of the stuff they lack is not affecting polish state, just engine part.

---

The difference is that nothing they ever showed was cut, instead they added things to public builds.
Also the difference is that first NMS showcase had more features than final game. In case of Star Citizen just compare gamescom demo to this demo, its way more improved, instead of regressed.

Burny

He also mentioned wanting to have the S42 demo ready by the end of the year but didn't actually give an official timeline.

I'm thinking we won't get S42 until 2018.

We ARE at the end of the year. Whatever they can't get into a presentable state until early October - not even as a bloody non interactive trailer for their backer payed con-charade where they have some publicity - they won't suddenly release as demo until December.

What does get released, is a whole lot of hot air when Roberts handeavingly promises the sky, while even the scripted part of their demo breaks.

Edit: And while we're at handwaving, here's a gif of the man himself, designing the flight model:

KrWR38.gif

Which pretty accurately describes its state BTW. Unsatisfactory.

deleted

So I watched bits and pieces of the presentation - mostly the live demo of the desert planet.

Was that for the PTU or SQ42? And what did they say about SQ42 - shouldn't this be the big information blowout with release date and such?

Either way, that looked really impressive. Excited to try it out once it hits either the PTU or when SQ42 releases...

Burny

Was that for the PTU or SQ42? And what did they say about SQ42 - shouldn't this be the big information blowout with release date and such?

From what I heard, they made it clear that this is not the game, but what they're going for. No mention whether in terms of S42 or SC.

Spectone

I was actually pretty impressed even though it is a big janky and scripted. Don't know if I will buy into this but I will keep watching progress.

So I watched bits and pieces of the presentation - mostly the live demo of the desert planet.

Either way, that looked really impressive. Excited to try it out once it hits either the PTU or when SQ42 releases...

What they showed today was Procedural Planets tech v2, the Gamescom planet was a v1 planet. To make things simple, in v2 artists are given tools that artists used for Crysis fidelity levels at a planetary scale. So on this planet you saw they can make planets have much more variety (desert, mountains, bits of forest) rather than the 1 rocky material we saw in the gamescom demo. This was more about showing that they've built out these tools and what that means for the game. Weather and cloud systems are driven by the biomes on the planet, heres a few videos that expand some more on the subject and other stuff about the game. SQ42 was supposed to be demoed, but Chris said it isn't at the level of polish they want it to be at yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDROliuDczo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbWh5inW7Fw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB_AI9ukSp8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_jq_dCW6Jc

Didn't they say one of the chapters of Squadron 42 is undergoing final polish right now? That would indicate a much closer release than some here are guessing.

Their slide did say they're taking one chapter to "final shipping quality." I still feel like the first chapter of Squadron 42 will release in the first half of 2017.

elyetis

Planet tech is still really impressive, bringing biome to the table sure make it far more interesting.

But all in all that was a pretty disapointing Citizencon, which actually make me feel like my conservative ( and some would have said, pessimistic ) expectation since gamescon :
My current expectation is March for 3.0, June for SQ42.
It could lead me to being pleasantly surprised by an early release, while not setting me up for disapointement if there is a delay, like there was for (almost?) every "major" release up until now.
Feel like it actually might have been too optimistic, at least for SQ42.

We ARE at the end of the year. Whatever they can't get into a presentable state until early October - not even as a bloody non interactive trailer for their backer payed con-charade where they have some publicity - they won't suddenly release as demo until December.

What does get released, is a whole lot of hot air when Roberts handeavingly promises the sky, while even the scripted part of their demo breaks.

Edit: And while we're at handwaving, here's a gif of the man himself, designing the flight model:

KrWR38.gif

Which pretty accurately describes its state BTW. Unsatisfactory.

He clearly explained why the SQ42 mission wasn't going to be shown. The whole point of showing that mission was going to be that it was representative of the level of quality the rest of the game is going to be upon release. It is very obviously in a presentable state but it's not in a 100% finished state, which was what they wanted to show. There are still two months left of the year. Considering in the past 3 weeks they got to a very nearly finished state for that chapter they were going to show, chances are it will be shown before 2017.

There is absolutely no way this disappoints. I mean it's got everything so nothing will go wrong.

Ohh wait that's never actually happened - ever. This is the greatest set up and I legit feel bad for the true believers.

It's really hard to tell if comments like this are serious or if they're just trolling. You have absolutely no reason to think it's a "set up". So far what they've shown is very impressive and indicates that they will actually be able to do what they've said.

Burny

The whole point of showing that mission was going to be that it was representative of the level of quality the rest of the game is going to be upon release. It is very obviously in a presentable state but it's not in a 100% finished state, which was what they wanted to show.

Show, don't tell. And I'm afraid, that's CIG's job, not yours. So far they've missed everything from this year's E3, over Gamescom to Citicincon to show something of Squadron 42. They didn't even manage to put together a scripted trailer.

If 125$ Mio. backer money and four years aren't enough to do that, while the development is simultaneously hailed as oh-so-open by the believing portion of the backers, there's no indication or cause for trust that another two years will make the Squadron 42 campaign any good.

~Cross~

Holiday 2018 for Squadron 42 Chapter 1 seems like a real estimate, with sometime in 2021 for Chapter 2.

This expectation is beyond conservative. 2 more years in full production at this staff size means 60-70 million more in production costs. I dont think they can wait that long to launch something the vast majority of the playerbase already owns.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Holiday 2017 for S42 in my opinion: a 2018 release is just too long to wait for the general backer I would think....hard to say though.

Loved the gameplay demo, hoping I'm right and my optimism is rewarded in the stars come holiday time next year!

jett

D-Member
Yeah, get 'em Burny. That presentation was pretty weak. I'll have some crow with my holiday dinner here.

Agreed. I actually thought it was terrible. Four years later and we get something that resembles woefully unfinished proof of concept. That encounter with the sand people is not the sort of thing you demo.

Agreed. I actually thought it was terrible. Four years later and we get something that resembles woefully unfinished proof of concept. That encounter with the sand people is not the sort of thing you demo.

It was more a demo for the procedural planets and the scale along with the sort of thing you'll be able to find on the planets rather than that specific encounter. Of course it's unfinished when it's alpha.

How is "Four years later" in any way bad when games typically take years to develop in the first place, regardless of the sort of scale, complexity and attempts at boundary-pushing that Star Citizen has? Not to mention the scope increase early on and it was revealed pretty much right after development started.

Top Bottom