• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 5 character gets less-sexy underwear 'in Fear of Western Criticism'

Ploid 3.0

Is this just about an underwear?

Come the fuck on, now lol

EDIT: Also LOL at the japanese reactions. Considering they DO censor the shit out of violent western games, they should shut the fuck up.

I have no horse in this race (I don't care about underwear), but I'd rather they censor violence than sex. Everyone eventually participate in sexy activities and it's natural/encouraged. Not everyone participate in violent acts and it's highly discouraged.

"DO NOT CONSORT WITH FOREIGNERS"

SourCriminalAustraliancattledog.gif

As long as this is still in the game, I am content.
Amazing gif.

Kalentan

She's under 18 right? So why are they even trying to sexualize her in the first place? Why are these guys so obsessed with being able to see a teen girls panties?

Soulflarz

Banned
In being wrong, sure.

Especially since it's basically generalizing our opinions (er, people in america who have one, I don't care about larger panties or w/e) to the statement "doesn't matter, your country has violent games!"

*cough* drakengard *cough* killer7 *cough*

I mean, again, it's up to the devs. I personally didn't see anyone complaining, I'm guessing that was moreso a precautionary thing.

packy34

In being wrong, sure.

Nothing about his statement is wrong. Nobody gives two fucks about excessive violence in western games. But should someone dare to render a female character in any way that can be possibly seen as remotely sexual and you've got 25 articles from Kotaku about how the entire industry is sexist

What a hill to die on: skimpier panties on underaged girls.

We may have our problems with how gamers on this side of the world reacted to the greater discussion of the depiction of women in video games but atm having that same conversation in Japan seems like an insurmountable task.

She's under 18 right? So why are they even trying to sexualize her in the first place? Why are these guys so obsessed with being able to see a teen girls panties?
1) Probably not all commenters are so much older than 18.

2) It's virtual stuff, let people enjoy whatever they want.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

Different culture, age of consent is 13 in Japan, sexualized teenagers are a thing there.

I'm not big on it either, but I also understand different viewpoints and takes on it.

What a hill to die on: skimpier panties on underaged girls.

We may have our problems with how gamers on this side of the world reacted to the greater discussion of the depiction of women in video games but having that same conversation in Japan can't happen without some serious societal changes.

Miki is 18 in the game. The only underage character is Relia, and she's pretty much covered from head to toe.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
They are right to be pissed because the censorship affects their version, too. Imagine the shitstorm here if the nudity in Witcher 3 would've been censored because of the JPN version.

If it was just the NA version then I don't think they would have cared.

Instro

Nothing about his statement is wrong. Nobody gives two fucks about excessive violence in western games. But should someone dare to render a female character in any way that can be possibly seen as remotely sexual and you've got 25 articles from Kotaku about how the entire industry is sexist

I think the issue is taken with underage characters more than anything.

eggandI

Banned
Wait, this is in both the domestic and international version? That's absurd - do what you have to in order to allay the criticism of western reactionaries, but don't take a hatchet to the original game as well. This could set some really troubling precedents.
Slightly less sexualixed 14 year olds - a really troubling precedent

I think every developer is free to make decisions and changes however they want, but one thing that bothers me is that things should be made without fear. I know money is king and the whole point is to sell as much as possible, but having a creative decision you make that effect all versions be based on minimizing flak because you are worried about the values of another non-home audience, it does seem strange to me. Usually if something were change in localization it is done for that region only, like changing the Fatman in Fallout to Nuka Launcher in Japan to avoid the naming reference to Hiroshima and Nagasaki (and to be fair that is just a slight text change compared to a model change). But all in all, I don't think this detail will effect sales at all if they didn't say anything, but what might effect it is any perception they receive such as articles making it seem like they are bending over for other people, since there are stories that some buyers are extremely fickle.

I didn't think that it'll also affect the Japanese version. Those poor people.

"All foreigners play are games where you slaughter people indifferently. So they got a lot of nerve to speak up about small things like this in other countries' games"

Well can't argue with that.

Yup.

Platy

This kind of "decrease of objectification" from Japan just show how ingrained objectification is in their minds.

Different culture, age of consent is 13 in Japan, sexualized teenagers are a thing there.

I'm not big on it either, but I also understand different viewpoints and takes on it.

Age of consent doesn't actually work that way here in Japan, but teenagers are sexualized regardless.

They are right to be pissed because the censorship affects their version, too. Imagine the shitstorm here if the nudity in Witcher 3 would've been censored because of the JPN version.

If it was just the NA version then I don't think they would have cared.

This. I would be mad too.

salromano

bkfoaMf.gif

Also, a more accurate version of that quote (because the one posted makes it sound like they've added more clothes all over the game):

"Regarding Miki, it's been pointed out overseas that "it's not good for teens to wear sexual underwear," so we've increased the surface area of the cloth."

Yes we do. We talk about it all the time from recent things like new Tomb Raider games. Along with that the two arguments aren't comparable and kotaku would probably only makes one article about the continued sexism taking place in our industry.

Jiraiza

I feel like a good joke could be made with the game's title of Integrity and Faithlessness in lieu of the Japanese otaku backlash.

...Someone think of one because I can't!

Golnei

Slightly less sexualixed 14 year olds - a really troubling precedent

Leaving aside the fact that she's 18, the precedent I'm worried about isn't related to the changes themselves - the disembowelment of Japanese games in international releases is well-established, especially in the current social climate - the problem is the changes not being limited to localised games, but every version. The world shouldn't suffer for America's prudishness.

Top Bottom