• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR WARS: The Clone Wars - Season VI now on Netflix

Status
Not open for further replies.

ankuo

Banned
It might end up being better than TCW since they have the freedom of new characters and a larger period of time to work with. As long as they don't fluff it up too much for kids (the current show is at a healthy level for both audiences, some dialog notwithstanding), it should do well. We'll have to see a few episodes in action first before we can know for certain, but TCW demonstrates that even a rocky start can improve over time. I must say, initial character designs haven't impressed me though.

ugh. i know the new characters look like @$@%. But being a star wars fanatic ill end up watching it anyways even how $%## it might end up being. That being said i hope they show more of the Politics of the senate when the emperor takes charge. He changed it to regional control rather then central. we never got a image of how society was after the culling of the jedi.

Woorloog

Banned
ugh. i know the new characters look like @$@%. But being a star wars fanatic ill end up watching it anyways even how $%## it might end up being. That being said i hope they show more of the Politics of the senate when the emperor takes charge. He changed it to regional control rather then central. we never got a image of how society was after the culling of the jedi.

I'd love to see them explain how the galaxy forgot the Jedi and the Force in just 20 years.
I think it is pretty clear there was supposed to be longer than 20 year gap between the establishment of the Empire and A New Hope.
Yes, there were only 10000 Jedi at their height and they were the major Force using organization in a galaxy of trillions of beings but still they were rather well known (consider episode 1, where both Watto and Anakin are aware of the existence of Jedi despite living on a backwater planet far from the galaxy's more lived sections).

ankuo

Banned
I'd love to see them explain how the galaxy forgot the Jedi and the Force in just 20 years.
I think it is pretty clear there was supposed to be longer than 20 year gap between the establishment of the Empire and A New Hope.
Yes, there were only 10000 Jedi at their height and they were the major Force using organization in a galaxy of trillions of beings but still they were rather well known (consider episode 1, where both Watto and Anakin are aware of the existence of Jedi despite living on a backwater planet far from the galaxy's more lived sections).

Ye man good point. but i have a feeling they are just going to skip the juicy things us fans want and go for the more broader narrative for the masses.. And do we have any light on how this was actually done? or was it just said and we all accepted this ?

Nowhere did they ever say the galaxy forgot about the Jedi, from the OT it's clear that people knew of them, but 2 decades of no Jedi, and people are going to largely not be talking about them. And with a galaxy of millions of planets, a few thousand Jedi are going to be a rarity, majority of the galaxy will have never seen a Jedi even at the height of the Order. It's like Warhammer 40k where all you see is Space Marines, yet in reality the majority of people of that universe likely will never see one in their lifetime. The Jedi have been extinct for 2 decades, what do you really expect people to be constantly talking about them for some reason?

The force is always there, that also was not eradicated, but without a Jedi order to train force users, you will not have anymore Jedi.

ankuo

Banned

I want them to also show how palpatine started to distrust the clones and showed how they amalgamated the normal population into the army.

Woorloog

Banned
Nowhere did they ever say the galaxy forgot about the Jedi, from the OT it's clear that people knew of them, but 2 decades of no Jedi, and people are going to largely not be talking about them. And with a galaxy of millions of planets, a few thousand Jedi are going to be a rarity, majority of the galaxy will have never seen a Jedi even at the height of the Order. It's like Warhammer 40k where all you see is Space Marines, yet in reality the majority of people of that universe likely will never see one in their lifetime.

The force is always there, that also was not eradicated, but without a Jedi order to train force users, you will not have anymore Jedi.

Han Solo and the Imperial officer Vader tried to choke disagree, i think. Both treat the Force like non-existent things (and a religion). Sure, they knew of the Jedi but the Force?
Perhaps i should rephrase what i want: Show us that the Galaxy in general knows nothing about the Force or the Jedi, as they statistically speaking should.

EDIT probably too much to ask. Bringing some mysticism back to the Force would be nice though.

ankuo

Banned
Nowhere did they ever say the galaxy forgot about the Jedi, from the OT it's clear that people knew of them, but 2 decades of no Jedi, and people are going to largely not be talking about them. And with a galaxy of millions of planets, a few thousand Jedi are going to be a rarity, majority of the galaxy will have never seen a Jedi even at the height of the Order. It's like Warhammer 40k where all you see is Space Marines, yet in reality the majority of people of that universe likely will never see one in their lifetime. The Jedi have been extinct for 2 decades, what do you really expect people to be constantly talking about them for some reason?

This is true. A new hope the bar scenes on tatoine people knew them.

I want them to also show how palpatine started to distrust the clones and showed how they amalgamated the normal population into the army.

They already stated part of Rebels is how they switched from Clones to recruitment. Never really any indication of distrust of the clones. If anything, recruitment simply would be alot faster than having to grow billions of Imperial troops. Plus Imperial military must be one heck of an economic booster :p

Han Solo and the Imperial officer Vader tried to choke disagree, i think. Both treat the Force like non-existent things (and a religion). Sure, they knew of the Jedi but the Force?
Perhaps i should rephrase what i want: Show us that the Galaxy in general knows nothing about the Force or the Jedi, as they statistically speaking should.

EDIT probably too much to ask. Bringing some mysticism back to the Force would be nice though.

Majority of these folks lives at the point of the OT, would not have seen or heard of any actual feats of the Jedi. And even at the height of the Jedi order, once again most folks would only have heard stories of what they could do. In Prequel and clone wars materials, people encountering the Jedi for first times often seem oblivious to their capabilities as well.

Galaxy is not going to believe in the magical nature of the force if its not visible anymore. Solo is a well traveled person obviously and never saw the force do anything till he met Luke

TeddyBoy

They already stated part of Rebels is how they switched from Clones to recruitment. Never really any indication of distrust of the clones. If anything, recruitment simply would be alot faster than having to grow billions of Imperial troops. Plus Imperial military must be one heck of an economic booster :p

I was under the impression it wasn't the clones they distrusted, it was the Kaminoans. They created the entire Clone army and had too much power (to make them more loyal to Kamino over the Chancellor or by stopping the supply), so by stopping the production of clones and switching to recruitment you stop one group of people gaining too much power.

Started watching season 6 a few hours ago, I thought it released next friday, I love it so far! Decided to put off my assignments for a night, I missed Star Wars too much! :D

He's more attuned to the force than everyone else? Wasn't it mentioned that he has a higher midi count than Yoda?

Or maybe it's down to the time he spent on the force planet?

How does that explain Obi-wan then? He passed before Yoda, so we are to assume Yoda taught Obi-Wan this between then and episode 3 or because he was on that planet as well? Not saying any of those scenarios aren't believable, just looking for a reasonable answer :)

How does that explain Obi-wan then? He passed before Yoda, so we are to assume Yoda taught Obi-Wan this between then and episode 3 or because he was on that planet as well? Not saying any of those scenarios aren't believable, just looking for a reasonable answer :)

At the end of Revenge of the Sith, Yoda tells Obi-Wan that whilst he's on Tatooine Qui-Gon will train him to be one with the Force.

It was during the ending of Episode 3 that Yoda revealed to Obi-Wan that he had been in contact with the deceased Qui-Gon Jin. Not that hard to assume since Qui-Gon taught Yoda thus he taught Obi-Wan during the time period of Ep 3 and Ep 4.

It could be a combination of doing what Yoda did along with being on the force planet? Could also he due to him helping to bring balance to the force?

This is pure speculation on my part and it seems unlikely we'll ever get an official answer.

It was during the ending of Episode 3 that Yoda revealed to Obi-Wan that he had been in contact with the deceased Qui-Gon Jin. Not that hard to assume since Qui-Gon taught Yoda thus he taught Obi-Wan during the time period of Ep 3 and Ep 4.

That's right! It's been a while since I've watched epIII. Dave Filoni and crew, man. They got it all figured out. I do wish the show ended with Obi and Anakin getting in their star fighters and head into the opening battle of episode III bit it was still a great season and "ending".

Everyone is wondering about
Ahsoka
and I'm here wondering what happened to Cad Bane.

For years I always got this confused with the gennedy clone wars stuff.

Never really watched it. I'll give the first season a watch...

Then just end up watching the rest most likely.

IISANDERII

When does the show become really good?

I watched the movie those years ago but was bored stiff. Tried watching a bit of the show from season 1 but couldn't get into.

And I usually really enjoy Star Wars, even the prequels entertain me well enough.

Help

Sent

When does the show become really good?

I watched the movie those years ago but was bored stiff. Tried watching a bit of the show from season 1 but couldn't get into.

And I usually really enjoy Star Wars, even the prequels entertain me well enough.

Help

Uhhh I dunno further along than season 1, but season 1 had good stuff (Clone plots etc). The show is a big step up from the prequels (if you get through it).

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
This is true. A new hope the bar scenes on tatoine people knew them.

I always figured it was mostly Luke and Han who were ignorant about them. We didn't really get a broader view than that, did we?

Yah it's also important to explain storm troopers of different heights from the original trilogy.

Ya1Yz.gif

By the way I enjoyed Jar Jar's Indiana Jones adventure. I mean, what the hell, right? Surely the last time we'll see him ever. Good sendoff.

Dave Filoni put up a blog post on starwars.com with some concept art from unproduced episodes as a thank you:

As a small token of thanks for all your support, I thought you might enjoy seeing some of my sketches from one of our last Clone Wars writer’s conferences. I love theories, and I am sure you will have many after seeing these images.

While we weren’t able to tell every story in the Clone Wars era, there is plenty to look forward to. Every day there are amazing new Star Wars stories being developed here at Lucasfilm. I guess my intention here is to encourage you all to dream, to imagine, not just what these stories might have been, but what the possibilities are for other new stories which have never been told before. And maybe the person who tells those stories will be you. I hope you have enjoyed what was, and what yet might be, a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away…

first arc makes you think.... maybe there is a long term side effect of activating that chip.

Storm troopers being large part a joke in combat maybe a result of that.

TeddyBoy

I finished watching the series now, I can't wait to get them on blu-ray when they release here in the UK.

I really enjoyed the finale, lots of little references and extreme foreshadowing. I'll miss this show, it really helped bridge the gap between Episode 3 and 4. Although I do wish they'd of remade the original Clone Wars animated series in this show, a few nice battles and a crucial buildup to Episode 3 were there to be fixed and mended, oh well :(

I'm looking forward to the Rebels series and Episode 7, it'll be quite weird seeing where they take both series.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
So let me get this straight... there is no conclusion to
Ahsoka and Maul storylines ?
Hmm... I wonder if they will be used in Ep. VII somehow.

Flunkie

Banned
Starting this soon. Always wanted to get into it but never did... now I can binge watch! I've been on a bad SW kick. I'm playing both iOS games atm and have gotten addicted to The Old Republic recently. Will be watching on my free time.

Shaanyboi

Banned
So just started watching the show

Eh... I dunno. I'm finding a hard time caring. After shows like Avatar, Spectacular Spider-Man, Young Justice, or Green Lantern, there's something about this show (probably due to most of the vocal performances) that make it hard for me to care about any of the characters. The drama just plays totally flat.

So just started watching the show

Eh... I dunno. I'm finding a hard time caring. After shows like Avatar, Spectacular Spider-Man, Young Justice, or Green Lantern, there's something about this show (probably due to most of the vocal performances) that make it hard for me to care about any of the characters. The drama just plays totally flat.

First what episode are you on? Secondly after the first season it gets much better I swear.

Shaanyboi

Banned
First what episode are you on? Secondly after the first season it gets much better I swear.
Just saw the one where the squad of clones had to hold out by themselves, there was the one old janitor guy...

I don't totally blame them. I mean there's only so much expression the voice actor for Yoda can put in while still emulating Frank Oz, and the VA for Anakin atleast seems WAY more mature than fucking Hayden Christensen's take.

But there are so few moments that let the characters play off of each other, so few human touches to the overall direction that it's just cold and kinda sterile.

antonz

alol.

Tim Curry is the emprah ?

He came in as what would end up being a last minute substitute when the Original Voice actor died. He came in just before Disney axed Clone Wars.

first arc makes you think.... maybe there is a long term side effect of activating that chip.

Storm troopers being large part a joke in combat maybe a result of that.

I suspect Order 66 was a huge issue for the clones. It is commented by Tup and Fives that the clones have nightmares when they sleep and it isn't clarified what the nightmare is but it could very well they dream about order 66 and killing the Jedi.
When Tups more or less breaks down he keeps having to repeat to himself good soldiers follow orders to get himself to go through with the killing.
The chip if anything probably deactivates any kind of morality so when the time comes it isn't an issue to kill the Jedi

Every season improves so much. This may start out as a kid's show but totally turns into a great Star Wars series. I'm very excited to see where they take Rebels. Hopefully it avoids the slow start Clone Wars had (movie and season 1).

Just saw the one where the squad of clones had to hold out by themselves, there was the one old janitor guy...

I don't totally blame them. I mean there's only so much expression the voice actor for Yoda can put in while still emulating Frank Oz, and the VA for Anakin atleast seems WAY more mature than fucking Hayden Christensen's take.

But there are so few moments that let the characters play off of each other, so few human touches to the overall direction that it's just cold and kinda sterile.

Season 3 huh, well I guess if you are in this far you should just drop it because its pretty much the same quality to the end.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Season 3 huh, well I guess if you are in this far you should just drop it because its pretty much the same quality to the end.

Er... what? No. I just looked it up, it's like episode 5 of season 1.

The most important thing that I learned from animated action shows like Young Justice and Spectacular Spider-Man that I've tried applying to my own work as a board artist is the importance of subtlety in acting. I don't mean purely in terms of the animation during dialogue or whatever, but rather the off-hand looks, the glances, and expressions that may never be brought up in the script or are in no way central to the plot at hand, but that tell you so much about what's going on with the characters at any given moment. When one character says a line, then we cut to a character's expression in the background that, again, may not at all be central to the plot and might not be vocalized for a long time, but explains the relationships or views characters have with one another. Spectacular Spider-Man did this almost perfectly, and while it doesn't seem like it at the time, it adds so much.

This show, as far as I've seen has done nothing of the sort. All the character feels very surface-level. Added to the fact that there isn't much charm or humanity to the characters as far as I've seen...

Watched the last arc. So Lucas basically trolled the entire EU fan base as a farewell gift by
changing Korriban's name to Moraband
for no reason what-so-ever.

Amazaing. -_-

Mariolee

So i'm guessing
Ahsoka survives Order 66 and appears on Rebels?

There is no way she doesn't show up. She was an og creation by Filoni's team, and her fate was still left vague by the end of Clone Wars. They are definitely going to address it.

Mariolee

Watched the last arc. So Lucas basically trolled the entire EU fan base as a farewell gift by
changing Korriban's name to Moraband
for no reason what-so-ever.

Amazaing. -_-

It has both names. Its an ancient planet thats been called many names at many times. I believe Lucas chose to change the name in order to reflect how this fact.

Dave Filoni put up a blog post on starwars.com with some concept art from unproduced episodes as a thank you:

Man, Cad Bane had to be my fav (with S4-S5 Ahsoka coming in a close second) character to come out of the Clone Wars. Those sketches with him and Boba and then him with the rest of the Bounty Hunter crew makes me wish we saw a proper send off. Dude was so good and better than Boba ever had a chance to be. In that situation on the skiff in Ep VI, there is no way Cad Bane would have been taken out by Han Solo so easily.

Er... what? No. I just looked it up, it's like episode 5 of season 1.

The most important thing that I learned from animated action shows like Young Justice and Spectacular Spider-Man that I've tried applying to my own work as a board artist is the importance of subtlety in acting. I don't mean purely in terms of the animation during dialogue or whatever, but rather the off-hand looks, the glances, and expressions that may never be brought up in the script or are in no way central to the plot at hand, but that tell you so much about what's going on with the characters at any given moment. When one character says a line, then we cut to a character's expression in the background that, again, may not at all be central to the plot and might not be vocalized for a long time, but explains the relationships or views characters have with one another. Spectacular Spider-Man did this almost perfectly, and while it doesn't seem like it at the time, it adds so much.

This show, as far as I've seen has done nothing of the sort. All the character feels very surface-level. Added to the fact that there isn't much charm or humanity to the characters as far as I've seen...
Oh man sorry thinking of another episode. Anyway season 1 is where they were finding their footing and is not the best representation of the series. Season 2 and onward really fleshes out the star wars universe and puts these characters in situations where you see different sides to these characters. Surprisingly the show takes on darker themes and grey morality of war. The history of characters like obi wan shows brings a new light to his role in lV. I talk to much so ride out the rest of season 1 and if you don't like it just drop it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom