• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR WARS: The Clone Wars - Season VI now on Netflix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Oh man sorry thinking of another episode. Anyway season 1 is where they were finding their footing and is not the best representation of the series. Season 2 and onward really fleshes out the star wars universe and puts these characters in situations where you see different sides to these characters. Surprisingly the show takes on darker themes and grey morality of war. The history of characters like obi wan shows brings a new light to his role in lV. I talk to much so ride out the rest of season 1 and if you don't like it just drop it.

Yeah i intend on seeing where it goes. I won't put much stock in Season 1 from what you're saying.

I've watched this series on and off over the years and enjoyed it, but the first 3 episodes of this season were rough, in particular the writing and voice acting... does the season improve?

antonz

lol wait, you're telling me it's not in order??

Until the 10th episode of Season 3 they jumped around a bunch in the clone wars timeline. In the 10th Episode of Season 3 we see Ahsoka aged up a bit and Anakin and Obiwan get reworked model wise and timeline stays pretty inline

lol wait, you're telling me it's not in order??

Yeah... What gives? lol...

They're not out of order, but the series was conceived as an anthology series, and jumps around in the timeline for various reasons. For example, once Lucas saw the Season 1 episode "Rookies", he liked it so much that he had the team produce a prequel. Another example is the first episode of Season 5 was aired out of order because they wanted to follow up immediately on the return of a certain character at the end of the previous season, and airing the episode in order would have meant leaving that plotline hanging for 3/4 of the season.

You'll still be perfectly fine if you want to watch them in airing order.

S6 E10:

Damn, what an episode.
Nice to finally see TCW reference Sifo-Dyas and reveal a few things to the characters. It's a shame they still don't connect the dots until it's too late. lol at palpatine playing dumb.The duel with Dooku was very well done - probably the best the 3 of them have had for the whole series. Obi-Wan always gets knocked down so easily by Dooku. The pyke design was a bit jarring and silman was (intentionally I assume) disturbing, but I enjoyed it otherwise. Even Valorum was brought back.

I'd forgotten about some of the prequel episodes. Will update OP.

S6 E11:

This is one of the best downtime episodes in the series. A great throwback to the old films and good development of
Yoda. Was nice to hear Neeson as Qui Gon again, though I knew he wouldn't reappear without mentioning midichlorians. Once again they have so many signs pointing to what happens in the third film, but they don't put them together until it's too late.

The music was exceptionally well done this episode too.

S6 E12:

YES
I knew they wouldn't close TCW without one last mention of Ahsoka. It was only a brief moment, but seeing her made me miss her presence on the show. That entire scene was trippy. Yoda saying Ahsoka's name hit right in the feels. I wish they had animated some sort of alternate "what if" story without sith to show all the jedi in peaceful times, but i suppose that wouldn't be that interesting outside of fanfic. Speaking of which, this episode did feel like fanfic at first and was drifting further away from what I'm used to seeing in Star Wars (whatever that is nowadays), and I didn't particularly find those masked priestess force clown things appealing. Still, the environment was beautifully rendered and the direction between it was very well done. The platforming sequence was especially beautiful and makes me wish there was a game (maybe even within this universe) with that level of detail and atmosphere. Of course, Yoda vs Dark Yoda was the best (dat giggle).

Last episode next! Let's see how they send the series off

Just started watching this tonight, got through the first 3 episodes. I think the Tartakovsky Clone Wars will be hard to top but I'm really liking this so far.

S6 E13:

I must say that I was disappointed with this episode. It was quite honestly a mess, or perhaps the word is anti-climatic. Not much else to comment on.

Episode's 8-12 were my favorites.

I think I'm going to rewatch some of the old episodes. I've sorely missed Ahsoka.

overall, i do wish obiwan had more growth and character development time during this show.

for his legendary status as negotiator and high general... i kinda expected a bit more out of his this show.

antonz

overall, i do wish obiwan had more growth and character development time during this show.

for his legendary status as negotiator and high general... i kinda expected a bit more out of his this show.

They did fail in that regard of showing how he gained that notorious status. I did like that we see in many ways that ObiWan is more or less Anakin if he didn't have all the baggage. Obi Wan had the love of his life and all of that but didn't lose himself to it

DodgerSan

Just started watching this tonight, got through the first 3 episodes. I think the Tartakovsky Clone Wars will be hard to top but I'm really liking this so far.

I realise I'm in the minority, but I really didn't like the Tartakovsky stuff. It had it's moments, but the animation style (and people were complaining about TCW's aesthetic when it started!) and the ridiculous over the top nature of some of the battles (Mace vs an entire army springs to mind) made it seem clownish. It did have it's moments though, I really like the final section leading into Ep 3. Shame we never got a Clone Wars version.

I wonder if if its nostalgia because me and my room mate watched the clone wars cartoons n just laughed how bad the animation n design were.
Then again i started with the clone CG then try to watch the cartoon. Couldnt finish it. Some actions r just over exaggerated. Spreads arm cloak flies (twice done by different person)
Anakin bitchy unlike the CG version

CG clone wars also gave clone troopers personality than just bunch of troopers using hand gesture to communicate

CG clone wars also gave clone troopers personality than just bunch of troopers using hand gesture to communicate

Thats actually still one of my biggest issues with the show since the very beginning. No other media ever depicted them this way, it just seems out of place and yet its a dominant theme of the show.

Same goes for all the droids. Too humanized, too goofy.

I get it though, its a kids cartoon, have to keep my expectation in check. But its too far removed from the rest of the canon for me to really consider it a part of it. I have to basically view the show as an in-universe retelling of events rather then the actual depiction of them or something. Like the narrator of the story is changing details to make it work better for kids and the real events were much more serious akin to the books and comics.

Thats actually still one of my biggest issues with the show since the very beginning. No other media ever depicted them this way, it just seems out of place and yet its a dominant theme of the show.

Same goes for all the droids. Too humanized, too goofy.

I get it though, its a kids cartoon, have to keep my expectation in check. But its too far removed from the rest of the canon for me to really consider it a part of it. I have to basically view the show as an in-universe retelling of events rather then the actual depiction of them or something. Like the narrator of the story is changing details to make it work better for kids and the real events were much more serious akin to the books and comics.

You made the made mistake of taking the EU as full canon.

less droid humor over time... and sometimes its kinda disturbing with serious military stuff while troopers get brutally gunned down contrasting with droid cracking wise.

antonz

Yeah the goofy nature of the battle droids and such does get dialed back a lot compared to the first season.

I really don't mind the troopers and personality. It actually creates a morality issue for the Jedi and people to consider. So many view the clones as just quickly made cannon fodder that is easily disposable. I mean even in the first Episode they comment when Yoda says to take their helmets off that its not a big deal they are all the same etc. etc. Then Yoda quickly points out they aren't the same each one of them are unique in the force.

There is actually a pretty good arc that deals with a Jedi and his view of how worthless clones are and that they are just fodder and the path it leads him.

Though I will say even Palpatine and Dooku aren't very keen on the idea of the clones displaying unique personalities in the later episodes. It seems like Kamino couldn't quite perfect the whole mindless robot idea with the clones.

DodgerSan

less droid humor over time... and sometimes its kinda disturbing with serious military stuff while troopers get brutally gunned down contrasting with droid cracking wise.

Yeah, they definitely tone it down fairly quickly. Same with all the "Skyguy" and "Artooie" nonsense. Whether it was planned that way, or they got feedback on it, I don't know. It's still there a little, but it's much much less after season 1.

Don't get why dooku is the only one that looks barely like the movie counter part. Looks like a bearded moai statue.

It's part of the whole "wooden puppet" style they went with at first, which was part artistic decision and part technical limitation. The characters get much more expressive over time as the tech improves, and by Season 5/6 the acting they can pull off is pretty amazing.

As for the style, well that was just a choice, just as this
800px-dooku_ventress_duel.png

was a choice. Yet people give the Tartakovsky stuff, which was just as 'stylised' a pass. It's all down to personal taste I guess.

One thing I do like with the TCW style is the texture work, the way it looks like an oil painting where you can see the brush strokes. Adds something unique to even the older seasons, especially in HD.

Edit: I notice both quotes were you chickdigger. Not having a go, you just made some interesting points ;)

best clone arc is easily the one with the asshole jedi thats same/similar species as obiwan's cafe friend in eps2.

first arc of season 6 is pretty damn great and depressing too

rossonero

Tgis has probably been answered but the fear of spoilers stop me from going back in this thread and check. Do I need to watch the movie before watching the TV show?

Tgis has probably been answered but the fear of spoilers stop me from going back in this thread and check. Do I need to watch the movie before watching the TV show?

If you don't want to watch the full thing, you can stop the movie after The Battle of Christophsis. There are a few interesting set pieces and developments you may miss after that, but it's not crucial to the rest of the series.

S6 nearly made me forget about some of my favorite characters from earlier seasons.
Bane, Ventress, Hondo, and even Grevious
all got the shaft. Kinda disappointed that
Mother Talzin and Jar Jar
made it in over them (although those were good episodes). Hell, even
Padme
had an arc. There was hardly any
R2 or Obi Wan
either :/

I think I'm going to use that chronological guide and rewatch the series.

DedValve

Banned
I started seeing this show for the first time and am currently on season 1 episode 8.

FANTASTIC. Where the hell Was this show all my life? So good and surprisingly violent.

DodgerSan

I started seeing this show for the first time and am currently on season 1 episode 8.

FANTASTIC. Where the hell Was this show all my life? So good and surprisingly violent.

Oh, it gets better each season. It has a few stumbles along the way, but overall it's solid.
Many people (not saying you) didn't give it a chance because it was on Cartoon Network and if was 'for kids'. It actually deals with some pretty complex ideas regarding individuality, and some of the machinations behind the war. It also presents (in my opinion) a much more interesting and well developed characterisation of Anakin. People who said his fall in Ep 3 was too quick weren't taking into account the fact he'd been through a war, and many other traumatic experiences, we just hadn't seen them at that time.

I'm really glad you're enjoying it right from S1 though. I did too. Suffice to say you're in for some great stuff!

Just finished my marathon of S5 and 6. I'm still coming off the high, but this show is really best thing to happen to the cinematic universe since the OT. So much of the stuff told should've been included in some fashion during the release of the PT. Though I worry it would not have been as great of a show back then. Who knows, I'm just glad it is is here and I'm forcing everyone I know to watch it if they want to get into Star Wars after seeing the OT.

BouncyFrag

I've watched a couple of episodes after seeing this thread and I like the show and will put it in my rotation of things to watch. I'm liking this Anakin much more than the movie one.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
They should do a motion comics adaptation of the Darth Maul story arc conclusion and include it with Season 6 on Blu-Ray (since its only 13 eps).

Bundle an exclusive preview of Star Wars: Rebels and its a package that would sell the new series with a splash of good will and appreciation from the fans of the old!

Dryk

I'm liking this Anakin much more than the movie one.
Yeah it's great how he actually has depth here. You can see that he's unstable and trying to hang on but ultimately trying to do the right thing.

I'd say it's the Umbara Arc in season 4 (7-10). You really can't go wrong with any of the Clone arcs though.
The clone arcs are what make this series. My enjoyment always ground to a halt everytime a Padme-centric episode came up.

It really is the best stuff since the OT. It explores all the things the Prequels never explore outside of mentioning. You can see just how Anakin falls and most of it is good intentions paving the way to hell style stuff
It also goes into a lot of why the Jedi start young and are forbidden from forming attachments. Anakin is too impatient and damaged by his previous life to be able to wield that amount of power responsibly.

antonz

It really is the best stuff since the OT. It explores all the things the Prequels never explore outside of mentioning. You can see just how Anakin falls and most of it is good intentions paving the way to hell style stuff

Big One

Banned
Catching up with Clone Wars and just finished Season 4. I still don't understand how Darth Maul is still alive. More teasing of Ventress' babyface turn. Has it ever been explained why so many bounty hunters are calling a 12-year-old boy like Boba "boss"? So many weird things, but still an awesome show regardless. Can't wait to tackle season 5 and 6.

markatisu

Just finished Season 6, my god the first 3-4 episodes and the last 3-4 episodes really cement how great this series was.

The way it fleshes out the origins of Order 66 and really shows you the damage and weakening the Clone War has done to the Jedi order that allowed the Republic to fall at the end of Episode III

Just finished Season 6, my god the first 3-4 episodes and the last 3-4 episodes really cement how great this series was.

The way it fleshes out the origins of Order 66 and really shows you the damage and weakening the Clone War has done to the Jedi order that allowed the Republic to fall at the end of Episode III

If anything, season 6 shows just how much garbage filler there is throughout seasons 1 to 5. So much wasted time filler when they could have been putting out focused 13 episodes seasons instead...

Metalmarc

For those that saw the last episode, spoilers ahead, i watched it close to midnight last night , started getting tired

Something that i noticed hardly discussed much so far

So
yoda sees Darth Vader, pre-anakin, at least thats what i think that yoda said to the sith force ghost right? Therefore meaning, vader as a sith has existed for years, yoda mentions he's already dead, again this is pre-anakin darth vader, so with this in mind we now know Darth Vader can be used in future movies right? As this would only be the second time he's died as far as i know, havent read any books yet? Maybe anakin wasnt even the true darth vader as he was only given that title by palapatine in episode 3, we don't know if the actual spirit of Vader as seen in the last episode by yoda, bonded with anakin do we? Edit: or am i mistaken and it was darth bane? I may have missheard

Sent

If anything, season 6 shows just how much garbage filler there is throughout seasons 1 to 5. So much wasted time filler when they could have been putting out focused 13 episodes seasons instead...

Nah.

A lot of the comments here don't seem to understand the influence Lucas had on some of these episodes. Whatever he says goes. If you watch some of the behind the scenes stuff you'll see where he made veto decisions for stuff. (Maul being one.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom