• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

UltraMav

Well I downloaded the patch and promptly ran out of Cartel Coins by buying gambling boxes, a piece of armor and a speeder.... "Free" to Play will be the death of me. :(

aett

I don't see the ability to hide your head slot listed as one of the subscriber bonuses. Looks like if you want to keep that, you'll have to use 350 out of your first months' 500 coins to unlock that. I guess that's the sort of thing they expect longtime subscribers to use their saved-up coins on.

Draxal

Well I downloaded the patch and promptly ran out of Cartel Coins by buying gambling boxes, a piece of armor and a speeder.... "Free" to Play will be the death of me. :(

Yeah, the gambler in me is kinda terrifed by this. But it does make sense, the people who are probably playing SWTOR right now probably would play a little more to see this game survive/thrive ... so honestly instead of even targeting the new players this is more targeting the hardcore players still playing right now.

kmz

Neo Member
I don't see the ability to hide your head slot listed as one of the subscriber bonuses. Looks like if you want to keep that, you'll have to use 350 out of your first months' 500 coins to unlock that. I guess that's the sort of thing they expect longtime subscribers to use their saved-up coins on.

I'll eat my hat if subscribers don't get those for free.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

Are the items actually there? The preview wasn't working so I assumed you couldn't actually buy anything. I didn't want to spend the coins to find out :p

I agree, I was one of the suckers who bought packs of cards in SWG in order to maybe get rare in-game items.

Lost Island was hard when I quit, and everyone was in 136-140 gear. People should be rolling over it by now.

I pugged HM not long ago, it was pretty easy although 2 of the guys had run it a lot. Me and the other guy hadn't so we just did what they said and it went fine. I'm in War Hero PVP gear which is 2 steps down from the best PVE gear.

Draxal

Are the items actually there? The preview wasn't working so I assumed you couldn't actually buy anything. I didn't want to spend the coins to find out :p

I agree, I was one of the suckers who bought packs of cards in SWG in order to maybe get rare in-game items.

Yeah, they're posting on the PTS forum on the official boards.

HBroward

I really don't like the random nature of the cartel packs. I know it generates way more revenue, but I prefer to just buy what I want, not gamble in the hopes of eventually getting the one thing I really wanted. Hopefully this stuff gets put up separately at a later date, I wouldn't mind a period of exclusivity where stuff is only in packs.

vilmer_

Cartel Coins will be spent.

YABdr.jpg

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I really don't like the random nature of the cartel packs. I know it generates way more revenue, but I prefer to just buy what I want, not gamble in the hopes of eventually getting the one thing I really wanted. Hopefully this stuff gets put up separately at a later date, I wouldn't mind a period of exclusivity where stuff is only in packs.

Apparently the stuff is tradeable and sellable.

StudioTan

Well let's start this party then!

Also just found out about this:

I got a ball you can throw at someone's head LOL.

Also I just confirmed it, someone posted the Mask of Nihilus in chat and it's BOE. The items are bound for 5 days though. After that you can trade or sell them.

HBroward

Someone posted on reddit about "invisible" armor, some covert set that lets you appear naked while still getting the benefit of mods and armorings. Tank naked!

StudioTan

Someone posted on reddit about "invisible" armor, some covert set that lets you appear naked while still getting the benefit of mods and armorings. Tank naked!

Yep, I just got that :D

EDIT: It's don't think there is a whole set, just a chest piece.

It says in the tool tip that subscribers get it.

StudioTan

White crystals are back as drops from the packs.

UltraMav

As someone who ran dailies an incredibly stupid amount for the white crystals, I'm fine with it. They were rare for a LONG time and they're still probably going to be fairly rare as it is.

StudioTan

Now that is some good news. Assuming you didn't buy one prior. I guess those people may not agree with me. They got a nice period of exclusivity though, so they should be fine.

I actually did buy one and haven't had a chance to use it yet since I bought it on my Jedi and he's not 50 yet :p

I don't care, really.

Draxal

So yeah, once you get the certain items you want from the cash store ... there's so much stuff from the cartel leader packs. That's the one to focus on.

UltraMav

I wonder if this will be the same catalog it launches with, or if there will be more items and they just have a few token ones in the store to test the basics.

StudioTan

They implemented weapon previews? Finally.

Not only that but speeder preview as well. I got a speeder from a pack that had a cool purple/black metallic finish similar to those paint jobs on real cars where the colour changes depending on the angle.

I wonder if this will be the same catalog it launches with, or if there will be more items and they just have a few token ones in the store to test the basics.

At first I thought there wasn't a lot there but as Draxal said there is a crapload of stuff in the Cartel packs. And since they're tradeable there will be opportunities to get all sorts of cool stuff without spending cartel coins.

Cystm

I made a preview video for the Cartel Shop and some of the items I picked up.

Video here: http://youtu.be/TGA1Ry1vFBI

One awesome item I got out of a "Crime Lords Cartel Pack" (Ugh) was a Relic called Bastilla's sash:
iLcAGKo8itvzv.png

I also got 2 speeders, a pet, an emote unlock, a banner for the republic and the imperials to plant on the ground, the carbonite freeze item, a random assortment of XP boosters, random mats, and companion gifts.

I started out with 2900 Cartel Coins. Had 60 after buying the Carbonite freeze chamber, and 5 packs.

UltraMav

I'm super psyched that we're finally seeing some items with cool procs on them, too bad we had to have a cash shop to get them. :(

Alur

Will endeavor to not spend copious amounts to get a throne speeder and white crystals from the packs. I also dig that mask.

StudioTan

Oh wow, I didn't realize the new preview window lets you scroll in and out with the mouse wheel so you can get a good look at stuff now. Makes previewing things like companion customization less pointless.

Also, apparently the 5 day waiting period before you can trade items from the cartel packs is only for free players, they haven't said how long it'll be for subs but it'll be much less than 5 days. They said they want gift giving to be an important part of the store.

Can you buy extra character slots or is it only for sub players? Would be really odd for them to not have such an option when they want to charge for extra UI bars and other little features.

Moaradin

There are some cool things in the cartel shop. I'll probably end up buying a cool set I want and use the rest on crime lord packs.

UltraMav

As far as I know BW hasn't said anything about a "Barber Shop" type feature. Seems like it would be really simple to do though, so not sure why.

Cystm

Because it is lower in priority under implementing F2Play and pushing out flashpoints, warzones, operations, and the next chapter of everyones story.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Has there been any info on if the "premium" features for folks who ever buy anything once in the cartel store (sprint at 1, for example) will automatically be unlocked for anyone who bought the game and paid for a sub in the past?

UltraMav

Because it is lower in priority under implementing F2Play and pushing out flashpoints, warzones, operations, and the next chapter of everyones story.

Undoubtedly. Of course I'm no developer, it just always seemed like it wouldn't take that long to let people jump back into the character creator screen with certain options greyed out. Perhaps they're waiting for a more elegant solution. As they said for dual-spec, they want to make sure it's "absolutely perfect" or some such when they finally implement it, so I assume that's how they feel about adding most QoL features.

And with F2P transition and team downsizing, who knows how long little upgrades have been pushed back.

Alur

So, after a couple Crime Lord packs I have to say I'm disappointed. I thought it'd have a bit more variety in each one. I got Emote: Menace in two of three, and Title: Cartel Collector in two of three, a longspur mount, and another emote. The rest was junk or exp boosts.

Ah well, what can you expect from a "gambling" game I guess. Wouldn't do them much good if the cool stuff dropped every time.

On the flip side, I spent the rest of my limited cartel coins (why they only gave each of us 2400 on PTS and no way to replenish is baffling - they want us to test, right?) on some of the gear. There are some nice looking things. The white hooded robe that is 150 though, it's shit. Low res, ugly. It looks good from the back.

Can't remember the other two pieces I bought, they were 350 a piece, but both of them were pretty sweet for a light armor wearer who's never had any variety.

Giolon

On the flip side, I spent the rest of my limited cartel coins (why they only gave each of us 2400 on PTS and no way to replenish is baffling - they want us to test, right?) on some of the gear.

I'm pretty sure I read in the patch notes that they'd be giving periodic grants of points on the PTS.

HBroward

So, there is a gun with a laser scope that uses your color crystal. Now I really, really, really, want a sniper rifle with that functionality. Although that may be one, it looks more like a shotgun to me. Nevermind, just noticed that is a vanguard haha, blaster rifle.

MMnGz.jpg

Has there been any info on if the "premium" features for folks who ever buy anything once in the cartel store (sprint at 1, for example) will automatically be unlocked for anyone who bought the game and paid for a sub in the past?

Access to your ships cargo hold (free players have to pay to use ship cargo hold), sprint at lv1, increased chat channels unlocked and secure trading.

Top Bottom