• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void |OT| My Life For Aiur

Miker

I'm mildly more excited for this than Heart of the Swarm, but after buying HotS closer to launch and seeing how quickly it dropped in price, both compared to WoL and other Blizz games, I'm gonna wait for a good sale early next year.

Tacitus_

That's disappointing. I was hoping to some kind of good ending overarching narrative. Well, I think I am going to take a pass on this one then and wait for a price drop first. Thanks!

If you don't play the Epilogue campaign, the story ends... adequately, I guess. Nothing special but not bad either.
And there won't be a price drop for a while, Blizzard doesn't really do them so your best bet for a sale is a physical copy... but they don't really drop in price either unless there's a general sale going on.

Oh, extra points for the sudden apparition of
Stuckov
killing
Narud

I can imagine Metzen typing that and thinking "aaaand another arc closed!"

Also, what the hell is up with the Voice from the Dark from WoL? Wasn't he supposed to be Amon?

Space magic.

If you don't play the Epilogue campaign, the story ends... adequately, I guess. Nothing special but not bad either.
And there won't be a price drop for a while, Blizzard doesn't really do them so your best bet for a sale is a physical copy... but they don't really drop in price either unless there's a general sale going on.

Dude your avatar looks like Amon. Oh no.

Shahadan

Also, what the hell is up with the Voice from the Dark from WoL? Wasn't he supposed to be Amon?

Well they probably didn't have a model at this point.

I wanted to see what happens to the swarm mother left behind in the protoss ship in Hots
;(

Shahadan

Epilogue missions:

wtf why am I suddenly playing Terran for a mission where I have to be quick and effective...I don't remember how to play them. Give me my protoss army back ;(
THEY'RE FUCKING THERE

Such a terrible decision honestly :lol:

Tiamant

Epilogue missions:

wtf why am I suddenly playing Terran for a mission where I have to be quick and effective...I don't remember how to play them. Give me my protoss army back ;(
THEY'RE FUCKING THERE

Ungh, such a TERRIBLE decision.

Mr Swine

Banned
Wait, they don't turn up again? Weird. It was such an obvious set up for a group of bad Zerg for you to fight in the last campaign as Protoss.

I guess they are the ones that are on Sakuras.

And come on now, the story in Starcraft ain't that good either, sure it's a step up from SC2 but you guys are using those rose tinted glasses. Only good character that came out of that game except Raynor, Kerrigan, Tassadar and Mengsk is General Edmund Duke

Fliesen

so i just finished Mission 1 of the Epilogue ... this is getting weird.

edit: haha, awesome,
Kerrigan
is a fucking
Drakken Laser Drill
. My favourite WoL mission!

Kiro

Man the epilogue missions are on another level of difficult. Playing it on hard and the first level I grinded it out slowly and the second level I can't beat... 82% and I get massacred.

Any tips on the final mission? I'm getting slaughtered. I try to expand and all but allies are worthless and I'm not used to playing
Zerg

Any pointers? How did you folks do it?

peakish

Played through to the second mission of Shakuras. Enjoying these missions a lot more than the bland Prologue. Amon is the boringest villain in a while. I still remember nothing at all of him from the previous parts of SC2 and I know exactly why.

Seriously. It's not even that I forgot what he was trying to do, I had no memory at all of him existing. And I replayed WoL this spring!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I retell the story of SC to my friends everytime I get the chance and even clueless non-gamers are amazed by it

Then they ask "so what's SC2 about?"

I always answer the same thing: "no the lore ends with the ending of BW".

How did you beat the penultimate mission?

Lots of bunkers and put marines and marauders inside, didn't care about the Zerg and Protoss, just defended.

Here it is different, you have to attack and stretch out a lot. I try to macro but fail. I try to build Hydras, lings, roaches and ultras. But I get mowed down

Tacitus_

Any tips on the final mission? I'm getting slaughtered. I try to expand and all but allies are worthless and I'm not used to playing
Zerg

Gameplay stuff:
expand to all locations ASAP, max ground upgrades, build a ball of roach hydra with some ultras sprinkled in. Mash the heal on cooldown.

Completed on Hard pretty easily with this
minus the bit when one of his stones floated into a bit that had no ground access any more and I was maxed out, luckily the next one spawned to a reachable place

Fliesen

2nd mission of the epilogue done ...

WHAT. IS. HAPPENING.?

This is some "2001 - A space odyssey" trippy shit.

edit: nice little detail that they give you mission briefings in
each race's respective "briefing UI"

Zerg

Mass Muta and mass zergling for mineral spending and canon folder. Kerrigan as support of assault for mass heal and laser beam the pillars / towers.

Make tons of hatches for tons of larvas.

This mission is a mess.

ExVicis

Anyone else actually not enjoying he objectives in Legacy? I like a decent number of them bbut it feels like a lot of them are time limits or races. A lot of the objectives are Kill all of "X" or reach "Y" before this timer runs out or this thing gets to here. I find it really limiting and actually far less fun than anything like the second mission with the Terran which was a neat enough concept or the one later mission with the
Purifiers
. I don't know just not as much fun this time with the campaign missions I feel. Story thus far for the Protoss is actually alright. Lot of weird questionable things going with the Tal'Darim but other than that everything seems alright.

Fliesen

Anyone else actually not enjoying he objectives in Legacy? I like a decent number of them bbut it feels like a lot of them are time limits or races. A lot of the objectives are Kill all of "X" or reach "Y" before this timer runs out or this thing gets to here. I find it really limiting and actually far less fun than anything like the second mission with the Terran which was a neat enough concept or the one later mission with the
Purifiers
. I don't know just not as much fun this time with the campaign missions I feel. Story thus far for the Protoss is actually alright. Lot of weird questionable things going with the Tal'Darim but other than that everything seems alright.

i enjoyed the mission you mentioned, as well as the
duel between ... uhm, the 2 tal'darim dudes
, as those gave you time to play at your pace and didn't rush you into completing stuff.

SOME rushing, however, is only due to me doing the mission achievements, that often dictate "complete X before the Y wave of Z"

Tacitus_

, as those gave you time to play at your pace and didn't rush you into completing stuff.

Everyone should read the short story about those two guys. Gives some nice context - and the main character pulls some great moves.

Shahadan

Once thing I really hated was how confusing everything gets on screen with some allied factions and your versions of their unit or even the enemy units....can't see shit, which units are mine? THEY ALL HAVE RED LINES

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
what is that from

Pooya

So the game was hard at the beginning, now hard difficulty is actually easy, ship abilities are way too OP. Then you get units like Sentinels which are pretty broken. In WoL, there was some tactical advantage ti what unit to chose for any mission, here most of the options are just absolutely better units. There are still some choices here but some of them are just broken.

Blizzard has a thing for "Unification" I guess? New Hearthstone adventure is about "staff of unification", now here there is a "temple of unification", lmao at the story in here. That mission was sooooo fun though, I love missions like this. Artanis is so badass. The cutscenes look awesome.

There is Nova DLC still but we will probably won't see RTS campaigns like this ever again, I'm very happy with what we got, story whatever, I don't even care, the game is very good. I'm 11 mission in now, so far for me WoL> LotV>>> HotS. HotS was bad, most of it was just build army destroy enemies and it was very short.

Yoshichan

That must be a joke, right? Like, a fucking non-amusing joke, right? If not, then I can't fathom how unbelievably dumb one person would be to post such a thing ONE day after release. I simply get that the story is utter shit and whatnot, but that doesn't mean we can go ahead and post whatever the fuck we want 24h after the release. There are still people out there (PROBABLY THE MAJORITY, AT THAT) who still haven't beaten this game. No one gives a shit about the lore of Halo anymore, so let me go to the |OT| the day after release and spoil something with an embedded picture. Sounds good, right?

Am I in the fucking spoiler thread or what? No? Okay. WHY.

JoeMartin

Absolutely garbage one dimensional story telling for literally every character involved. Everyone's motives are no more or less than exactly what they appear to be, and the villain is evil because he's evil. Again. No one has to make any hard choices. No one has to live with the consequences of blind, bad decisions. Actually, you know what, everyone is great. Everyone is great and everything is great, except that bad guy, who's bad. Let's kill him. Then everything and everyone will be even more greater.

So uh, if I want to see some online multiplayer SC2 being streamed, is there anyone in particular that might be good to follow? In particular I like playing as Terran the most.

I looked today and most of the Twitch streamers are just doing the campaign.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
That must be a joke, right? Like, a fucking non-amusing joke, right? If not, then I can't fathom how unbelievably dumb one person would be to post such a thing ONE day after release. I simply get that the story is utter shit and whatnot, but that doesn't mean we can go ahead and post whatever the fuck we want 24h after the release. There are still people out there (PROBABLY THE MAJORITY, AT THAT) who still haven't beaten this game. No one gives a shit about the lore of Halo anymore, so let me go to the |OT| the day after release and spoil something with an embedded picture. Sounds good!

Am I in the fucking spoiler thread or what? No? Okay. WHY.

For once I agree with Yoshi-rage.

What the fuck dude.

Shahadan

Yeah not great, guy.

I already had to avoid marked ending spoilers in this thread posted litteraly 5 minutes after the game went live, then lots of discussion about those, not to mention my own temptation to highlight them, and I get spoiled just as I'm playing the second to last mission =_=

Yoshichan

Someone just PM him about it. I'm too fucking salty to even click on his fucking name.

ExVicis

SOME rushing, however, is only due to me doing the mission achievements, that often dictate "complete X before the Y wave of Z"
Yeah those missions are fine. I enjoy being able to just have a decent pace where I'm bout thirsting stuff together because I have to outrun a
laser
or ambiguous
void temple energy crap
to the mission objectives. I just barely got
Tal'Darim
Template or whatever, can I freaking get to see how the work instead of just throwing shot together to desperately take an objective because I'm on a time limit?

I like the design of some of these Campaigns units though. Also kinda saw that bit where
Fenix
would come back from a mile away. Overall the Protoss plot is perfectly alright to good I think The really early bit in the second mission cutscene sucked but otherwise it was pretty good. It made enough sense. I'm just dreading the epilogue and can kinda already imagine what kinda shit they try there.

Edit: Oh. Fuck I guess that's out

To be fair that totally could be Jean Grey.

Syf

Banned
Epilogue missions:

THEY'RE FUCKING THERE

I mean, if you look at the epilogue as the end of the entire SC2 saga, it makes sense to
give one last mission per race
. But yeah it does end up feeling pretty janky.

Shahadan

I mean, if you look at the epilogue as the end of the entire SC2 saga, it makes sense to
give one last mission per race
. But yeah it does end up feeling pretty janky.

Well yeah it does make sense in theory but the three campaigns were released separately over 5 years so....feels weird and sudden
especially since my usual army is right there and I can't control it
. Maybe the prologue of LotV should have had the same idea to ease people into it.
That mission doesn't let you take your time so it's hard :lol:

Started getting into SC2 with the Starter Edition partying with my friend recently but I've been itching to play it by myself.

Should I pick up Legacy of the Void and wait for a sale for the other campaigns? I played half of the Terran campaign close to release on my brother's copy and it was pretty good.

Kiro

Has anyone figured out how to get the mastery achievement for the second last mission in the epilogue? I tried
everything. I tried marines and bunkers and marauders with tanks and vikings for broodlords and carriers. I got destroyed. The closest I got was 70%. You need to do it with out using Kerrigan's power blast more than 15 times. Any tips? Should I take the expansion? Where should I wall up?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Ok, so I bit the bullet on this but realized I remember nothing of WoL and never beat HotS. Been going through those again now (six missions into HotS):

The story isn't nearly as bad as media makes it out to be. I've read the complaints in this thread and they all seem to be related to the tonal shift from SC1 -> SC2. Never played SC1, so maybe ignorance is bliss in this case. It is a fun romp through space with obvious plot macguffins created to fit gameplay mechanics, but they end up telling an interesting enough story so it doesn't really matter.

The mission design is airtight and I loved the Hyperion and its crew. So far Kerrigan and her Zerg underlings are nowhere near as endearing, with Kerrigan's attitude of "RARRR HATE MENGSK REVENGE" becoming grating at times, but I like the actual game design surrounding HotS much better. Hero units were the best thing about WC3, and seeing them return with Kerrigan and her customizable leveling up tree is a real treat. Branching story paths/non-linear mission structure (to an extent) is also nice.

Really excited to get to LotV because the brief glimpse of Artanis in the Zeratul missions made him out to be a really cool character. Well, that, and Protoss are the best race.

Top Bottom