• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void |OT| My Life For Aiur

meanspartan

So how is the multi?

I loved WoL but couldn't get into HoTS because I feel like it went way more heavy on the micro. Does this pull back a bit?

Overall, such a shame this game had its lunch eaten by the MOBAs. I've never understood the appeal of that genre and I loved watching pro starcraft in 2010/2011. Seems like the scene kinda died after that.

So how is the multi?

I loved WoL but couldn't get into HoTS because I feel like it went way more heavy on the micro. Does this pull back a bit?

Overall, such a shame this game had its lunch eaten by the MOBAs. I've never understood the appeal of that genre and I loved watching pro starcraft in 2010/2011. Seems like the scene kinda died after that.
Its quite micro heavy for top end play, but its so much more macro friendly than the older two games that you can focus on just that and do well enough. I also generally only play team games and all of my friends are in agreement that this is the best iteration of SC2 for teams

Fliesen

Those Mastery achievements can be pretty clutch.

Took me a few tries to get the one where you have to NOT kill any of the void thrashers and i just missed the one to get 2 billion zerg on
Shakuras
... with 1.98 billion :/

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Man replaying Wings of Liberty has reminded me of Blizzards misguided obsession with gimmick missions.

You know sometimes a dude just wants to slowly dismantle a map sized enemy base without worrying about lava filling up the map, intercepting trains, night time zombie invasions or whatever other nonsense they stuff into every map.

Their older games had a nice balance between gimmick maps, and traditional smash your foes maps.

Man replaying Wings of Liberty has reminded me of Blizzards misguided obsession with gimmick missions.

You know sometimes a dude just wants to slowly dismantle a map sized enemy base without worrying about lava filling up the map, intercepting trains, night time zombie invasions or whatever other nonsense they stuff into every map.

Their older games had a nice balance between gimmick maps, and traditional smash your foes maps.
Isn't that what vs. AI is for?

I guess you can't smash foes with the custom campaign units that way, though.

Fliesen

Jesus, i'm dreading my brutal playthrough. Horde mode missions and "gotta go fast" missions that rush you are just so shitty on brutal :/

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Isn't that what vs. AI is for?

I guess you can't smash foes with the custom campaign units that way, though.

Skirmishes are against AI's starting under the same conditions as you. Campaign missions can have sprawling enemy bases with unique defense and enemy layouts that require interesting tactics to overcome. Totally different thing.

meanspartan

Its quite micro heavy for top end play, but its so much more macro friendly than the older two games that you can focus on just that and do well enough. I also generally only play team games and all of my friends are in agreement that this is the best iteration of SC2 for teams

Fantastic! That's what I want to hear as a friend and I play 2s, I'm not really interested in 1v1.

We had some fun doing 2s in Bronze/Silver at the tail end of Wings of Liberty, but HoTS micro game just made it not fun. We'd just get rushed very early on and game over way too soon. I don't mind losing at all 20 or 30 minutes into the match, but 5 minutes in or less kinda sucked...

Skirmishes are against AI's starting under the same conditions as you. Campaign missions can have sprawling enemy bases with unique defense and enemy layouts that require interesting tactics to overcome. Totally different thing.
True. It does seem like SC/BW had more of that.

I like to make custom vs AI games where there's three of them working together on a team, then ramp the difficulty down so I actually have a chance. That way it's asymmetrical but not impossible.

Ugh tried co-op on normal twice. The first time we barely didn't finish because my partner was awful and never expanded. The second time my partner left halfway through and I wasn't able to finish it by myself.

Syf

Banned
Ugh tried co-op on normal twice. The first time we barely didn't finish because my partner was awful and never expanded. The second time my partner left halfway through and I wasn't able to finish it by myself.
Home now if you want to play. I'll be on for a long while.

Syf

Banned
Man using stuff like the reaver and dragoon in co-op makes me wish they put these units back in the main multiplayer instead of some of the current units. So much cooler to use.

Woorloog

Banned
Man using stuff like the reaver and dragoon in co-op makes me wish they put these units back in the main multiplayer instead of some of the current units. So much cooler to use.

The Dragoon is kind of boring to use really. It just walks around slowly, blocking everything else. And shoots.
The Stalker is frankly more interesting to use, though in a massed army the Dragoon is better as there's nothing to micro.

The Reaver? It is nice.

Speaking of old units:
A shame the Scout is not available in the campaign...

This sounds good. Played a lot of WoL 2s and 3s but stopped for HotS. Maybe I can get the old crew back together.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Finished the epilogue today.

I loved the main campaign for both the gameplay and cheesy story.
Epilogue on the other hand, was terrible both in terms of the gameplay
sure, make me play as Terran/Zerg after a few years of not touching those races
and the story (so bad).

All in all I'm satisfied that I finally got the protoss campaign I was waiting for, but I wish the ending was handled better.

Woorloog

Banned
Finished the game.

Man.

LOL

Can't say anything else really.
I was grinning like mad the whole time i played the main campaign end and the epilogue.
So bad, lol.
I'm not mad, i figured out things would suck about five years ago.

It is a shame one could have cooked up something decent, cliched but decent with the things Starcraft 2 is made off. As it is, it is cliched and bad.

Also, i wonder if there's been some kind change in the direction at some point (like there was with Mass Effect 3), a lot of the campaign felt reasonable (in the cliched, meh sort of way) but the end is just so odd. And why is there a separate epilogue anyway, when it isn't actually an epilogue but the end proper?

For the dragoon I think it's more about the look of it for me. Stalkers are more fun to control, but dragoons just feel.. cooler.. lol
Oh, i get that.

CTqEmqiUYAAtEAm.jpg

Collection complete. Time to play the campaign.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
They really fucked up with the voice effects in this game. Protoss sounds so much better in the original and Brood War. Too much echo and effects overplaying right now. Yuck.

Woorloog

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6QoSQ6ChKo

It's got a great soundtrack too!

Seriously, Starcraft fans, check this game out. If this trailer doesn't convince you you're crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Sl1WCZEQfg

I'll be crazy then.

Very uninteresting trailer.
And from what i recall reading about Gray Goo, it lacks charismatic, interesting factions, it has nothing that makes think "this is interesting" or "this is cool".
And it is based on "gray goo" scenario, something i find silly and unbelievable for certain reasons.

(I need more than just strong gameplay.)

(Before someone says SC2 lacks charisma or whatever, i'll claim grandfather clause.)

Syf

Banned
Also, i wonder if there's been some kind change in the direction at some point (like there was with Mass Effect 3), a lot of the campaign felt reasonable (in the cliched, meh sort of way) but the end is just so odd. And why is there a separate epilogue anyway, when it isn't actually an epilogue but the end proper?
I sorta got this impression too. The LotV campaign felt like it was at least trying to keep things reasonable. Then the epilogue hit and right from the get go it was ridiculous scenarios, capped off with possibly the most absurd ending they could have given the saga.

Woorloog

Banned
I sorta got this impression too. The LotV campaign felt like it was at least trying to keep things reasonable. Then the epilogue hit and right from the get go it was ridiculous scenarios, capped off with possibly the most absurd ending they could have given the saga.

And there's the lack of ending CGI, which i find odd. Surely not for the time reasons... unless things got changed at some point so that there'd be no time to make one?

And there's the lack of ending CGI, which i find odd. Surely not for the time reasons... unless things got changed at some point so that there'd be no time to make one?

Well I thoroughly enjoyed the power point slide presentation with no music we got at the very end.

Just hit level 6 as Kerrigan in co-op. I'm used to the destructible rocks at your second now but I hate there only being 2 bases. Already gas starved enough but with so many additional upgrades it makes it worse. Going to have to stop making Ultra's and focus on Ling/Hydra/Lurker instead.

Alright I finished the campaign, good fun. Need to get the achievements for the last mission though. :(

Edit: HOLY SHIT!!! I did not realize you can control game speed for the campaign, no wonder everything was slow as shit :x :( Why Blizzard!

gryvan

The Ending really left a bad taste in my mouth. I enjoyed the protoss campaign up to the end..and then this epilogue nonsense...ugh

wish the ending felt a bit more complete instead of....that imo....

well..hopefully new characters would be introduced in future DLC contents!!!!!!

jasonng

Without giving spoilers. Do they complete the story or should we expect more kerrigan adventures?

They do complete the Starcraft 2 story but you won't be satisfied.

I just finished the campaign. I had very low expectations for the story and I was still incredibly disappointed.

SPOILERS DO NOT CLICK THIS LINK UNLESS YOU HAVE PLAYED THE FINAL MISSION OF THE GAME SPOILERS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eItURkwwYi4

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

At 25:19 the music cuts out and the ending is literally a silent power point slide presentation.
Happened to me too. Thought that was weird.

Moonlight

Banned
Finished it. The epilogue missions represented an absurd difficulty spike after the Protoss mission, but meh. Did it.

That was one of the most insulting endings to any story I've ever experienced. Even if you completely bought into every shitty plot element that builds it up, the actual ending arrives with all the drama of a wet fart. It's just... awful. Like, I'd rather not rant on about it, but I cannot express how shitty it is.

Really depressing that this is how my favourite RTS story has to resolve. :\

Finished it. The epilogue missions represented an absurd difficulty spike after the Protoss mission, but meh. Did it.

That was one of the most insulting endings to any story I've ever experienced. Even if you completely bought into every shitty plot element that builds it up, the actual ending arrives with all the drama of a wet fart. It's just... awful. Like, I'd rather not rant on about it, but I cannot express how shitty it is.

Really depressing that this is how my favourite RTS story has to resolve. :\

I thought I was prepared for it, but they exceeded all of my expectations with this abomination of an epilogue. They completely butchered the characters and the world they created in SC1.

Time to find a new writing team Blizzard, this one has expired.

Tried out Zagara for co-op. Only played on casual but my god mass Scourge are fun. Shuttles trying to warp out? Lolnope. Overlord's trying to drop? Lulz. Void Thrashers attacking your base? PEWPEWPEW, PUH! DEAD! Next level I get a massive reduction in gas cost for them too.

frontovik

Banned
It really is time for that. The writing in their games has been hammy for a while now but this epilogue is a new low.

Hmm, I see that StarCraft's lore/writing under Metzen's direction remains asinine and inconsistent as ever... Blizzard should just retire him already and find new creative writing talents.

I'd rather believe that the story concluded with Brood War, and StarCraft II is just fan fiction.

Pooya

All the units from Brood War are in the game now, should be good for mods. Playing with Corsairs again made me all nostalgic.

jabuseika

Has the ladder settled yet?

I didn't buy this right away.

One, because of Fallout 4.

Two, because I'll be mostly playing online, and I didn't want to get annihilated by all the good players in lower ladder rankings.

eRonin

Has the ladder settled yet?

I didn't buy this right away.

One, because of Fallout 4.

Two, because I'll be mostly playing online, and I didn't want to get annihilated by all the good players in lower ladder rankings.

It seems some former GMs are still hovering around Diamond (I was just watching Rotterdam's stream) so maybe give it another 2 days or so.

Anyway, I finished the Protoss campaign and thought it was great, and I was confused when people here said the ending was a horrible mess. Then I realised they must be talking about the epilogue, so I jump into the first mission and...hahahahaha oh dear what have I fallen into?

I'm gonna just leave my brain by the door for the last two missions. This should be fun.

Tacitus_

Did they patch the game or did I just git gud? I did the mastery cheevo for the last main campaign mission and I practically walked over it. My AI allies actually put up a fight this time.

And the objective for the cheevo is in the
south-west corner
of the map. Damn thing was hiding.

Top Bottom