• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield has gone GOLD! Preloads begin Aug 17 for Xbox X|S and Windows PC. Steam Preload is on Aug 30

Mr Hyde

It's what we hoped for in Starfield but not what we will get. These transitions are all on rails, so as a gamer you have no control over the ship outside some space battles. If you want that feeling, then you need to play games like Star Citizen or ED.

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

MadPanda

Banned
Microsoft exclusive period.
The Microsoft Store, XboxApp, GamepassPC versions all start the preload at the same time.
Steam for some reason is later likely cuz its actually a different build.
Could it be because they're afraid of data miners for a steam version? I don't know how it functions on windows store, heard they have some kind of protection for windows store files?

Ozriel

M$FT
Nah, we’ll move on to the next thing in about a months time just like all the other GOTY titles

Starfield ain’t built different

Approx 31k concurrent players on Skyrim yesterday.

It’s kinda built different tbh.

This could so easily end up being the next CP2077.
But I’m cautiously optimistic it won’t.
Next question is when is the embargo up.

There’s zero in common between Bethesda and CD Projekt Red, and between CP2077 and Starfield. No Bethesda game has ever had the dumpster fire issue CP had running on last gen hardware…and Starfield is exclusive to current gen with powerful enough CPUs.

Hard to see where these constant comparisons are coming from.
Could it be because they're afraid of data miners for a steam version?

Most certainly this. especially after what happened to Tekken

Stafford

The story, the absolutely neutered RPG systems, the building, the abysmal performance at launch, the voiced main character.

So basically everything other than shooting. But even the shooting felt awful at launch because of the unstable framerate.

I did like several characters such as Nick Valentine, if that's the robot guy, that is. True about RPG systems. They have said they are bringing that stuff back in this. Soon we'll find out. Personally on Xbox One I didn't have much framerate issues overall.
This could so easily end up being the next CP2077.
But I’m cautiously optimistic it won’t.
Next question is when is the embargo up.

Nah, I don't think it will be. I'd like to believe that MS is truly aware of situations such as with Redfall and they don't want that again. This is also their biggest game in a long ass time, a very important one. MS also gave BGS a lot of extra time for development, so all is sounding promising. But I guess you can never know for sure.

RPS37

There’s zero in common between Bethesda and CD Projekt Red, and between CP2077 and Starfield. No Bethesda game has ever had the dumpster fire issue CP had running on last gen hardware…and Starfield is exclusive to current gen with powerful enough CPUs.

Most certainly this. especially after what happened to Tekken
Hype level for incredibly ambitious looking game.

Vox Machina

Banned
Could it be because they're afraid of data miners for a steam version? I don't know how it functions on windows store, heard they have some kind of protection for windows store files?

Almost assuredly. They want to keep the secrets, well, secret until launch.

Impotaku

Bethesda didn't even have the last gen excuse like cyberpunk the shat out fallout 76 a game so badly made that some people had to reinstall the ps4 operating system because it fucked up their consoles so bad. And you wonder why people are sceptical that bethesda wont release a broken half finished bugfest.

Stafford

Hate this, seems a lot of spoilers are going to leak fast

I hope if anyone posts any real spoilers here its an insta ban

Goooooooldddd.

Seriously fuck the scumbags trying to spoil the game.

This is super stupid! The worse type of human trash to be honest (outside of murders and rapists).

Yes, indeed. So I thought I'd warn ya'll. I looked the pos up on Twitter and immediately blocked him. He's not gonna spoil shit for me. Might be a good idea to just take a break from Twitter though.

LordCBH

I did like several characters such as Nick Valentine, if that's the robot guy, that is. True about RPG systems. They have said they are bringing that stuff back in this. Soon we'll find out. Personally on Xbox One I didn't have much framerate issues overall.

I will absolutely agree on Nick Valentine. 100%. Like I said, I absolutely have my fingers crossed for Starfield. The reveal stream was good, and they’re saying the right things for me.

Rockondevil

Man I wish I had your optimist guys, I hope I'm wrong but I don't think it will be better than Fallout 76 at launch. I don't expect another Skyrim, at least, not at launch.
This is a single player RPG which Bethesda has done well at. There’s 100% chance of bugs but I doubt anything too game breaking.

F76 had completely different issues being that the game was just boring at first. It didn’t play like other Bethesda games with quests and everything.

I’m sure this will be fine. It’ll only get better as fixes/expansions/DLC come too.

TrebleShot

Now then get this on steam or game pass m, decisions decisions , steam for its great ui cloud saves and local support or game pass for no extra charge and xcloud support. Tricky indeed

The world is a lot bigger than 32k people. The game will have longevity for a small number of super fans, but the truth is most people will play it like any other AAA - enjoy it, critique it, love it, and just move on. Same thing happened to ToTK, a pretty massive game.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I want to get the steam version for mod fixes this game will need, but gamepass is free to me to play…

I hope they don’t keep reviews tucked away too long. If it’s 8/10 and runs well on a 3080, then I’ll buy it on steam. Anything less I’ll just play it on gamepass and save my wallet.

I want to give Hodd my bucks but he’s gotta earn it.

Man I wish I had your optimist guys, I hope I'm wrong but I don't think it will be better than Fallout 76 at launch. I don't expect another Skyrim, at least, not at launch.
It will be better because it has to be … this is Xbox’s last hope at this point and I would like to think they understand how important it is for this game to have as little issues as possible at launch.

Bkdk

Most anticipated title this year, as much as I like bg3, it has some issues and I think there is a good chance even just in vanilla state, I might like starfield more even without the mods. Add in the fact that it's been so long since fallout 4 and I really feel the urge inside me to play their half casual style open world playground rpg which is bethesda's style.

Locked and loaded.
This is going to be massive. People will lose years of their lives in this world.
Sick time off work will triple.
The ability for them to introduce new planets, new races of aliens, new quests is just ridiculous.

coffinbirth

Locked and loaded.
This is going to be massive. People will lose years of their lives in this world.
Sick time off work will triple.
The ability for them to introduce new planets, new races of aliens, new quests is just ridiculous.
The mods for this game will be INTENSE.

Already anticipating some nutcase to mod in Tamriel maps. Imagine being able to fly to Nirn and just do some Morrowind shit on a whim?

its-gonna-be-amazing-bill-burr.gif

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

You are aware that this game is made by the main Bethesda development studio right, not the same dev that made fallout 76? It's their next game since fallout 4.

Also, Microsoft will have been balls deep helping these guys for at least the last 18 months. Everything rides on this game. This is not a fallout 76 situation in the slightest.

And bought the limited edition starfield controller after that q & a. They saying all the right things godam. Im gonna buy a house in a city, have a space crew and chart some undiscovered planet. Main story be damned.
Just need to get the deluxe upgrade and Im all set for lift off.

coffinbirth

Slightly over two weeks for us early beta testers...

Man, I'm so hyped. Got two weeks booked off...controllers ready, headset ready (on display stands)

Using my steelseries nova pro wireless and oled baby!

Might buy a space suit....

Just wish there was a limited edition console. :(
Cough...tune into Gamescom...cough

Top Bottom