• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

BigLee74

Fast travel should be present as is in any of their games. But in my opinion the problem lies when you simply force fast travel and menu skimming for everything travel related. Specially when the UI isn't top notch
You do realise you can travel without going in to the menu? The only small caveat is you occasionally need to select a defined landing zone from the planet map (but it’s brought up directly), and custom landing zones must be done from the planet map.

manlisten

Came across a pretty cool dynamic activity just now. Traveled to a random moon and when I got there, I noticed a large Deimos freighter in orbit with a destroyed engine and grav drive. Decided to dock into it and board it, to find that the ship was completely ravaged and taken over by pirates. The gravity system was also on the fritz, causing the ship to fall in and out of Zero-G every few seconds. So you're going from on foot to zero gravity constantly while fighting off a hoard of pirates which was cool af.

There was a locked vault near the front of the ship, and my companion hinted that I'd need to restore power to it. I cleared out the main level but couldn't find anything to get the door open. Kept looking around and noticed there was a broken elevator towards the back of the ship. Looked up and saw that the elevator had a hatch the in the roof that I could open. Opened it, waited for the gravity system to fail, then shot myself through the hatch and up the elevator shaft at zero G. Got me up to the ship's third level where I encountered the main pirate 'boss'. Killed him, then floated through a small corridor which led to a computer room with a computer that unlocked the vault on the ground level. Went back down and gained access to the vault which contained a crapload of loot.

The game really encourages you to go off the beaten path and keep poking around just to discover what's out there. It's this type of stuff that will keep me playing this for a good while.

yamaci17

You do realise you can travel without going in to the menu? The only small caveat is you occasionally need to select a defined landing zone from the planet map (but it’s brought up directly), and custom landing zones must be done from the planet map.
yep

you just need to select a different system and you can see the grav jump animation (you jump from system to system, in game)

you can, when you're in the space of a system, travel between galaxies without going to the planet menu

as you said, only actual problem is manually selecting a landing spot while looking at a planet. that is not present (also no manual landing)

Fredrik

This really bugs me. Couldn’t they at least have men and women wear different clothes?

8KmKjx4.jpg

IeeSWK7.jpg

And is this the coolest design they could come up with for a bartender?
4Si4xzv.jpg

ybEjVPV.jpg

Anyhow, I found Shakira:
DhsBsge.jpg

DwO6Nf3.jpg

Shubh_C63

I'm glad I didn't get spoiled, game story opening up a bit now.

And jesus christ the inventory MOD is godsent. How could people tolerate the game without it on consoles, because they don't know how good it could have been.

Sybrix

I'm getting into outposts and resource gathering now.

Is the only way to sell your resources by loading your inventory/ship and traveling to trader?

Found a derelict shit with a malfunctioning grav drive. Cool "dungeon".
I like how everyone runs into this one completely differently.
Some people never see it until subsequent playthroughs, some very late in the game, some on a random mission that takes you there.
I got there super early because there was a space battle going on right next to it and afterwards I just boarded it out of curiosity; I even got the mission item there, but I still don't have the mission after 80 hours lol.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
God this game is fucked. My character Married Sarah. Apparently she got so sick of my shit she left me, but it was random. She didn't say anything, the game just loaded and she was gone. She went back to the headquarters and told me she hated my guts. No clue why and the dialog lets you say you have no clue. She says how dare you. OK. 2 Seconds later she is happy and says she approves of my last decision. I ask her to rejoin and she goes back to hating me. It is possible she glitched on another save. Whatever she sucked. The whole characters and romance was like a fucking 3% effort towards what Bioware did back in the first ME. I really can't believe it is this bad in a game this expensive and important. I can't imagine how terrible it would have been last year.

I am so fucking sick of everyone knowing everything I did instantly. If I kill a whole abandoned mine, wouldn't it take a fucking investigation to figure out who did it?

Antwix

I am so fucking sick of everyone knowing everything I did instantly. If I kill a whole abandoned mine, wouldn't it take a fucking investigation to figure out who did it?
They don't actually. Numerous times I've told my companion to "Wait here" while I go in and fuck up a room of people and it doesn't count against your affinity. You need to manually do that though I believe.

Gp1

Yep but the UI is truncated as fuck.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Still only level 28 but spending some points into Persuasion just to see the new options becoming available as some of you have stated.
Maybe I've been lucky but with zero points invested I've had maybe 3 or 4 failed attempts out of 20 which ain't too bad!

Last edited:
I'm kind of interested to keep NG+ing to see what happens, but at the same time not that interested.

So now firmly into my NG+ I'm going to just gather my resources and start building my crap again. I'm going to complete the Freestar to get the reward at the end and probably just explore some side quests, but mostly survey and build things. Gotta rebuild the beach house.

Reactions: Gp1
This big Ecliptic class C ship (Claymore) landed on a planet I was on, so I got on and killed everyone - but it says "You are not authorized to pilot this ship", but I have maxed pilot ranking? Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Although, I don't own an Xbox, I sincerely hope Series X (and I suppose parity would demand S as well) gets some kind of 60fps performance mode in the future, and further optimisation and an official DLSS mod for pc provide the same, because I firmly believe Starfield shines at 60+FPS and is the way it should be played.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
I went to Neon for the Fleet mission and stumbled on this gang war side quest that ended up being very interesting. It must be a low level quest, because there aren’t many enemies. But very nice writing and combat scenarios. City is very fun to traverse too, gave me Cyberpunk vibes. I also accidentally killed a civilian during it, and Andreja got mad and left 😔

Finally messed with the shipbuilder aspect some - pretty nice really. I mostly modified my Star Eagle to have a shit ton more cargo space, but in the process ended up altering some engines and whatnot. Not too bad once you get used to how it works, but can be daunting at first. I think I'll try to make a custom ship as well soon but for now 6k cargo space will do me ok.

reinking

Gold Member
The more I play the less impressed I become. With reroll and replaying stuff, I easily have over 100 hours in the game. I know the whole "get used to it" vibe with the ship builder but I am not sure they could have created a more cumbersome and clunky way of doing it if they tried. Today, I spent probably six hours modding the Razorleaf and another few going out and purchasing Narwhal and Dragonfire to see what I liked best. I am probably going to stick with the modded Razorleaf unless I decide the 7 slots for crew members is worth rolling back to go purchase the Dragonfire again. Regardless of which ship I choose to stick with, I am probably making a run to NG+ and parking the game after that for a replay down the road when things improve.

Antwix

The more I play the less impressed I become. With reroll and replaying stuff, I easily have over 100 hours in the game. I know the whole "get used to it" vibe with the ship builder but I am not sure they could have created a more cumbersome and clunky way of doing it if they tried. Today, I spent probably six hours modding the Razorleaf and another few going out and purchasing Narwhal and Dragonfire to see what I liked best. I am probably going to stick with the modded Razorleaf unless I decide the 7 slots for crew members is worth rolling back to go purchase the Dragonfire again. Regardless of which ship I choose to stick with, I am probably making a run to NG+ and parking the game after that for a replay down the road when things improve.
I use a Dragonfire II. I love it. Good cargo, good fire power. Plus it's got quick access to the cockpit/bed/exit without messing around with ladders.

NG+ badly needs a skip quest option. The tour of the Key again? Fuck that shit. Can't even park your character in a corner and wait for it to play out. It's a 10 minutes cutscene with no real choices just so you get convenient traders in NG+.
There needs to be a way to set up the state of longer quests if you did them once. The Mathis choice is not even a real choice so the following Lock mission is a gigantic waste of time (I did it last week and it was cool but I don't want to do it again so soon). I just want to skip this bullshit and see how a different final choice plays out and affects the world state.

KU_

God this game is fucked. My character Married Sarah. Apparently she got so sick of my shit she left me, but it was random. She didn't say anything, the game just loaded and she was gone. She went back to the headquarters and told me she hated my guts. No clue why and the dialog lets you say you have no clue. She says how dare you. OK. 2 Seconds later she is happy and says she approves of my last decision. I ask her to rejoin and she goes back to hating me. It is possible she glitched on another save. Whatever she sucked. The whole characters and romance was like a fucking 3% effort towards what Bioware did back in the first ME. I really can't believe it is this bad in a game this expensive and important. I can't imagine how terrible it would have been last year.

Sounds incredibly realistic.

Restarted, focused on Crimson Fleet missions, had enough to buy a Taito ship from Neon. I can now jump 170 lightyears, meaning no more having to jump system to system taking ages. A game Changer.

Chukhopops

Finished the game, started NG+ and now I have the
everyone is dead situation.

I didn’t like the main quest in the beginning but the last few missions were great including the twist.

I wish you could do more with the Crimson Fleet, they were more interesting than any other group in the game.

DaGwaphics

Came across a pretty cool dynamic activity just now. Traveled to a random moon and when I got there, I noticed a large Deimos freighter in orbit with a destroyed engine and grav drive. Decided to dock into it and board it, to find that the ship was completely ravaged and taken over by pirates. The gravity system was also on the fritz, causing the ship to fall in and out of Zero-G every few seconds. So you're going from on foot to zero gravity constantly while fighting off a hoard of pirates which was cool af.

There was a locked vault near the front of the ship, and my companion hinted that I'd need to restore power to it. I cleared out the main level but couldn't find anything to get the door open. Kept looking around and noticed there was a broken elevator towards the back of the ship. Looked up and saw that the elevator had a hatch the in the roof that I could open. Opened it, waited for the gravity system to fail, then shot myself through the hatch and up the elevator shaft at zero G. Got me up to the ship's third level where I encountered the main pirate 'boss'. Killed him, then floated through a small corridor which led to a computer room with a computer that unlocked the vault on the ground level. Went back down and gained access to the vault which contained a crapload of loot.

The game really encourages you to go off the beaten path and keep poking around just to discover what's out there. It's this type of stuff that will keep me playing this for a good while.

That sounds like a great setup. Hopefully I run across it.

This game really rewards players that take the time to look around and engage with the NPCs.

DaGwaphics

Once I levelled up the jetpack, Im good. Just run and take off and it will carry you for a good distance.

Agreed, on a planet with lowish gravity, you can really cover a lot of ground if you time the bursts right.

I talked to the LIST guy again and now I'm a traveling salesman. :messenger_tears_of_joy: I was hoping he would give me more quests involving the independent settlers (like the satellite/spacer one I ran across).

Last edited:

Orbital2060

Yeah, I am doing that but it's still not fast enough and it's not a viable option on higher or normal gravity worlds.
I didnt see your post as I was replying. Yeah thats bound to happen I guess. I havent come across that many high gravity planets yet.

It would be nice with some kind of rover type vehicle, with a jump or hover ability.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I didnt see your post as I was replying. Yeah thats bound to happen I guess. I havent come across that many high gravity planets yet.

It would be nice with some kind of rover type vehicle, with a jump or hover ability.
Yeah, exactly. It would actually help pass the time in a fun way too. People complained about Mako back in the day but at least it was more fun trying to do bitchin' kick flips in that thing as opposed to just holding the stick forward with a paper weight and playing something on my phone to entertain myself, lol.

This big Ecliptic class C ship (Claymore) landed on a planet I was on, so I got on and killed everyone - but it says "You are not authorized to pilot this ship", but I have maxed pilot ranking? Any thoughts?
Either a bug or the ship is a special kind that can't be taken over, I've run into a couple of those; I'm leaning towards bug though.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Once I levelled up the jetpack, Im good. Just run and take off and it will carry you for a good distance.

Going from place to place is soooooo booooooring. AMP is our lord and saviour. I’ve crafted like 100+ of these and as far as I’m concerned +30% speed bonus that it grants should be the default running speed.

Zheph

Just got a new update on Xbox ???
Starfield 1.7.33 Update - Fixes and Improvements
General
  • Characters: Fixed an issue that could cause some characters to not be in their proper location.
  • Star Stations: Fixed an issue where Star Stations would be labeled as a player-owned ship.
  • Vendors: Addressed an issue that allowed for a vendor’s full inventory to be accessible
Graphics
  • AMD (PC): Resolved an issue that caused star lens flares not to appear correctly AMD GPUs.
  • Graphics: Addressed an upscaling issue that could cause textures to become blurry.
  • Graphics: Resolved an issue that could cause photosensitivity issues when scrolling through the inventory menu.
Performance and Stability
  • Hand Scanner: Addressed an issue where the Hand Scanner caused hitching.
  • Various stability and performance improvements to address crashing and freezes.
Ships
  • Displays: Fixed an issue that would cause displayed items to disappear when applied to in-ship mannequins.
  • Displays: Fixed an issue that would cause items stored in Razorleaf Storage Containers and Weapon Racks to disappear after commandeering another ship.

twilo99

So from what I’ve seen thus far if you do nothing else but the side quests you are looking at around 160hrs of content..

Last edited:
Top Bottom