• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

King Dazzar

Although, I don't own an Xbox, I sincerely hope Series X (and I suppose parity would demand S as well) gets some kind of 60fps performance mode in the future, and further optimisation and an official DLSS mod for pc provide the same, because I firmly believe Starfield shines at 60+FPS and is the way it should be played.
Well the 30fps and washed out HDR put me off on XSX straight away. For me the controls in fire fights didnt feel tight enough due to latency issues, besides the 30fps. And that's before I even got to the limited bland interaction with the NPC's I experienced with my time with the game. 60fps would at least incentivise me to go deeper in. I sincerely dont get the acceptance of this as a quality release from first party Xbox. But hey, I know others will strongly disagree. And mediocrity seems to be the sweet spot for some these days. Simply not good enough for me though.

Last edited:

Luipadre

Gold Member
Probably easier to do when you remove 20% of the content in the weeks before launch.

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

Do some research maybe. Just take a look at the first patch for example. Dont do it if you dont have 30 mins to read through tho. Larian post launch patch support is insane and its not just bug fixes, but many improvements too

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Some interesting easter eggs there that I never saw before, including a Fallout 3 Gary vault one and a nirnroot from TES being in Starfield

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
Starfield_LargeHero_FullDirect.png

A small update has gone out for Starfield on Xbox Series X|S, Microsoft Store, and Steam. This update addresses some issues with performance and stability as well as a few general gameplay issues.

GENERAL
  • Characters: Fixed an issue that could cause some characters to not be in their proper location.
  • Star Stations: Fixed an issue where Star Stations would be labeled as a player-owned ship.
  • Vendors: Addressed an issue that allowed for a vendor’s full inventory to be accessible.
GRAPHICS
  • AMD (PC): Resolved an issue that caused star lens flares not to appear correctly AMD GPUs.
  • Graphics: Addressed an upscaling issue that could cause textures to become blurry.
  • Graphics: Resolved an issue that could cause photosensitivity issues when scrolling through the inventory menu.
PERFORMANCE AND STABILITY
  • Hand Scanner: Addressed an issue where the Hand Scanner caused hitching.
  • Various stability and performance improvements to address crashing and freezes.
SHIPS
  • Displays: Fixed an issue that would cause displayed items to disappear when applied to in-ship mannequins.
  • Displays: Fixed an issue that would cause items stored in Razorleaf Storage Containers and Weapon Racks to disappear after commandeering another ship.

Havoc2049

It looks boring because, right now, the mod is just a prof of concept showing that the engine can handle seamless travel between planet and the outer space section is just filled with nothing but void.

Imagine if Bethesda could fill the outer space with things happening organically like they did in every other game creation engine game.

Ships traveling, battles, pirates, miners, merchant ships, those well known random encounters, uncharted planets, etc.

Anyone that played Elite Dangerous in it's infancy know how this system could be explored and how it could heavily benefit the sense of discovery in this kind of game.

i still believe that either Bethesda will explore this angle on future expansions or the community will mod this in.
In Elite Dangerous, when traveling in system, you use the supercruise mode (because normal travel in space would literally take days, weeks, months or even years) and the only thing available is the interdiction mini-game, where you interdict a ship or are being interdicted. All the action you are describing takes place at the sun/star, orbiting a planet or some event that you supercruise to.

Starfield has quite a bit of action while orbiting planets as well. There are random battles, you can mine asteroids, hail ships, random events, dock with space stations, etc. Hell, you can even be a sci-fi armored car bank robber once you figure out the Galbank ship routes.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Still waiting on the update that will make this fun to play.

Jokes aside, this is a minor update. I thought it was a big one since it has a thread. There's tons of stuff that need to be addressed in this game.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
please let us deactivate that awful color grading

Can’t recommend this highly enough if you are playing on PC. But yeah it looks so nasty by default. Blacks are a neutral gray color and everything looks washed out. Breaks my heart to see this shit on an OLED

Gp1

In Elite Dangerous, when traveling in system, you use the supercruise mode (because normal travel in space would literally take days, weeks, months or even years) and the only thing available is the interdiction mini-game, where you interdict a ship or are being interdicted. All the action you are describing takes place at the sun/star, orbiting a planet or some event that you supercruise to.

Starfield has quite a bit of action while orbiting planets as well. There are random battles, you can mine asteroids, hail ships, random events, dock with space stations, etc. Hell, you can even be a sci-fi armored car bank robber once you figure out the Galbank ship routes.

Ok, but at least you are still piloting your ship in supercruise and thing can happen, anyway i still play Elite here and there and you don't really dock, land or navigate with anything in Starfield. IMHO the space part in Elite fells a lot more organic than in Starfield without even considering the MMO element. The sense of achievement after take a long run over a bunch of lawless systems without the possibility to refuel in Elite still wasn't matched by anything in the genre.

I don't know i don't feel like i'm exploring the space in Starfield.

About the bank heist, problem is that the automatic bounty system works in space as soon as you commit a crime, without even considering being scolled by your crew mates. At least it happend to me when i got feed up to the SSNN crew in the feedback pool event.

TVexperto

Can’t recommend this highly enough if you are playing on PC. But yeah it looks so nasty by default. Blacks are a neutral gray color and everything looks washed out. Breaks my heart to see this shit on an OLED
i play on series s and geforce now :(

Worst thing about a patch coming in, if I let it start while my game isn't running I have to wait until it's finished to play and I have a glacial internet speed. Wanted to play some Starfield, damn it! Why for so little changes is this 1 gig anyway? Should have left the game running earlier! :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Neff

Right so I started 'Background Checks', but because my stealth is crap I gave up and decided to try it later. So I've gone back but now I'm locked out of Ryujin Industries and the sneaky way in via the cargo container is no longer available. The button used to initially summon it doesn't work anymore either. Any suggestions?

Well the 30fps and washed out HDR put me off on XSX straight away. For me the controls in fire fights didnt feel tight enough due to latency issues, besides the 30fps. And that's before I even got to the limited bland interaction with the NPC's I experienced with my time with the game. 60fps would at least incentivise me to go deeper in. I sincerely dont get the acceptance of this as a quality release from first party Xbox. But hey, I know others will strongly disagree. And mediocrity seems to be the sweet spot for some these days. Simply not good enough for me though.
I never understood why Todd Howard and Co decided for the player how they would experience Starfield.

Bethesda decided everyone would have a 30fps experience because THEY believed it was the best approach for all of US - and as the consumer we should always obey...oh, and if you wanted 60fps with reduced graphical settings, well that's too bad.

So basically I understand this right about outposts?

If I wanted to get a variety of products from a system - say 3 or 4 planets with mining outposts, I could link all of those to one main one with cargo links, then at the "main" outpost, I could have a inter-system cargo link sending all of that out to a base in another star system, right? Instead of building inter-system links at each one correct?

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
I've been super busy lately with the kids. I downloaded this last night. I'm like 6 hours in. I'm having fun so far. Really enjoying learning the game. Hopefully it keeps me interested.

Draugoth

Gold Member

Antwix

So basically I understand this right about outposts?

If I wanted to get a variety of products from a system - say 3 or 4 planets with mining outposts, I could link all of those to one main one with cargo links, then at the "main" outpost, I could have a inter-system cargo link sending all of that out to a base in another star system, right? Instead of building inter-system links at each one correct?
I'm not an outpost expert yet but this is how I understand it. You can do that with one thing you need to keep in mind. When you are sending your resources to your main outpost, you need to create a separate cargo link to connect to each planet's cargo link. So if you have 4 outposts sending stuff to your main planet, you need 4 cargo links at your main planet to receive each planet's resources. A cargo link can only connect to 1 other cargo link and vice versa. You cannot share cargo links for different connections. Also note that you can only build 3 cargo links per outpost with base perks. You can either put 1 skill point into outpost mgmt to increase (to 6 I think) or you can recruit Lin as a outpost companion since she has that perk.

I'm not an outpost expert yet but this is how I understand it. You can do that with one thing you need to keep in mind. When you are sending your resources to your main outpost, you need to create a separate cargo link to connect to each planet's cargo link. So if you have 4 outposts sending stuff to your main planet, you need 4 cargo links at your main planet to receive each planet's resources. A cargo link can only connect to 1 other cargo link and vice versa. You cannot share cargo links for different connections. Also note that you can only build 3 cargo links per outpost with base perks. You can either put 1 skill point into outpost mgmt to increase (to 6 I think) or you can recruit Lin as a outpost companion since she has that perk.
Interesting - that's what I thought.

So you could have them all come to the "main" area, then make an entirely new cargo link to send them off even further to your super ultimate base.

Chukhopops

It’s a shame you get so little XP for activities and quests, and it seems to barely scale (if at all) with levels.

You get more XP farming space encounters or wild animals for 5 mins than you get finishing entire quests, hope it will be fixed at some point.

Aside from that I really like what they did with NG+, such a great idea to keep things fresh.

TheZink

Anyone else have the bug where you load a save and your character cant move?

Its very annoying. Ill have to hard restart the game multiple times to work properly.

Top Bottom