• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

A slow start can be okay if it isn't dull. Fallout 3 was a slow start, but it was all integrated into the character creation system and then suddenly you're set free into the world. And because it started the way it did, there was a better impression of where the character actually came from.

Anyway, I'm not finding it remotely boring, just difficult to get into my character's shoes. Probably doesn't help that I've just spent weeks in Baldur's Gate, which is probably the best written story I've ever seen in a game.
Man, I dislike Fallout 3's intro so much.. I hate being stuck in the Vault and having to go through those motions. I get what you're saying, but I don't want to know where the character came from in these kinds of games - I am that character and I figure that out. I feel like Starfield's is serviceable but not amazing. I'd take Morrowind any day (wake up, hello, set basic stats/skills and view fundamental mechanics, bye!).

Man, I dislike Fallout 3's intro so much.. I hate being stuck in the Vault and having to go through those motions. I get what you're saying, but I don't want to know where the character came from in these kinds of games - I am that character and I figure that out. I feel like Starfield's is serviceable but not amazing. I'd take Morrowind any day (wake up, hello, set basic stats/skills and view fundamental mechanics, bye!).
Yeah, that's my favorite Bethesda opening; Morrowind. What I'd do differently from Starfield is just make it so getting access to that first ship is actually challenging. Talk to other miners and do some basic jobs to build up some income. Maybe even start with just buying a ticket on public transport to get off that first rock to really emphasize how you're stuck on that planet with limited opportunities, or sneak and stowaway on a mining transport ship. Flesh out a mining mission board with quests requiring you to gather multiple minerals. Start with an artifact vision pointing you towards New Atlantis and you have to get there on your own by working your way off the planet. Then once you get to Constellation, start the rest mostly where they left off.

Last edited:

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I am gaining new respect for the Biome aspect of the game.
I've been walking towards an objective for about 10 minutes but keeping busy scanning various plants and animals on the way.

Still not sure if I'll commit deploying Outposts but this planet is just beautiful.
I just started having Sam Coe as a companion and he just shoots everything on sight.
Even the cute armadillo looking innocent critters.

I swear he would shoot a baby in the face if there was one 😆

Topher

Gold Member
I'm ahhh role playing in an RPG..... For example, I just finished the main Freestar Ranger quest line last night and became a full fledged Ranger. So now I'm fully decked out in Ranger gear and weapons (even though it was a slight downgrade from the Mantis gear I was wearing), with the Ranger Star Eagle ship, and now I'm completing Ranger missions from the Ranger mission board and taking care of issues around Akila City. Once I finished a bunch of Ranger and Akila City missions and quests, I'll dip back into the main quest line. I also want to become a bad ass warrior and pilot, so I like leveling up those skills with ground combat missions and space combat missions. Getting those level 50 and level 100 achievements is a major time sink grind. I also want to be able to pilot any ship in the game and I'm closing in on my dream ship that I want to buy and mod into a bad ass ship. I don't mind the grind though, as I'm enjoying the main game and the tons of stuff to do in the RPG meta game that Bethesda games are known for.

My play time so far in Starfiled is 77hrs 48mins. I've only completed the UC Vanguard and Freestar Ranger quest lines and about 1/3 of the main quest line, along with fully completing a character relationship quest with Sarah. Sarah and I got married, had a honeymoon and I bought us a mansion to live in on Nesoi 🤣. So far on my quest board, I've completed 41 quests/missions and have 18 missions/quests and 20 activities outstanding. So I still have tons of stuff to do, along with the Ryujin, Crimson Fleet and main quest lines.

Here are my stats at 140+ hours. I loaded up a save from before the endgame going into NG+.

MjesZ8j.png

Mephisto40 Mephisto40 I'd be interested to see a screenshot of your mission stats screen.

Here are my stats at 140+ hours. I loaded up a save from before the endgame going into NG+.

MjesZ8j.png

Mephisto40 Mephisto40 I'd be interested to see a screenshot of your mission stats screen.
I'll jump in - here's mine around 90 hours I think. Also loaded from end game before NG+.
PG26oPI.jpg

I see you have a lot more Freestar Collective quests - are those just the quests from the board or?

Last edited:
Still doing stuff in Neon, missed a lot of side content my first time through. I knew about the gang but chose to ignore it last time - interesting little ending but wish it had alternative ways to play out. I think I've about exhausted Neon stuff finally, I like the small quest from the rock vendor that later kind of ties in to the lending lady. One thing that's kind of weird is after the gang situation is resolved you can still visit the vendor and pay for the armor even though the group technically doesn't exist anymore. I went ahead and did it but not sure why.

Last edited:

Antwix

vlcsnap-2023-09-29-12iiey7.png

Just an interesting tidbit regarding the Freestar mission board. The "special" mission unfortunately wasn't really anything different than the usual missions you accept on the board but has you interact before and after the quest with an NPC. It gives a bit of info/backstory about the mission but I thought it was a nice change compared to the normal board missions. I wonder if the other faction mission boards have these special missions...

Anyway, just to jump in here's my character after about 95 hours. Haven't done much shipbuilding/outposts/planet scanning. Completed all main faction quests though.

starfield-2023_09_29-y3dst.png

Last edited:

calistan

Yeah, that's my favorite Bethesda opening; Morrowind. What I'd do differently from Starfield is just make it so getting access to that first ship is actually challenging. Talk to other miners and do some basic jobs to build up some income. Maybe even start with just buying a ticket on public transport to get off that first rock to really emphasize how you're stuck on that planet with limited opportunities, or sneak and stowaway on a mining transport ship. Flesh out a mining mission board with quests requiring you to gather multiple minerals. Start with an artifact vision pointing you towards New Atlantis and you have to get there on your own by working your way off the planet. Then once you get to Constellation, start the rest mostly where they left off.
I appreciate that, I just think of whether this would work in a movie or book and Starfield doesn’t pass that test. The role playing element has to be very strong to pull it off. The opening puts it at a disadvantage.

Compare it with BG3, where you’re clearly ‘the one’ because you have visions of the person who’s protecting you all, and also being a Level 1 Warlock or whatever is a long way from being some ordinary shopkeeper or janitor.

Edit: sorry, was replying to the message above!

Last edited:

LastBattle

I just spent hours surveying a planet to knock the list mission of my activities, which has been active since I started the game. Was actually quite enjoying myself and the world was very beautiful with alien movie like giant eggs/pods everywhere. Stunning lighting at times too.

I had 2 fauna remaining which I struggled to find and after a little research discovered I had to
Head to the coast to scan fish. I think it took around 2hrs to scan those stupid fucking fish while constantly being frost bitten and dying. I just want to say to whoever worked on this part of the game. I hate you.

I just spent hours surveying a planet to knock the list mission of my activities, which has been active since I started the game. Was actually quite enjoying myself and the world was very beautiful with alien movie like giant eggs/pods everywhere. Stunning lighting at times too.

I had 2 fauna remaining which I struggled to find and after a little research discovered I had to
Head to the coast to scan fish. I think it took around 2hrs to scan those stupid fucking fish while constantly being frost bitten and dying. I just want to say to whoever worked on this part of the game. I hate you.
Yeah everyone goes through the fauna in the sea phase for 100% survey. Really awesome that you cant swim/dive on planets. A+ in making everyone putting survey missions on a pile of never again.

Yeah, fish are the least enjoyable thing for me to scan personally! Often the water is toxic and the experience is not as good as the rest of the surveying.

LastBattle

Yeah everyone goes through the fauna in the sea phase for 100% survey. Really awesome that you cant swim/dive on planets. A+ in making everyone putting survey missions on a pile of never again.
Funny you mention that, because I was repeating in my head “I’ve committed to see this through, but never again!” I suppose I could invest in some skills to make it easier but I’d rather spend them elsewhere that’s more relevant for my build.

Does anything ever happen with the room on Neon? I booked the room and it's an activity "visit your room in Neon", but if I go there, the bed is the questmarker. I tried sleeping a couple of days and nothing changed. The lady also won't let me in on her secret, though she claims she will if I rent for a few days - rented for a week and it's been days. Wondering if she's a red herring, but the quest marker makes me feel like it isn't?

Antwix

Does anything ever happen with the room on Neon? I booked the room and it's an activity "visit your room in Neon", but if I go there, the bed is the questmarker. I tried sleeping a couple of days and nothing changed. The lady also won't let me in on her secret, though she claims she will if I rent for a few days - rented for a week and it's been days. Wondering if she's a red herring, but the quest marker makes me feel like it isn't?
Not sure about the Neon one, but in Akila City it is the same thing. I forgot why I booked a room there but it had the same activity marker as you're describing. Then it would never complete for me until I came back to the city some time later in my playthrough. I think it's just for role playing reasons to even book a room in the first place and the quest marker is just showing you where your actual room is. Don't think there's anything more to it than that.

Not sure about the Neon one, but in Akila City it is the same thing. I forgot why I booked a room there but it had the same activity marker as you're describing. Then it would never complete for me until I came back to the city some time later in my playthrough. I think it's just for role playing reasons to even book a room in the first place and the quest marker is just showing you where your actual room is. Don't think there's anything more to it than that.
Darn, thanks. With her mysterious nature I was hoping something would transpire.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Just finished the Vanguard faction

Wow...people weren't kidding when I heard that the Constellation team shit talks you if you don't pick the microbe option. Sarah was the worst. I got a lot of "dislikes" with my rebuttals to her. If I could've chucked her out of an airlock, I would've done it right there.

Almost 80 hours in, I'm going to go make a beeline to finish the main questline. I'll definitely keep playing and see other stuff, but I'm ready to see this through once.

Last edited:
I am thinking of shifting gears and play it a bit like Skyrim.

Just noticed to scan gas giants and ice giants, you can do that from orbit, it's very quick.

So thinking of going to all systems in galaxy and scan all such planets before moving forward. Hopefully will run into some planets with life and some interesting quests as well, will just keep adding quests to the log.

Let's see how it goes.

Orbital2060

Here’s my Mission page at 185 hours in. Currently level 80.

F7QNDxOaQAAWrh2
I see your 4 main quests done - as Ive got 2 done. Only level 16 but got 30+ sidequests done, and 35 hours played or something. No factions yet. Going 90 % lateral and 10 % linear with the playing time. I figured might as well settle in and get to know the world as much as possible before focussing on the main quest.

Freeman76

Done with the game for now, somewhat of an anomaly for me. While I was playing it, I kept thinking this is easily the best game Bethesda have done.

However, the way they handled NG+ killed any motivation I had for it and I dropped it faster than any of their previous games. I played Skyrim and Fallout for months on end without getting bored.

Their idea for NG+ is cool in concept but it just makes the whole thing seem pointless. Building bases, decorating apartments, collecting resources, almost a waste of time.

While playing through the story/factions I would have said 10/10 game. Looking back now as an overall, I do agree with all the 7's, because for me personally their approach to 'endgame' killed my favourite thing about Bethesda games, the almost endless loop of hording and building.

Done with the game for now, somewhat of an anomaly for me. While I was playing it, I kept thinking this is easily the best game Bethesda have done.

However, the way they handled NG+ killed any motivation I had for it and I dropped it faster than any of their previous games. I played Skyrim and Fallout for months on end without getting bored.

Their idea for NG+ is cool in concept but it just makes the whole thing seem pointless. Building bases, decorating apartments, collecting resources, almost a waste of time.

While playing through the story/factions I would have said 10/10 game. Looking back now as an overall, I do agree with all the 7's, because for me personally their approach to 'endgame' killed my favourite thing about Bethesda games, the almost endless loop of hording and building.

NG+ idea always sounded weird to me. Make so much progress in game, then start all over again.

Seriously??

Freeman76

NG+ idea always sounded weird to me. Make so much progress in game, then start all over again.

Seriously??
Yeah seems many really like it so Bethesda knew what they were doing, but doesnt appeal to me at all. I walked away at the end but it still makes carrying on feel pointless to me lol. Just flat out killed my interest in the game. I had collected 1000s of bullets for all the weapon types, do they really think I want to scavenge around for all that again? Fuck off Todd

Still, I'm excited to see where they go with DLC and I got over 100 hours of enjoyment from it so I cant complain. Seems obscene that I have dropped a Bethesda game after that small amount of time though, must have at least 5 times that in their others.

Last edited:

Yeah, I'm really torn on it also. I agree that I can play Elder Scrolls for quite some time after completing, hell most of my time is usually played before completing the main "goal". But in Starfield it does feel like a punch to the gut to "finish" and be at ground zero in terms of acquisitions. I'm in this weird place where I'm still enjoying playing, but at the same time yearn for the setup I already had even if it wasn't anything fancy or that I couldn't recreate. I think the idea / method in which they handled NG+ conceptually is cool and novel, but I think the whole idea of a NG+ works against Bethesda's style of game.

Topher

Gold Member

Exactly....and the idea that they were encouraging folks to rush to NG+ is just so damn bizarre. I'm waiting until we get some more patches to play again, but more than likely I'm going back to my previous save before NG+.

EDMIX

Yeah, I'm really torn on it also. I agree that I can play Elder Scrolls for quite some time after completing, hell most of my time is usually played before completing the main "goal". But in Starfield it does feel like a punch to the gut to "finish" and be at ground zero in terms of acquisitions. I'm in this weird place where I'm still enjoying playing, but at the same time yearn for the setup I already had even if it wasn't anything fancy or that I couldn't recreate. I think the idea / method in which they handled NG+ conceptually is cool and novel, but I think the whole idea of a NG+ works against Bethesda's style of game.

Truth.

I don't see me doing it. I'll have a main game that I go HAM on and I'll just make new games for different builds. Even only playing for a small bit before jumping back in BG3, I can see I'm already going to be doing other builds to see different aspects of the game.

I too generally like the idea of finish the main quest and then spending 100 hours doing side quest aka the real meat of Bethesda games lol

So I see myself just ending the rest of the year with BG3, Starfield and Spiderman 2.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
I haven't posted much in this thread, because I just don't have time, but 40 hours in and I wanted to give my thoughts.

First, I hate how they totally went the safe route for all the companions and most characters in the game. Nothing sexy, edgy, evil, etc....Why can't I join the assassin's guild and kill for the glory of the dark mother?

However (!), I am loving the game in every other way, and it is the most I've been addicted to a game in the last few years. I'm enjoying most of the side quests, and the world building is still excellent. I even love reading the notes in some of the random quests that give you some ideas of what happened in this place. Then sometimes you start what looks like a small quest and leads into a huge drawn out quests with multiple bases, shop battles, and negotiations. Every day at work I'm just thinking about playing in the evening. Something about this game has captured me........
For me, it's the learning to be a space explorer. From the start of the game, the journey starts where you're basically learning about your occupation. I dont have a whole lot of time to play but, when I do pick it up, it's usually for two or three hours at a time. But its a struggle to stop, every time.

I literally just bought my first ship (aside from the Frontier) if that gives you any idea. I havent even touched the base and ship building aspects of the game. I'm gonna try to put in more time today after I watch a few videos on how to rack up stacks more quickly. I took forever just to rack up$130K.

Like, dude....fuck this grind shit!

I picked up a job in Neon making Aurora ( I believe thats what its called) and selling the stash to some business owner there? 3500 a pop, but, that just isnt cutting it. Still.....I love this game!

For me, it's the learning to be a space explorer. From the start of the game, the journey starts where you're basically learning about your occupation. I dont have a whole lot of time to play but, when I do pick it up, it's usually for two or three hours at a time. But its a struggle to stop, every time.

I literally just bought my first ship (aside from the Frontier) if that gives you any idea. I havent even touched the base and ship building aspects of the game. I'm gonna try to put in more time today after I watch a few videos on how to rack up stacks more quickly. I took forever just to rack up$130K.

Like, dude....fuck this grind shit!

I picked up a job in Neon making Aurora ( I believe thats what its called) and selling the stash to some business owner there? 3500 a pop, but, that just isnt cutting it. Still.....I love this game!
Credits were a little slow for me too, probably up to about that range of 150k, then the next thing I knew I had over 3 million.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
I have seen that ship before but never boarded it. Picked up a quest on Gagarin that asks you to board it - holy moly, that is one fun mission. So, we hear all kinds of shit how SF is stuck in 2012 and doesn't do anything new and yet I have never seen a game that does it before.
There's another mission like this one inside of a casino I believe? It's freaking huge! There's also a vent, where there's some pretty valuable contraband inside. I couldn't take it because I definitely wouldve been encumbered by it. Plus there was no way I was getting through customs with it either. I need to go back when I get a chance and grab it. Could use the stacks...

Havoc2049

vlcsnap-2023-09-29-12iiey7.png

Just an interesting tidbit regarding the Freestar mission board. The "special" mission unfortunately wasn't really anything different than the usual missions you accept on the board but has you interact before and after the quest with an NPC. It gives a bit of info/backstory about the mission but I thought it was a nice change compared to the normal board missions. I wonder if the other faction mission boards have these special missions...

Anyway, just to jump in here's my character after about 95 hours. Haven't done much shipbuilding/outposts/planet scanning. Completed all main faction quests though.

starfield-2023_09_29-y3dst.png
I just did this mission last night. The person I had a bounty on was pretty tough to kill and had some serious armor and weapons.

Top Bottom