• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

For me, it's the learning to be a space explorer. From the start of the game, the journey starts where you're basically learning about your occupation. I dont have a whole lot of time to play but, when I do pick it up, it's usually for two or three hours at a time. But its a struggle to stop, every time.

I literally just bought my first ship (aside from the Frontier) if that gives you any idea. I havent even touched the base and ship building aspects of the game. I'm gonna try to put in more time today after I watch a few videos on how to rack up stacks more quickly. I took forever just to rack up$130K.

Like, dude....fuck this grind shit!

I picked up a job in Neon making Aurora ( I believe thats what its called) and selling the stash to some business owner there? 3500 a pop, but, that just isnt cutting it. Still.....I love this game!
I haven't felt like making credits was too difficult, but I'm also a ridiculous hoarder who takes absolutely everything. Do some bounty board missions where you go take out some spacers or something. Between the actual reward and all the loot I usually clear 20-30k per mission. I actually just spent an hour upgrading the Mantis ship to get my feet wet on the ship-building side, and that cost me a crazy 125k, but now the weapons and engines have enough power to really rock ships that are above my level.

DaGwaphics

Those insane brain spider things I just came across, wow, you don't mess with them. Unless maybe you've advanced a skill that lets you run faster.

By far the most aggressive Fauna I've come across so far. You have to do so many to complete the scan on them.

DaGwaphics

I haven't felt like making credits was too difficult, but I'm also a ridiculous hoarder who takes absolutely everything. Do some bounty board missions where you go take out some spacers or something. Between the actual reward and all the loot I usually clear 20-30k per mission. I actually just spent an hour upgrading the Mantis ship to get my feet wet on the ship-building side, and that cost me a crazy 125k, but now the weapons and engines have enough power to really rock ships that are above my level.

I hear you. The first skill I maxed out was the weight lifting so I could carry more stuff. Though there have been a few times when I've been a few hundred over the limit still, if it ain't nailed down I'm taking it. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

TheUsual

Gold Member
Basically got to the end tonight. Decided to pause for the evening.

I sided with neither The Hunter or The Emissary. Killed both and got all their artifacts. Now I am going chipping away getting those powers...having to go to Vlad one by one. This part seriously is fucking dumb....Vlad should just give me all the remaining temple locations and let me be on my way. The game is just adding bloat here that is unneeded and ruins the users experience.

Last edited:
Fucking hell my 3rd universe has the same seed as #2!
The plan was to settle down until the expansion, investigate what the hell is an outpost and maybe repeat the awesome Vanguard quest. Good thing you can skip most of the main quest...

Fredrik

Finally installed a mod that makes Morgan shine more

QdMbLBH.jpg
Now we’re talking!
Mod name?

Fredrik

As said in another thread, ended up playing for 10 hours yesterday. Second run and still only 1 main quest cleared, no Constellation companions, playing it differently now. Cleared out some random bases, ecliptics tried to wipe me out but I killed them all and stole their Stiletto. Did some mission board stuff, took a tourist tour, pretended to be an alien to scare away tourists, did my first red mile run, that was something else. Then I built two new spaceships from the Stiletto and built on my base. The amount of content in this game is in a whole other level, haven’t started doing the main quests and it still feel like the game just keeps on moving along. I clearly rushed it the first time. Taking it slow now.
I love the game. 9/10 or higher right now, warts and all.

Last edited:
As said in another thread, ended up playing for 10 hours yesterday. Second run and still only 1 main quest cleared, no Constellation companions, playing it differently now. Cleared out some random bases, ecliptics tried to wipe me out but I killed them all and stole their Stiletto. Did some mission board stuff, took a tourist tour, pretended to be an alien to scare away tourists, did my first red mile run, that was something else. Then I built two new spaceships from the Stiletto and built on my base. The amount of content in this game is in a whole other level, haven’t started doing the main quests and it still feel like the game just keeps on moving along. I clearly rushed it the first time. Taking it slow now.
I love the game. 9/10 or higher right now, warts and all.

70 hrs in, game has opened up another layer for me.

I have started exploring the galaxy with aim to land on most planets and see as much hand crafted content as possible. Still just lvl 21, only 3 main quests done.

I intend to do all building/ crafting in this playthrough itself. So many ways to play the game.

Fredrik

70 hrs in, game has opened up another layer for me.

I have started exploring the galaxy with aim to land on most planets and see as much hand crafted content as possible. Still just lvl 21, only 3 main quests done.

I intend to do all building/ crafting in this playthrough itself. So many ways to play the game.
The base building is oddly addictive, I mark the stuff I need and then I can explore the universe and mine with an aim to find the resources I need, it’s a game within the game. I did nothing of that in my first playthrough.
This time I’m mostly minding my own business as a settler. But I’m a bit disappointed that I couldn’t stay out of all the war stuff. I had contraband on a stolen ship and got scanned and it triggered the… infiltration quest, you know if you know. I thought picking no side and serving my time in jail would reset things but it ended with new enemies. So I reloaded, seems like it’s a crossroad and you need to pick a side there.

WorldHero

About 30 hours in, this game is insanely deep. I just started doing the Ryujin missions and am having a blast. My persuasion game is off the charts and working out well. Going to spend the day learning how to build ships. I still need to understand Outposts and Ship modifying better. It's a very unique gaming experience - solid 9/10.

Chukhopops

It’s a shame the NG+ ship is so bad and cannot be upgraded, I was enjoying all the unique reactions you get out of it but it’s straight crap past the early game.

I keep being amazed by how many unique dialogue options you get in NG+.

twilo99

[
About 30 hours in, this game is insanely deep. I just started doing the Ryujin missions and am having a blast. My persuasion game is off the charts and working out well. Going to spend the day learning how to build ships. I still need to understand Outposts and Ship modifying better. It's a very unique gaming experience - solid 9/10.

I need to spend some time on ship building as well.. I’m actually still riding around in the Frontier lol

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
It’s a shame the NG+ ship is so bad and cannot be upgraded, I was enjoying all the unique reactions you get out of it but it’s straight crap past the early game.

I keep being amazed by how many unique dialogue options you get in NG+.
NG+ ship can be upgraded 6 times and it's purpose is the 1500 Fuel to zip around and is the only ship in the game that can break lockon when you boost. Giving you cloaking while you boost and can cover the most distance in a short time.

I imagine it's probably the best scout ship and is exceptional when you know how to quickturn with the thrusters.

Chukhopops

NG+ ship can be upgraded 6 times and it's purpose is the 1500 Fuel to zip around and is the only ship in the game that can break lockon when you boost. Giving you cloaking while you boost and can cover the most distance in a short time.

I imagine it's probably the best scout ship and is exceptional when you know how to quickturn with the thrusters.
Wait where can it be upgraded? Does it need specific skills?

I like piloting it but I didn’t know you could upgrade it.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Wait where can it be upgraded? Does it need specific skills?

I like piloting it but I didn’t know you could upgrade it.
NG+ 6 times. Ship is primarily used to bumrush NG+ in 40 minutes. The Suit can upgrade 10 times but you can just reroll on the Mantis suit until you get the desired Legendary Traits you want. The NG+ suit is great for quick runs but is garbage otherwise.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Yesterday I completed the Ryujin faction quest where you have to steal schematics aboard the Trident luxury cruise ship.

My stealth is poor but I've been lucky so far with persuasion & I also had a legendary helmet that cloaked me when crouched.
But I replaced that helmet.

There's this snob lady Gladys beside the door so I figure if I do her sidequest she will somehow help me with the schematics. Nope, she just wanted me to fetch her a fancy drink.

So I cross my fingers, crouch and lockpick the door.
Immediately 3 guards show up and I go the "You'll never take me alive!!" option & shoot my way out.

On my ship back to Neon I get stopped after being scanned & get slapped with a 77K + fine 😆

I had over 260K so I didn't mind that much.
I also never reload a save so that's that.
Money can buy anything YAY!

My current built space ship, it’s a bit chubby but I love the cockpit, and no ladders from docking bay to the pilot seat, got stairs instead.
s2egvMS.jpg

zhsRqX4.jpg

I absolutely love that cockpit from the interior. The exterior look reminds me of a toad's face. I do want to use it for my final ship, but I'm now debating whether I want to wait to build it until I've gone NG+. I feel like I wasted a ton of my skill points on useless skills, and I kind of want to re-roll from the beginning. NG+ would be one way to do that.....

Fredrik

I absolutely love that cockpit from the interior. The exterior look reminds me of a toad's face. I do want to use it for my final ship, but I'm now debating whether I want to wait to build it until I've gone NG+. I feel like I wasted a ton of my skill points on useless skills, and I kind of want to re-roll from the beginning. NG+ would be one way to do that.....
Yeah it’s a bit chunky, difficult get it rounded with two rows and 3 lock-on spots wide at the rear. I connected it to a huge 3x3 hab that is like a dining room, very roomy ship, love it.

I dabbled a bit with NG+ but then went directly into a new build instead. Focused on research, outpost, ship building, and weightlifting lol cause I carry a lot of loot all the time from mining resources, I use a pack with +carry weight too.

reinking

Gold Member
I feel like I wasted a ton of my skill points on useless skills, and I kind of want to re-roll from the beginning. NG+ would be one way to do that.....
Skill points do not reset on NG+. I went through the same thing about feeling I wasted skill points. Twice. I stuck with my third character to NG+. I still have a couple of skills I felt like I wasted points in but I am already sitting on the other side of NG+ with that character so I am not abandoning it... ...at least for now. My biggest mistake is I purchased the DLC for Game Pass. Now I am thinking I should have purchased it on Steam since I ended up playing exclusively on PC. Obviously, if I double dip I will need to restart since I don't think the saves are compatible. Decisions decisions....

Antwix

Skill points do not reset on NG+. I went through the same thing about feeling I wasted skill points. Twice. I stuck with my third character to NG+. I still have a couple of skills I felt like I wasted points in but I am already sitting on the other side of NG+ with that character so I am not abandoning it... ...at least for now. My biggest mistake is I purchased the DLC for Game Pass. Now I am thinking I should have purchased it on Steam since I ended up playing exclusively on PC. Obviously, if I double dip I will need to restart since I don't think the saves are compatible. Decisions decisions....
You can swap over your game pass save to steam : https://steamcommunity.com/app/1716740/discussions/0/3824173836670489231/

Dang! I had assumed you would be able to reroll your skills in NG+. That's seems like a major oversight....hmmm, do I nuke my character after 50 hours, or just keep going????

John Marston

My current built space ship, it’s a bit chubby but I love the cockpit, and no ladders from docking bay to the pilot seat, got stairs instead.
s2egvMS.jpg

zhsRqX4.jpg

Found a crashed spaceship, thought the environmental story telling was cool with the days in space note laying on a table
qESAqYH.jpg

xhMEffa.jpg

0VFDk3I.jpg
Your cockpit reminds me a bit of Space 1999's Eagle design.
Very cool 🙂

Dang! I had assumed you would be able to reroll your skills in NG+. That's seems like a major oversight....hmmm, do I nuke my character after 50 hours, or just keep going????
I mean - unless you've made a lot of truly awful decisions, I'd say just keep going. There's no level cap so you just keep earning more skill points as time goes on and XP is easy enough.

reinking

Gold Member
For me, it comes down to the time I would spend re-rolling (again) vs making up for the skill points. There are plenty of options for experience farms so depending on your situation it might be better to go that route. I do feel I wasted points in skills I have no desire to use but who knows what the future holds as Bethesda updates the game. I am also thinking there might be a future mod that can reset skill points.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

In all the time I've been playing, just came upon my first zero g combat encounter on a ship. Changes up the combat quite a bit, but it was fun. I'll be more familiar with it the next time.

John Marston

Quick question for my 2nd walkthrough.
Has anyone experimented with a melee build?
I'm hesitant because of the clunkyness in their previous games.

Also for any dumbasses like me I just discovered the "equip" button in the companions inventory.

I was still thinking like in Fallout 3 where companions would automatically equip the best item.

Now I can "Marstonize" all of my companions with cowboy hats and ponchos 😁

Quick question for my 2nd walkthrough.
Has anyone experimented with a melee build?
I'm hesitant because of the clunkyness in their previous games.

Also for any dumbasses like me I just discovered the "equip" button in the companions inventory.

I was still thinking like in Fallout 3 where companions would automatically equip the best item.

Now I can "Marstonize" all of my companions with cowboy hats and ponchos 😁
It's still the same Bethesda melee. Better mobility cause of the boost pack.

John Marston

This is really a first world problem but I'm starting to get tired of spending over 20 minutes just hopping from planet to planet just to sell my stuff because every vendor gets broke real quick.

I was hoping the "commerce" perk would eventually give vendors more money.

And yes I also sleep sometimes for 48 hours but it gets tedious.

Stupid baby rant off 😄

YuLY

Can someone explain please how the procedural generation for planets actually works? Is it the planet itself that is random or the interest points and terrain location?

So if I go on Eridani IV and its a temperate foresty planet (at least in a specific biome), will it be a temperate foresty planet for everyone ? or for someone it might be a dead rock ?

Last edited:

Fredrik

To be honest, Starfield is the first Bethesda game I’ve finished. I usually start over before reaching the end because I want to try a different character build.
So from my perspective, I’d say just start over if you don’t like your build.
But if you’re close to the end and like seeing credits roll you could keep going just to get the full picture of what a full game loop is about. Then start over.

Fredrik

Can someone explain please how the procedural generation for planets actually works? Is it the planet itself that is random or the interest points and terrain location?

So if I go on Eridani IV and its a temperate foresty planet (at least in a specific biome), will it be a temperate foresty planet for everyone ? or for someone it might be a dead rock ?
The planet surface is procedurally generated with hills and all that being different and the hand-crafted blocks are placed on the surface through procedural generation. Every playthrough is different from the last one.

It’s kinda like Returnal if you’ve played that, but instead of rooms they shuffle around on each run they shuffle around blocks of planet surface content.

As far as I know the biome and climate on a planet stays the same.

BigLee74

Whilst planets ARE procedurally generated, I believe they are the same terrain-wise for everybody.

It has already been proven that adjacent tiles all line up as expected. Got a huge mountain on one tile? You’ll see it if you can land on a tile adjacent to it.

The issue here is that planets are huge, and it’s impossible to select two tiles adjacent to each other as you can’t zoom in close enough to accurately select.

So yeah, if two people on 2 different games select the same planet tile, they will see the same procedurally generated terrain.

What is random are the placement of points of interest within a tile.

calistan

Where are you meant to get a regular supply of digipicks from? They're really scarce.

I just did a really shoddy mission where I had to get a map from Sam's dad, so I asked Sam to distract him while I stole it. Went to the door, no digipicks, and none for sale anywhere in the city.

Obviously I had to travel all the way back to the starting city. Bought some digipicks, returned to Sam (this is in a different star system) and sure enough he is still there, distracting his dad.

So I pick the lock and pick up the map, only for a ranger to spawn in the room and arrest me for stealing. Had to reload and do it again, this time shutting the door and crouching before picking up the map, so the magic rangers wouldn't see me in that otherwise empty house.

Then I go to tell Sam he can stop distracting his dad now, and he openly starts reading and discussing the map right there. Obviously the dad wanders off without reacting at all.

Top Bottom