• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't matter when they adopted F2P. The situation now is: they have almost unlimited resources, and their games are arguably more profitable to them in the long run if they release them for free, even if they design them and plan them and scale them as if they were major $70 releases.

We'll see how Titanfall fares. Destiny isn't even coming out on PC (I wonder why).

As an analogy, imagine if Nintendo made the Wii U free, and gave their next Mario and Zelda games to everyone, and took 30% off the revenue of every other publisher selling games on the platform. Do you think anyone would still try to make a platformer or dungeon-based adventure game?

I'd be very surprised if this were the case.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I was referring to CS when they were dethroned in the fps genre

By what metric? On the PC side, at least, Valve's evergreen titles reign supreme while CoD fights for the scraps. Right now all three mainline CS titles are in the Top 10 versus CoD's zero.

Echoplx

Some spare Humble Bundle Steam keys

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Crysis 2 -- MB-4662A88727983691 - Taken by kadab. 1 entrants total.
Mirror's Edge -- MB-56D0E2086BF22369 - Taken by Mengy. 1 entrants total.
Metro 2033, Risen, Sacred Citadel -- MB-A36306154FF43EB6 - Taken by The_Monk. 3 entrants total.
Dead Space -- MB-183FCA8698FC6C52 - Taken by Spawn. 1 entrants total.
Risen 2, Sacred 2, Saints Row 2, Saints Row 3 -- MB-51E3199EB0F9B462 - Taken by Li Kao. 5 entrants total.

t1380892326z1.png

Kacho

Question for you fine folks:

How likely is it that Valve would port games to Steam OS for free or for a minimal fee. I know they're saying it's an easy task, but for the developers who wouldn't bother, do you think Valve has a dedicated team that would handle the port job? This might be a silly question but I've just been wondering.

The_Monk

I'm starting to miss a Steam Sale, I want those crazy hype levels and those Steam Server load capacities going offline if only for the fun times.

EDIT: Thanks for Risen and Secret Citadel 3chopl0x!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get the first sentence.

When have they been dethrowned in the competitive FPS genre since TF2 went F2P? I'm not saying no competitive multiplayer game can exist because of TF2 and Dota 2 (neither is TB, for that matter). The point is that, if they want, at any point in time, Valve has the power to grasp control of an entire genre, and the only way to survive them is to have a franchise that's already well-established (ie CoD, Battlefield, or LoL). Payday was successful because it's completely unrelated to TF2, that's not even competition - same for Terraria and Dungeon Defenders, although claiming that those are successful in the face of freaking TF2 is stretching it imo. Multiplayer games can exist, but if you're planning on making, say, a multiplayer racer, and Valve releases out of nowhere a F2P thing that's as good as their other game - because that's what they're able to do since they're the only people in the world, along with Blizzard I guess, who are constantly showered with free money, they're the only ones who are able to finance a game of such high quality, with no overly parasitic microtransactions system, and release it for free - if they do that in the genre that you're trying to invest in, you're screwed. They instantly kill competition in that particular space.
Then you gotta release a game that's even better than Valve's. I don't know man, I fail to understand how competition could be bad.

If anything, it'll force devs to release games that they know are good. And that's a great thing in my book.

It doesn't matter when they adopted F2P. The situation now is: they have almost unlimited resources, and their games are arguably more profitable to them in the long run if they release them for free, even if they design them and plan them and scale them as if they were major $70 releases.

We'll see how Titanfall fares. Destiny isn't even coming out on PC (I wonder why).

As an analogy, imagine if Nintendo made the Wii U free, and gave their next Mario and Zelda games to everyone, and took 30% off the revenue of every other publisher selling games on the platform. Do you think anyone would still try to make a platformer or dungeon-based adventure game?
Your analogy is rendered invalid at the very moment when you realize Wii U is hardware, while Steam is a service/distribution system. You can't compare both scenarios just like that.

MRORANGE

By what metric? On the PC side, at least, Valve's evergreen titles reign supreme while CoD fights for the scraps. Right now all three mainline CS titles are in the Top 10 versus CoD's zero.

I was speaking in overall context (console) but there is a decline in CS players (more likely due to the move to CS:GO)

CS:

chart

CS:S

chart

CS:GO

chart

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I was speaking in overall context (console) but there is a decline in CS players (more likely due to the move to CS:GO)

CS:

chart

CS:S

chart

CS:GO

chart

Oh, in the context of consoles, it's no secret that CoD reigns supreme. It's practically the inverse of the situation on the PC.

MRORANGE

Oh, in the context of consoles, it's no secret that CoD reigns supreme. It's practically the inverse of the situation on the PC.

Yeah I just wish the PC platform had an open standard of tracking player data for games, relying on Steam and Xfire really don't cut it.

Looking at the latest player stats, Valve has about 40-50%? share on their own platform.

chart

Enclave have been released. The Enclave Gold 2012 Edition (whatever that means) was in the Groupees Bemine 6-bundle, so they might add Steam keys. After all, they did add keys to Septerra Core, so I guess it's a possibility.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Don't blame the leader. Blame the sheep that allowed him to have so much power, and will follow him unconditionally.

Regardless of where the authority comes from, it's usually the leader that gets deposed and not the people.

Twinduct

Don't blame the leader. Blame the sheep that allowed him to have so much power, and will follow him unconditionally.

Well he use to be .. humble? Like he had his opinions but would also allow for an objective view to stuff. But since the whole Darkness 2 thing he's been throwing objectivity out of a window.

Also he's constant muttering of 'yeah' is also new to me.

Acccent

Unlimited resources, even if it was true doesn't equate to games people want to play. If anything it generally makes things worse.

We're talking about Valve. Valve makes a game = people want to play it. Causality works both ways.

And after you have finished the new mario in like 4 hours then what? You'll probably want to be playing something else.
If something is doing well in a specific genre it's going to copied.
When that happens it's because you have the potential to either make a better game (hard), sell it at a lower price (kinda hard) or invest less while still expecting some copies to sell (easier).

Valve makes games that are almost untoppable and sells them for free, and then constantly adds content that they offer for free as well.

Then you gotta release a game that's even better than Valve's. I don't know man, I fail to understand how competition could be bad.

If anything, it'll force devs to release games that they know are good. And that's a great thing in my book.

haha! yeah! Everyone will suddenly make perfect games and then they will all sell millions.

here's what I'm saying.

Valve makes the best games.
They have an incredibly loyal fanbase.
Not only do they have the ability to release those games and additional content for free, but doing so is actually arguably more profitable to them.

It's all good for customers who just want Valve games, but for the rest of the industry, Valve is a force that can't be rivalled with and if they decide to release something in the field where you were previously having some 'normal' competition with other publishers, on PC, Valve can simply crush you all into dust. Competition is healthy, but this isn't competition, it's murder.

Now add to this the fact that most of the money they make, they make by taking a precentage off your profit on Steam, which is so ingrained into PC gaming culture that not releasing games on it not only costs you like 98% of the userbase, but will also trigger fanboyish 'pirate boycott' behaviors.

See what I mean?

Regardless, I think we can all agree that TotalBiscut has too much power.

Yeah, basically that.

He can turn a mob of uninformed people for or against nearly any game he wants.

Well if it makes you feel any better, I am not one of them as I have never seen one of his [?] videos and have no desire to. I can't say I grok YouTube personalities frankly but then there is so much of contemporary popular/young'un culture that I don't relate to so that's hardly a surprise.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Volgarr is fantastic. Many many games claim to be 'old school' and think that having pixel art is enough, Volgarr is the only one who actually gets it right from a gameplay and level design perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom