• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
You can only access it if you're online prior.
This may be true for some people, but isn't/wasn't true for everyone, unless you mean for people who have NEVER been online before.

For some people (me as far as I know) it works fine, though you might have to unplug the network cable or disable the network adapter.

Of course I don't know the situation since offline was apparently broken recently.

Caerith

great... I can just imagine the messages that will pop up every time:

Dear Sir

I saw you playing well in TF2, I also noticed you had a hat that I wanted, I can offer some reclaimed metal for it, I would offer something else but my family is poor and will not give me any money to buy it.

PS: I also noticed you had a bunch of games in your inventory that you was not using, can I have them as well?

best regards

Spammer
Dear Sir,

Whilst engaging you in a round of TF2 recently, you backstabbed my sniper on no less than three occasions. Enclosed please find a photograph of my testicles and a list of all epithets I have learned in the fourteen years since my birth.

Best regards,
Raging Gamer

JustinBB7

great... I can just imagine the messages that will pop up every time:

Dear Sir

I saw you playing well in TF2, I also noticed you had a hat that I wanted, I can offer some reclaimed metal for it, I would offer something else but my family is poor and will not give me any money to buy it.

PS: I also noticed you had a bunch of games in your inventory that you was not using, can I have them as well?

best regards

Spammer

Friends only setting!

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I played Avernum: Escape from the Pit this past week on vacation in offline mode since I was in the boonies at camp and I had no issues. However, I made sure I never closed Steam and instead just closed my laptop when i was finished.

Achievements don't work in offline mode though, which stinks. It's sort of weird, but I don't really care much.

Remfin

This may be true for some people, but isn't/wasn't true for everyone, unless you mean for people who have NEVER been online before.

For some people (me as far as I know) it works fine, though you might have to unplug the network cable or disable the network adapter.

Of course I don't know the situation since offline was apparently broken recently.
I have a feeling it mostly comes down to crummy/lying hardware/drivers or other software that can confuse things (like Hamachi maybe) and not so much Steam itself--except that Steam relies on that info to be correct in the first place. My hardware all reports its status properly to Windows, and I've never had any issue using Offline mode when I'm actually Offline i.e. when the connectivity icon says I have no Internet access.

Either that or my account has the Magically Just Works™ flag set or the eight(?) computers I've tried Offline mode on successfully were just dumb luck...

svegis

Wondering this is well. The store page mentions Super Meat Boy and that kind of scares me off as I am not very good at platformers.

For those that are curious by it(I've been for a good while), you can try out the creator Kyle Pulvers' other games on http://kpulv.com/stuff/game/. decipt1 and Bonesaw I'd recommend personally, if the demo wasn't enough to sway you, something other of his creations might.
It seems sort of like Super Meat Boy where it's sort of cruel but very giving when you get it right. Mileage may vary, and all that.

Weenerz

Banned
Best Steam chat quote by Steelattack;

6:54 PM - Steel: i just connected all my living room shit to the surge protector, freaked out when i turned it on and it didn't work, it turned out i had plugged the surge protector to...the surge protector

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Normally I wouldn't pay full price for a game when we're so close to the sale, but I had nothing going on today so I decided to check out The Walking Dead game. It's pretty damn good, and huge step forward from the Jurassic Park game. It's more interactive, choices are far more meaningful, and I'm totally sucked into the story. It's nothing groundbreaking for the zombie genre, but there have been some really fuckin' tense scenes and Lee is a great lead character. My only complaint so far is that the cursor is transparent when it's not over an object, so it can be hard to aim in on specific things on screen. This is particularly frustrating when you have limited time to to aim towards and click something.

I highly recommend checking it out, sale or otherwise.

Sober

Normally I wouldn't pay full price for a game when we're so close to the sale, but I had nothing going on today so I decided to check out The Walking Dead game. It's pretty damn good, and huge step forward from the Jurassic Park game. It's more interactive, choices are far more meaningful, and I'm totally sucked into the story. It's nothing groundbreaking for the zombie genre, but there have been some really fuckin' tense scenes and Lee is a great lead character. My only complaint so far is that the cursor is transparent when it's not over an object, so it can be hard to aim in on specific things on screen. This is particularly frustrating when you have limited time to to aim towards and click something.

Also the dialogue/choice-consequence systems are kinda like Alpha Protocol! Did you not notice that Snuggler?

(also I doubt any Telltale seasons that are ongoing would be on sale anyway).

vazel

Banned
Dear Sir,

Whilst engaging you in a round of TF2 recently, you backstabbed my sniper on no less than three occasions. Enclosed please find a photograph of my testicles and a list of all epithets I have learned in the fourteen years since my birth.

Best regards,
Raging Gamer
Oh gawd no. It's annoying enough already. In L4D2 some people will invite you to mock groups like 'why u so mad?' or 'raeg babies'. Valve should really let you disable getting group invites. I think it's the only form of communication you can't block and so people will send you messages in the group title.

Oh gawd no. It's annoying enough already. In L4D2 some people will invite you to mock groups like 'why u so mad?' or 'raeg babies'. Valve should really let you disable getting group invites. I think it's the only form of communication you can't block and so people will send you messages in the group title.
That's never happened to me before. There are lots of pretty girls that invite me to their groups though and I like the attention.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Also the dialogue/choice-consequence systems are kinda like Alpha Protocol! Did you not notice that Snuggler?

(also I doubt any Telltale seasons that are ongoing would be on sale anyway).

Yep. Some of the choices are tough, and when you have a very limited time to make them it definitely keeps you on your toes.

BTW, just finished episode one and our very own Gerry Witta was mentioned in the credits. Nice!

Remfin

So I redeemed my Robot Chicken hat, and Steam told me I had registered "Steam." Not thinking, I clicked next just to see what would happen...

I11AR.jpg

Yeah, buddy!
Sadly, it looks like its everything that is free; demos, trailers, etc. No magical Steam unlock for me :(

So I redeemed my Robot Chicken hat, and Steam told me I had registered "Steam." Not thinking, I clicked next just to see what would happen...

I11AR.jpg

Yeah, buddy!
Sadly, it looks like its everything that is free; demos, trailers, etc. No magical Steam unlock for me :(
You need to stock up on some harddrives, you've got no space left for the Summer Sale!

gdt

Episode 2 is even better. Masterful setup and release.

Megasoum

Banned
I got the first episode for free on PS3 thanks to Mr. Gary Whitta and I already have 20$ in my PS3 wallet so I could buy the next 3 episodes "for free" but I'm not sure if I want to buy episode 2-5 on PS3 or simply buy the whole thing on PC.

Did Gearbox ever address the lack of settings in the PC port of Borderland? Went searching for Borderlands Advanced Settings and Borderlands Config Editor and both download links on the Steam and Gearbox forums were respectively broken and removed because the tool somehow broke a TOS. Luckily I had both in my Downloads folder still so I was able just to re-install and use the Advanced Settings Tool.

Edit: The settings in-game seem to be a bit more more comprehensive than I remember them being but they're not quite as good as the user made tool.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Re: my problem with the cursor in Walking Dead, it turns out that a glitch caused everything in the UI aside from button prompts to be completely invisible. I had to restore some files to fix it. I was wondering why the interface was so shitty, lol.

I agree, very well done and I just played the demo. I'm waiting for the whole season to finish and for $25 it's a good deal.

louiedog

I got the first episode for free on PS3 thanks to Mr. Gary Whitta and I already have 20$ in my PS3 wallet so I could buy the next 3 episodes "for free" but I'm not sure if I want to buy episode 2-5 on PS3 or simply buy the whole thing on PC.

Are you sure it wasn't the full season? I don't think I saw any single episode PS3 codes going around for it, but I did see people give out a bunch of full season codes. Double check the in-game menu and see if you can download episode 2.

Megasoum

Banned
Are you sure it wasn't the full season? I don't think I saw any single episode PS3 codes going around for it, but I did see people give out a bunch of full season codes. Double check the in-game menu and see if you can download episode 2.

I'll recheck but I'm pretty sure that I only got episode 1.

Edit: Nope, I really only have episode 1.I have the option to buy episode 2 or the season pass.

louiedog

I'll recheck but I'm pretty sure that I only got episode 1.

Edit: Nope, I really only have episode 1.I have the option to buy episode 2 or the season pass.

Sorry about that. I guess I just didn't notice any of the single episode codes. The one that I got was for the full season.

Jobacca

Neo Member

I got invited to a group called "u rage/mad cuz u bad" :(

Has anyone been keeping up with what games have been getting updates in the last couple weeks in possible prepartion for Summer sale axhieveents? Id lie to hphet an idea of how many of those games I own.

Stoof

Hello GAF! Just got approved and have been lurking this thread for a bit. Thanks to you guys I've kept up with good deals and recommendations. Just built my first gaming PC on Thursday so I won't be limited by my Macbook anymore. Just in time to join in on the craziness that is this fabled summer sale!

Smash88

Banned
Hello GAF! Just got approved and have been lurking this thread for a bit. Thanks to you guys I've kept up with good deals and recommendations. Just built my first gaming PC on Thursday so I won't be limited by my Macbook anymore. Just in time to join in on the craziness that is this fabled summer sale!

Welcome.

And wait for the daily deals before purchasing a game you really want.

If it doesn't show up, buy it on the last day.

Good luck, and God speed.

HenryHSH

This site reliable?

Yes. A friend of mine jumped on an earlier sale where they gave out 6 Renegade Ops keys for real cheap and gave me one. It was posted on GAF.

Problem is, I'm not sure Witcher 2 is steam redeemable...

Edit: it's not... "This game is DRM-free dispensing with any form of activation or installation key."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom