• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2014 - Insert witty title here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knurek

Picked up the first CoH and Opposing Fronts (series sale on GameFly). My first "real" RTS games. I guess Infested Planet is also RTS but not on this scale. The demo was great

The problem with starting your RTS games with CoH is that you can only go down from there. :\

nampad

No -- it's under bonus or some weird spot in the main menu.
It's pretty easy to hit 10 of the closest targets once you get the timing down.

Done, thank you. That minigame was also pretty shitty, not to mention the UI.

The Ball and Pressure are next. Actually interested in playing the Ball.

Done, thank you. That minigame was also pretty shitty, not to mention the UI.

The Ball and Pressure are next. Actually interested in playing the Ball.

didamangi was right, I got war is on in a 15 minute game... it's actually kind of interesting when you don't have to deal with the tutorial. :lol

I finished pressure... for that one, I'll give you the couple tips I learned:
(1) do the "no main weapon" on the second race -- sell everything you can and then buy a good ram/body and just mash boost through the whole stage.
(2) for the airship, you should be able to play naturally and get it midway through the first set of stages.
(3) for the ultrakill, save up and buy the nuke. then let a bunch of smaller enemies crowd you in the later stages of the first section and boom.

Not sure how much I'll do in The Ball -- I did the first area, but finding all secrets seems time consuming and tedious (youd' have to finish the whole game and use a guide most likely).

wow you guys weren't kidding about ass creed 3 beginning

You play as Haytham, Connor as a kid, Connor as a teenager, Connor as an assassin in training, Connor as a boat captain in training and then finally you start Assassin's Creed 3. It felt like 7-9 hours of tutorials, at which point I got bored and simply stopped playing.

That's usually as far as I get in every Ubisoft openworld game, about 9 hours in. Assassin's Creed, Assassin's Creed 2, Assassin's Creed 3, Far Cry 3 and probably Watch_Dawgz. I think the last openworld game I really enjoyed playing was Prototype 2 but that was because you were early-Superman, The Flash and some sort of Japanese tentacle nightmare all wrapped up in one ridiculous (and kind of unlikable) character.

The_Monk

Just finished the Episode 3 of The Wolf Among Us. To me, it felt short as always but it was better than the second one. Really like the colour scheme they use and the Intro theme always feels nice. It seems that there was one character that I like did not appeared again but it seems it will on the next Episode. It was good to finally play something after a long week.

I'm missing two Book of Fables entries but I have no idea where to grab them, anyone want to help me out just for completion sake? Thanks in advance, link below to keep spoiler free even if it's just the Book of Entries Page from the game.

http://imgur.com/YyW1vjN

Khronico

More_Badass, I highly recommend getting these games if you want more RTS goodness:

Age of Empires 2 & 3
Dawn of War 1 + expansions
Dawn of War 2 + expansions
Supreme Commander
Command and Conquer 3
Men of War series
AI War
Defcon

Dr Dogg

How would I tell if I need to use Durante's RGB tool for my Nvidia card?

http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=83

I know this has been answered (via my half asleep garbled post last night) but if a job's worth doing, it's worth doing right.

Bottom line is that if you are using a monitor via VGA or DVI you're golden. full and limited range toggle over HDMI for Nvidia cards is what Durante fixes so if that's an element of your set up then this is relevant. Mainly what I was saying last night was regards to TV's and projectors due to the vast majority of them only supporting the limited RGB colour space (I could bang on about bandwidth, YUV and lots of other factors but that's waaay too much detail to go into).

Anyway to take the margin for error out of the equation here's a test pattern I just knocked up.
NlNOE4h.png

I'll keep this brief. Adjust your setting on you computer (or even console) to full range and display the image on the screen you want to test. A display that supports full range will show 6 boxes all numbered 1-6 with the corresponding RGB value in the bottom right. If you can't see any of the top row then your display doesn't support full range.

If you see middle and last of the top row but not the first then possibly either your brightness or gamma is not set up quite right. Brightness is a doddle to adjust and should be the first stop (using a test card or calibration program for best results). Gamma is quite easy to calibrate, windows has various tools as do the gpu control centres. QuickGamma is also a good utility.

nampad

didamangi was right, I got war is on in a 15 minute game... it's actually kind of interesting when you don't have to deal with the tutorial. :lol

I finished pressure... for that one, I'll give you the couple tips I learned:
(1) do the "no main weapon" on the second race -- sell everything you can and then buy a good ram/body and just mash boost through the whole stage.
(2) for the airship, you should be able to play naturally and get it midway through the first set of stages.
(3) for the ultrakill, save up and buy the nuke. then let a bunch of smaller enemies crowd you in the later stages of the first section and boom.

Not sure how much I'll do in The Ball -- I did the first area, but finding all secrets seems time consuming and tedious (youd' have to finish the whole game and use a guide most likely).

Already uninstalled it again :)
Just using Playfire to find interesting games from my backlog to play. Never was an achievement hunter but the rewards add some motivation. Not going to waste my time on unenjoyable stuff. Thanks for the tips though.

But I have to say Goat Simulator+Playfire rewards+Steam Trading Cards was a pretty nice deal.

fantomena

Come on man what if it ends up being a game someone already owns?

What are those?

Sorry. Too lazy to modbot.

Just finished the Episode 3 of The Wolf Among Us. To me, it felt short as always but it was better than the second one. Really like the colour scheme they use and the Intro theme always feels nice. It seems that there was one character that I like did not appeared again but it seems it will on the next Episode. It was good to finally play something after a long week.

I'm missing two Book of Fables entries but I have no idea where to grab them, anyone want to help me out just for completion sake? Thanks in advance, link below to keep spoiler free even if it's just the Book of Entries Page from the game.

http://imgur.com/YyW1vjN

Try one of these guides: http://segmentnext.com/2014/04/10/the-wolf-among-us-episode-3-books-of-fables-locations-guide/

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/20...-episode-3-book-of-fables-locations-guide.htm

donny2112

1password (password storage system; See Stumpokapow's post here) is half off for $25 currently. Think it was full price when I checked earlier this week, so they may be having a sale for those looking for such a solution with the Heartbleed stuff. Just a heads up if anyone was thinking of going that way!

ShogunX

Had this for a while. Not 100% sure I haven't already given it away but....Have at it!!!

Might have another copy of Oniken to give away shortly as well. Just need to find the key.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Interstellar Marines -- MB-3738FE715C0EBA04 - Taken by Mugatu. 3 entrants total.

t1397255593z1.png

Mugatu

1password (password storage system; See Stumpokapow's post here) is half off for $25 currently. Think it was full price when I checked earlier this week, so they may be having a sale for those looking for such a solution with the Heartbleed stuff. Just a heads up if anyone was thinking of going that way!

I use Keepass, which works for Windows (KeePass: http://keepass.info/download.html ) and Linux (KeePassX: http://www.keepassx.org/ ).

Have you guys had problems with these before? Are they trustworthy?

Not to derail the thread but I've never used a password manager and was wondering if it's even possible across PC/Mac/Android/iPad and things like that.

Wok

Have you guys had problems with these before? Are they trustworthy?

Not to derail the thread but I've never used a password manager and was wondering if it's even possible across PC/Mac/Android/iPad and things like that.

Yes, both have cross-platform ports. I would suggest such a tool, because it makes the process of inputing passwords much easier. Just try it with your new passwords.

zkylon

zkylewd
You play as Haytham, Connor as a kid, Connor as a teenager, Connor as an assassin in training, Connor as a boat captain in training and then finally you start Assassin's Creed 3. It felt like 7-9 hours of tutorials, at which point I got bored and simply stopped playing.

That's usually as far as I get in every Ubisoft openworld game, about 9 hours in. Assassin's Creed, Assassin's Creed 2, Assassin's Creed 3, Far Cry 3 and probably Watch_Dawgz. I think the last openworld game I really enjoyed playing was Prototype 2 but that was because you were early-Superman, The Flash and some sort of Japanese tentacle nightmare all wrapped up in one ridiculous (and kind of unlikable) character.

sugarcoat it a bit dude

pls

Mugatu

Yes, both have cross-platform ports. I would suggest such a tool, because it makes the process of inputing passwords much easier. Just try it with your new passwords.

Thank you!

After this last scare I'm just not sure I could come up with 10 good passwords that I could remember, more like I'm too lazy to do so now so I'm ready to let technology help me.

ArjanN

This one was helpful, I might need to replay most of the Episode but it might be worth since it's a short one. Thank you for providing this link!

For future reference: there's usually a Steam community guide in about a day.

If you go to the chapter select you can also rewind to specific checkpoints in the episode (and it even asks you what savegame you want to do this on) so you can get the missing entries in like 5 minutes.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
sugarcoat it a bit dude

pls

There's a few side missions that are kinda cool, two of which I really liked because they were more atmospheric and didn't involve any assassinating.
Most are fucking terrible though, especially the useless underground portions of the cities. Don't even bother exploring the majority of them outside of maybe getting a few quick travel points.

didamangi

For the ball just skip finding all secrets, except if you enjoy the game.

The achievements for killing monkeys is easy and fast enough, just pick the portal level from the challenge mode on the main menu and on level 3 you can kill all the monkeys you need by standing over the two buttons there.

Two CTDs when starting missions but it worked the second time. 8.1.1 here (which btw supposedly has fixed the mouse-lag problem for good).

Try verifying integrity of the game cache.

Thanks, verifying the cache fixed the issue even though it didn't seem to redownload anything.

The_Monk

For future reference: there's usually a Steam community guide in about a day.

If you go to the chapter select you can also rewind to specific checkpoints in the episode (and it even asks you what savegame you want to do this on) so you can get the missing entries in like 5 minutes.

Thank you. I usually don't go much to the Steam Community, but I forget I went there to check on Episode 2. I'm lacking proper rest. ;)

By the way, if I rewind, will it overwrite the current Episode save file?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom