• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.
...but there's no confirmation is there? I shall gladly join you in bombarding Capcpom for a Steam release.

From the official page:

ZnInj1Z.png

http://www.capcom.co.jp/biohd/en/index.html

Sendou

I think the REmake HD looks decent to good. It's a low effort for sure but I don't think the end result is too bothering.

I think the REmake HD looks decent to good. It's a low effort for sure but I don't think the end result is too bothering.
The one shot I think looks off is the one of Chris on the upper floor of the main hall. Everything else looks way better than I thought a filter would. (BTW, 16:9 mode is only gonna make the BGs look worse, so don't do it.)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Yeah, a full-blown HD remake wasn't going to happen, but the game doesn't look too bad considering its 12-year-old roots.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
How can I go in there and say I think it looks fine at this point? I'm gonna get laughed at. Shit like that makes it tough sometimes.

My stance is it's REmake coming to consoles and PC. There's things that for better or wore will be harder/unlikely to change as REmake was made for Gamecube specifically. The original backgrounds were emitted at 30fps, of course they're pre-rendered, and the like. We still have much to see and I assume there's a reason the release on PC and current gen platforms is several months away. It looks crisper than the original game and they've done some more improvements than I was expecting.

I think peole expected them to remake the game from the ground-up, though that wasn't going to happen and something I wouldn't want to happen anyways as that may change some core things at the heart of the game.

I'm very excited though~

My stance is it's REmake coming to consoles and PC. There's things that for better or wore will be harder/unlikely to change as REmake was made for Gamecube specifically. The original backgrounds were emitted at 30fps, of course they're pre-rendered, and the like. We still have much to see and I assume there's a reason the release on PC and current gen platforms is several months away. It looks crisper than the original game and they've done some more improvements than I was expecting.

I think peole expected them to remake the game from the ground-up, though that wasn't going to happen and something I wouldn't want to happen anyways as that may change some core things at the heart of the game.

U;n very excited though~
I feel the same way. And honestly it looks way better than I figured "the lazy way" of uprezzing the game would look. And it's REmake. I'll be there day one.

I was really wondering if and how they'd bring the pre-rendered background to 1080p. Somehow I wasn't expecting them to just blow them up to 1080p and call it a day, even though it's Capcom. That is disappointing.

Sendou

Tizoc

U;n very excited though~

Hmm if next gen and PC versions are 60 FPS, then that'd be a neat move from Capcpom.

Looks good to me. Then again I didn't play REmake back in day so maybe the people who did had different expectations when they had previously imagined how the title looks in HD?

By the way looks like all console versions will be 30FPS. I hope the PC version won't require extra care to go above that.
The backgrounds are/were 30fps, so I dunno how that'd work in 60.

JaseC

Hmm if next gen and PC versions are 60 FPS, then that'd be a neat move from Capcpom.

PS4 and X1 versions are 30fps. I imagine the PC version will also be limited to 30fps, but there's the possibility the cap can be increased/removed.

header_292x136.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/271670/

I've had my eye on this game for a while, so I picked it up as part of the current steam weekly deals. After the disappointment of Growing Pains, I was a bit wary of "indie platformer with a twist #342" but I still had high hopes.

Luckily 10 Second Ninja is actually quite good. The hook here is you only have ten seconds to complete each level (kill all the enemies). This is generally pretty easy and you will have little trouble getting it done in that time. However to earn stars (and ultimately to complete each themed world) you will need to beat the strict time limits imposed on you.

And when I say strict, I mean strict. A perfect run might still leave you 0.2 seconds away from that next star you need. So you are left thinking, do I need to execute better or do I need a different approach completely? It is here that the game shows its class, because levels can be approached in different ways and it is often quite rewarding to try something else that shaves another second off your time.

All of this would be meaningless if the controls were not perfect, but they are very solid and feel responsive enough for the game type. Graphics? Sound? Presentation? The game loads and everything is clear. It gets the job done and that is about it.

It isn't a game you'll play for huge stretches, like say, a Super House of Dead Ninjas because there isn't a huge amount of content here (and you pretty much have to do well at it to progress). But you will still get more than 10 seconds worth out of the low asking price.

I'd say it is well... I'd say it is wel... I'd say it is well worth a lo... Check it out.

Tizoc

PS4 and X1 versions are 30fps. I imagine the PC version will also be limited to 30fps, but there's the possibility the cap can be increased/removed.

Eh I'm still getting it though, and thanks for the info on RE6, I seem to keep forgetting that...

It does look better than playing it through Dolphin, but at the same time it doesn't, because the filter they used on the pre-rendered backgrounds makes it sort of look like a painting. I'm really not sure what to think of it.
Some shots come out looking better than others with the filter, yeah. I think I spotted some film grain in a couple of the shots, so that might alleviate the issue a little.

Dr Dogg

Considering the fact the game uses prerendered backdrops for practically every scene and these are at 4:3 aspect ratio then converting them all to 16:9 in it's self isn't exactly a walk in the park. I wonder if they are being cropped or stretched instead of refitted? Didn't the Wii version stretch the image for it's 16:9 support but kept the 3D models and UI intact?

Alo81 did some texture dumps with Dolphin and the resolution of them is less than 480x680 (I think in the 512 width region) so be interesting to see how the look first hand when upscalled.

Some shots come out looking better than others with the filter, yeah. I think I spotted some film grain in a couple of the shots, so that might alleviate the issue a little.

And others look really terrible.

It makes it look like they applied one of these scaling filters used in emulation. Really, really weird. I never understood why these companies don't archive the source data.

JaseC

Jesus Christ we really are getting 3 Assassins creed games this year ._.

Ideally!

It makes it look like they applied one of these scaling filters used in emulation. Really, really weird. I never understood why these companies don't archive the source data.

I imagine the pre-rendered assets were made with the GameCube in mind. The game will be 12-13 years old by the time it releases on other platforms, after all.

Considering the fact the game uses prerendered backdrops for practically every scene and these are at 4:3 aspect ration then converting them all to 16:9 in it's self isn't exactly a walk in the park. I wonder if they are being cropped or stretched instead of refitted? Didn't the Wii version stretch the image for it's 16:9 support but kept the 3D models and UI intact?

Alo81 did some texture dumps with Dolphin and the resolution of them is less than 480x680 (I think in the 512 width region) so be interesting to see how the look first hand when upscalled.

Here's how they're doing it.

q8wgZTy.jpg

Vlad

Mark of the Ninja is a pretty great game. Loved every minute of it, really.

Absolutely agree with this. I usually hate stealth games but MotN is just done so damn well. It really nails the whole "ninja" feel.

It always saddens me to see it go unclaimed in giveaways.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Jesus Christ we really are getting 3 Assassins creed games this year ._.

I think Rogue is the new name for Comet, so we're getting 2. I'm ok with this since it's coming to Steam as well, I'd prefer a new AC game over a watered down Unity port. Hope Ubisoft doesn't go too crazy with the price

JaseC

I think Rogue is the new name for Comet, so we're getting 2. I'm ok with this since it's coming to Steam as well, I'd prefer a new AC game over a watered down Unity port. Hope Ubisoft doesn't go too crazy with the price

LibHD released back in January; Unity and Rogue make 3 all up. Also, the jury's still out on the game coming to the PC -- the trailer only mentions the X360 and the page that put up the screenshots is fan-run.

AHA-Lambda

Unity
Comet/Rogue
Liberation HD

Also Far cry 4 and watch dogs.

Ubi has gone beyond annualisation, ridiculous. Although JaseC will be happy :p

Dr Dogg

Wait, if Rogue and Unity are both out in November... Aw lawd...

Well I'm seeing piratey themed preorder bonuses for Rogue (should have named it Rouge to have a semi Parisian tie in) so I'm already all ears for more info.

What happened to NPH? I liked NPH. Bring back NPH!

Hahaha I was getting a bit tired of the same old avatar and there is quite a bit of scope for doctors that share my forename both in fiction and in real life so you could call this my avatar 'thing'. We'll see how this goes.

I have two.

#dualballin

Wouldn't that be a Wii W?

This is the kind of news that would make games conferences an actual 'big thing' to me. PC getting what PC enthusiasts have been asking for. :)

In other news do we have a resident 'non for profit' russian bear around these parts. I seem to recall keldorn being a cool dude who wouldn't even accept a tip but can't recall if he's 'out of region'

Managed to play about 3 hours of Metro Last Light until the "am I just doing the same thing over and over for another 15 hours?" feeling kicked in.

So am I just doing the same thing over and over for another 15 hours, or does it "get good?"

Knurek

And in another, more sane universe, Konami has just released Steam versions of HD Remakes of Silent Hill 1-4 and their stock has taken a huge increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom