• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wok

A bit's changed, mainly a lot of improvements to the client's overall performance. The biggest change, in my opinion, is being able to hide games in your library. They're still visible under your account, but not in the library, so that's nice. There's also the ability to assign a game to more than one category at a time now as well.

There are more details about the recent changes here if you have time to read them.

Holy Baikal! This is huge!

Add "Hide this game in my library" functionality, accessible from the Set Categories menu. Games that are hidden will not show up in library filters except for a new filter called "Hidden", which will only appear once at least one game is marked as hidden. Hidden games are still available for play and will still appear on the user's profile.

Hate to derail, but why do pricing errors happen? How did something "accidentally" become 99% off? I ask because a friend is a database programmer and she's trying to figure it out.

Lomax

Hate to derail, but why do pricing errors happen? How did something "accidentally" become 99% off? I ask because a friend is a database programmer and she's trying to figure it out.

No one really knows how they happen, but some are obviously the discount applied twice (75% * 75% = 91%).

Valiant Hearts wasn't a double stack discount, it was set at the wrong price in that region. Looking at the numbers of this Tropico price, it doesn't look like a double stack discount either, and it seemed to last exactly one hour, so I almost wonder if it was on purpose.

It made it all the way up to #2, they probably made more money at 39 cents than they would have at $6.

Not to mention people also buying multiple copies as well.

$0.39 * maybe 10,000 units.

Perhaps even more than 10,000.

Kiru

Came back from watching a movie (The Man with the Iron Fists. HORRIBLE). I hesitated to buy the Tropico Collectors Bundle. Have the base game and never played it. Should I feel bad for missing out ?

yuraya

Its probably just a clerical error. Its rare but it happens every once in a while. No human being is perfect :p

Kiru

I was at 662 games according to my profile, bought Tropico 4 and now I'm at 660. What gives?

Simple Explanation: You had an increased game count due to F2P games and Valve recently fixed that issue though, but the counter was frozen until you redeem your next game. (Happen to me after redeeming my last game, went from 690 to 530)

The_Monk

Hi, Monk! It's been a while. How are you doing?

Indeed my good man! Feel free to PM if you want to chat or so I can give you the latest without going Off Topic in the thread. Don't forget! :)

A bit's changed, mainly a lot of improvements to the client's overall performance. The biggest change, in my opinion, is being able to hide games in your library. They're still visible under your account, but not in the library, so that's nice. There's also the ability to assign a game to more than one category at a time now as well.

There are more details about the recent changes here if you have time to read them.

Thanks a lot for this, seems I have (even) more to catch up. Liking this new Steam look either way. ;)

Also, can anyone please tell me the Status of Beta Access regarding some games? If I uninstall them can I install these later on? Also, will they be gone after the game is officially released? I'm talking about the following games on my list:

- Calibre 10 Racing Series
- Chess the Gathering
- Defense Grid 2

Regarding the above if there is any answer please let me know. It may be a silly question but I was just wondering since there's not even a Steam page for a game like Chess the Gathering.

Lomax

I stand by my loony reasonings that's it's a clever trick to increase demand and in this case my get folks who weren't even considering Tropico 5 to take a look because they got 4 so cheap. Here's what I posted a while back about Bioshock Infinite Season Pass' frequent pricing "error".

This one seems more suspicious than most, since it was 99% and it seemed to last exactly an hour. Maybe they considered giving it away for free like we've been seeing recently and Valve suggested something more experimental.

Vuze

Simple Explanation: You had an increased game count due to F2P games and Valve recently fixed that issue though, but the counter was frozen until you redeem your next game. (Happen to me after redeeming my last game, went from 690 to 530)

Ah, that explains it. Went from 400ish to 310. Guess I used that script for nothing :D

Calypso is making mad bank off Tropico 4 now as Steam top seller list is based on unitsSold*price to get the ranking.
BLjYXV3.png

Well yeah, they probably just front loaded most of the profit that the game might have made over the rest of its life in that short period of time. They likely won't make much more money off it in the future, especially if a sizeable portion of those sales will be then passed on to grey market traders.

maty

OK, thanks. Well, 6 games away from the number of the beast :p

Deitus

I stand by my loony reasonings that's it's a clever trick to increase demand and in this case my get folks who weren't even considering Tropico 5 to take a look because they got 4 so cheap. Here's what I posted a while back about Bioshock Infinite Season Pass' frequent pricing "error".

That's pretty much what I was thinking as well.

I can believe that a pricing mistake like this would happen once. But to happen every couple of months doesn't seem like it could possibly be accidental. There are a lot of things that are obtuse about the Steam client, but if you are on a semi-regular basis giving away games for a fraction of their price on accident, you make it a damn priority to fix the bug (or fire the incompetent employee). If they were truly losing money over this, Valve would absolutely be able to stop it from happening again.

But when you consider the importance of momentum on a storefront like Steam, getting their name at the top of the best sellers and flooding people's activity feed are probably great advertisements. Not to mention, if even a fraction of the people who bought it actually play the game and talk to their friends about it, it could be a great word of mouth promotion, and result in the game continuing to sell down the road (plus, the sequel is already out). And considering the amount of revenue they made in that one hour even at rock bottom prices, I don't think anyone loses here.

MUnited83

For you.
Well yeah, they probably just front loaded most of the profit that the game might have made over the rest of its life in that short period of time. They likely won't make much more money off it in the future, especially if a sizeable portion of those sales will be then passed on to grey market traders.

The other way around. going up so high on the top selling will still give them quite some sales at the normal discount price

And grey market traders have yet to be a "sizeable" portion of the sales.

ArjanN

Anyone can guess what game the next Ghostlight game for Steam could be:

Just to remind you all, the game in question is an action title that was originally released on console in Japan, so we’re getting busy with the process of converting the title over to PC for an upcoming release on Steam.

Clearly Yakuza 5. ;)

But really though, I'm not sure. I can't really think of that many Japanese console action games that never got translated, kinda hard to guess without knowing the console it was for as well.

From their previous update:

We’re expecting it to be ready to be announced soon. While it is a Japanese game, it is actually quite different to most of our back catalogue being more of an action game rather than a traditional JRPG.

eek5

Damn I missed the tropico price mistake. What a deal; looks like people are trading CB for 1 key a piece. Keys for 40 cents, not bad. :(

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of General_Frags, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 10 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (General_Frags, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Orcs Must Die! 2: Family Ties -- MB-37EA921DA99483AD - Taken by swx. 1 entrants total.
Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken -- MB-0CECE1E2858E077E - Taken by kurahador. 5 entrants total.
Orcs Must Die! 2: Are We There Yeti? -- MB-153BA8F71BA7F69A - Taken by Vastag. 4 entrants total.
Hamilton's Great Adventure -- MB-136A3C272EBDDE32 - Taken by Benedict. 11 entrants total.
Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken #2 -- MB-2F6B6EA88A283DC4 - Taken by deadflower81. 3 entrants total.
Steel Storm Complete -- MB-B00971E1CDE8EED9 - Taken by ReduxMachine. 1 entrants total.
Gateways -- MB-177EE51CDF0EE690 - Taken by anastef. 1 entrants total.
Steel and Steam Episode 1 -- MB-577EA126B1D332B5 - Taken by NingenJanai. 2 entrants total.
Restaurant Empire II -- MB-1D52BA484668D402 - Taken by darkchewie. 4 entrants total.
Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising -- MB-A6D15CD0C9796F6D - Taken by Casimir. 1 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Orcs Must Die! 2: Family Ties was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Orcs Must Die! 2: Are We There Yeti? was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1408218495z1.png

Dr Dogg

I think that's the first I've seen anyone giving coupons away with modbot.

Well seeing as someone gave away a phone I'm not that surprised. I'm just waiting for the next barmy ModBotting. I do need to get a new freezer soon and don't think the old one will fit in the car and fucked if I'm paying for it to be environmentally disposed of. Hmmmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom