• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

AITD

ooooh .. would you look at that :) my money's on a mobile f2p game ;)

Considering Tycoon wasn't a mobile or a F2P microtransaction mess. I think this might actually be something. Could see it being a downloadable horror title. Pure FPS might mean were getting something like Amnesia. Guys have never developed anything though and don't even have a website.

EDIT: That source description makes it sound like it'll be something similar to Guardian of Light or Temple of Osiris.

Elija2

They fixed it so that cards don't drop for these games any more. You can double check by looking on your Badges page on Steam, which will tell you how many card drops you have left for any particular game.

You can't idle F2P games unless you buy something in-game. I think the ratio is 9 dollars for 1 card... More or less...

f2p games require purchases to get cards. there was a glitch for a while where you could get the cards without making a purchase but that's been sorted out.

Ah, that makes sense. I guess Valve knows better than to give out free money (even though trading cards are already free money). Thanks.

Diedac

Enjoy

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Diedac, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

BETRAYER -- MB-6D091005B81C4330 - Taken by Ruruja
Electronic Super Joy Groove City -- MB-60CCF7221E58F6BA - Taken by Purkake4

Dr Dogg

Super TIME Force Ultra - Dr Dogg
ibtpusG1gHeXeP.jpg

So what's the game all about? Well in the year 1987 Dr Repeaptski has finally invented time travel. Shortly there after the whole world have gone to heck, buildings are destroyed and the planet had been invaded by the Blounbot robot army. Why are they called Blounbots? No one knows for sure. But don't worry because Commander Repeaptski, Dr Repeaptski from the future, has arrived to erase histories dumb mistakes. How is he going to achieve this? Well with the help of his Super Temporal Infinite Manipulation Expert Force, otherwise known as the Super TIME Force. Cue an adventure taking in various stages set in various different era’s and locales ranging from the past, the present and the future.

At the start the Super TIME Force consists of three members and they each have a distinct use and special ability. Jean Rabois is the gunner time character armed with a machine gun with his special firing in 3 directions at the same time in a triangle. Aimy McKillen is the more precision shooter and her rifle allows her to ricochet her shots to get hard to reach enemies while her special shoots through objects. Finally there is Shieldy Blockerson who is the defensive member of the TIME Force with his regular move using his shield to deflect incoming fire as he moves forwards. His special is to drop an orb that acts as a shield lasting a small amount of time blocking fire and sending a shockwave to destroy nearby enemies. But as you continue to play the game you can recruit other members that you can save along your way from the different era’s you visit.

Now on to the gameplay. Well on the surface the game appears to be a classic 2D side-scrolling shooter, you know like Contra but there's a bit more to it than that. Now in a Contra like game once you die you start over right? Well not here. You have the power to control time. These are called a Time Out and you have a certain amount you can use at any time regardless if you die or not but more on that later. So once you die you can rewind time to an earlier point, like scrubbing through the timeline of the the stage and selecting the point to resume or even start over. While taking a Time Out you can select any of your members of the team, even a copy of the past member who has just died. But you also have your past self (you know the one that died) playing out the actions as well. If you can save them from dying you gain an extra unit of health before timing out and you gain the saved member's special power which also stacks with your own. You can combine different members of the TIME Forces specials as well for some crazy combinations. There are also pickups that extend the stage timer, give you certain bonuses like slowing down time and more.

So where the game really switches things up is the time sensitive situations. These are usually for when you have a chance to recruit new members to the TIME Force that need to be saved or for the boss battles. So not to spoil anything I'll tag this part but if you want to know what the score is it will just describe the situation where you get to recruit your first new member,
Jef Leppard. Now Jef is being held captive by a larger Blounbot robot and you have to save him in a set amount of time. First thing though is that you have to destroy the breakable wall in front of you before you can damage the Blounbot. If you play this like a straight up shooter you will run out of time and poor Jef will sadly die. So what do you do? Well use your TIME Force powers of course. Instead of using just one version of yourself you take a Time Out and multiply the damage done to the wall by adding more and more copies. By stacking up the damage you can blast through the wall in seconds and Jef
is saved, hooray! The boss battles are mixed in their approach but they take this concept on in various ways by having to stack damage and by having to deal damage at set points in time when the boss is open or vulnerable. It's a really clever concept and makes you think about how you want to stack damage and where you need to place your members and at what time they need to be shooting and a combination of all of the above.

As for the new Ultra additions it looks like there are lots of added challenge levels, a new power from the Alternate Dimension and new characters galore to add to the team.

Phew! That was a lot. I'm pretty sure I've butchered this and missed a whole lot of other bits of info too but as with all previous Capy games this has a fantastic soundtrack that's worth checking out as well.

Edit: And because I keep on bloody editing this here's some gifs from Capy's tumblr

DinoChompyForevsies.gif
poopdodge.gif

madmax_smash.gif
spacebuswarpin.gif

madmaxblancoShort.gif
stf_jeanblastapulp.gif

shieldbash.gif
aimychargekill.gif

tumblr_n83k4ny2n01s0714io2_1280.gif

Evrain

I had one major issue at the end, when the platforming becomes a time-trial with little room for error. The game feels clunky but you get used to it and it becomes part of the puzzle. If not for that one part, I'd have thought it was intentional.

Also, I wish the cutscenes were done with in-game models. The comic book feel was cool and all, but completely incongruous with the moody visuals the rest of the game carried.

Worth giving a go, though.
I thought exactly the same, clunkiness due to the player character not exactly being Lara Croft. The comic looks are a nod to TWD, I think?

EDIT: KOF13 game night incoming?

Mono

Broke down and bought the new HB; KoFXIII is just too tempting! There are a lot of characters in that game, wow.

Chariot

so ... a moba then? ;)

also:

I think someone has to tell Atari what "ALONE" means exactly ;)
I thought about that too, but you can be alone with others. I remember people saying "we're all alone in the world". So I think it's ok to say that four people are alone, without anybody else, in the dark.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
I thought about that too, but you can be alone with others. I remember people saying "we're all alone in the world". So I think it's ok to say that four people are alone, without anybody else, in the dark.

I REALLY don't buy that xD sorry

New thread! I saw Jawmuncher wanted to play some KoF on Steam. I'm down for that. Although I'm in EU and I'm not sure how feasible it would be with the US and the East.

Newblade

Great bundles today. Here are my spare keys:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Newblade, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Whispering Willows -- MB-B2A1A0B2CCD5C221 - Taken by redlacs. 6 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Crusader Kings II -- MB-7A178EBB560FC5A3 - Taken by salazar547. 9 entrants total.
Terraria -- MB-D85CF4D48A7B69BB - Taken by XaeonBE. 2 entrants total.
Deadlight -- MB-C461FF1669274F0A - Taken by pahamrick. 2 entrants total.

t1408479272z1.png

madjoki

Ah, that makes sense. I guess Valve knows better than to give out free money (even though trading cards are already free money). Thanks.

Techically giving cards is free money for valve from fees.
But it's abusable, so it makes sense.

No More Room in Hell got even boosters disabled. So cards can actually gain some value. (So if you want the badge or speculate now's best time to buy). Other three seems still have boosters if you already idled.

Dr Dogg

All Smart Glass did was give you acess to these locked areas with good items.
Never even bothered with the air strikes since they are more of a hassle to use than anything. Game has more than enough content without having to mess with the smartglass stuff.

Ah that's good to know. I think this whole Second Screen initiative has been a bit of a gimmick and hasn't really caught on. which is a bit of a shame as with Assassin's Creed IV having the map on a tablet constantly as well as some of the other items you would have to dig into the menu made things a bit easier and you could remove most of the UI elements from the screen.

BruteUA

Shadowgate on Thursday, hype reaching critical.

Too bad that's the day I'm going with the wife to get her driver's license renewed.

abracadaver

Don't need this:

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (abracadaver, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Murdered: Soul Suspect -- MB-336CF7A5B4D70E1D - Taken by default two. 93 entrants total.

t1408489292z1.png

MattyG

Banned
Just got STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl and Clear Sky for 5 keys total. YEEEEES. Should I play them vanilla, or do I need mods?

fernandes

Techically giving cards is free money for valve from fees.
But it's abusable, so it makes sense.

No More Room in Hell got even boosters disabled. So cards can actually gain some value. (So if you want the badge or speculate now's best time to buy). Other three seems still have boosters if you already idled.

Oh, I noticed they removed the drops from No More Room in Hell but I didn't know they did the same for the others. Better cancel my sales for Defiance cards and wait a few weeks before trying to sell them again, then.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Shadowgate on Thursday, hype reaching critical.

Too bad that's the day I'm going with the wife to get her driver's license renewed.

I'm so pumped for Shadowgate. I've been reading some online (not trying to give myself spoilers) but it seems a lot of the puzzles have been remade in such a way that anyone like me who knows the original game like the back of their hand will still find the game incredibly challenging.

The developers have mentioned several times that they would be very interesting in remaking the other "Macventures" games - Deja Vu 1 & 2, and Uninvited, if Shadowgate sells well. That would be amazingly cool.

i think i read somewhere that it's been changed to the SFxT netcode, which was considered pretty terrible when it launched.

Still, it can't be worse than the Injustice PC net code. Shit is fucking atrocious.

For me at least it's way worse than SFxT was on the 360. The lag spikes don't seem like ordinary "general" bad netcode issues. It's like something else crappy is going on. My connections go from pretty solid (same as SSFIV on 360) to having 5-6 times a match where it all chugs to a halt. Very annoying right now, and not really playable.

I just checked the post numbers a bit and found out that the large posters post less while total posts stay around the same number. I drew the conclusion that there is a huge influx of new members to the famous StearnGAF.

This is why I want to redirect this crowd towards Origin, where everything is oranger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom