• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale Thread 2013 - 3% Discounts Sale but no Shark

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Defy Gravity Extended -- MB-A7530D2768D46F28 - Taken by Eanan. 6 entrants total.

t1386085158z1.png

The_Monk

Finished The Walking Dead

the onions, fuck man :(

Clementine!

I hope you liked it fellow GAFfer! Have you played the DLC too? While it's short it makes you want to play Season 2 even more, can't wait for that one. You can finish in about one hour. I know it's not much but there has been some decent sales on the DLC every now and then. Keep an eye out. :)

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
They can still receive gifts, right? I'm sure some kind gaffers will assist them with tax-evasion. :D

That doesn't work because the tax is for every purchase in dollars, not only for steam, no way around it really.

Where do they live? I was complaining about 7% International Purchase tax here in Brazil last month, but 35%? Damn.

Future WC 2014 Champions :p

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
They can still receive gifts, right? I'm sure some kind gaffers will assist them with tax-evasion. :D

Argentinians are stuck between a rock (buying on Steam directly and being hit with tax) and a hard place (buying indirectly through PayPal and being hit with tax) unless Valve switches the store to local currency.

Edit: Beaten.

Assassins Creed 4 is 50% on Amazon, I think that's its lowest price yet.
Crysis 3 was ~70% off some days ago also on Amazon, but looks like it's back to its regular price, I'd wait If I were you.

How is the AC4 PC Port? I'm torn between PS3 and PC versions for that sale (I know it's not steam..well..the PC Steam version activates on Steam! Relevance!)

Enslaved was 9.99 for a while on Amazon..back to 14.99 now :(

NaM

Argentinians are stuck between a rock (buying on Steam directly and being hit with tax) and a hard place (buying indirectly through PayPal and being hit with tax) unless Valve switches the store to local currency.

Paypal is even worse because you have to add the paypal fee to the tax, and that's waaaay worse.

JaseC

How is the AC4 PC Port? I'm torn between PS3 and PC versions for that sale (I know it's not steam..well..the PC Steam version activates on Steam! Relevance!)

Enslaved was 9.99 for a while on Amazon..back to 14.99 now :(

It looks great, but like AC3 it doesn't run quite as well as it should, though I feel performance is more consistent (I've not seen the framerate dip below ~50fps). I wouldn't bother with the PC version if you have anything less than heavily-overclocked Intel CPU and a GTX 580 or equivalent.

Edit: Err, "more", not "most".

Copons

Terraria is basically a create your own metroidvania. I can understand why people would be put off by the crafting, it does get pretty involved but really it is pretty perfect if you enjoy any kind of 2d action platforming and creating your own content.

Back before the guide NPC told you how to create things I spent tons of time on the wiki page. Games like these require you do a bit of homework.

I kinda of totally dislike the crafting part of Terraria (while I was pretty fond of the Minecraft one, just to mention a game somewhat similar).
It's just that I never felt precise in putting down my "lego bricks" with the mixed kb/m controls, while in Minecraft this aspect is for me way more tight.

Probably I should have played it at a lower resolution, just to have bigger blocks. :D

dream

I feel horrible asking, considering it's essentially $2.50, but is the Age of Empires 2 expansion any good?

It looks great, but like AC3 it doesn't run quite as well as it should, though I feel performance is most consistent (I've not seen the framerate dip below ~50fps). I wouldn't bother with the PC version if you have anything less than heavily-overclocked Intel CPU and a GTX 580 or equivalent.

Well damn. I meet the GPU threshold but I'm rocking an AMD that isn't over clocked.

PS3 Version it is then! Thanks for the response.

Tecl0n

Damn this really sucks, I had no idea about this tax over there. Hopefully a solution or some workaround surfaces for you guys.

Paypal and the sort transactions are also taxed(AND the paypal fee which is already high on its own). The only way would be to do a bank to offshore bank account, but if you have the money to do that you shouldn't be worried about a 35%.

Where do they live? I was complaining about 7% International Purchase tax here in Brazil last month, but 35%? Damn.
Argentina.

A way out of this would be to lessen the tax to neighbouring countries (Nuuvem with less tax, that'd be nice), but i really doubt that will happen cause most of the tourists go there. And since this new increment also affects tourism packages...

JaseC

Well, it is IndieRoyale. Their offerings have been weak for a while now, sadly.

Even so, I think this is the first time there's been absolutely nothing I want.

I'm inclined to agree, although there was a rather curious tweet saying something about there being "the potential for more [games] to be added."

Haha, I'm guessing more games will be added if sales are low.

Seanspeed

Banned
It looks great, but like AC3 it doesn't run quite as well as it should, though I feel performance is most consistent (I've not seen the framerate dip below ~50fps). I wouldn't bother with the PC version if you have anything less than heavily-overclocked Intel CPU and a GTX 580 or equivalent.
Its still going to be a lot better than a PS3 version. Hell, on a PC you could run it at 720p and also have 60fps, ya know?

Or at 1080p at 30fps.

JaseC

Its still going to be a lot better than a PS3 version. Hell, on a PC you could run it at 720p and also have 60fps, ya know?

Or at 1080p at 30fps.

I'd be wary of a stock AMD CPU being up to the task. GPU utilisation in the game is actually pretty good from a percentage standpoint (70~80%); it's the CPU optimisation that's lacking.

Edit: Though having said that, the PS3 and X360 ports are rather awful. I thought he said PS4, haha. I say try your luck.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Presumably if they found a good that could be purchased with local currency but sold to earn a foreign currency balance, they could avoid the impacts of the tax. As I understand it, Chinese firms are doing this with BitCoin right now to dodge the yuan pegging issues.

I'm not really sure what might fall into this category. I suspect it's impossible to use AR pesos to buy, say, Amazon.com gift certificates.

Knurek

It looks great, but like AC3 it doesn't run quite as well as it should, though I feel performance is more consistent (I've not seen the framerate dip below ~50fps). I wouldn't bother with the PC version if you have anything less than heavily-overclocked Intel CPU and a GTX 580 or equivalent.

Counterpoint: game is completely playable (on LOW, obviously) on my Pentium G2030+Radeon 6770.

Counterpoint: game is completely playable (on LOW, obviously) on my Pentium G2030+Radeon 6770.

I'm rocking an AMD Phenom x4 ..II I thinl (It's rated at 3.2GHZ, quad core) and Radeon 6870. Hence my wariness XD (First time I've felt wary potentially buying a PC game. Might have to upgrade next year XD)

Enslaved is good? Has anyone played the PC version?

If you're a fan of Uncharted-style platforming, it's a pretty good (and super pretty!) romp for 9.99. The story and acting are pretty superb, and it was the best looking UE3 game I'd seen at that time.

NaM

Presumably if they found a good that could be purchased with local currency but sold to earn a foreign currency balance, they could avoid the impacts of the tax. As I understand it, Chinese firms are doing this with BitCoin right now to dodge the yuan pegging issues.

I'm not really sure what might fall into this category. I suspect it's impossible to use AR pesos to buy, say, Amazon.com gift certificates.

Nobody accepts pesos AFAIK, and when I say nobody I mean N-O-B-O-D-Y.

I just put 3hrs into Deadly Premonition, and I'm really enjoying it. It has quite some... strange characters in it, which is a good thing. I still couldn't get the Durante fix to work, but I have a 720p HDTV so I don't think I'd benefit from it anyways.

My only con with the game so far is that it's too easy. I haven't been hit by a monster yet and my pistol is really OP. I don't mind the difficulty, it's really fun to play regardless. I had to stop since I was starting to get burn-in from the health display so I'll start it up later after my TV settled down.

JaseC

Yeah, I thought he said he was considering the PS4 version, not the PS3 version.

I'm rocking an AMD Phenom x4 ..II I thinl (It's rated at 3.2GHZ, quad core) and Radeon 6870. Hence my wariness XD (First time I've felt wary potentially buying a PC game. Might have to upgrade next year XD)

As I mentioned on the previous page, I'd try your luck. The previous-gen ports look and run like a dog's breakfast -- they were definitely given the least amount of attention throughout the game's 12-month development cycle.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
This is an awfully weak offering. IR could have included a non-Steam game that's on Greenlight.

i kind of like the indie royale bundles even if not all of them are great, lots of really unknown games which i think is positive.

i think the "problem" with indie royale is that they only add games to the bundles that are also on desura and there aren't that much "high quality" games left to add and so the overall quality gets lower.

i have over 400 games on desura mainly through indie royale, about 150 or so of them aren't even on steam, lots of interesting stuff among them that would be totally ignored without the bundles

Jawmuncher

Enslaved is good? Has anyone played the PC version?

Played Enslaved on 360 and had a lot of fun with it.
Especially good if you like 3rd person action gameplay where the main focus is the story.
PC Port I heard was fine. 1080P Unreal Engine 3 working fine and controller support added.

Grid 2 is ridiculously good looking at highest settings.
I declare it the Derek Zoolander of racing games.

I've also been delighted by how well it runs on my 5-year-old laptop. It's been very enjoyable so far, though I'm curious how it compares with the original Grid (in terms of gameplay): I'm currently considering buying that too as it is cheap on Gamersgate.

Yeah, I thought he said he was considering the PS4 version, not the PS3 version.

As I mentioned on the previous page, I'd try your luck. The current-gen ports look and run like a dog's breakfast -- they were definitely given the least amount of attention throughout the game's 12-month development cycle.

I think I'll go ahead. I'm pretty shocked at what my little PC can accomplish (Tomb Raider with TressFX *drool*).

The PS4 upgrade with the PS3 version was going to tempt me, but I don't know when I'll be getting a PS4.

Thanks a bunch guys!

Echoplx

I think I'm coming down with a case of the jasec's, the only way to get the Civ V Digital Deluxe DLC is to buy the Gold Edition, I bought everything over time for cheap so I don't have it... I feel bad for even considering spending $5 to get it.

nexen

I have two problems with the Enslaved port:

1) no way to turn on vsync and the tearing is really bad.
I know it is an unreal game though, so I think there is an .ini setting for it?

2) there is an occasional super-hitch, usually when transitioning to a cutscene from gameplay. It is jarring.

Otherwise highly recommended. Runs at a solid ~ 60 fps (hitches aside), gameplay is average, but I liked the story and LOVED the characters. Ninja Theory character animation is something to behold. Monkey and Trip just come alive. They are well written, directed, and acted and the animation makes these things shine through.

I've also been delighted by how well it runs on my 5-year-old laptop. It's been very enjoyable so far, though I'm curious how it compares with the original Grid (in terms of gameplay): I'm currently considering buying that too as it is cheap on Gamersgate.

I had a problem with the demo on my laptop. Couldn't get it above 20fps even at lowest settings. But I turned off switchable graphics and just run against my 7970m. I get >50fps at highest settings now, very stable. Game is so amazingly, ridiculously good looking. Definitely the best looking racing game I've ever played.

JaseC

i kind of like the indie royale bundles even if not all of them are great, lots of really unknown games which i think is positive.

i think the "problem" with indie royale is that they only add games to the bundles that are also on desura and there aren't that much "high quality" games left to add and so the overall quality gets lower.

You may be on to something there. I had no idea Indie Royale was Desura-run until about a month ago, haha.

Download RivaTuner and use D3DOverrider to force vsync/triple buffering.

Turfster

My Phenom II X4 2.8ghz is able to take pretty much everything I've ever throw at it.
Don't sell it short ;)

Jawmuncher

2) there is an occasional super-hitch, usually when transitioning to a cutscene from gameplay. It is jarring.

Otherwise highly recommended. Runs at a solid ~ 60 fps (hitches aside), gameplay is average, but I liked the story and LOVED the characters. Ninja Theory character animation is something to behold. Monkey and Trip just come alive. They are well written, directed, and acted and the animation makes these things shine through.

I recall someone saying turning on Vsync at least for Nvidia cards from the nvidia settings fixed the tearing.

It's alright, only 50cents more on gmg i think.

Anyways more walking dead! I kind of like these games, need a break from all those shooting games :/

Yep know exactly how you feel. I've been playing slower paced games myself.

Dario ff

Banned

Blizzard supports direct purchases from Argentina just fine with several services in AR pesos. Some of the prices are even lower and I don't see any tax problems, so I don't see what's the limitations for Valve on adding more payment options.

I retroactively fund my Steam gaming funds with my Youtube channel anyway, so I'm fine with Paypal for now. PC gaming funds my PC gaming. I wish Valve got around to adding more payment options in South America tho. Even Chile has direct debit at the moment!

EDIT: AsylumX beat me.

nexen

I recall someone saying turning on Vsync at least for Nvidia cards from the nvidia settings fixed the tearing.
Yeah, vysnc would fix the tearing but I'm rocking ATI on my laptop.

Download RivaTuner and use D3DOverrider to force vsync/triple buffering.
I will try this. Thanks!

I'm holding off for the inevitable $5 or so but I reallly want to replay it, fun and engaging game start to finish.
Normally I would too, since I know this game is headed there. Ninja Theory is my underdog game dev du jour though, so they get my monies.

Echoplx

Yeah, vysnc would fix the tearing but I'm rocking ATI on my laptop.

I will try this. Thanks!

Always check PCGW :)

Modifying the graphics
Navigate to SteamApps\common\Enslaved\Engine\Config\ and open BaseEngine.ini.

Example graphical options that can be modified:
MaxAnisotropy= can be put to 16
DetailMode= (default is 2; 5 is max supported)
ShadowFilterRadius= (default is 2; 5 is recommended)
MaxMultisamples= (default is 1; can be set to 4, 8 or 16 for anti-aliasing, or see instructions below for enabling 4xMSAA + 4xSGSSAA which is much higher quality)
UseVsync= (Default value is False; you can set this to True; but it is recommended to leave it off and force Vsync in your graphics drivers instead)
bSmoothFrameRate= (Default value is TRUE; recommended to change this to FALSE to remove framerate cap)
MotionBlur= (Default is True; can be set to False to disable motion blur and possibly help with hangs after cutscenes)

You should be able to force vsync in the amd control panel.

JaseC

I think I'm coming down with a case of the jasec's, the only way to get the Civ V Digital Deluxe DLC is to buy the Gold Edition, I bought everything over time for cheap so I don't have it... I feel bad for even considering spending $5 to get it.

Thanks for the heads-up! My trader guy is offline, though, so I might have to wait until the Winter Sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom