• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Minsc

Gold Member
Stumpokapow said:
flock 11.24
peggle complete 11.24 <-- get dis son
civ 4 13.39
serious sam hd 14.99 <-- console price, pc quality
ninja blade 14.99
overlord 2 14.99
prince of persia 2008 14.99
call of juarez 2 14.99

half of these games are 2009 retail games!!

Damn, this page is incomplete? I need to add Serious Sam HD to my list too, looks like I'll need to tread down those alleys after all.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Question to those who have one hooked up. Is it better to grab an official xbox 360 controller for the PC or some other random named brand?

Chances are i will pickup a few games here that will work well with a controller. So i intend to buy one in a few days.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ezekial45 said:
Should i hold off on Fallout GOTY? I scared that it'lll be next up on the special sales list.

hold off until the last day to make your purchase so you don't accidentally buy something awesome that later gets even more awesome because of the daily deals!

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Stumpokapow said:
secret of monkey island SE 4.99
jedi knight: jedi academy 4.99
civ 3 3.34 even if it is the bete noire of the series
plants versus zombies 7.49 best tower defence game ever made
titan quest gold 9.99

audiosurf 2.50 <------------------------- pc game of the century also i could swear this was 9.99 a few minutes ago so i guess more stuff is dropping as we speak
:lol
It was 9.99 a minute ago. You can find me bitching about it

BOUGHT BOUGHT BOUGHT!

Stumpokapow said:
hold off until the last day to make your purchase so you don't accidentally buy something awesome that later gets even more awesome because of the daily deals!
I thought of this right after I bought Killing Floor and Jedi Collection.

I have a hard time seeing Audiosurf getting cheap, but it could be in an Indie Bundle >_>

Damn. It cuts ya deep! Right now I am going to pick up:

4.99 King's Quest Collection
9.99 Jedi Knight Collection
2.49 Braid

Also considering:

4.99 Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
34.99 ID Super Pack (trying to hold out for a deal on just D3+exp)
9.99 Torchlight
7.99 Trine
9.99 World In Conflict Complete
4.99 Medieval Total War
4.66 Family Fued Collection =)
2.49 Oddworld Pack
26.24 Oblivion GOTY+Nine DLC
9.99 Battlefront 2

Hoping that FEAR 2 goes on sale (why is it still $50?).

Jirotrom

Stumpokapow said:
thats what im doing... not spending more than 5 bucks on any gasme till the last day :lol

Baha

Huzzah! Christmas came early this year, here's what I bought:

STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl - 1.99 USD
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II (NA) - 19.99 USD
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition - 13.59 USD
Oddworld Abes Oddysee and Exoddus package - 2.49 USD
Lucasarts Adventure Bundle - 2.49 USD
Zombie Shooter 2 - 2.49 USD
Total - 43.04 USD

*bow*Steam*bow*

:D

Max

I am not Max
I'm thinking about getting Company of Heroes Gold for $15. Or Dawn of War II for $20.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
What a...

My credit card is gonna explode in pieces :lol

:(

kswiston

Those Daily deals have me nervous. I might hold off on anything not discounted 75% or more, until I see how the daily deals will work. I'm hoping that the daily deals will be reserved for games that currently aren't discounted (DA:O is still $50).

However, I would be pissed off if I bought something at 25% off just to see it drop another 25-50% a day later.

Also, god damn all these digital distribution sales this year from steam and everyone else. I've purchased like 100 computer games in 12 months. It's a disease. If a game is at least 50%, and under $10 I can't help but buy it.

Costanza

Banned
I picked up GTA4, Indigo Prophecy and STALKER Clear Sky for $15. I'd kill for that Eidos pack but I'm completely drained out of cash right now after buying a netbook for schoolwork yesterday.

Dammit. :(

epmode

evlcookie said:
Question to those who have one hooked up. Is it better to grab an official xbox 360 controller for the PC or some other random named brand?
360 wired pad is your best bet. The official drivers work very well with newer games and there are unofficial drivers written especially for that controller if you need it for old stuff.

Chris R

ezekial45 said:
Should i hold off on Fallout GOTY? I scared that it'lll be next up on the special sales list.
I'm waiting for it to drop even lower. It should hit something like 20-25$ hopefully.

MoFuzz

evlcookie said:

Chances are i will pickup a few games here that will work well with a controller. So i intend to buy one in a few days.

Over 95% of Games For Windows titles will support a 360 pad out of the box. Including rumble, and with onscreen prompts. No config necessary really, just plug and play. Maybe install drivers if you're on XP.

That said, I use both a 360 pad as well as a Logitech Rumblepad 2, which can also be tweaked to work with most games using a 360 pad emulator.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Minsc said:
Damn, this page is incomplete? I need to add Serious Sam HD to my list too, looks like I'll need to tread down those alleys after all.

i wouldn't trust anything except steam -> browse all!

homm 5 + all expansions 19.99
bad deal: left 4 dead 22.49 <-- i got this for 7.49 during the last sale don't buy this it'll be 7.49 again sometime soon

tales of monkey island pack 24.84
dawn of discovery 24.99
civ 4 + expansions 26.79

left 4 dead 2 37.49 <-- i bet this will go down more

re5 37.49

AND THAT'S IT! :D browsed through 100% of all items and dug up the best deals for gaf

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
evlcookie said:
Can't find anything that i REALLY want but there's a few games that are cheap enough to make me go MMmmm.
Same here I think I own everything I pretty much want (and I've barely played those.) I did bite on Braid for 2 bucks and change.

Think I'll just wait out anything over $5 to see if they end up getting limited time offers.

ezekial45

Banned
Stumpokapow said:

Sounds good. So until than, the prices will stay the same (unless it goes on the special list), right?

Minsc

Gold Member
epmode said:
360 wired pad is your best bet. The official drivers work very well with newer games and there are unofficial drivers written especially for that controller if you need it for old stuff.

I wonder why people always recommend the wired pad over the wireless one, the wireless one works great for me, if you'd prefer not to have any wires.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ezekial45 said:
Sounds good. So until than, the prices will stay the same (unless it goes on the special list), right?

Theoretically yes. I don't want to be held responsible if something gets jacked back up and you missed out on a good deal, but my strategy is to at least wait on stuff that looks like it has obvious room to drop!

Nelo Ice

Banned
so i got chaos theory and ive been charged and the game is in my games list but when i click it steam says its still processing and on my order history it says pending

Stumpokapow said:
i wouldn't trust anything except steam -> browse all!

homm 5 + all expansions 19.99
bad deal: left 4 dead 22.49 <-- i got this for 7.49 during the last sale don't buy this it'll be 7.49 again sometime soon

tales of monkey island pack 24.84
dawn of discovery 24.99
civ 4 + expansions 26.79

re5 37.49

AND THAT'S IT! :D browsed through 100% of all items and dug up the best deals for gaf

Give this man a medal.

Bought Audiosurf. I'm sticking with <$5 unless there is something I really want for <$15.

Steam has made me poor over the last month.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Kabuki Waq said:
is titan quest gold worht the purchase?

both titan quest and the expansion are excellent games and they're basically diablo 2.5 + pretty colours... on the other hand, if you haven't played torchlight, get torchlight first. for 9.99, it's cheaper and it's more recent.

i played titan quest this summer so it's not too dated or anything but yeah definitely recommend torchlight over it.

OR GET BOTH TORCHLIGHT AND TITAN QUEST!

Firebrand

Stumpokapow said:

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for. If not I'll grab it at *sigh* JUST 25% off at the end of the sale.

Steam - Teaching customers not to buy anything at full price.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
LovingSteam said:
Remember folks, there will also be 24 hour deals on games that are not yet discounted. I have a feeling many of the EA games will be for that.
The 24 hour deal will not include games already discounted due to this sale, correct?

epmode

Minsc said:
I wonder why people always recommend the wired pad over the wireless one, the wireless one works great for me, if you'd prefer not to have any wires.
Because you need to buy additional hardware to get the computer to recognize it.

And the wireless pad might not work with the unofficial drivers, which is a Big Deal for me.

Doytch

Costanza said:
omg, I just realized I haven't played a single game in that Telltale pack. FUUUUUCK I need to get some money. :'(
Dude
bro

Yeah, I highly recommend the Telltale pack to anyone. Grab the free games on Steam to see if you're down with Telltale's style (though it changes between S&M, W&G and MI) and then dump the money down. They're the perfect weekend games.

I just spent 53 dollars on games from GOG.com... My backlog went from massive to humongous.

Looks like I'll be spending another 20 or so. My game queue won't empty... ever.

I'm eyeing Outrun 2006. How is it?

My only disappointment with this sale is that I already own most of the <$10 games I'm interested in. I have high hopes for the rest of the daily deals, though, if today is any indication.

Minsc said:
The wireless has been harder to find, and IIRC it has some weird quirks with a few games (triggers not working or something).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Dark Stalkers said:
Is Ghostbusters a good game for someone who never watched the movies?

I thought it was really fun (played on 360). There are definitely lots of little touches that make it better if you've seen the movies, but since the plot involves you playing as a new Ghostbusters recruit, every plot reference is explained as you go along and the real Ghostbusters teach the noob that you play as about stuff.

You're good, I'd buy it!

graywolf323

K.Jack said:
The 24 hour deal will not include games already discounted due to this sale, correct?

already has, Operation Flashpoint is part of a bundle that's on sale and all the other games in the bundle are partly discounted to begin with so most likely it'll still be something like 25% off when the 50% off sale ends

Suairyu

Banned
Question - recently tried to play the first Medieval: Total War and couldn't get into it. I believe the very last tutorial mission made me give up when I was continually taking fire from somewhere but the game never provided enough visual information to let me know where.

Did such flaws get rectified as the series went on? I'm looking at both Rome and Medieval II here and wondering if they're really the sort of thing I'd like. Also, which one of those two would be considered the superior title (especially considering my inexperience with the series - is one a better entry point)?

Firestorm

I really hope Fallout 3 GOTY drops further during the daily deals. Need it at $29.99 or lower please!

Goddamn I want to gift Audiosurf to everybody.

Also :( at STALKER being $1.99 and me still not having had time to get to it.

ezekial45

Banned
Blu_LED said:
Is Half-Life Source just a remake of the original? So definitely buy Source over the original?

It's just the original game running on the source engine. The graphics are sharper....and thats about it.

Top Bottom