• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

FSLink

Banned
Valve Complete Pack is $75 again this year.
So those of you who for some reason still doesn't have Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, Orange Box, etc. (Me.), this is an awesome deal.

epmode

Blu_LED said:
Is Half-Life Source just a remake of the original? So definitely buy Source over the original?
It's more of a port than a remake. The graphics tweaks are actually pretty jarring if you ask me. Doesn't mesh with the art style very well. Go with the original and wait for the Black Mesa remake.

A question for those who'vehad this experience. I'm traveling to Canada for the rest of the week. The pricing and availability should be the same for NA, no? Does Steam determine availability through the billing address? I'd be pretty pissed if I missed out on a good one in one of these daily deals.

Thanks in advance.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
my advice would be to hold off on all the valve games

i got orange box for 9.99 last year and HL1 for 0.99, and during the thanksgiving sale i got L4D for 7.49.

Baha

Hasphat6462 said:
A question for those who'vehad this experience. I'm traveling to Canada for the rest of the week. The pricing and availability should be the same for NA, no? Does Steam determine availability through the billing address? I'd be pretty pissed if I missed out on a good one in one of these daily deals.

Thanks in advance.

I'm Canadian and I pay the usd price which is later converted to cad on my credit card bill. And no, you won't miss any of the amazing deals.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Hasphat6462 said:

Thanks in advance.
Send a support ticket, explaining your situation, and they'll flag your account to allow purchases internationally.

tabsina

woww

for anyone who has bought gta 4 from here.. is the game big? my australian download limits are about to cry, i'm sure

also - is the dlc for gta 4 out on pc yet?

Stitch

Gold Member
K.Jack said:
Eh, I mean, what is your CPU? I know people playing it on 2.5Ghz C2D.
Athlon X2 240 2.8GHz
3.25GB RAM (damn 32bit OS :D )
Geforce 8600 GT

but i'm not even sure if i really want to buy it. it's just so damn cheap.. :lol

Is the Valve complete pack worth it for someone who has NEVER played a Valve game before? Or should I just cut the corners, and buy the essentials (Orange Box, L4D1 and 2, HL:1)?

Firebrand

Why would you do that? said:
I just spent 53 dollars on games from GOG.com... My backlog went from massive to humongous.

Looks like I'll be spending another 20 or so. My game queue won't empty... ever.

I'm eyeing Outrun 2006. How is it?

If you like very arcadey racing games, then yes, it's great. I believe you can't save time trial and/or ghost data or something on the Steam version though, and the multiplayer mode isn't working at all.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
rohlfinator said:
Mother-effing STEAM SALE!!!

My current cart:
LucasArts Adventure Pack
Indigo Prophecy
GTA IV
The Void

Total: $23.36

Haha. Same as me except I went for the Time Gentlemen! Please! double pack instead of the LucasArts Adventure pack.

tabsina said:
for anyone who has bought gta 4 from here.. is the game big? my australian download limits are about to cry, i'm sure
I haven't installed it yet, but Steam says 15.6GB.
Zefah said:
Haha. Same as me except I went for the Time Gentlemen! Please! double pack instead of the LucasArts Adventure pack.
Heh, nice. I would have no doubt grabbed that too if I hadn't picked it up earlier in the year. It's funny, I was seriously tempted to buy both The Void and Indigo Prophecy earlier in the week, but I'm glad I held off.

Jirotrom

Firestorm said:
I really hope Fallout 3 GOTY drops further during the daily deals. Need it at $29.99 or lower please!

Goddamn I want to gift Audiosurf to everybody.

Also :( at STALKER being $1.99 and me still not having had time to get to it.
gift me! :D

Hey guys, the Borderlands 4pack is down to 100 dollars. I'd totally be down for getting a 4some for that together.

Also, if anyone is interested in Killing Floor, but they arent sure about it (even at 10 dollars) I have 2 3day guest passes.

EDIT: ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY DO NOT BUY SAINTS ROW 2. It is beyond a terrible port and completely unplayable for a GTX 260M

fresquito

So I have an Athlon X2 2.4. GTA IV is very tempting at that price.

What framerate can I expect from that? W7 x64, 4GB and HD4850 here.

K.Jack said:
Send a support ticket, explaining your situation, and they'll flag your account to allow purchases internationally.

Baha said:
I'm Canadian and I pay the usd price which is later converted to cad on my credit card bill. And no, you won't miss any of the amazing deals.

Much obliged.

Firestorm

Blu_LED said:
Is the Valve complete pack worth it for someone who has NEVER played a Valve game before? Or should I just cut the corners, and buy the essentials (Orange Box, L4D1 and 2, HL:1)?
The essentials will lead up into you spending more. Go Big or Go Home!

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Stitch said:
Athlon X2 240 2.8GHz
3.25GB RAM (damn 32bit OS :D )
Geforce 8600 GT

but i'm not even sure if i really want to buy it. it's just so damn cheap.. :lol
You'd be fine, because you'll want to turn the resolution and settings down medium-ish anyway, because of the 8600 GT.

Blizzard

Banned
For now, I just stuck with:

Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition
Prince of Persia The Two Thrones™
Defense Grid: The Awakening

Total was $14.17, not bad. I know I probably should have waited until further sales, but oh well. I'm not a tower defense fan, but plants vs zombies is pretty fun when it's not frustrating (which is rarely), and people say good things about defense grid. Looked at the Oddworld games, thought the screenshots were uuuuuugly, passed them by.

Oli

Is anyone having trouble with their transaction? I bought Braid and it got stuck at the "working" phase after the confirmation, then said an error occurred. Now Braid is in my account under "pending" and won't let me download or try the transaction again. :\

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Blu_LED said:
Honestly, I'd wait to see if they bring it down on a day sale.

But there is no reason not to get it all. Orange Box will run you about 20-30 to begin with. Add on the same for the Half Life 1 Collection, and L4D1/2. You might as well wait and see if they knock it down to 50$ because all of it is worth playing.

Oli said:
Is anyone having trouble with their transaction? I bought Braid and it got stuck at the "working" phase after the confirmation, then said an error occurred. Now Braid is in my account under "pending" and won't let me download or try the transaction again. :\
Valve shot themselves in the foot with this. They put too much awesomeness on at once and now everyone is trying buy it all like pokemons. It's just going to crash!

Blizzard

Banned
Inflammable Slinky said:
ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY DO NOT BUY SAINTS ROW 2. It is beyond a terrible port and completely unplayable for a GTX 260M
:lol I already got that game in the THQ pack...may not ever try it, if the performance rumors are true.

Also I'm gonna pass up on the Borderlands DLC even on sale, out of disgust for Borderlands statements prior to release/late PC support/SecuROM/etc. I will be very hesitant to get anything from GearBox near release in the future.

Minsc

Gold Member
Thanks Stumpokapow, for all your digging!
I have about 30 tabs to look at now, there's goes my hopes of making out with only spending $100

I'm buying GTA4 at that price.

I would love to buy mirrors edge, stalker, and farcry 2 but I'm on a really tight budget and I want to see what the next deals will be when the timer runs out on these deals. I'm really hoping a Crysis pack or Mass Effect goes on sale next. So this leaves me in a position where I have to skip on these deals just to see what the next deals are.

This is like a cruel steam version of Let's Make a Deal. I just wish I knew what the next deals are going to be

Would double-dip on GTAIV if it still didn't force you to use GFWL and Rockstar social club bullshit.

Going to wait for the next daily sale. *hopes for Dragon Age or L4D2 or Borderlands*

Oli

shintoki said:
Honestly, I'd wait to see if they bring it down on a day sale.

But there is no reason not to get it all. Orange Box will run you about 20-30 to begin with. Add on the same for the Half Life 1 Collection, and L4D1/2. You might as well wait and see if they knock it down to 50$ because all of it is worth playing.

Valve shot themselves in the foot with this. They put too much awesomeness on at once and now everyone is trying buy it all like pokemons. It's just going to crash!

I agree, but in the meantime I'm worried I charged my card a couple times for the same game. Hopefully it wouldn't have allowed that, of course I only hit confirm order once, but I still worry about these things. In the meantime I don't have the game I bought which is disheartening. But hopefully this is just due to overwhelming response from people.

vanty

Blu_LED said:
I got the Valve Complete Pack just after L4D1 launched (all I had on Steam up to that point was TF2), and it's a fantastic way of starting your Valvey love. Just wait a while to see if it ends up in a daily sale to get even better value out of it.

amrod

anyway to keep the steam downloads going while playing a steam game? Every time i go to play a game it pauses my downloads :(

bengraven

Stumpokapow said:
lucasarts adventure pack (loom, the dig, indiana jones and the last crusade, indiana jones and the fates of atlantis) 2.49

braid 2.49

king's quest I-VI 4.99

mirror's edge 4.99

gta4 7.49

defense grid 2.49

oddworld abe's odyssey / abe's exodus - 1.87 each or 2.49 for both

world of goo 4.99

evil genius 1.99

luxor 3 0.99

trials 2 4.99

space quest collection 4.99

ghostbusters 2009 6.79

riddick assault on dark athena 6.79

full wallace and gromit pack 10.19

the witcher 13.59

indigo prophecy 3.39

trine 7.99

roogoo 4.99

the void 9.99

unreal pack 13.59

sdhofid

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Chairhome

Went ahead and bought Mirror's Edge and STALKER since they are the "limited" sales... if I still want some of the other ones that aren't timed (except for when the sale ends), I'll pick em up.... too cheap, but they add up :-/

Top Bottom