• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

+1 for Blue Cash. I do carry a Mastercard around as well since not everywhere I go takes AMEX (but Steam does!)

Couple of under the radar deals:

For the Glory is $10, cheapest I've seen it.
A Farewell to Dragons is supposedly not a bad CRPG and is $15, cheapest I've seen it.

vazel

Banned
matrix-cat said:
Is POP: Sands of Time worth double dipping on? Does it support the 360 controller? I still have it on PS2 but it's aaaall the way on the other side of the room. I was considering it for $6.99 on GOG yesterday, now it's only $4.99.
Stupidly enough it doesn't have gamepad support.

Shadowground Survivor is good, it's basically a one or two session playthrough but I totally dug it and that's not my kind of game at all.

Serious Sam HD is...meh.If you're buying it you better like the Serious Sam singleplayer a lot because the online co-op is dead thanks to no dedicated server support.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Phantast2k said:
A lot of shit is missing in Europe (Germany).
Like the Lucas Art adventure pack... :(
Just $2.49? Hell it's Christmas. Send me your info and I'll gift it your way, no charge.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
You now own Medieval II: Total War.
You now own Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway.

Held of RCT3. I remembered I actually have a boxed version with Soaked! :lol

Blizzard

Banned
vazel said:
Stupidly enough it doesn't have gamepad support.
Did a quick Google search, and it does seem to support a 360 controller/gamepad, though you may have to map the buttons yourself in the controls settings.

Minsc said:
Picked up:

Mahjong Quest III

Edit: Nice, the Mahjong game is actually I, II and III! For $2.49, great deal!

Oh man, I didn't even think of things like this! Are you one of the few and proud that like me also picked up and enjoyed Crave's Mahjong & Solitaire for cheap on Wii?

This will likely be my first big foray into a Steam sale if it is already this crazy.

Fredescu

Fragamemnon said:
A Farewell to Dragons is supposedly not a bad CRPG and is $15, cheapest I've seen it.
I've been checking the Gamersgate advent calendar every day for that. It's still not up, so I grabbed it off Steam.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Fragamemnon said:
Serious Sam HD is...meh.If you're buying it you better like the Serious Sam singleplayer a lot because the online co-op is dead thanks to no dedicated server support.

It runs at the same framerate as Crysis dx10 very high 1080p on my system. Extremely shameful, I regret buying.

Cohsae

EviLore said:
It runs at the same framerate as Crysis dx10 very high 1080p on my system. Extremely shameful, I regret buying.
Looks like Frag's comments and yours have saved me 15 bucks.

I'm thinking

Ghostbusters
Witcher
Indigo Prophecy
Chaos Theory
Rainbow 6 pack
Brothers in arms (maybe wwii pack)
Eidos Pack
Red faction pack
GTA 4
Braid
Lucas Art adventure
Jedi Knight
Outrun

Which comes out to about $160... $180 if I got with WWII pack instead of BIA

Good fucking lord. SO MANY DEALS!!!

Its insane, in-fucking-sane!
:lol :lol :lol

I highly recommend people pick up the Shadowgrounds pack, great little games.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Round 1: No Brainer Small Ticket Items

Braid, Indigo Prophecy, Broken Sword: Twin Pack, Safecracker 2 (NA), Zeno Clash, Starwars Battlefront II, Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition, The Void, Tropico Reloaded, Heroes of Might and Magic 5, And Yet It Moves, King's Quest Collection
Purchased for this account
$67.48

bengraven said:
Oh and Indigo Prophecy has 360 pad support, correct?

Also can be upgraded to the Euro version (titties?)?

Apparently Indigo Prophecy has trouble recognizing the 2nd analog stick for the 360 controller. There is also an .ini setting that you can change that supposedly uncensors it, but I've seen some people saying it doesn't work on the steam version.

Minsc

Gold Member
EviLore said:

That's not encouraging, I'm hoping it goes down to $9.99, but I'm going to get it anyway. I know you said performance is shameful, but in the official thread, someone posted screens showing that there were dozens and dozens of options to tweak around and configure.

Still. A 5870 + i7 920 ought to run Serious Sam at 200fps on extreme high settings no questions asked. Oh well.

ElectricThunder said:
Oh man, I didn't even think of things like this! Are you one of the few and proud that like me also picked up and enjoyed Crave's Mahjong & Solitaire for cheap on Wii?

This will likely be my first big foray into a Steam sale if it is already this crazy.

Nope! :( I might have if I heard about it before now
I have a weakness for casual games, particularly good match-3 ones

vazel

Banned
Blizzard said:
Did a quick Google search, and it does seem to support a 360 controller/gamepad, though you may have to map the buttons yourself in the controls settings.
Both that and Beyond Good and Evil were two big Ubi games that caused controversy by not having gamepad support.

I'm currently trying this to see if it works.

soldat7

The Witcher, STALKER, and Shadowgrounds Pack are mine! Amazing deals.

Now to get a PC that will run The Witcher and STALKER. :lol

I assume i haven't bought anything from steam if i didn't get an email right? I am trying to buy the Witcher! but every time i click purchase it says error in red at the top.

There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance.

I mean. i bought GTAIV earlier with no problem.

larvi

Will probably get King's Bounty Armored Princess for $26.79, cheapest I've seen it so far. Just fyi for those thinking of Fallout 3 GOTY and don't mind a disc copy and waiting a bit, Amazon currently has it for $29.99 but 2-3week time before it ships.

EviLore said:

Odd, I have a 4890 HD and have no framerate issues. Couldn't say a framerate since Fraps isn't working in it, but it looks at least 70.

Stumpokapow said:
my advice would be to hold off on all the valve games

i got orange box for 9.99 last year and HL1 for 0.99, and during the thanksgiving sale i got L4D for 7.49.
I'm tempted to get Orange Box at $22.49, but I'll wait and hope it drops to $9.99 again.

Pumpkins

I got Stalker for 2 bucks but... It's not my kinda game.

It makes me dizzy while playing it because the camera wiggles left and right as you walk/run, making it hard for me to play. First game to actually make me dizzy.

Brannon

Had the store replace my bum Radeon 3850 (256) with a brand new SUPERAWESOME Radeon 4850 (1GB).

...yeah, not that awesome, but holy crap what a step up, no more graphics crashes and shit. Time to get my STALKER on for ~$7 (Chernobyl + Sky = YES YES YES!).

Wow.

How long has it been since I've stopped trashing Steam... it's been so long, and now they're like this awesome force and... damn.

cbox

Pumpkins said:

It makes me dizzy while playing it because the camera wiggles left and right as you walk/run, making it hard for me to play. First game to actually make me dizzy.

there's a patch/console command for that. Google it! Had the same issue.

Zzoram

Pumpkins said:

That's the beauty of $2. Even if you decide you don't like the game, it was probably worth the $2 to find that out.

Blizzard

Banned
Pumpkins said:

I had that EXACT same experience, and it didn't seem like a realistic sway at all. I think I got more used to it after a little bit. There is apparently a mod that makes the motion go away, but that leads to the other issues about STALKER: It's a great game, presumably, but you need to save a lot in case of crashes, it's not an easy game (tries to be realistic with gunplay etc.), and so forth. Now if there's a console command and I don't have to worry about my save files getting corrupted (like I've heard can happen with mods), then I'd try it...

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
EviLore said:

Really? How odd. I don't think i had any issues playing serious sam on my medicore rig at 1920x1200. I'm not sure what the framerate was but it certainly was never low.

The lack of dedicated servers is a bit annoying. But i did play co-op with 6 for a while, although it dropped to 4 and there weren't any major issues with lag. This is of course on aussie connections which as we all know, are shit. Took us 3hrs 30 minutes to complete the game.

legend166 said:
How would GTA IV run on a E6750 with an 8800GT and 2GB of RAM?

It will run at a mix of medium and high and will look and run the same or better then the console version. You may want to OC that CPU as that is what will hold you back more than the 8800.

So nobody anywhere has any clue what the next games will be up for the next 48 hour sale? I really would like to get Mirrors Edge and Farcry 2 but would prefer to wait for a Crysis pack, Mass Effect, or even a double dip on Dead Space if it goes on sale.

Xevo

Phantast2k said:
A lot of shit is missing in Europe (Germany).
Like the Lucas Art adventure pack... :(

Yeah, I noticed that too. Stalker is missing altogether from the german store, does anybody know if games which are not available in a region are still giftable?

Wow. This is overwhelming.

Time to buy a bunch of games I'll never get around to playing. I think I'll buy some indie games just to support them.

Well, at least i won't blow my money on THQ games . . . because I already bought the THQ complete pack.

teiresias

vazel said:
Both that and Beyond Good and Evil were two big Ubi games that caused controversy by not having gamepad support.

I'm currently trying this to see if it works.

I could have sworn I played this when it originally came out with a PS2 controller via a USB adapter. I may have just mapped the keyboard commands to the pad, but I remember it working fairly well.

This sale is making me want to buy a bunch of stuff that's going to just force me back into building a gaming PC :lol, since alot of the cooler stuff probably won't run all that great on my '07 iMac via bootcamp.

Chairhome

I remember having fun with but never completing Jedi Outcast. Is the Jedi Knight pack worth it, or should I skip? (Please say skip, my backlog keeps growing :p)

MoFuzz

I'm eyeing Shattered Horizon at $15, but the fact that there's less than 100 people playing according to Steam at any given time is kind of sad.

Top Bottom