• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

vanty

Just bought:

Grand Theft Auto IV
Braid
AudioSurf
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (I know it was even cheaper a little while ago, but I'm just in a buying mood)
Unreal Deal Pack (was going to wait because UT3 is probably going to be a daily sale, but having UT99 and UT2004 in Steam instead of needing my old CDs is enough to get it now)

$46.14 USD all up, or just over $52 Australian. I probably won't install anything but AudioSurf for now though, still haven't installed Mirror's Edge or Dead Space from the previous sale)

However my Steam is frozen on the order confirmation page, I have got the email confirming the games though so should all be cool.

EDIT: Steam has gone normal again. Just noticed that in my email from Valve Stalker is listed as "STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl (AU)", is there some Australian version of it or something? The Witcher is also listed as "The Witcher: Enhanced Edition (ROW)", what's the ROW mean?

bengraven said:
How is GTAIV on PC anyway? Did they eventually patch the issues?
Multiplayer is garbage and full of cheats. The game is playable largely. I kept running into a flash crash on one mission which bummed me out. My PC is underspec though so I can't complain.

Oh yeah I reverted to the third patch because the latest ones just fucked shit up for me. Remember to click do not keep updated in Steam options if you have similar symptoms. I think this is just the ATi cards.

bengraven said:
How is GTAIV on PC anyway? Did they eventually patch the issues?

The patches supposedly improved the game's optimization. Also, it seems like the first episode will be available soon for it, at least according to the achievements for it.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
So guys, tell me if I should get this:

Brothers in Arms Hells Highway
Unreal Deal

I need something else in here. Republic Commando? Stalker ain't my cup of tea. Torchlight is cool but will eventually bore me I am sure. I need a third thing... under 10-15. Tips?

Cheech

Torchlight
9.99 USD
The Bard's Tale
7.49 USD
Lucasarts Adventure Bundle
2.49 USD
The Elder Scrolls Game of the Year Pack Deluxe
33.74 USD
Unreal Deal
13.59 USD
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl
1.99 USD
Defense Grid: The Awakening
2.49 USD
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
13.59 USD

OUCH.

bengraven

Jesus Christ at the Eidos pack. For the price of Batman: Arkham Asylum, you get:

Batman: Arkham Asylum
Battlestations Pacific
Battlestations: Midway
Conflict: Denied Ops
Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition
Deus Ex: Invisible War
Flora's Fruit Farm
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin
Hitman: Blood Money
Hitman: Codename 47
Infernal
Just Cause
Kane and Lynch: Dead Men™
Mini Ninjas
Project: Snowblind
Rogue Trooper
Shellshock 2: Blood Trails
Thief: Deadly Shadows
Tomb Raider: Legend
Tomb Raider: Underworld

$49.99
Cost to you

$212.45
Savings

I wish to God I could afford the $50.

Visualante said:
Multiplayer is garbage and full of cheats. The game is playable largely. I kept running into a flash crash on one mission which bummed me out. My PC is underspec though so I can't complain.

I already have the 360 version, I'll just stick with that.

joesmokey

Luxor 3 - 0.99 USD
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl - 1.99 USD
Lucasarts Adventure Bundle - 2.49 USD
King's Quest Collection - 4.99 USD
Subtotal - 10.46 USD

Think I'll be buying more later, waiting to see what the other (2?) day sales are going to be.

So tempted to pick up the PoP trilogy and replay. Are the PC ports (for Sands of Time especially) any good?

RedSwirl

It took $2.49 to finally get me to accept Braid.

Anyway, I need advice on certain games guys:

Rainbow Six 3 - it's $5 now.

I've gotten a bit tired of linear, unrealistic shooters like Modern Warfare and have been looking for something a bit more strategic and open-ended. I was disappointed by the linearity of the Rainbow Six Vegas games. I also became disappointed at GRAW once I started playing the original Ghost Recon which I'm making it through at a glacial pace - on easy mode.

People tell me that the first two Rainbow Six games are are a bit too oldschool compared to modern gaming interfaces, but what about Rainbow Six 3? It was mainly played on the last gen consoles so its mechanics should still hold up enough right?

Rome: Total War - $2.49

Yeah it's basically a no-brainer at that price, but I want to know if it'll be worth my time or if it'll just frustrate me. You see, I really don't like PC RTSs where I spend most of my time keeping my people happy and harvesting dirt and crap. That's why I've stayed away from any RTS that doesn't contain either Tiberium or Zergs.

A while back when Medieval II Total war went on sale I tried the demo for that game and walked away confused. The interface wasn't hard to grasp at all, but I had no idea what was going on in the actual game space.

Some times I would lose a battle or come to a draw without knowing why. Other times I would actually win a battle with no idea exactly why. I couldn't figure out how a force counts as "routed" or "demoralized" or whatever.

Rome looks like exactly my kind of setting for a strategy game, but since there's no demo I want a description of its learning curve.

epmode

Coop said:
Does Space Quest work on Vista? I remember reading bad things about it.
Even if it doesn't, you can configure the Steam download for use with the newest version of DOSBox. It's the best way to play them, after all.

Hero

Every other competitor for download games need to follow Steam's success.

I am about to buy so many games that I wouldn't have bought normally just because they're so cheap.

Stalker for 1.99? How the fuck can I say no to that?

fresquito said:
GTA IV has SecuROM... I just realised. Not buying it. Not even at that low price. To hell with them.
There's no install limits on it, though. It's just a disc check which is omitted from the digital release I think.

RedSwirl said:
It took $2.49 to finally get me to accept Braid.

Anyway, I need advice on certain games guys:

Rainbow Six 3 - it's $5 now.

I've gotten a bit tired of linear, unrealistic shooters like Modern Warfare and have been looking for something a bit more strategic and open-ended. I was disappointed by the linearity of the Rainbow Six Vegas games. I also became disappointed at GRAW once I started playing the original Ghost Recon which I'm making it through at a glacial pace - on easy mode.

People tell me that the first two Rainbow Six games are are a bit too oldschool compared to modern gaming interfaces, but what about Rainbow Six 3? It was mainly played on the last gen consoles so its mechanics should still hold up enough right?

Rome: Total War - $2.49

Yeah it's basically a no-brainer at that price, but I want to know if it'll be worth my time or if it'll just frustrate me. You see, I really don't like PC RTSs where I spend most of my time keeping my people happy and harvesting dirt and crap. That's why I've stayed away from any RTS that doesn't contain either Tiberium or Zergs.

A while back when Medieval II Total war went on sale I tried the demo for that game and walked away confused. The interface wasn't hard to grasp at all, but I had no idea what was going on in the actual game space.

Some times I would lose a battle or come to a draw without knowing why. Other times I would actually win a battle with no idea exactly why. I couldn't figure out how a force counts as "routed" or "demoralized" or whatever.

Rome looks like exactly my kind of setting for a strategy game, but since there's no demo I want a description of its learning curve.

Get Rome: Total War. The tutorial explains all the basic things about managing your empire and your army nicely.

cory

Banned
Considering beb guse for $5.
Trying not to buy anything over $10.
So far:
Braid - $2.50
LucasArts Pack - $2.50

Blizzard

Banned
disappeared said:
Is Call of Juarez worth the $15?
In my opinion yes. See my thread on it and Mirror's Edge:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=381062

In addition to the modding stuff, I think they're both good games. :) If you're at all a fan of the old west style, it's worth a shot. Mirror's Edge is worth it no matter what unless you hate FPS games or platforming, or something. Even if you have a bad computer you can save the game after buying it, to install it when you upgrade. :p

These look interesting to me so far.
Samorost 2
Time Gentlemen, Please! and Ben There, Dan That! Double Pack

My index finger has been hovering over the buy button for The Void though..

iammeiam

Bought the LucasArts adventure pack and Void; debating going back and picking up STALKER, but I don't actually enjoy the FPS genre. The GAF thread got me curious about Void, and for $10 it seems worth the risk.

Will probably also go back and pick up Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures; $10 for a whole season? Yeesh.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
RollerCoaster Tycoon® 3: Platinum
Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway™
Rome: Total War™ - Gold

I want something else. I took out Unreal since I won't play it at all =P

GHG

Gold Member
Holy shi......

This sale is beyond insane. I'm attempting to limit my spending to £50 but it might prove impossible.

The Edios and Telltale everything packs are insane value right now. Don't own anything from either apart from Tomb Raider Underworld (which I bought only a couple of weeks ago on weekend deal).

Then there is Outrun, GTA IV, Audiosur..... etc, etc, etc. Its just insane, I can't stop adding things to my cart.

My credit card, bank account and wallet are all going to implode tonight.

:(.

And I haven't even bought xmas presents yet...

:(

Won

90%? Wow. :lol

Too bad nothing on the special deals I want or already have today. :/

Probably going to pick up the Witcher if nothing stupid goes on sale till 3rd Jan. Not so sure about The Void yet though..

Minsc

Gold Member
Picked up:

$2.49:
Braid
Defense Grid: The Awakening
Mahjong Quest III
Audiosurf

$4.99
PuzzleQuest: Challenge of the Warlords

Not bad, $15. Guess it does make sense to see what else goes on sale before making any of the more expensive purchases.

Edit: Nice, the Mahjong game is actually I, II and III! For $2.49, great deal!

I wish Risen got a deal

I only bought Jedi Academy and Rainbow Six Vegas 2 so far. I'm still holding off on machinarium hoping it will be a day deal, and if not, I'll probably get it at the devs website before the 25th.

I was also hoping for a Medal of Honor deal of some kind since the new game was announced. I'd buy Airborne PC version for $5.

Is POP: Sands of Time worth double dipping on? Does it support the 360 controller? I still have it on PS2 but it's aaaall the way on the other side of the room. I was considering it for $6.99 on GOG yesterday, now it's only $4.99.

bengraven

matrix-cat said:
Is POP: Sands of Time worth double dipping on? Does it support the 360 controller? I still have it on PS2 but it's aaaall the way on the other side of the room. I was considering it for $6.99 on GOG yesterday, now it's only $4.99.

Good reason to buy it.

Sweet! I'e got at least two people gifting me Steam games for Christmas, so its awesome the ale starts beforehand. Woot!

Absolttely everybody should get Defense Grid, Mirror's Edge and the Unreal Deal Pack, they're insane value and such awesome games.

Sciz

oh boy

Steam got me for over a hundred bucks last year. Let's see what I can keep it down to this time.

Also, Trackmania is half off yet again, which I haven't seen mentioned yet.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Wow, bought the Witcher, then noticed that it's 14+ GB.

Good thing I'm going 12 (maybe 18) Mbps next week!

I decided to wait a few days for Fallout 3. The spider sense is tingling.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
kamspy said:
So uhh,

what's the best credit card offer going right now rewards-wise......

Amex Blue Cash is what I use. If you put a lot on it it's the best cash-back card.

vermadas

This.. this is amazing. And damning. How will I be able to resist buying more games I won't have time to play :lol

Considering...
Zeno Clash - $7.49
Trine - $7.99 (I resisted at $10, but $8...)
Borderlands: Zombie Island DLC - $6.69 (was planning on skipping this, but it's cheap!)
Serious Sam HD 14.99 (could this go lower?)

How are those Bookworm Adventures games? I think it's something my wife might enjoy. I don't think I've read anything about them here, but I vaguely remember Tycho at PA mentioning them...

Top Bottom