• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2017 - Magical Pyres can't melt Cold Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hektor

The script of XII is clearly been reworked quite a few times and Vaan wasn't meant to be the big focus he ended up being, they didn't change the story and other characters enough to make it sensible. So by the second half, your "protagonist" feels like the sixth wheel or something.

Vaan's entire character arc is basically finished in the first three hours
and penelo never had one to begin with

Vaan is important in the sense that he's the guy that asks all of the questions regarding the land & lore. He presents an outsider point-of-view that helps with world-building.

The good news is that it should get addressed quicker than an isolated incident.

I just hope it wont take some days. Actually wanted to finish Danganronpa Despair Girls today evening.

Edit: Seems the previous Steam version still works. Must really have been the update causing the issues.

Wok

I don't get it. According to OpenCritic, Chess Ultra is the best PC game of 2017 so far.

Yet the reviews on Steam are merely "quite positive" (with a 73% score).

Moreover, the game is developped by Ripstone, which released another similar game with mixed reviews last year. Pure Chess in 2016, Chess Ultra in 2017, I hope they don't have a plan for Hyper Chess in 2018... Also, the 2016 edition had trading cards, but the 2017 edition does not...

So, what's up with that?

MUnited83

For you.
I don't get it. According to OpenCritic, Chess Ultra is the best PC game of 2017 so far.

Yet the reviews on Steam are merely "quite positive" (with a 73% score).

Moreover, the game is developped by Ripstone, which released another similar game with mixed reviews last year. Pure Chess in 2016, Chess Ultra in 2017, I hope they don't have a plan for Hyper Chess in 2018... Also, the 2016 edition had trading cards, but the 2017 edition does not...

So, what's up with that?

Steam reviewers can get fixated with really weird nitpicks + the game only has around 40 steam reviews so the current percentage of positive reviews is hardly representative of anything.

Ucchedavāda;243154407 said:
All it does is encourage joke reviews, making the whole thing even less helpful.

One of the reasons why I write less Steam reviews than I used to is because Valve messes with reviews that get a lot of "Funny" votes.

For example
http://steamcommunity.com/id/pepsimanvsjoe/recommended/9930

My review for Test Drive Unlimited 2 used to have between 800 and 1000 helpful votes and would make big gains every time the game went on sale. For whatever reason, a ton of votes were removed. Now it's been buried.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/pepsimanvsjoe/recommended/282900/
Neptunia Re;birth1 review. Same story.

Sure, they're just meaningless votes, but eh...it's still a head-scratcher.

Tizoc

:S My net issue is either my ISP or Router def. I have a TP-Link TD-W8980.
iT'S on oldie but It should be able to handle 16 MBPS connections fine. Gonna check what the issue is through their branch nearby.

Annubis

One of the reasons why I write less Steam reviews than I used to is because Valve messes with reviews that get a lot of "Funny" votes.

For example
http://steamcommunity.com/id/pepsimanvsjoe/recommended/9930

My review for Test Drive Unlimited 2 used to have between 800 and 1000 helpful votes and would make big gains every time the game went on sale. For whatever reason, a ton of votes were removed. Now it's been buried.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/pepsimanvsjoe/recommended/282900/
Neptunia Re;birth1 review. Same story.

Sure, they're just meaningless votes, but eh...it's still a head-scratcher.

I wrote two reviews and neither got any kind of feedback from others =(
Zilch, nothing, nada

They were helpful reviews too.

Why HunnyPop of course ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

S1l7FXm.gif

I wrote two reviews and neither got any kind of feedback from others =(
Zilch, nothing, nada

They were helpful reviews too.

Well...it's a pretty aggravating system.
The Re;birth 1 review took off like a rocket, but the numbers I got for reviewing parts 2 & 3 were pitiful. Furthermore, out of the near 250 reviews I've done, most of them never get past 20 up-votes.

It mostly comes down to luck & timing. If you can't post a review for a game on the first day or two, then consider waiting for a Steam sale, and then post it.

Mivey

Vaan is important in the sense that he's the guy that asks all of the questions regarding the land & lore. He presents an outsider point-of-view that helps with world-building.
I liked the Codex in Mass Effect. I don't want the Codex to be a small kid with razor edge abs running around and stealing time from FemShep. I would love to say more about Vaan than "kid with those weirds abs (in the PS2 version)", but there is nothing else noteworthy.
I guess he becomes a Sky pirate in the future or whatever, but that doesn't make him more interesting in XII.

Tonton

Getting an error trying to play Gurumin saying "Steam must be running to play this game"
Only Steam is running, I even launched it from there

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Might and Magic Clash of Heroes is one I strongly recommend. Note that it starts out slow but when you are in the battles, the matching is quite fun as you try to wrack up a strong offensive ;)

Oh yeah, totally forgot about that one, great game!

Might and Magic Clash of Heroes is one I strongly recommend. Note that it starts out slow but when you are in the battles, the matching is quite fun as you try to wrack up a strong offensive ;)

+1 for Clash of Heroes, it's such a great game.

With luck they'll make a sequel for that some day.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
There is a new Cubic Bundle that has a few good games in it for $1.

I am particularly fond of the 12 Labours of Hercules games, and the first three games in the series are included here.

Arthea

Best match-3 games on Steam ?

my favourites:

Puzzle Quest Challenge of Warlords - GOAT, it's not just a match three game, it's a game that started all RPG match3 combat craze, and it is still the best one

Bejeweled 3 - undying classics, unfortunately doesn't work with win 10 at all, maybe you'll be more lucky, I can't make it work

M&M: Clash of heroes, original, fun, lengthy, not easy, simply great

less known: Zuma's Revenge! not really match3 but match anyway, but you know Zuma, one of most hardcore games, like IDK why it is so hard, but it totally is

Hell Girls, my recent acquisition and inspite of questionable fanservice, it's totally not needed in that game, it was fun

Tripple Town, oldie but goodie

10 000 000 and You hate to build a boat - hysterical

4 Elements - also classic

Super Star Path - shmup and match3 mix, not particularly good but interesting

7 wonders, also classic

there are more, but these first that come to mind

Grief.exe

This sounds similar to Recettear.

http://www.pcgamer.com/minekos-night-market-is-a-gorgeous-adventure-based-on-japanese-folklore/

You play as a girl called Mineko, who moves to a suspicious Japanese island overrun with tricksy felines. To make a living, you run a nightly market stall and spend your days foraging and crafting items to sell to the townspeople. Once you’ve made some dough, you can explore the market itself, eating strange food, picking up collectables and playing a variety of minigames.

“We brainstormed a simple resource gathering by day, market selling by night mechanic. As we experimented, we realised there was a richer story emerging, so we started over and put narrative and exploration at the forefront.”

So it’s not all haggling with the locals. You’ll also be tasked with discovering the secrets of your new home and exploring parts of the island as they unlock with the passing seasons. Each location will offer special things to do and people to meet who’ll task you with important quests.

aYgDyhWJgv8CqqCuhkrSbC-650-80.jpg

p6W8W2eBbRFBDo4VVM5NcC-650-80.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom