• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe Season 2 |OT| Obama chuckled. "You mean the Crystal Gems?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really liking the change of pace for this arc. Episodes starting right where the last one ended. Although this was very much a lighthearted episode, I was surprised at some of the themes they pushed using Peridot as a catalyst. Having this Gemworld character directly address lore and having Steven react to it is such a fascinating perspective to see this show. Plus, this episode had giant robots that ended up fighting. How can you not love that?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Also if it wasn't obvious already I think this episode is the final piece of proof that Peridot is on a redemption arc. The show has always been very very good about its facial details, and Peridot's expressions at the end are deliberate:
DhmAprV.png

That's not just someone who's upset, there's absolutely doubt there

I think its more like a strict Cast system

I think it's both.

Sure, there seems to be a strict class system in play here. But the thing is that PDot doesn't just see Pearl as someone who can't be better than her at tech shit ... she thinks she can't be beater than her at ALL, she seems to see Pearls as "less than gem". It reminds me very much of how white people historical saw black people here in America at least.

But this is interesting in that every family of gems seems to be made to fulfill a certain role for the powers that be or w/e ... and gems don't need to eat-drink-sleep-need "homes" like humans do or w/e so what could a "servant" class slave really do for someone?

Exactly what PDot listed off, stand around/ look pretty/ hold things/ be shown off. Basically, it seems like slavery in gem culture is more like them being treated like Toys to show off or do w/e you want with and are reserved for the higher regarded classes to order.

Also if it wasn't obvious already I think this episode is the final piece of proof that Peridot is on a redemption arc. The show has always been very very good about its facial details, and Peridot's expressions at the end are deliberate:
DhmAprV.png

That's not just someone who's upset, there's absolutely doubt there

It's a conversion arc, not a redemption.

She's seeing how the world the CGs fought for is different than the one she knows. She's seeing how they value friendship/ family over feats of strength/ power, how gems can grow and change.

Then, after letting all that roll around in her head for a bit, she approaches Pearl with friendship as equals.

PK Gaming

Jesus christ that episode was absolutely fantastic

asdfsghsghg I almost can't handle how happy this show makes me

I love Steven Universe

zulux21

so....
if peridot is actually part of the main cast at this point....
this will make two beloved kids shows that adds a character that is fond of the color green to the main cast at around the same point.

toph episode 6/20 of season 2 of avatar 30% into the season.
peridot episode 18/52 of season 2 of SU 34% into the season.

with avatar the episodes as twice as long which technically means it covers 30-35% of the series :p

coincidences are fun lol.

she has a new outfit there

It looks a bit like Amethyst's. Given it's apparently at Kindergarten, I wonder if they fused. Or poofed, at least.

Also, speaking of which (conjecture):
given the overall fusion theme in S2, I'm thinking the endgame of Peridot's conversion arc is fusing with someone. In fact, I think one of the main reasons inter-gem fusion was prohibited and demonized by the "Diamond Authority" wasn't because of some tactical advantage - it's because it would be a way to introduce concepts like empathy and perspective to what were once fully thoughtless, autonomous castes. Consider especially situations like Pearl fusions.

Mr Swine

Banned
Fantastic episode! Really love that Pearl and Peridot had to one up each other to show who had the best robot :) Glad that both are Going to develop/create the Drill :3

I am so happy that Pearl showed that she is nobody to mess around with! :D

But even so I still don't trust Peridot that much, how do we know she won't betray the CG at the very core of the planet?

KiN0

Fantastic episode! Really love that Pearl and Peridot had to one up each other to show who had the best robot :) Glad that both are Going to develop/create the Drill :3

I am so happy that Pearl showed that she is nobody to mess around with! :D

But even so I still don't trust Peridot that much, how do we know she won't betray the CG at the very core of the planet?

Unless YD shows up to save her, she has no choice but to go along with the CGs. The cluster will wipe out the planet if it wakes up.

Opto

Banned
Homeworld seems to follow a "Victory above everything" motto based on Peridot's confusion after the fight. I wonder if we'll ever see Homeworld? Probably not until the show is ready to end though.

That kind of felt like they took a whole episode to tell us things we already kinda knew.

Also if the Pearl we know is anything to go by, Home World is wasting a huge resource in squandering the capabilities of their pearls.

zulux21

Homeworld seems to follow a "Victory above everything" motto based on Peridot's confusion after the fight. I wonder if we'll ever see Homeworld? Probably not until the show is ready to end though.

im still predicting a, defend against YD, discover there is a bigger threat, work with YD to take out bigger threat going between home planet (is it actually called earth?) and homeworld, go out for pizza ending :p

Psxphile

That kind of felt like they took a whole episode to tell us things we already kinda knew.
Maybe. But not everyone comes to the same conclusions, so the show going out of its way to solidify background lore is appreciated.

im still predicting a, defend against YD, discover there is a bigger threat, work with YD to take out bigger threat going between home planet (is it actually called earth?) and homeworld, go out for pizza ending :p

It's called that in the extended intro song, so...

Unless YD shows up to save her, she has no choice but to go along with the CGs. The cluster will wipe out the planet if it wakes up.

If she could find a way to take both out, I'm sure she'd at least have it cross her mind. That way she can go home without having to say "I destroyed the cluster, sry bout that." She could say " BUT I disposed of the Rebels left on earth!"

"What a cluster..."

Uh huh.

Did I care more for that TV then Steven did?

This is minor, but Peridot rips the microwave down and smashes it, then as soon as it cuts to the Gems for Amethyst to say "Classic Steven.", it's right there hanging from the cabinets.

Dryk

Do you think the use of ✮GIANT ROBOTS✮ in the
"Pearls are customisable slaves" reveal
episode was intentional considering the term's etymology?

Hamlet

Fantastic episode yet again. Nice to get some more solid info on Pearl and learn a tad more about the homeworld. Steven was hilarious in this episode, loved his cluster puppet show.
Also talk about a mighty punch. Go Pearl.

Ruuppa

So much info-dumping in that episode. Explains some things about why Pearl is like Pearl is. This show is awesome at telling a wider story like that, loving it so much.

Also, Steven loves Giant Robots. Something we have in common.

Hamlet

I'm legit shook that CN OK'd that full contact punch. I assumed that wouldn't ever be OK to have on an animated show in that timeslot.

I'm pretty sure the punches in shows like Teen Titans are always the cutaway type of punches where you don't actually see fists making contact. Also, they rarely if ever leave bruises as well.

CN seems to be fine with showing stuff like that. Adventure Time shows bruises quite often. There was even an Adventure Time episode(Who Would Win) which pretty had Finn and Jake beating the hell out of each other up for most of the episode and gradually getting more and more bruised.

PaulloDEC

Another wonderful episode. Loads of big laughs, but with some great lore and emotional bits too.

I loved that Pearl didn't get too caught up in things this week. It's becoming common for her to have minor breakdowns, but she handled Peridot well this time, both before and after the big fight.

I'm legit shook that CN OK'd that full contact punch. I assumed that wouldn't ever be OK to have on an animated show in that timeslot.

I remember the showrunner on MLP once mentioning a note from on-high that "We cannot show Twilight punch Tirek (a villain) in the face". I guess different networks and production studios treat that stuff differently.

dity

Oh my god oh my gooooood that was SUCH a good episode.

Findout about about Pearl's original purpose, getting some insight into how gen culture works, seeing how cute Peael was at the end, giant fighting robots. The BEEESSSTT.

Also I noticed how when Peridot won she wondered why everyone wasn't bowing to her as "the natural leader". We were discussing this some pages ago. What a coincidence that was. Yellow Diamond really must be super strong.

Sponge

Banned
I'm not sure if this has been asked already but it got me thinking. If Peridot was able to make a robot out of some parts from the barn, how can she not build a ship that gets her back to homeworld? Maybe I'm missing something.

Then again, Pearl couldn't make a working ship either.

Interesting that Paradox was not evil, but working for Jasper who was evil. She is pretty much Vegeta.

Edit: The tree getting a point made me laugh.

dity

I'm not sure if this has been asked already but it got me thinking. If Peridot was able to make a robot out of some parts from the barn, how can she not build a ship that gets her back to homeworld? Maybe I'm missing something.
Probably too scared to go near human structures?

Maybe space travel is way harder than building a robot, heck we humans already are having a giant robot fight in real life next year but we're still not capable of interplanetary space travel

Hamlet

Maybe the time factor could be an issue for her. Pearl did say that it was going to take her around 50 years or so to get to the nearest star system in the ship she built and the Homeworld might be even further out than that.
Then again Lapis got out there pretty fast.

Maybe the time factor might be an issue for her. Pearl did say that it was going to take her around 50 years or so to get to the nearest star system in the ship she built and the Homeworld might be even further out than that.

That probably means they dont have something close to light speed travel yet, considering alpha centauri is only 4 light years away. Although I'm not sure how lapis got back since she didn't even have a ship.
Maybe there's a portal on the moon, judging by the episode title back to the moon
?

The Adder

Banned
That probably means they dont have something close to light speed travel yet, considering alpha centauri is only 4 light years away. Although I'm not sure how lapis got back since she didn't even have a ship.
Maybe there's a portal on the moon, judging by the episode title back to the moon
?

Couple of options.

Nearby extra terrestrial portal.

Her flight powers are flight in atmosphere and warp in space.

She got grabbed by Peridot and Jasper en route.

dity

What if gem spaceships use a giant warp pad. Or technology similar to it? That might be their speed of light travel.

Man Pearl is my favorite. She was so good this episode, I'm glad she was confident about her abilities. With the way Peridot was antagonizing her I half expected her to start believing that she isn't as amazing as she is. The back story about the Pearls on Homeland was expected but still exciting to have confirmed, and Steven is right, it's amazing how much Pearl has been able to grow considering what she was made for.

Her robot pilot suit was also super cute.

"giant robots shouldn't fight!" Was so perfectly delivered too

dity

Man Pearl is my favorite. She was so good this episode, I'm glad she was confident about her abilities. With the way Peridot was antagonizing her I half expected her to start believing that she isn't as amazing as she is. The back story about the Pearls on Homeland was expected but still exciting to have confirmed, and Steven is right, it's amazing how much Pearl has been able to grow considering what she was made for.

Yes, I'm glad we finally got a strong episode supportive of Pearl. Pearl is usually in the deep of something controversial lately so I was so happy to see her being supported and feeling embarrassed. Amethyst asking to do things with at the end as the episode ended up super important I think Everyone is forgiving her and seeing that she's changing.

Her robot pilot suit was also super cute.

YES!

NEO0MJ

Something just occurred to me. Earth was considered an unsuitable kindergarten according to Peridot, probably because the resulting gems weren't up to par with their intended function. It seems Amy was meant to be a warrior type gem like Jasper but came short, which is why she was called a runt.

Something just occurred to me. Earth was considered an unsuitable kindergarten according to Peridot, probably because the resulting gems weren't up to par with their intended function. It seems Amy was meant to be a warrior type gem like Jasper but came short, which is why she was called a runt.
Ha

She came up short.

Weiss

Banned

I'm thinking Earth being "unsuitable" is just Homeworld's way of whitewashing their loss to the rebellion. Peridot wasn't even aware of the Crystal Gems before she first saw them.

NEO0MJ

Ha

She came up short.

I didn't intend to put that pun there, it happened naturally!

I'm thinking Earth being "unsuitable" is just Homeworld's way of whitewashing their loss to the rebellion. Peridot wasn't even aware of the Crystal Gems before she first saw them.

We don't even know how it ended yet. I don't think homeworld really lost so much as they thought it wasn't worth going back there now that the rebellion ended and the cluster is secure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom