• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter : 3rd Strike SUPER appreciation thread

haunts

Bacon of Hope
jobber said:
Why does it seem like I'm the only one that doesn't have a hard time vs. Dudley and good players. Perhaps all those rounds vs. Barlog in SF2 has taught me something..

*waits for the influx of "I can beat you with Dudley" post*

what kind of problems are you having and what character are you using? Dudley can be a tough fight. He does a ton of damage in just a single combo.

Oro_Akuma

First of all, I want to thank LakeEarth for posting this great thread with the moves and pictures(where did you get them?). I played SFI a few times in the late 80's and was fascinated with the blue fireballs Ryu & Ken did but couldn't really do them. Then in the 90's SFII came out and I loved playing it, learning guile's invisible throw,chain,reset at that arcade on Market St. facing the Hibernia Bank next to the Strip joint 'Cinema' in San Francisco. SFII Champion Edition came out and I was even more excited playing it at 7-11, never really got good at it, but managed to buy it for my Turbografx16 and SuperNintendo and got the $99 MAS joystick that worked for them plus the Sega Genesis I never owned but should have for Altered Beast. I missed out on the Sega Saturn and really regret it now since it had all those great SF games even SFIII 2nd Impact that wasn't even available for PS2 anywhere in the world and should've been included in the SF Anniversary Edition game that I currently have despite not owning a PlayStation 2. Currently, I'm contemplating on getting the PS3 for BluRay DVD and in hopes SF4 comes out for it. :)

LakeEarth

Something from the cosplay thread.

Elena.jpg

That's right, ELENA cosplay. Amazing.

Nikashi

Banned
Hey LakeEarth.

I can beat you with Dudley :)

Jobber,

I can beat you with ANYONE in DOA 4 :D

(And we can play online as soon as someone tells me how to temporarily disable a softmod so I can play online. I have a legal copy of the game, natch.)

Oro_Akuma

LakeEarth, you never cease to amaze! My god, that Japanese woman looks so good as Elena it's uncanny. Makes me conjure up images of hot Japanese women dressing up as Chun Li, Makoto, Ibuki, Cammy, Sakura, Karin, Mika, Poison,etc... Now, where to find these pics. If only a bunch of them dressed up together for a group shot. I've always wanted to dress up as Akuma for Halloween and head up to the Castro in San Francisco, don't think it'll ever happen unless some company starts making Street Fighter costumes and accessories. Speaking of making money off of StreetFighter, wouldn't it be great if in every major city there was an arcade only for this game and weekly, monthly and yearly competitions were held?:lol

Amakusa

LakeEarth said:
Something from the cosplay thread.

Elena.jpg

That's right, ELENA cosplay. Amazing.

Let me wipe the drool from my mouth and count my ABC's backwards. Damn thats hot :D
MORE COSPLAY!

oracrest

oh man , i love this game....

and I have never been much of a fan of fighting games before, a little soul calibur here and there, but otherwise, nada...

however, this game has something that evens the playing field.... the parry. one of the best design features in a fighting game that I have seen so far. It works perfect.

I started with Elena when I began playing, and then moved onto Hugo (for the sole reason that Im also a final fight fan) which is who I am best at, and lately I have been trying to figure out Urien. Such a fun game......

does anybody know where i can get a decent size image of Hugo in the famous king kong poster pose (its also on his door to the far left of his level in third strike)

LakeEarth

Wow, I can't believe this thread was bumped so many times and I kept missing it.

Nikashi said:
Hey LakeEarth.

I can beat you with Dudley :)
It is true that you knocked me out of the first Live GAF Tourney... but that was like a year ago :D

And for match vids, just go to google video and youtube and type in 3rd Strike, there are tons of them. There is a lot of battles where its just some sucky kids that decided to put up their vid, but there are some good ones there too.

Here's a decent ranking battle, which is where the various japanese players play each other every few weeks or so.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2900157403500195889&q=3rd+strike

If you care about player names, here's the ones you should know:

Japan
Umehara Daigo - the one most people know, the man who did that parry vid that was all the rage a few years ago. Excellent Ken player, has that rare ability to read his opponent and know what he's going to do next even when the opponent think he's mixing it up.
K.O. - My opinion, the best player out there. Insane Yun, Yang, and I've seen him rape with Dudley too. Excellent execution, quick thinking, just the best.
YSB and Hayao - two of the greatest Hugos out there
TK and Kuroda - Best Q players
AFM - I hate Chunners but I have to admit his Chun is the best I've seen.
J - insane Makoto, never seen someone all out rape so consistantly
Sugiyama and PinoAB7 - great, great Necros, which is rare
Aruka - An incredible Ibuki player, what the hell?
RX - most consistant Urien I've ever seen
KSK - the only Alex player I've seen beat any of the names above. Alex might be middle tier but he is hard to win with.

US
Justin Wong - unbeatable at MvC2, but he's also a very good Chunner, though EXTREMELY boring to watch since his Chun is pure turtle style (never ever attacks). Heard he's started playing Yun so maybe that'll start to change.
Pyrolee - Pretty much the best Yun in the US
Sextaro - A great Makoto

haunts

Bacon of Hope
hey d00dz, ill be in california next week at Sunnyvale Golfland to get some 3s in. Do any of you live in that area and want some games?

ps: lakeEarth you forgot my name on that list.

pss: fuck xbox live.

Dammit this thread has me all pissed off about Dreamcast just by looking at a couple of character artworks :( :( I have to go read ukresistance a little bit and cool off. Where's DCharlie when I need him for a hug

LakeEarth said:
Wow, I can't believe this thread was bumped so many times and I kept missing it.

It is true that you knocked me out of the first Live GAF Tourney... but that was like a year ago :D

And for match vids, just go to google video and youtube and type in 3rd Strike, there are tons of them. There is a lot of battles where its just some sucky kids that decided to put up their vid, but there are some good ones there too.

Here's a decent ranking battle, which is where the various japanese players play each other every few weeks or so.

Japan
Umehara Daigo - the one most people know, the man who did that parry vid that was all the rage a few years ago. Excellent Ken player, has that rare ability to read his opponent and know what he's going to do next even when the opponent think he's mixing it up.
K.O. - My opinion, the best player out there. Insane Yun, Yang, and I've seen him rape with Dudley too. Excellent execution, quick thinking, just the best.
KSK - the only Alex player I've seen beat any of the names above. Alex might be middle tier but he is hard to win with.

US
Justin Wong - unbeatable at MvC2, but he's also a very good Chunner, though EXTREMELY boring to watch since his Chun is pure turtle style (never ever attacks). Heard he's started playing Yun so maybe that'll start to change.
Sextaro - A great Makoto

Daigo is my hero (I love Ken too much), KSK is amazing and anyone who uses Chun Li is annoying. Why don't you leave the corner Chun??

RumFore

Banned
I remember me and a bud cut school and road a city bus for nearly two hours then walked another 1/2 hour to go play Street Fighter 3 the week it was out. We wasted tons of money trying to beat Gill. I got so hooked I dreamt about the game that night. Man it was good times in the arcade days of 2D fighters. My sole complaint was that they ditched to many classic fighters like Sagat, Guile and Blanka without adding suitable alternatives.

Oh Yeah!
capcom0894ze.jpg

LakeEarth said:

Japan

US
Sextaro - A great Makoto

KO and RX were BEASTS. Frighteningly good at getting maximum damage from any mistake.

LakeEarth said:
I know its a busy time for a bump, but I wanted to share this Dudley SAII (Rolling Thunder) strat video. Its got me into playing Dudley now! The other two supers are still better, but man Rolling is more awesome then I thought, you can hit confirm it from such a huge distance. Great stun too.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=337638442059919079

Note : If under a punishment situation (say a whiffed SRK), don't use the super, do a hk->EX Machine Gun Blow, as it'll do about 70% of the same damage and only use one EX. You want that super loaded up to punish moves that are usually safe.

So now the only character I have no clue what I'm doing when I fight as her is Elena. I'm actually winning with Dudley, its pretty sweet!

I thought i had started up a garth brooks mp3 at first till i noticed what song it was and it clicked. horrible match of song and video.

If dudley could still have meter for EX mgb combos and still be able to do rolling thunder then it would be fine. No meter for B&B EX MGB's sucks. Chun gets two levels for her super why can't dudley get two for his uber super? If you want good dudley vids then search the dudley section at shoryuken.com for the dudley filefront link.

P.S.

Where is this game for the PSP???

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Mr. Rellik said:
Where is this game for the PSP???
My word... if this happened, I think I would convulse and die from sheer glee.

Although if they were gonna do this, hopefully they'd ship with another little d-pad adjustment thingamy... I can put up with the analogue nub for Alpha 3 and GGXX, but probably not 3S =(

LakeEarth

I'm sure if Alpha 3 sells well, 3rd Strike is the next Capcom step.

And yeah, not having EX for your B&B combos does suck. If you're main is Dudley, you should learn SAI or SAIII for sure. However, if you're like me and enjoy getting decent at every character in the game, or just trying to get Dudley's basics down, SAII is not horrible. So if you do play Rolling Thunder, use your EX when the opportunity comes around, cause unlike Ryu SAII or Alex's Hyperbomb, the bar is short enough and Dudley builds meter fast enough that you can get that filled and still use EX when you need it (kinda like how Frankie3S uses Ryu SAIII). Its fine for mid-level play.

gimz

just a question about 3rd strike on Xbox Live
when you guys play it on live, does your game feel lag or delay?
cuz everytime when i play i have about 1 second delay, and it really bugs me cuz i can't really parry anything...
just wondering if its the same to everything

negitoro7

gimz said:
just a question about 3rd strike on Xbox Live
when you guys play it on live, does your game feel lag or delay?
cuz everytime when i play i have about 1 second delay, and it really bugs me cuz i can't really parry anything...
just wondering if its the same to everything

About 75% of my matches are almost lag free. Like I know there's miniscule lag but not enough to affect me significantly. It isn't perfect, but it's good enough for online fun. I haven't played in a few months though, dunno if the lag's still the same or not.

gimz

negitoro7 said:
About 75% of my matches are almost lag free. Like I know there's miniscule lag but not enough to affect me significantly. It isn't perfect, but it's good enough for online fun. I haven't played in a few months though, dunno if the lag's still the same or not.
really, maybe its my connection problem then... because the delay really bugs me, when i press a button i always need to wait .5 to 1 sec for it to take action :/

LakeEarth

That's weird. Some games do get that bad, but for the most part the lag isn't so bad. Usually you can tell how good the connection is by how easy it is to choose your character. Though everytime I'm gonna play online I reset my modem and put the Xbox connection straight into the modem.

gimz

LakeEarth said:
That's weird. Some games do get that bad, but for the most part the lag isn't so bad. Usually you can tell how good the connection is by how easy it is to choose your character. Though everytime I'm gonna play online I reset my modem and put the Xbox connection straight into the modem.
ahh maybe thats the problem, because i'm using a hub to share the internet connection with another 2 computers...

Oro_Akuma

I just read in a men's magazine about this guy who customizes great 6-8 button controllers with great SF artwork for tournaments or ppl who can afford it. Now, if only more companies could make similar things esp. more six button controllers for us to choose from instead of those stupid Nubytech ones, I'd be happy. If only they would hold monthly contest for the best design.
Street Fighter Stik1.jpg

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
^ Is that Byrdo's work? If not, looks very similar - that guy really has talent. I'm not too familiar with arcade surplus, let alone custom-made sticks, but I highly recommend any of you to check out his site.

Such clean design and crafting! I can't even use a paddle and I want one ^^;

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Cry. We had a power failure on Friday and it fried the battery in our SF3: Third Strike cabinet. Now we have to buy a new cart. Anyone got any leads?

LakeEarth

Nice arcade sticks. I was trying to order a custom off of the QCF guys, but they stopped talking to me soon after I came up with my order. I dunno what I did to bug them, but whatever.

LakeEarth

I was gonna contact Finkle for the arcade stick but through someone's recommendation i went with QFC/Nasci. I considered contacting Finkle, I dunno if I should bother get a custom for the Xbox now that you KNOW 3rd Strike will come to XBLA eventually. Plus I'm so accustomed to the pad, it'd take me at least a year to re-teach myself to use the stick.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
LakeEarth said:
I was gonna contact Finkle for the arcade stick but through someone's recommendation i went with QFC/Nasci. I considered contacting Finkle, I dunno if I should bother get a custom for the Xbox now that you KNOW 3rd Strike will come to XBLA eventually. Plus I'm so accustomed to the pad, it'd take me at least a year to re-teach myself to use the stick.

If Hyper Fighting is any indication it's gonna be years and years from now :/

LakeEarth

Fatghost28 said:
If Hyper Fighting is any indication it's gonna be years and years from now :/
And Capcom will hire the most incompetent developer in the world to port it. I mean, the guys they hired were able to **** up a port of a 15 year old game to the most advanced console commercially available, with a shitty shitty netcode (and SFII has already had versions of it online, so its not like it can't be done). Honestly Capcom, if its gonna suck, scrap it and try again.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
LakeEarth said:
And Capcom will hire the most incompetent developer in the world to port it.

Yeah :/

Can I send some money to someone to just make SFAC work on 360? We already got a perfect online port of 3rd Strike, I just don't think the lightning is going to strike twice.

:/

Oro_Akuma said:
I just read in a men's magazine about this guy who customizes great 6-8 button controllers with great SF artwork for tournaments or ppl who can afford it. Now, if only more companies could make similar things esp. more six button controllers for us to choose from instead of those stupid Nubytech ones, I'd be happy. If only they would hold monthly contest for the best design.
Street Fighter Stik1.jpg

All those joysticks, especially this one looks damn sweet!

Awesome thread, I'm not a SFIII player, but I loved reading the character bios. I like to know the tiers in all the fighting games.

It would be nice to get Street Fighter Anniversary Collection on the Wii at last ... with the retro controller it certainly would be nice and go with the whole retro vibe that Nintendo is doing with the Wii (Street Fighter and Nintendo were synonmous for a while in the 90s, even though the Genny got some ports).

I want a real full fledged version of SFIII with ALL the different arcade backgrounds from all the different versions (ditto for SF2) ... with all the space on a DVD, surely this shouldn't be much of a problem.

karasu

Finkle's sticks rule. I've used mine practically everyday since I've had it and there hasn't been a single problem.

IMG_2211.jpg

(not SF art, sue me)

Oro_Akuma

I had no idea so many ppl out there were into custom making their own joysticks using ps1 controller parts, wood pieces, artwork printed on vinyl, plastic, and soldering. Here's a link to the folks at shoryuken who have more links for this hobby.

I liked the art on this controller which features my favorite character Akuma. I'm surprised that nobody so far has added neon lights, flashing lights, animated lcd's, or transparent light up buttons and sound effects when the buttons are pressed. Sorry folks, looks like this dreamer has gone overkill here. Damn, might as well keep going huh? Build the joystick box up high so there's a shelf to sit your ps2,ps3, whatever console. I can imagine future manufacturers building TV plugin arcade sticks with SF3:third strike or other SF games built-in with HDMI out to LCD or Plasma TVs. Let's face it, most of us only play Street Fighter games anyway and so far Third Strike is the best!
f9bb6717.jpg

This art was great with some characters in circles. Inspires me to want one with all 15 Thirdstrike characters in small circles and Akuma on the left side huge as life. I'd also like to have a dust cover vinyl over the buttons with artwork to complete the whole pic or maybe a hinged piece of wood with artwork as a dust cover. Maybe even set a side a small compartment for storing the joystick after unscrewing it.
f9f6ef87.jpg

Top Bottom