• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist Released, Entire Series Available Now

Phades

I didn't expect Ono to be in this at all. Really threw me for a loop lol.

Well, he does know a fighter when he sees one. Right? ^_^

That's not what a hadoken is though.

They even made it a point to show how hard it was for Ryu and Ken to make it last and go far.

Hence the joke with dan. Although, they did show 2 different ki burst moves off of a flat palm strike/placement.
The most notable being from Gotetsu vs Gouki on the tree. The other being Gouken tending to Ryu suggesting branching methods of use

Watched the entire series with a friend last sunday. I don't think I've ever seen a couple hours more packed with details, continuity nods, winks and all around love as this. Ken was simply perfect, but everyone else was great too. Special effects were intelligently done, fights were very reminiscent of the semi-realistic style of the original SF2 anime movie, while, again, being full of stances and moves from the games... it was everything a fan could ever hope for.

vg260

Got to eat a little crow on this. I was expecting the worst, but watched it this weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. Really, really well done.

Yeah, many things are silly, but something with fantastical elements will always be in live-action. The rest of it being handled in a non-comical way with obvious appreciation for the material made me not care about those. Felt like an old-school kung-fu movie in a lot of ways.

do it

Just your favorite 5

Just sat through my second viewing of the season and notice young when he fights with young akuma does his one legged dash, trap then palm strike (forgive me I don't know the names of his moves).

Also I somehow missed Ono getting KO'd by a shot and falling on his back in the club lol.

Just finished it...so good. Please tell me there's going to be another season.

Producers are in talks with Capcom :)

Just finished it...so good. Please tell me there's going to be another season.

he had the World Warrior written before this prequel

plus there was an interview hinting that things maybe in motion already.

Hope it's true. Like others have said I don't want to wait another 3 years, but I'm more than willing to if the final product matches or exceeds the amount of care that has been put into this series

Just here to echo everyone else's thoughts. Surpassed my expectations, amazing adaptation, love the nods to game and I hope there's another season.

This absolutely blew me away. I remembered Street Fighter Legacy, but this is far superior to even that.

They took a backstory that was legitimately corny and gave it real gravitas and meaning.

Gouken is infinitely more tragic now to me. Iwantmoar

I wonder if they'll keep the flashback/present time format. If they do The World Warrior next they can perhaps show some of the Alpha events in flashbacks.

Any martial artists here? Ryu has issued you a challenge https://www.facebook.com/OfficialMikeMoh/posts/804985462845488

cool comparison shot, SF3 art but the resemblance is uncanny
R0gIxdb.jpg

Seyavesh

do it

Just your favorite 5

i'll do some but idk how to do this without specifically making my post unbelievably monstrously huge so whatever

the exchanges are real fight-y so it's not always just one at a time so i'll do 3 tiny bits i picked out randomly

firstly, you will see ken doing a lot of any of these. like. all the time. dude loves him some crazy kicks and they're basically his signature normals unique to him which is awesome:
WXcfpwp.gif

ok, here goes:

cilp one said:
isucC1Bm85UGD.gif

he starts off with a fake overhead kick, which causes ryu to flinch and block:
g4lkz7c.gif

then goes into reverse st shoto's far. hk (or crazy kick, hard to tell), which is something both him and ryu use alot in the fights:
u5wQp7Z.gif

then into one of his crazy kicks (that gets blocked, so it's hard to see the full thing but he does the spin and it's a higher hitting one than his st.hk which he also does but im not covering it)
ihPzBZT.gif

clip 2 said:
this one's just a favorite because i can't believe they actually snuck it in somehow:
iVZMumAt8Ki3n.gif

this is ken doing the legendary shoto sweep (cr.HK):
UQ40npe.gif

and then ryu jumping it into a shoto j.LK, which is just unreal that they snuck that in somehow, even though it looks pretty silly
mNbIGbO.gif

clip 3 said:
i5pqPu1LiH82E.gif

ryu is pretty obviously parrying (both ways! which you rarely see):
SDgaGqx.gif

UjStEHS.gif

ken does his 3s close standing mp into a standing lk (i think! it's a bit weird looking) into a backhand that i've never seen before doing doing another crazy kick:
OOwi9fB.gif

NFrVJkW.gif

g3H46Qs.gif

in ryu's punching section he is basically going through all his standing punch buttons (jabs into sf2 mp into sfa mp into 3s st.fierce), it's pretty funny

Jomjom

Banned
Mann who is the choreographer for this? They did an amazing job. The actors also did an amazing job to be able to realize a bunch of the moves from the game.

Phades

Wow, nice post man. Although, I think you might be slightly off on the jumping knee part.

Review the SF animated movie. Specifically the Ryu vs. Fei Long sequence. More specifically the part before Ryu does the arm lock and slams Fei long into the ground. Ryu combos into putting his knee right into Fei long's chin (although the sequence isn't unbroken like the fight scenes are in the assasin's fist). That was the first thing that jumped into my head with that particular move in this instance.

The did more subtle things too, like forward leaping over a fireball for example, if going directly off of the source video game material.

fader

What were people's favourite episodes or scenes?

My favorite episode I think it was 6 where we see ryu's back-story and his whole focus thing in the middle of the field and where Gouken and young Ryu are walking together. That scene was AMAZING. It may not be the most action-y scene in the series but as just a scene it was well done and made you really like the Ryu character.

Although I know Christian Howard co-created the series and his Ken portrayal is amazing, I just wish more focus was done towards Ryu I think Mike Moh really nailed the character and I feel like you can do a lot with Ryu.

AMUSIX

i'll do some but idk how to do this without specifically making my post unbelievably monstrously huge so whatever

the exchanges are real fight-y so it's not always just one at a time so i'll do 3 tiny bits i picked out randomly

firstly, you will see ken doing a lot of any of these. like. all the time. dude loves him some crazy kicks and they're basically his signature normals unique to him which is awesome:
WXcfpwp.gif

ok, here goes:

in ryu's punching section he is basically going through all his standing punch buttons (jabs into sf2 mp into sfa mp into 3s st.fierce), it's pretty funny

Just want to say, I know doing this is a bit of work, but it's wholly appreciated. And really serves as an appreciation for all the work that went into matching the moves to the game.

Jarlaxle

I really like how Ken's dad comes and teach them how to "bounce"
and that's part of both Ken/Ryu normal animation :O

My wife and I were talking about this exact moment about an hour ago as I was watching it with her. I watched it all the other day and thought it was fantastic and had to rewatch with her. Only made it through episdoe 5 before she had to just leave for work and she was definitely bummed out that she couldn't watch more right away.

Really good stuff. Would definitely watch more.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

http://i.imgur.com/WXcfpwp.gif

ok, here goes:

Wow, that's pretty cool. Thanks for doing this!

What were people's favourite episodes or scenes?

How about all of it :)

But seriously, the Goutetsu vs Gouki fight. The Gouki tatsumaki into Gou-shoryu made me say "oh shit" out loud lol.

This series was really well done. This is what happens when you let people who love and respect the lore be put in charge of a project. Can't wait for the bluray release.
Tatsumaki senpuu kyaku!

This proved to me there can be good gaming related film/TV. I mean I wasn't expecting much but they really went above and beyond. I would suggest that to someone who doesn't even know the story behind SF.

There were some cringe worthy parts like basically any uppercut but damn that was good.

Yaqoub

Binge-watched this last night and it was freaking incredible!

Loved the series, and hope it develops into something bigger in the future.

The cast represented the characters very well, didn't look like some bad cosplay.

I'm in for a Blu-Ray release. Give it to me.

WOW. That shit was hot

season 2 por favor

Ansah(the guy who played buff Akuma and the creator) said that he wants to do "World Warrior" next. If that's the case then that would mean theyd' have to skip the first tournament where Ryu defeated Sagat. Regardless I'm really looking forward to the continuation of this series.

And if they keep making even more I want to see Ryu do a real life DP, FADC, Ultra.

this was a nice surprise. i didn't expect this kind of quality at all. 2-3 scenes had a little bit of cheese in them, but that's nothing. this is the first time i've seen games on film with real actors done right. my highest praise for all people involved.

any infos out for the blu-ray release? can we ask for a codefree blu-ray?

I hope the next season is about Ryu going to the 1st World Warrior tournament (SF1) and Ken going to the US Martial Arts Championship. it would be a shame if they skipped straight into SF2 IMO.

Negaduck

The second I finished I just wanted more. Loved all the themes thrown in and even though some parts were a little cheesy, they didn't overdo it. Just the right amount of cheese. That Gouki v Gotetsu fight was my favorite. The GO SHORYU had me. Pretty much every fight in the show had me.

Every little pose or attack was perfect. Random Ono was amazing too.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
How about all of it :)

But seriously, the Goutetsu vs Gouki fight. The Gouki tatsumaki into Gou-shoryu made me say "oh shit" out loud lol.

This series was really well done. This is what happens when you let people who love and respect the lore be put in charge of a project. Can't wait for the bluray release.
Tatsumaki senpuu kyaku!

Gotetsu fight is the best part of the series so far, I agree.

Seyavesh

Please sir may i have some more.jpg

ok a quickie, nothing too big:

iv6JuJkpqPSnn.gif

start of the fight is the good ol' shoto jumping hk that everyone knows and loves
4wjl0Du.gif

into standing mp
sOXPOey.gif

into cr mp/lp (they share the same animation)
jNQ69LD.gif

into sean's f+HK from 3s twice, i think? the first jump kick there might be something else but that 2nd one is definitely the sean hopkick (ken is sean's master so not too weird)
ACre9FG.gif

nobody mentioned that ryu does the 3s donkey kick (twice even!) which was pretty funny:
iVOK07UgyQ60B.gif

i72um6w.gif

also, a perfect recreation of ken's st.hk from like every single game he's in
iSdoYNNrsjSfd.gif

cSOKdU9.gif

i don't really know akuma and gouken's normals that well so i can't do them. the only akuma normals i really know are the 3s far hp, the f+mp overhead and the open palm st.mp but i don't recall seeing any of them. he shares a lot of shoto normals and he definitely does them too but it's not as obviously framed as the ones in the last fight

Enjoyed this so much i started watching it again with my wife. She's Japanese and the first thing she says is "No way they can walk from Wakayama to Shizuoka in 3 days!" But the guys who made this did their research cause according to Google directions, yes they they can!

That
Mega Man 2
moment in episode 10 made me chuckle. Surprisingly decent mini-series overall too, since I went into this with very low expectations.

This was so great, I was calling out the normals as I saw them. That parrying sequence was so good too. This is the type of stuff video game adaptations should be doing, not some bullshit "palm strike" as a hadouken in that god awful sf2 movie.

However, I am now fully convinced that a real life shoryuken will always look awkward. The pose just looks so goofy for some reason.

mbpm1

This was so great, I was calling out the normals as I saw them. That parrying sequence was so good too. This is the type of stuff video game adaptations should be doing, not some bullshit "palm strike" as a hadouken in that god awful sf2 movie.

However, I am now fully convinced that a real life shoryuken will always look awkward. The pose just looks so goofy for some reason.

It's the height thing. If they cut the height of the jumps down by like half or more it would look okay.

This was pretty good. Ken was perfect and the rest of the cast was great was well. The cast is easily it's strong point. I would have liked a little more action at the end though.

Top Bottom