• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter: Assassin’s Fist Released, Entire Series Available Now

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I thought it had a ton of potential but there was a lot of cheese there at some points.

+
Ken looks remarkably like the game Ken.
Ryu did a really good job too.
Fights were good.
Backstory was hit and miss.
The Gouken was good as well.
The 'cameo' had me laughing my ass off.

-
Some of that Akuma backstory stuff...could've been handled a lot better. I would've preferred a bit of mystery instead of the training he got or if he had been handled it completely differently.
Sayaka just seemed out of place.
For fuck's sake...! The constant switches were really jarring between English and Japanese. Some of the Japanese was also awkwardly delivered too.

Overall, I thought they really had something there and if they took it a bit more seriously and really tightened up on the stuff that seemed out of place, this would've been out of this world. It was still fantastic and better than JCVD's SF and the other animated series crap, but just misses in some areas.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Sayaka just seemed out of place.

Yeah, that's more than likely because Joey used Alpha Generations as one of the references to write the Akuma backstory and the relationship between Sayaka and Akuma. Even Gouken and Goutetsu's visuals were from the movie:

Gouken
image.axd

Goutetsu
Goutetsu_generations_movie.png

Sayaka and Akuma
Street+Fighter+Alpha+Generations+Sayaka+Gouki+%25282%2529.jpg

vakarian32

Watched it all last night, was damn good. Loved all the 80's throwbacks and the music was amazing. Would definitely buy this on bluray, really hope they do another season.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Watch this now. The retail release will have additional scenes so you'll still very much be looking forward to it.

Really? Will do! Liking it so far. Imagine if this was the original SF movie and not the travesty that was Van Damme's. Even the effects are good.

Joey Ansah plays Akuma. He doesn't speak Japanese, he's English. The actor you are referring to is Akira Koieyama. Google both please you seem to be confused.

Oh, right. Sorry. Yep, I was confused.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Yeah, that's more than likely because Joey used Alpha Generations as one of the references to write the Akuma backstory and the relationship between Sayaka and Akuma. Even Gouken and Goutetsu's visuals were from the movie:

Gouken
image.axd

Goutetsu
Goutetsu_generations_movie.png

Sayaka and Akuma
Street+Fighter+Alpha+Generations+Sayaka+Gouki+%25282%2529.jpg
Wow. Aside from young Gouki/Akuma's hair, they really nailed these.

Geniuzz

Only a few episodes in, but I have to say, I am pleasantly surprised. I like how they seem to pay attention to the tiniest details from the game(s) and keep it as authentic as possible without becoming too ridiculous. Hats off to the cast and director.

hxa155

I've watched the whole series and I was pleasantly surprised at how good it is with every episode. I kept expecting it to suck every time. Looking forward to that
Akuma vs Gouken fight.

bumpkin

Is this series going to be online-only or might we get a release on Blu-Ray or iTunes/Amazon in the future?

cj_iwakura

My only complaint so far is the hadoukens. Everything else is within realism, if exaggerated, but those fireballs. I kind of like how the JCVD movie handled it; a palm strike with a burst of force. Small nitpick, though.

BadWolf

My only complaint so far is the hadoukens. Everything else is within realism, if exaggerated, but those fireballs. I kind of like how the JCVD movie handled it; a palm strike with a burst of force. Small nitpick, though.

That's not what a hadoken is though.

They even made it a point to show how hard it was for Ryu and Ken to make it last and go far.

MANGOD

Banned
I thought this was going to be junk by the trailer but im pleasantly surprised by it. Will def pickup the bluray and hope for a second season

spoonztt

[/IMG]

I noticed this as well,
the Goutetsu vs Akuma fight was pretty much the same as in SFA:G. It only hit me when I saw the Ten symbol form in the clouds

That was surprisingly great. For what it was, the acting, fighting, and direction was well done. I loved the little details (the stances, the costumes,
Ono!, DAN!
) and it was an awesome adaptation and telling of the mythos. This is the Street Fighter movie (or at least the Ryu and Ken movie) the series has always deserved. I really hope they get to do more.

What? No! That's my biggest pet peeve about movie adaptations of stuff that's supposed to have fireballs and harnessing of ki. Don't give me some half assed palm force push. This is Street Fighter! Give me a damn fireball and flaming fists!

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

What? That was the lamest part of the film. They took out the most iconic thing about the franchise.

Also, if you want realism, there will be no akuma, no satsui no hado. It pretty much negates everything that happens this season. Street fighter is not supposed to be realistic.

Cloudy

Banned
Coming into this blind (never watched anything else by these guys), I thought it'd be cheesy and ridiculous but it's pretty good so far. I'm impressed

farisr

Coming into this blind (never watched anything else by these guys), I thought it'd be cheesy and ridiculous but it's pretty good so far. I'm impressed

I didn't come into this blind, I had seen the short by these guys before this series, I expected it to be cheesy and ridiculous and not good (I really didn't like that short, especially since it released around the time another Street Fighter short was released which was much better imo), but I was impressed by this, this was great.

They pretty much addressed all the criticisms I had with that short.

Haunted

For fuck's sake...! The constant switches were really jarring between English and Japanese. Some of the Japanese was also awkwardly delivered too.
Just to provide a counterpoint to this, I absolutely loved the dual language setup they had, love this kind of stuff.

They mostly had it right, switching between several languages like they do in the series is fairly natural when you're in a conversation with multilingual speakers. You usually pick the language that is best suited to express the concept you're talking about at the moment, while they also paid attention to the fact that bilingual speakers often revert to their native tongue when they're being emotional or surprised. Great attention to detail.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Just to provide a counterpoint to this, I absolutely loved the dual language setup they had, love this kind of stuff.

They mostly had it right, switching between several languages like they do in the series is fairly natural when you're in a conversation with multilingual speakers. You usually pick the language that is best suited to express the concept you're talking about at the moment, while they also paid attention to the fact that bilingual speakers often revert to their native tongue when they're being emotional or surprised. Great attention to detail.

I can understand the English portions for ken and Ryu. But the Gouki and Gouken portions are a bit forced tbh.

Watched to whole series and I thought it was amazing. I know next to nothing about the story of the characters but I liked what was there. I hope they do a second series and build on what's there because it was a great foundation for a series.

Angelcurio

Gold Member
Now speaking from an actual PC (being able to type freely) my main points about the series are:
+
Gotetsu vs Akuma fight
Ken looked a lot like the game version
Ken actually surprised his master at the end,
, by avoidis Ryu's Mesatsu Hadouken, and attacking with a Fire Shoryuken. Gouken actually mentions that he had never seen something like that before, and even thinks that Ken had used the Satsui no Hado
Ryu actually being better than Ken at throwing Hadoukens
Enjoyable fights with lots of moves from the games
Akuma story being really detailed.
Lots of nice touches with the music, specially Ryu's theme
The cameo was really fun

-
Constant switches between English and Japanese dialogue. Sometimes Gouken would talk with Ryu and Ken in English, and all of a sudden start speaking in Japanese only.
Sayaka abandonning Gouken felt somewhat weak
Special efffects for the Hadoukens could have been better done
Gotetsu and Gouken not looking like the official game versions (i see someone mentioned in this thread that the characters are based on their appearance on the SF: Generations movie, which i haven't seen yet.

I really hope that a new season is confirmed for this series and that the Blu-Ray version have a lot of deleted scenes.

Haunted

I can understand the English portions for ken and Ryu. But the Gouki and Gouken portions are a bit forced tbh.
I agree that it doesn't always make sense (though they even try to adress it in the script itself, I remember Goutetsu saying something like "let's see how much English I remember" before switching), but I suppose they were trying to avoid complete episodes being shot in Japanese.

Watched the whole thing from start to finish earlier today. Fucking fantastic. Hope we get more. The development of Akuma was just amazing to watch.

Xamdou

Ken is spot on, Ryu is aight but Akuma's build just feels off to me. Other than these pretty good series, I also saw that Capcom guy in the bar scene...

What were people's favourite episodes or scenes?

I can't pick one, everything was so great... However, I must say I thought the middle flashback section dragged on a bit. It almost makes you forget that Ryu and Ken are ALSO supposed to be protagonists. When the series finally returned to the present era it made me think, "Oh wow Ryu and Ken are also in this".

Seyavesh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e5VzdQ2P0I#t=7m4s

ep. 11

7:04

it is flat out the keystone moment/fight of the entire miniseries so not that weird i guess

but the music, the intro references, the choreography implementing literally every single shoto normal except cr.mks and j.lps from every mainline sf game (ryu does a freakin' shoto j.lk!), the fighting game aspect references with the long-range and poking range fireball spacing alongside the meaty fireball from ryu

it's so, so, so good ugggg

just the basic intro references are so good:

ivMeM1zOEb77X.gif

BZ1ndGw.gif

iloLJmbpnkWAZ.gif

VHmPSjk.gif
ghn29b1.gif

edit: i could seriously link gifs to shoto normals for basically every single attack in that final fight

I'm glad you guys pick up on all these game references.

@DiipuSurotu I know what you mean, but I thought the way it was done I completely forgot about Ryu and Ken, it was good enough be a stand alone series in itself. Goutetsu Vs Akuma is probably my favourite scene along with Ken and Ryu learning from Ken's father.

Have any of you heard of Dayasha? He is part of the FGC mostly known for his WTF series where he reviews videogame movies (Check out WTF Legend of Chun Li if you haven't NSFW). He did a great video review of SFAF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWo4ms3sg7U

Roland1979

This is done really well. I always hoped a fan-based series or movie would be made and be good but i imagined it being near impossible to be good on all fronts (for instance you might have someone who can act a bit and be good at karate but us plain ugly or doesn't look like his character at all. Or he might look like Ken (perfect match in this series) but his martial art might be lacking. Then there is story and progression, using special effects, locations, etc. Around episode 5 it starts to get really good. It basically everything we could hoped for. They have also clearly drawn a lot of inspiration from SF anime. I also appreciate a "non-Westernized Ryu" (as in some anime).

RuGalz

Came into this blind and generally, I thought it was going to be cheese but it was pretty well done. There were a few places that I wanted to see more, of such as the fight scene in the club. Not a fan of the constant language switching, it felt off a lot of times.

Crunch King

Neo Member
Only about half way through but really enjoying this so far.

Yes, it's cheesy, but it is also SO faithful to the source material and full of little touches that fans will notice. It's basically my dream movie from when I was an 8 year old, finally brought to life. Good shit.

those dehumanizing stares...
Noooo..lol.

Show was quite alright. Plenty of great moments and winks/nods to the games.
Ono
part was meh. Seriously, was the
MegaMan part a shout out, or just more poking at the poor fans?
Funny regardless. Would like to see what the do for the next season..

It's hard to have a favorite as good as everything was, seriously.

I will say the most surprising aspect of it all was how Akuma was handled. Growing up with SF, I'd always assumed most of his power and strength came from embracing the Satsui no Hado. Watching his first appearance as this actual human yet terrifying persona, seeing Gouki's rather amicable (I seriously expected him to throw a big tantrum when Gotetsu kicked him out) departure, all of his training, and the fact that the power was something that could potentially kill him instead of just powering/demonizing him.

He was secretly the star of the show, because I doubt even Capcom themselves could explain him that well in the time you all did it.

Top Bottom