• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Successful male contraceptive jab trial brings new form of birth control closer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alienfan

Can't believe this doesn't have a thread yet, it's been making the rounds online

A male contraceptive gel has been found to work reliably in a trial in primates, bringing the prospect of an alternative form of birth control for humans closer.
The product, called Vasalgel, is designed to be a reversible and less invasive form of vasectomy and in the latest study was 100% effective at preventing conception. A blob of the gel is injected into the sperm-carrying tube, known as the vas deferens, and acts as a long-lasting barrier.

The Parsemus Foundation, a non-profit organisation that funded the work, said it plans to start a human trial as soon as funding is secured, based on the promising monkey results.
”One of the great things about the monkey model is that the male reproductive tract is very similar to humans and they have even more sperm than humans do," said VandeVoort. ”Chances are, it's going to be effective in humans."

After decades of minimal progress on male contraceptives, a range of different approaches now appear to be showing promise. A World Health Organisation investigation, published last year, found that a male hormonal contraceptive jab was as effective as the female pill. However, scientists are still working to overcome unwanted side-effects including depression, acne and soaring libido that are linked to hormone-altering gels, pills and injections.
By contrast, the Vasalgel procedure does not interfere with sperm production and hormone levels in the body remain unchanged, meaning such side-effects are not an issue. As with a vasectomy, sperm continues to be produced in the testes, but rather than being ejaculated, it dissolves and is naturally absorbed by the body.

More details about the study and proposed procedure in the article.

A-V-B

As with a vasectomy, sperm continues to be produced in the testes, but rather than being ejaculated, it dissolves and is naturally absorbed by the body.

The Male Body: Brought to you by Sperm(TM)

B33

Banned
One of the perks of being sterile is I don't need to worry about this, but hurray for the rest of you.

BigAT

Pull out champion six years and counting.

tumblr_nbiofrYtKz1ttx87to1_500.jpg

Makki

NOPE

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE

You really wouldnt get fucked up your pee pee for a couple of seconds to not have to hunt for rubbers last minute, play pulling out roulette, or worry about your girl wanting a baby daddy and trapping you into a leg lock right as you try to pull out?

Sign me up!

zeioIIDX

This sounds like that RISUG procedure they do in India or somewhere. I have one daughter already and sometimes I'm paranoid about women saying they are on birth control. I would totally get this procedure done.

Fuchsdh

If women can get IUDs, we can handle this.

I mean, most women don't, and this is a non-starter too. Most people don't want to have surgeries or operations or get jabbed in their genitals with a needle.

It's great to have another birth control option available, and reliable contraception methods available to both sexes are a Very Good Thing, but yeah this is never going to take off like a rocket for a pretty obvious reason.

Obscura

Sign me up.

Also, why would anyone think pulling out is actually a legitimate option? Just buy some condoms...

Dryk

I mean, most women don't, and this is a non-starter too. Most people don't want to have surgeries or operations or get jabbed in their genitals with a needle.
Their loss I guess. I'm all for getting cut open once in a while for those effectiveness rates.

Makki

Sign me up.

Also, why would anyone think pulling out is actually a legitimate option? Just buy some condoms...

Call me an adventurer, I dab in the pull out method for as long as possible and resort to the rubber at the very end only.

99Luffy

Banned
Interesting to see trial results. I assume they didnt test monkeys on sex marathons so I wonder if 'backup' may be an issue.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
It's so unfair that some lucky bastard's job is to inject gel in a bunch of marmoset's penises and then watch them fuck.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
They should still get metal jammed in their orifices and be forced to endure hormonal imbalances to make it fair.

Also life threatening human formation in the gut when it fails.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
A highly effective, non hormonal, reversible method like this and people are really freaking out about the procedure?

It's not like they'll shove a pipe cleaner up your joy pipe while you look on with your eyes clamped open clockwork orange style.

Some of these posts make me embarrassed for the male gender.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom