• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Successful male contraceptive jab trial brings new form of birth control closer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

You really wouldnt get fucked up your pee pee for a couple of seconds to not have to hunt for rubbers last minute, play pulling out roulette, or worry about your girl wanting a baby daddy and trapping you into a leg lock right as you try to pull out?

Sign me up!

maybe you just love to cum real deep inside too

or your partner loves it

w3bba

if this works on humans just as good i am all in. goodbye condoms.

and lol at the reactions here. women suffer so much for contraceptives, but a little sting is too much. just ask any woman that had the spiral or hell even the pill. first one can cause pain, cramps and internal bleeding. pills wreck havoc to their hormones and cause depression and/or lessened libido. just to name a few side effects.
this little injection takes only a few minutes, hurts for a day and then you are free to go without caring about making babies anymore. and if it is that easily reversible it's again just a trip to the doc, a little sting and your baby juices are back at their regular job.

shaowebb

Pull out champion six years and counting.

Amateur.
uSAShQE.png

Shredderi

Eww sounds disgusting. Why does it seem like with male contraceptive it's always a needle to the dick? Fuck that, I'll just be perpetually sexless for another decade instead xD

w3bba

Eww sounds disgusting. Why does it seem like with male contraceptive it's always a needle to the dick? Fuck that, I'll just be perpetually sexless for another decade instead xD

Google how IUDs are implanted into the uterus. then come back and tell me how disgusting a needle to the dick is.

They eat a pill, many of them. If they invent a pill for men, I'm all for it. But I'm not going to have someone stick a needle down my urinary tract.
One, that pill is not some walk in the park. It has any number of side effects, ranging from fluctuations in to completely killing any interest in sex, depression, various other aches/pains/discomfort, all owing to its hormonal nature. I severely doubt any man who's hesitant about Vasalgel would truly want a male equivalent to the pill, which would give them those same symptoms and result in shit like depression, sex drive being all over the place, problems even getting an erection, etc, that would come from hormonal birth control. This is making oral contraceptives sound like they're nothing, when that's far from the case.

Two, WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS TALK ABOUT STICKING ANYTHING DOWN YOUR MOTHER FUCKING URETHRA? That's not how this works! That's not how any of this works! Where does this fucking shit keep coming from? God fucking damn it. AKLDJFSAKLJFSDKLJFSAD;KJFSDA.

Nothing is going down your fucking urinary track. It's a shot into the vas deferens, a tube that transports sperm from the testes inside the scrotum. You might say what difference does that make, but the point is you seem super opposed to something without making sure your ducks are all in a row and you even know what you're talking about at all. Getting that one shot is a much better dean than the options that much women have, but men can't even bother to get their facts right and would rather get all outraged over some fictional version of the procedure that doesn't even exist about shit going up their dicks to excuse themselves to not even learn about it at all, and talk about how you would rather have a male version of the pill than this? That you'd rather deal with the same type of side effects of the pill that women deal with every day due to the hormonal nature of such birth control, than just taking a needle once a decade and not having to worry about any of that or if you even remembered to take it on a given day or not? No, you're either lying or have no clue what you're asking for there. The trade-offs just aren't worth it.

But seriously though... where is all this stuff about this having anything to do with sticking anything in the penis or urethra coming from? Why does that one keep popping up in these threads? Just how little do men know about their bodies or any of this works at all, or how little are they interested in even caring at all how any of that actually works at all? Like, the acting like babies thing is one thing, but the sheer ignorance of how our bodies work on top of it is what really gets me, especially with this self-assured conviction with how a single needle shot is so oh-my-god-omega-terrible compared to the stuff women have to deal with as far as their options go. But when you've got it good like we men do, I suppose anything extra at all would feel like it's asking too much... But we can do better than that, or at least try to. At least I'd hope.

EDIT:
I... I just can't at this point. Sigh...

TBiddy

One, that pill is not some walk in the park. It has any number of side effects, ranging from fluctuations in to completely killing any interest in sex, depression, various other aches/pains/discomfort, all owing to its hormonal nature. I severely doubt any man who's hesitant about Vasalgel would truly want a male equivalent to the pill, which would give them those same symptoms and result in shit like depression, sex drive being all over the place, problems even getting an erection, etc, that would come from hormonal birth control. This is making oral contraceptives sound like they're nothing, when that's far from the case.

I never claimed they had no symptoms. But I vastly prefer eating a pill over getting something injected into my body. Call me old-fashioned, if you will, but that's how it is.

It's funny how much better this thread seems to be going compared to the last one when the word changes from 'cement' to 'gel'. :D

I mean, most women don't, and this is a non-starter too. Most people don't want to have surgeries or operations or get jabbed in their genitals with a needle.

It's great to have another birth control option available, and reliable contraception methods available to both sexes are a Very Good Thing, but yeah this is never going to take off like a rocket for a pretty obvious reason.

But most women do regularly get one of these jammed in their hoo-ha. And you know what happens when they pull that little grip handle? It sure doesn't tickle.

pederson-vaginal-speculum.jpg

As for the IUDs, maybe they're not as common as the pill, but the stories I've heard of the insertion, the horrific cramps, the tearing has put me off ever trying one. And that pain isn't just a quick jab like a needle. It lasts. Even the pill which you think is the easier option often has lasting painful side effects. I think most women would jump at the chance for a single quick jab in the genitals over that mess.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
NOPE

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE

This is such a horrible stance. Are you fine with the pill? If you got a pill with the same negative effects would you take it instead of a single injection?

Jesus, guys are really the most egotistical when it comes to contraceptives. Our penises are not some porcelain figure. They can handle it. Stop being such a man about it and woman up.
Writing that last sentence got me thinking, why is "man up" considered "tough up" when it's always women and gays who get dealt the really bad deals in life and have to suck it up? Boys cry more than girls. Boys get told they're fine as they are while girls have to suck it up and be better. Gays get called "sissies" when they're literally taking up the ass. Damn, guys really do project like a fucking Epson.

Kinokou

I'll read through this thread later but as a long time believer, promoter and backer of Vasalgel I'm happy every time their news makes the rounds.

Shredderi

EDIT:

I... I just can't at this point. Sigh...

Haha sorry I propably don't have all my facts together on this one and as someone who doesn't have sex my motivation to seek out the correct and updated information regarding these things is at an all time low but I didn't mean to spread alt facts or anything. Kind of just reacted to the mental image of having a needle in my dick.

This is such a horrible stance. Are you fine with the pill? If you got a pill with the same negative effects would you take it instead of a single injection?

Jesus, guys are really the most egotistical when it comes to contraceptives. Our penises are not some porcelain figure. They can handle it. Stop being such a man about it and woman up.
Writing that last sentence got me thinking, why is "man up" considered "tough up" when it's always women and gays who get dealt the really bad deals in life and have to suck it up? Boys cry more than girls. Boys get told they're fine as they are while girls have to suck it up and be better. Gays get called "sissies" when they're literally taking up the ass. Damn, guys really do project like a fucking Epson.

It's not really based on the current social climate but the one of old where it propably meant something more physical. Boys cry more than girls? News to me though, not that there would be anything wrong with boys crying. Can't even remember when I cried last time. Could be years.

andthebeatgoeson

Nice. Soon we'll have to hand a debate on why men's contraception should be covered by insurance but dirty girls contraception is an abomination unto the Lord and shouldn't be covered.

I'll read through this thread later but as a long time believer, promoter and backer of Vasalgel I'm happy every time their news makes the rounds.

Same here, I donated last year and I'm glad to see the progress they're making.

And a lot of you people in this thread need to go take sex ed again. Christ.

I never claimed they had no symptoms. But I vastly prefer eating a pill over getting something injected into my body. Call me old-fashioned, if you will, but that's how it is.
Call me old fashioned buy I'd rather take a little prick to my prick with no ill consequences than depression and all number of side effects caused by a pill.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Shredderi

Same here, I donated last year and I'm glad to see the progress they're making.

And a lot of you people in this thread need to go take sex ed again. Christ.

What do you mean 'again'? My sex ed class didn't talk about any of these things. The only male contraceptive that was mentioned was Condom. No information about balls etc. aside from "sperm comes from testicles" stuff. It was mostly about women, vagina and pregnancy. I hope they teach the kids in school better these days about these things.

TBiddy

Call me old fashioned buy I'd rather take a little prick to my prick with no ill consequences than depression and all number of side effects caused by a pill.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Good for you. Besides, if Vasalgel really is 100% free from sideeffects, it might possibly be a world first. I can't think of any other medicine that can claim that.

FINALLY! Been waiting on Vasalgel to become comercially available for a couple years.

Also maybe I missed something but I don't think they are shoving anything up anyone's urethra? I imagine it's an injection into the penis/balls.

That TOTALLY helps allay my fears bro...

w3bba

Not my point. Even if it's disgusting for women as well it doesn't really take away from the other :D

So you are absically saying that women just have to deal with it, no matter how horrifying it is, but a little poke to your privates is infinitly worse? ok

What do you mean 'again'? My sex ed class didn't talk about any of these things. The only male contraceptive that was mentioned was Condom. No information about balls etc. aside from "sperm comes from testicles" stuff. It was mostly about women, vagina and pregnancy. I hope they teach the kids in school better these days about these things.

He is probably talking about the people asking if they will still be able to "give facials" or have an "O face" after the procedure.

To ask those questions means you don't have an understanding of the male anatomy.

I mean, most women don't, and this is a non-starter too. Most people don't want to have surgeries or operations or get jabbed in their genitals with a needle.

It's great to have another birth control option available, and reliable contraception methods available to both sexes are a Very Good Thing, but yeah this is never going to take off like a rocket for a pretty obvious reason.
Male fragility?

This sounds like that RISUG procedure they do in India or somewhere. I have one daughter already and sometimes I'm paranoid about women saying they are on birth control. I would totally get this procedure done.
Afaik it's the same chemicals, but in the wstern commercial implementation.
I'm signing up as soon as this is proven harmless and approved.
Also, what is the whole fuss with having this done to you? You don't get flu shots? Well these are baby shots, and they last 10 years. I'd rather this than have my GF shove a sharp and painful piece of metal up her uterus.

Shredderi

So you are absically saying that women just have to deal with it, no matter how horrifying it is, but a little poke to your privates is infinitly worse? ok

You already know I'm not saying that. What I'm saying is, that I don't want to do that, so I won't subject a woman to have sex with me when I'm clearly not ready to pull my weight in the whole contraceptive deal. If a woman said to me that she doesn't have sex because she doesn't want to bother with painful and side-effect having contraceptives I would understand.

w3bba

He is probably talking about the people asking if they will still be able to "give facials" or have an "O face" after the procedure.

To ask those questions means you don't have an understanding of the male anatomy.

And this procedure is basically a vasectomy. men with that can still orgasm and ejaculate.

The main driver in the male ejaculation is the prostate. It produces the carrier liquid for the sperm. thus you will ejaculate just clear liquid without sperm inside. Orgasms are produced by muscular contractions and the nervous system. it happens mostly in the brain.
Sperm, which gets blocked, is still produced, there is only a roadblock to prevent them from coming out. everything else, including their production, is left untouched.

And this concludes the sex-ed class for today

EDIT:

You already know I'm not saying that. What I'm saying is, that I don't want to do that, so I won't subject a woman to have sex with me when I'm clearly not ready to pull my weight in the whole contraceptive deal. If a woman said to me that she doesn't have sex because she doesn't want to bother with painful and side-effect having contraceptives I would understand.

no I didnt know that you meant that. it wasnt clear to me. Sorry for the wrong assumption, this is now a much more understandable description. With this i can agree.

Zoe

Have you seen the list of side effects that comes with the pill? Including but not limited to nausea, diarrhoea, depression, breast tenderness, uncontrollable bleeding out of your hooha, gallbladder disease, deep vein thrombosis and possibly strokes and death? Oh and if it contains oestrogen it increases your risk of breast cancer. Yup. But we couldn't possibly do that to men.
The rate of side effects was higher and they were more severe than the typical effects for women.

Just because women had to put up with shitty medical practices in the past doesn't mean we have to punish men now. We should be striving for better options on both sides.

What does this have to do with being old fashioned?! It just sounds like a mix of entitlement and being a crybaby.

So you don't get vaccinated either? No Tooth fillings? Will you tell your doctor to keep that hip replacement out of your body because you are old fashioned?

If anything a mechanical solution basically plugging a pipe is more old fashioned then getting orally injected (a pill is entering your body too you know) with a bunch of hormones/ chemicals.

And wtf this is still with monkeys??? I'm waiting since like 15 years for this shit as we have no alternative but an actual surgery which I'm getting closer and closer to despite the price and the possible side effects...

TBiddy

What does this have to do with being old fashioned?! It just sounds like a mix of entitlement and being a crybaby.

So you don't get vaccinated either? No Tooth fillings? Will you tell your doctor to keep that hip replacement out of your body because you are old fashioned?

If anything a mechanical solution basically plugging a pipe is more old fashioned then getting orally injected (a pill is entering your body too you know) with a bunch of hormones/ chemicals.

What's up with the countless strawmen? I'm talking in terms of contraception. Of course I'm vaccinated.

Derwind

I'll admit my first reaction was squeamish but honestly speaking, taking a few seconds to analyze your own perspective, you'll understand why it's far more palatable than what women have to go through in terms of contraceptives.

A small prick from a needle into your naughty bits is a momentary sacrifice we should all be willing to put up with in retrospect.

What's up with the countless strawmen? I'm talking in terms of contraception. Of course I'm vaccinated.

It's not that much of a strawmen? To preemptivly defend yourself from possible diseases you are willing to get multiple needles injected into you.
Would you honestly prefer taking some anti-hepatitis pill every day over those years?

This one is even just one injection for a decade of no babies.

i mean

i have a Prince Albert, but the idea of an injection still makes me uncomfortable

then you reflect for a second and it's doable

close your eyes and bam you're shooting blanks

TBiddy

It's not that much of a strawmen? To preemptivly defend yourself from possible diseases you are willing to get multiple needles injected into you.
Would you honestly prefer taking some anti-hepatitis pill every day over those years?

This one is even just one injection for a decade of no babies.

Yes it is. You're accusing me of something I've not said a word about.

I'd prefer not to do anything to my body with regards to protection, be it pills or be it gel or a vasectomy. Condoms do their job, just fine. But if I had to choose, it'd be the pills. I can always stop taking the pills. There's no guarantee that the gel is reversible.

Ok fine that's your decision. Just seems like a illogical stance regarding win/risk.
But:
There's no guarantee that the gel is reversible.
Actually there is. It's one of the reasons why people want it over vasectomy (which in most cases also is reversible though nowadays. But obviously way more complicated than dissolving a piece of gel).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom