• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Successful male contraceptive jab trial brings new form of birth control closer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
After years of my girlfriend taking part in the gruesome lottery of birth control side effects before eventually settling on the non-hormonal IUD - the procedure for which was traumatic for her - I'll jump on this the moment it's available and trialled.

TBiddy

Actually there is.

Actually there isn't. They tested it on 12 rabbits and managed to restore the sperm flow. That does not equal a guarantee.

The idea is to develop a fully reversible long-acting male contraceptive, and recently-completed rabbit studies showed rapid restoration of sperm flow. This was accomplished by flushing the Vasalgel from the vas deferens with an injection of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) solution. Additional preclinical studies are underway to further test the methods and efficacy of reversibility in larger animals. Until reversibility studies are done in men, Vasalgel should be thought of as a vasectomy alternative.

edit: According to CNN they actually failed to reverse it on baboons.
Reversibility was shown in trials on rabbits, but it was not tested in the new trial on monkeys.
Recent trials on baboons also failed to reverse the effect.
"Successful reversibility will be the key to make this world-changing," Lissner said.

Hylian7

You really wouldnt get fucked up your pee pee for a couple of seconds to not have to hunt for rubbers last minute, play pulling out roulette, or worry about your girl wanting a baby daddy and trapping you into a leg lock right as you try to pull out?

Sign me up!

Da fuq???

Actually there isn't. They tested it on 12 rabbits and managed to restore the sperm flow. That does not equal a guarantee.

These tests are important to make but the outcome is already clear. There is no reason why it would not work 100% in humans as well. It only depends on the physical properties of the gel.

But either way, it's not like it will be available to the general public before these trials are done anyway so it's a mute point.

Edit: regarding your edit: they didn't test it yet. The article makes it a bit sound like as if it failed to reverse in monkeys.

Aiustis

After years of my girlfriend taking part in the gruesome lottery of birth control side effects before eventually settling on the non-hormonal IUD - the procedure for which was traumatic for her - I'll jump on this the moment it's available and trialled.

Best described as getting punched directly in the uterus by the world's greatest boxer.

TBiddy

These tests are important to make but the outcome is already clear. There is no reason why it would not work 100% in humans as well. It only depends on the physical properties of the gel.

But either way, it's not like it will be available to the general public before these trials are done anyway so it's a mute point.
Edit: regarding your edit: they didn't test it yet. The article makes it a bit sound like as if it failed to reverse in monkeys.

They have tested it on baboons: (Yes, reversal worked in rabbits; we're still trying to figure out why it isn't working in baboons and dogs.) taken from here.

You make it sound like it's easy peasy to create something that is 100% removable and non-damaging. I hope they can get this product working with full reversability (or at least on a better level than a vasectomy), but there's no guarantee that it'll happen.

They have tested it on baboons: (Yes, reversal worked in rabbits; we're still trying to figure out why it isn't working in baboons and dogs.) taken from here.

You make it sound like it's easy peasy to create something that is 100% removable and non-damaging. I hope they can get this product working with full reversability (or at least on a better level than a vasectomy), but there's no guarantee that it'll happen.

Sorry, you are right. I didn't know about that. For the baboons they seem to have a hint for why but I'm surprised it hasn't worked yet in their better dog model (although it says they just started with that).
Personally I'm much more interested in a far less invasive procedure without possible side effects like pain or even impotence later on. I would never want to reverse it.
But I agree that it will only take off if it's as easily reversible as I was led to believe.

TBiddy

Sorry, you are right. I didn't know about that. For the baboons they seem to have a hint for why but I'm surprised it hasn't worked yet in their better dog model (although it says they just started with that).
Personally I'm much more interested in a far less invasive procedure without possible side effects like pain or even impotence later on. I would never want to reverse it.
But I agree that it will only take off if it's as easily reversible as I was led to believe.

One could fear, though, that a lot of young people would stop using condoms, since they could just get this injection and don't worry about getting someone pregnant. It doesn't stop STDs though.

But I agree with you. Between vasectomy and this, there's really no competition. Let's hope they figure out the kinks and can start mass-producing it.

SliChillax

Letting go with your hand doesn't count as pulling out.

lyCUq.gif

Keri

This is really great news. At this point, the development of safe and effective birth control for men is probably the best bet that women have, of ensuring access to birth control for them. Suddenly, predominantly male legislatures will have an interest against preventing access to birth control, generally. (Especially since even old men have to worry about impregnating their mistresses!)

Hylian7

Yes some want a child so badly they do that. or use that as leverage so that you dont leave them. its crazy, its not sane, but it happens

I'm sure it's happened somewhere, but I really doubt it's that common of a thing that you have to get a male contraceptive to "avoid all those crazy women that will leg lock you to keep you from pulling out"

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Best described as getting punched directly in the uterus by the world's greatest boxer.
Yeah, the lack of hormonal side effects have been life-changinly positive, but the procedure itself left her with mild PTSD.

I'll take a needle in the nuts if it means she doesn't have to go through that again.

Good to know that there's progress being made. This is a great way for men to take part in reproductive responsibility, and shift some of the burden away from women.

I think the timing here might be key too...if BC isn't covered by certain employers due to the upcoming "repairs" that "will" be made to the ACA, then perhaps this option will help offset any potential increase in unplanned pregnancy.

Now all that's needed is for folks to nut up and get the injection. When and if it is made available, of course.

Pulling out Is for chumps.

We use the pill and it's infinitely better than rubbers or pulling out to cum

Not a fucking chance I'm letting someone inject anything into my sperm tube.

Fuck that.

Pulling out Is for chumps.

We use the pill and it's infinitely better than rubbers or pulling out to cum

Not a fucking chance I'm letting someone inject anything into my sperm tube.

Fuck that.

Well she uses the pill. Not you.

Anyway, I'd be interested if it is that effective and is reversible. If so, sign me up! I'd like to be in control too.

smisk

Sounds kinda scary but I know getting an IUD isn't fun either so I'd be willing. (If I ever got laid that is)

What do you mean 'again'? My sex ed class didn't talk about any of these things. The only male contraceptive that was mentioned was Condom. No information about balls etc. aside from "sperm comes from testicles" stuff. It was mostly about women, vagina and pregnancy. I hope they teach the kids in school better these days about these things.

Nah, I was referring to the people that dont know the difference between a vas deferens and a urethra. :p

But indeed, I'm aware even some sex ed classes are horrible at teaching the class the basics of anatomy.

Not gonna lie though the moment this gets approved for humans I'm signing the fuck up, I'll gladly take a needle once to spare my girl any trouble from any trouble caused by contraceptives.

It's practically having my cake and eating it too, how could anyone resist?

I read an article in the past that this form of contraceptive could potentially last up to 10 years. I'm excited to see this hopefully work!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
��

I mean, I knew there was the risk of sounding very selfish and priviledged posting that, but it was more intended to be humorous than an excuse as to why dudes shouldn't have as much responsibility when it comes to contraceptives.

But I really don't like the idea of injections in general, it's the worst shit.

I mean, I knew there was the risk of sounding very selfish and priviledged posting that, but it was more intended to be humorous than an excuse as to why dudes shouldn't have as much responsibility when it comes to contraceptives.

But I really don't like the idea of injections in general, it's the worst shit.

And as someone who had a vasectomy, I am telling you an injection into your vas deferens (which by the way, isn't your testicles) isn't the big deal you and a lot of other people make it out to be.

Put it like this, I would rather have a vasectomy again than have an IUD implanted.

Your balls are aching over nothing.

Even if it turns out it's not so easy to reverse in people, it is still less invasive than a vasectomy, so, great news.

A no scalpel, no stitch vasectomy is pretty non invasive.

DBT85

If its proven safe and stuff, I'd happily get this.

Mad how much the pill can fuck up a womans hormones but is considered ok.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
And as someone who had a vasectomy, I am telling you an injection into your vas deferens (which by the way, isn't your testicles) isn't the big deal you and a lot of other people make it out to be.

Put it like this, I would rather have a vasectomy again than have an IUD implanted.

Your balls are aching over nothing.

A no scalpel, no stitch vasectomy is pretty non invasive.

Oh, it's above it all lol, still though, needles make me cringe

Kinokou

The news have spread into Norwegian media and they also talked to some people at a firm called Spermatech which I did not know about yet. Thought it might be of intrrst to all of you to learn about them too:

Spermatech’s idea is to develop an oral birth control pill for men. The pill will consist of a small chemical compound which interferes with the function of a sperm-specific protein essential for male fertility.

Apparently they are also seeking investors.

I'm still betting on vasalgel, but seriously men, you should get both options.

Sesha

As someone who had lots of allergy testing as a kid, a little needle is nothing. Seriously, man up. A phrase I never use, but which has never been more apposite.

The news have spread into Norwegian media and they also talked to some people at a firm called Spermatech which I did not know about yet. Thought it might be of intrrst to all of you to learn about them too:

Apparently they are also seeking investors.

I'm still betting on vasalgel, but seriously men, you should get both options.

There's a bunch of male pills currently in testing with plans to hit the market soon, IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom