• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you as a male actually consider Vasalgel for birth control?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekdrm2d1

Because the pill can do horrible horrible things to you? I've taken it most of my adult life and I hate it. I'm desperate for the day a male contraceptive pill is available.

wow this is new to me.

Thanks for the posting.

Edit: Can't the pill limit periods? Surely that's a plus for women.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
You have a point there.

If the effect for Vasalgel is completely reversible and the girl can't have/doesn't want the pill, then I'd take it. What are the side effects in this case, though?

Somewhat unknown yet, thus why they're going into clinical trials. From Wikipedia though:

The thoroughness of carcinogenicity [causing cancer], teratogenicity [causing birth defects], and toxicity testing in clinical trials has been questioned. In October 2002, India's Ministry of Health aborted the clinical trials due to reports of albumin in urine and scrotal swelling in Phase III trial participants. Although the ICMR has reviewed and approved the toxicology data three times, WHO and Indian researchers say that the studies were not done according to recent international standards. Due to the lack of any evidence for adverse effects, trials were restarted in 2011.

RuGalz

Still hoping one day they can come up with a better solution somewhere between this and condoms. But, for now, nope.

Okay look, here's a run down on Vasalgel. There's some huge fucking crap getting said in this thread.

First off, why is Vasalgel even a thought? Because, to be quite honest, birth control pills suck. It's a constant expense, needs to be taken every day, fucks with hormones, and has a variety of other side effects. They suck. Lots of people just don't realize they suck because, even with all their faults, it's still relatively the best option.

Vasectomies are, more or less, permanent, and can be expensive.

So here's where vasalgel comes in -- you have a single injection that, by itself, as a one time thing, provides protection for 10 years. Also, it's completely non-hormonal, so it won't fuck with anything else. There's no side effects. There's no pain (outside of the initial injection, which you guys get fucking shots all the time. Suck it up). You still jizz. Only difference, is that a silicone solution in your tubes kills the sperm on their way out. OH. And did I mention that it is literally as easy to be reversed, as it is to be applied? One solution sets you up for care free inactive sperm for 10 years, and one other injection clears it all up, and a week later you can start pumping for babies.

So between permanent action, fucked up hormones, or a one time needle....
Why the fuck wouldn't you go for the needle?

EDIT: Correction, the "kills your sperm as it goes by" part is applicable to RISUG, which is an *extremely* similar process. Vaselgel actually allows the fluid to pass, but blocks the sperm from leaving. So while all the jizz flows, the "active" part of it stays behind.

Kinokou

All you yes men in here warm my feminist heart!

Why not just get your girl to take the pill?

If there are trust issues then you shouldn't even be with her.

Because messing with hormones can make the girl lose her sex drive or attraction to you, or get cranky and emotional and then you would lose your interest in her.

Soon-ish. They mentioned 2017-18 before, but I'm not so sure. Either way it'll be sooner if they get more donations. Which reminds me that I should donate more.

Edit: From their page:

Awesome!

The rest of you should follow suit and be as awesome as Sesha
and me
!

Ri'Orius

So what happens after a jack off?

You ejaculate, but the semen contains no sperm. I believe there's no noticeable difference: same texture, taste, etc.

wow this is new to me.

Thanks for the posting.

Edit: Can't the pill limit periods? Surely that's a plus for women.

Different people respond to the pill differently. For some, it makes periods better (more regular, less frequent, less painful). For others, it makes them worse. Hence some women take the pill even while not sexually active just for the side-effects, while others don't take the pill at all and use alternative contraception.

Turns out fucking with hormones can have extremely varied effects on a person.

Ekdrm2d1

You ejaculate, but the semen contains no sperm. I believe there's no noticeable difference: same texture, taste, etc.

Different people respond to the pill differently. For some, it makes periods better (more regular, less frequent, less painful). For others, it makes them worse. Hence some women take the pill even while not sexually active just for the side-effects, while others don't take the pill at all and use alternative contraception.

Thanks!

kamakazi5

Hell yeah sign me up. My wife doesn't want me to get a vasectomy because she's afraid she may end up wanting a kid. This would be a great compromise.

Kinokou

Somewhat unknown yet, thus why they're going into clinical trials. From Wikipedia though:

RISUG (India) uses a different type of formula than Vasalgel (America) so it might not be an issue with Vasalgel. I'm not sure how different, but I know there is information on that somewhere out on the internet, also last I heard of their Baboon trial everything was fine. So I have my fingers crossed.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Okay look, here's a run down on Vasalgel. There's some huge fucking crap getting said in this thread.

First off, why is Vasalgel even a thought? Because, to be quite honest, birth control pills suck. It's a constant expense, needs to be taken every day, fucks with hormones, and has a variety of other side effects. They suck. Lots of people just don't realize they suck because, even with all their faults, it's still relatively the best option.

So here's where vasalgel comes in -- you have a single injection that, by itself, as a one time thing, provides protection for 10 years. Also, it's completely non-hormonal, so it won't fuck with anything else. There's no side effects. There's no pain (outside of the initial injection, which you guys get fucking shots all the time. Suck it up). You still jizz. Only difference, is that a silicone solution in your tubes kills the sperm on their way out. OH. And did I mention that it is literally as easy to be reversed, as it is to be applied? One solution sets you up for care free inactive sperm for 10 years, and one other injection clears it all up, and a week later you can start pumping for babies.

EDIT: Correction, the "kills your sperm as it goes by" part is applicable to RISUG, which is an *extremely* similar process. Vaselgel actually allows the fluid to pass, but blocks the sperm from leaving. So while all the jizz flows, the "active" part of it stays behind.

This. Like I said, I'm an actual needle phobe and this leaps and bounds the best option that we'll have.

Hell, apparently they're also making 'smart RISUG' with metals in the polymer, which allows them to be (among other things) removable without a second needle/operation. That's fantastic.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF

Thanks for posting this. There's a lot of bullshit going on here.

Birth control pills can wreak havoc on the body because they screw with hormones. So you could get things like mood swings and changes (or outright elimination) to libido. Yes, a pill that's supposed to make it easier to have sex without worrying about pregnancy can also kill your desire to have it in the first place. Not to mention the constant expense of having to take a pill every day. And if you're late for your dose by even an hour, you have to deal with things like headaches. Oh, and different pills work differently against different women so you have to go around trying different pills (which is a long process because birth control pills are weaned on and off over months) to find one that's good for you and has a set of side effects you're willing to live with. So it's not all fun and games.

Edit: Add headaches, weight gain, and nausea to the list of possible side effects of birth control pills.

Kinokou

Out of curiosity, what is the going rate for a years supply of the pill in America? Assuming we have a majority of American women in here of course.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Out of curiosity, what is the going rate for a years supply of the pill in America? Assuming we have a majority of American women in here of course.

http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/alpha-consumer/2012/03/05/the-real-cost-of-birth-control

According to Planned Parenthood, birth control pills cost between $15 to $50 a month, depending on health-insurance coverage and type of pill. On an annual basis, that means the Pill costs between $160 to $600.

And considering roughly 30% of women of reproductive age in the US use the pill, that's a lot of money.

Fou-Lu

Do you think that you could feel it afterwards? I don't think it would bother me otherwise but if you could... *shudder*

This definitely seems preferable to a vasectomy. I wouldn't mind it when the time comes during marriage when I don't want more kids.

N.Domixis

Banned
I think the bet way is to remove the testicles, get rid of sperm and make male pattern baldness dissapear. Killing two birds with one stones, basically.

DJ_Lae

Thanks for that info.
I will never have a vasectomy in my life now.

Depending on how it's done you'd likely just have an aerosol anesthetic that feels like someone snapping your nuts with a rubber band. It's not that bad.

Worth it to be able to sow seed everywhere without worry of it sprouting.

Sesha

Because messing with hormones can make the girl lose her sex drive or attraction to you, or get cranky and emotional and then you would lose your interest in her.

Awesome!

The rest of you should follow suit and be as awesome as Sesha
and me
!

Also causes depression in many women, sadly.

And what's a few bucks against something that will easing the economic situation, health and happiness of thousands of women, providing a powerful contraception, and making legions of men and even women happier through the lack of a need for condoms.

Yep. A girlfriend suffered massively during her period. Being on the pill eased that immensely. Even then she could get dizzy or even faint on intensive days, poor thing.

Do you think that you could feel it afterwards? I don't think it would bother me otherwise but if you could... *shudder*

Clinical trials will probably determinate those kinds of effects. Honestly doubt it though.

Yay! Time to step it up, gentlemen! We've been shouldering this stuff for years through any number of the delightfully shitty hormonal treatments to the painful (/occasionally perforatingly deadly) non-hormonal IUD treatments, so for there to be a potential safe, non-hormonal, reversible, and one time slight ouchie option for guys is great. Embrace it (and stop crying about a tiny moment of discomfort when you get all these awesome benefits)!

Aske

I'd absolutely get this done, but I'm more excied about having the switches installed in the next few years...

bL8fV3q.jpg

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Again, how likely is this to be reversed? Because "much more likely than vasectomy" is not very reassuring, and from the language they're using they don't seem to be very optimistic.

Also, the scrotum has far more pain innervation than the cervix. If an IUD is painful, then this is going to be much more than just an "ouchy"

Air

Banned
No needles near that area bruh. Which is unfortunate because when this first started being mentioned I was all for it.

Again, how likely is this to be reversed? Because "much more likely than vasectomy" is not very reassuring, and from the language they're using they don't seem to be very optimistic.

What language are you talking about?

In early 2010, Parsemus Foundation began developing a polymer contraceptive for the rest of the world outside India. The new polymer contraceptive is called Vasalgel™, and 12 months of rabbit studies have shown no sperm from the second semen sample onwards! Sperm flow quickly returned in rabbits that had the polymer flushed out.

Lack of human trials notwithstanding, this seems fairly optimistic. But I'm guessing that reaching the stage where human clinical trials outside of India can commence is an enormous hurdle.

Also, the scrotum has far more pain innervation than the cervix. If an IUD is painful, then this is going to be much more than just an "ouchy"

As I said, it's a one time thing. Having an IUD can give you crippling pain for months or even kill you (same with the pill) if it punches through your uterus. There are also numerous other side effects that can make your life hell. So, yes, I have to roll my eyes at the one time 'ouchie' that this offers.

Dryk

Sure, if it works.

Are there any complications, though? I've had a vasectomy and they generally leave the bottom part of the vas deferens open so sperm can leak out and absorb back into the body as sealing both ends can contribute to epididymitis, sperm granulomas, etc. Basically putting a plug in there seems like it might have similar issues.
It's not a plug, the polymer construct is hollow. But it's properties are such that electrostatic forces rupture sperm cells as they pass through it. EDIT: Sorry I was thinking of RSUIG, the more metal version of this tech

This technology is cool as shit and I can't wait for it to be widely available.

Izuna

Banned
As I said, it's a one time thing. Having an IUD can give you crippling pain for months or even kill you (same with the pill) if it punches through your uterus. There are also numerous other side effects that can make your life hell. So, yes, I have to roll my eyes at the one time 'ouchie' that this offers.

Pain for pleasure is just masochism.

Kinokou

I'm on the low end of that with a mid priced brand, 50 sounds pretty unbelivable, it would be such a nightmare to part with so much money over such a basic need.

Luckily I'm in the UK so mine are free. I'd hate it even more if I had to pay for it!

Nice! Here (Norway) only 16-20 year olds get a price reduction of about 11 euros (100 NKR) which makes the cheapest pills free for that age range.

Vasalgel really has the potential to be a whole lot cheaper, from this article about RISUG

RISUG is a long-lasting, low-cost treatment (the syringe could end up costing more than the material it injects).

I'm sure many families would be happy to remove the cost of the pill if they could choose a better option.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game

As much as an IUD is a one time thing. Reminder that this injection is also a medical procedure that inserts a foreign substance - so all the standard risks (pain, bleeding, infection, and yes death, regardless of how unlikely) - do apply. We won't know how likely any of these are until they do actual studies.

Also, uterine perforation due to IUD insertions are rarely serious and exceedingly rare, and the chances of one killing you are astronomically low. I don't think one has ever even been reported.

AxeMan

Tubes tied?

Damaniel

Banned
If they're already going to be playing with my nuts and injecting stuff in there, might as well go all the way and just have them do the vasectomy.

Without a second thought, really. I mean, if all goes according to plan, I hope to be able to have a few kids someday, so something like this definitely seems more than fair considering all the pain I'm going to cause whatever woman's unlucky enough to wind up with me. xD But seriously, getting poked by a needle to deliver a local anesthetic, even to that region, is nothing compared to giving birth and if life goes the way I want it to I see myself getting a vasectomy eventually anyway, so yeah, I have no problem with this--it's really the least I could do and something I'd be more than happy to do, especially considering the alternatives. Definitely better than shit like the pill or relying on stupid stuff like the pull out method.
Tubes tied?
Seriously? If you can't understand the difference between something like this and tubal ligation and are actually putting them on the same level, then well...

Greddleok

Well hormones aren't taken by me so that's irrelevant. Your dichotomy of one time needle or permanent snip conveniently ignores condoms. They're by far the best option. Cheap (well free if you can be bothered), effective and not only contraceptive, but also prevent the transmission of STIs.

Also, one time needle...until you need to get it reversed, and something saying "probably" reversible, isn't exactly comforting to me.

Koobion

I can't not imagine a bunch of jizz backing up due to the blockade of gel, regardless of how it actually mechanically functions. It makes me cringe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom