• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy Appreciation Thread

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly this is the game that made me not regret my Wii purchase. I still play it every once in a while just because it is a lot of fun. Easily the best game on the Wii and I don't think anything is going to surpass it.

pakkit

Banned
OP made me go back to the game to get 120. I have all the stars except for that last bomb-throwing one. I've tried it at least 100 times.

pakkit said:
OP made me go back to the game to get 120. I have all the stars except for that last bomb-throwing one. I've tried it at least 100 times.

I love this game, devoured it in about 3 days, but this is the exact type of play pattern that has caused me to shy away from the 120 star push so far. I really really fucking want to give it a shot though...

So awesome to the max is mario galaxy. Its also my favorite game graphically this generation by a land slide. So good, and so consistent, what an awesome job.

Galaxy, i love you

Ydahs

This is the only game I'm still in awe when I look at the screens. No game looks better than this, no matter the system.

My favourite non-RPG game ever.

Awesome job with the thread ziran. Thanks for the kudos too, I appreciate it. :)

Galaxy doesn't just ask for appreciation, it demands appreciation. It's the best 3D platformer ever created, the best game of this generation, and the very definition of Fun. Galaxy reminds us of why we play videogames in the first place. It's not about epic cutscenes. It's not about groundbreaking AI. It's about FUN. And Galaxy delivers that ingredient - the single most important ingredient - in spades.

Everything about the game screams polish. The sublime controls. Incredible animation. Beautiful art. Sweeping orchestral score. And, most important, the outstanding level design, which continually throws new concepts at you from the start of the game to its very end.

But let's speak of those distinct points. Firstly, the controls. I'm still not sure how Nintendo does it, but from the very beginning of Galaxy, it feels like you already know exactly how to control Mario. I think a key part of this is how Nintendo only use two primary buttons - Z and A. Barely anything else is used, aside from the d-pad (which is only sparingly used to control the camera, since the auto-camera is almost always more than sufficient) and the B-button, which you can optionally use to shoot star-bits if you so wish. The controls are so basic that anyone can jump into the game and have it down-pat within minutes.

As for what the Wii controls bring to the game, I feel this is a very underappreciated aspect of Galaxy. I often hear or read people saying "Galaxy could've controlled just as well on the Gamecube", a statement I believe to be both false and ignorant. Yes, Galaxy doesn't use motion controls in any extreme or innovative fashion. But that's the thing - it doesn't abuse motion control, but rather, it subtely bring motion into the game in such a fashion that you don't even realise it's their most of the time, yet it's essential to the experience.

The primary motion that is made throughout the game is Mario's spin attack. By simply waving the controller, Mario does a 360 spin which can defeat enemies, unlock screws, smash crystals, and much more. Does it offer something amazingly new and fantastic? No. But what it does do is offer that extra sense of involvement in the world, making you feel part of the action. For such a simple movement, you wouldn't believe how many times you unconciously use it throughout your adventure, and how different the game would feel without it. Galaxy also contains several levels that utilise motion, such as controlling Mario on a rolling ball, or guiding a stingray in a racing course. These levels aren't revolutionary or anything, but they do offer even more variety to the game and help break up the usual platforming.

Another aspect of the controls that I really love is the pointing mechanism. The pointer, typically represented on the screen a a blue star, is used in a variety of ways throughout the game. The basic use is to collect, or shoot, star bits. I adore this element on the controls, because you can point your star to collect star bits that are far away in the distance, and see them rush towards Mario from kilometres away. It makes you feel like you have a hand of god, and when you have to trudge over coins to collect them (which you cannot point at), you realise how just beneficial and seamless pointing is to collecting. The pointer is also used for a variety of actions, such as blue pulling stars which Mario can guide himself towards, shooting Mario from a cannon, feeding Hungry Lumas, and more.

As for the music, wow. Just wow. Nintendo really delivered the best soundtrack that I've heard in years, even surpassing the likes of Shadow of the Collosus, Metroid Prime, and others. Galaxy was Nintendo's first real foray into orchestrated music, and it payed absolute dividends. Galaxy's insane level design makes it already feel epic enough, but the sweeping score just bring it to another level. Often orchestarted music in games impacts on compostion in favour of instrumentation, but Galaxy strikes the perfect balance, creating tunes that you just won't be able get out of your head. It's the perfect demonstration of the Sound of Mario in the new generation.

I won't list them all, but some of my favourites include, Good Egg Galaxy, Space Junk Galaxy, Buoy Base Galaxy, Megaleg Battle, Bowser Battle and Bowser Final Battle, and my favourite (and the best videogame music for a very long time), Gusty Garden Galaxy. Of course, there's tons more I could mention. An absolutely outstanding musical achievement and hopefully its only a sign of things to come from Nintendo in the future.

As for the beautiful art, well, if I may, I'll let the screens below indicate just how beautiful the game really is. Of course, it's in motion where it all comes to life, particularly the outstanding animation. The movement of Mario and all other characters within the game is simply sublime. One particular moment that comes to mind is the spider boss that you find in one of the stars in one of my favourite levels, Space Junk Galaxy. For those who have the game (which should be all of you - and if not - shame on you), check out the insane animations of the boss, as well as the sublime physics of the webbing, which you can play around within after defeating the boss. Moments such as these are absolutely littered throughout the game and only further display Nintendo's at-times obsessive attention to detail.

I hope the screens below help reawaken the memories for those who've played the game, and for those who haven't (once again, shame on you), they should demonstrate the sheer artistic beauty of Super Mario Galaxy.

000.jpg
005.jpg

036.jpg
045.jpg

053.jpg
111.jpg

065.jpg
056.jpg

096.jpg
146.jpg

200.jpg
241.jpg

319.jpg
351.jpg

500.jpg
399.jpg

699.jpg
495.jpg

119.jpg
137.jpg

394.jpg
057.jpg

072.jpg
007.jpg

548.jpg
616.jpg

657.jpg
284.jpg

109.jpg
302.jpg

023.jpg
109.jpg

250.jpg
391.jpg

447.jpg
469.jpg

040.jpg
491.jpg

663.jpg
267.jpg

405.jpg
009.jpg

254.jpg
408.jpg

233.jpg
304.jpg

358.jpg
491.jpg

044.jpg
156.jpg

236.jpg
242.jpg

100.jpg
190.jpg

023.jpg
053.jpg

264.jpg
424.jpg

082.jpg
048.jpg

239.jpg
440.jpg

578.jpg
100.jpg

280.jpg
093.jpg

132.jpg
195.jpg

092.jpg
135.jpg

186.jpg
247.jpg

364.jpg
016.jpg

095.jpg
108.jpg

289.jpg
062.jpg

250.jpg
559.jpg

022.jpg
203.jpg

549.jpg
591.jpg

778.jpg
623.jpg

084.jpg
262.jpg

495.jpg
017.jpg

221.jpg
256.jpg

008.jpg
099.jpg

112.jpg
321.jpg

408.jpg
450.jpg

623.jpg
006.jpg

055.jpg
079.jpg

140.jpg
187.jpg

226.jpg
260.jpg

Not a bad looking game, huh?

However, as good as Galaxy is, it's not perfect. No game can be, and I think it's worthwhile to point out Galaxy's few flaws.

The first that comes to mind is its difficulty. Though I appreciate that Nintendo didn't want to scare of novice players too early in the game, the first 60 stars are usually pretty easy. Of course, they're very very very fun, but I would have appreciated some more difficulty in the earlier sections of the game, particularly for the bosses, which looked amazing but were mostly pushovers (save a select couple, especially Bouldergeist and his very challenging Daredevil Comit). Thankfully, the difficulty does ramp up for the last 60 stars, especially for the Purple Coin stars, which are a delight for the hardcore gamer. These stars, in particular Luigi's Purple Coins and Dreadnought's Purple Coins, were some of my favourite stages in the game and required a lot of effort and skill to accomplish.

Another issue that arose from time to time were somewhat underwhelming stars. Though rare, some stars weren't so hot. Examples that come to mind include the diving test star in Beach Bowl Galaxy, most of the stars in Sea Slide Galaxy, and several others. In fact, that bring me to another point - there were too many water stages in the game. Beach Bowl. Sea Slide. Buoy Base. Deep Dark. Bonefin. Drip Drop. Bigmouth. And others. It was just too much, and it didn't help that the swimming controls weren't always so crash hot. Of course, stuff like Buoy Base and Bonefin Galaxy were absolute gold, but I would have appreciated a bit less water and bit more really exciting stuff like Matter Splatter or Sweet Sweet Galaxy.

My last, and very petty, complaint is the interface. The hub world is absolutely fine - I think it had a lot of character, fantastic music (which developed as you progressed through the game) and everything was very easy to access. However, the process to getting to your desired star takes too long. First you have to find your dome, then you have to pull Mario to the blue star, then you have the select your Galaxy, then you have to confirm that you want to go to that galaxy, then you have to watch Mario fly to that galaxy, then you have to select your star, then you have to watch the star spin, and finally you are able to play. Yes, it's a tiny issue, but it's too long and I want to see Nintendo really try to speed this up in the next Mario game.

These complaints are incredibly small, and any negative within the game is completely overshadowed by the sheer genius that occupies 99% of Super Mario Galaxy. Flying through space. Wall-jumping up waterfalls. Shooting out erupting volcanoes. Navigating a sandcastle upside down. Racing a giant Boo through a course made out of giant bones. Iceskating on lava. Running on apples suspended in mid-air. Jumping on a planet made out of Yoshi's head. Moments like these - hundreds of them - are what makes Galaxy so great. It's not about delivering the most cinematic experience of all time. It's about being fun. It's why we game, and it's why Super Mario Galaxy is gaming's greatest achievement in a very long time.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
In my opinion it's the best Mario game, the best Wii game, the best Nintendo game, and easily one of the greatest games ever created.

You asses are reminding me that I really loved this game and need to go back and play it some more.

It really is one of the greatest games of all time, and currently my favorite game of this generation.

I won't be buying many games this year, so I have to replay a lot of my old ones. I started replaying this one the other day, and it is possibly my favorite game. So perfect.

Rezbit

TheKingsCrown said:
The stage where you first roll around on the ball is the stage that made me realize how amazing the game is.

Yeah agreed, having the tempo of the music related to the speed of the ball made me squeal.

I'll throw my hat onto the "I love SMG OMG it's soooo good" pile.

I never got 120 stars in Mario 64, I never bought Mario Sunshine. To be honest I'm not that big a fan of Mario in general, but Super Mario Galaxy is just so well designed and so much fun that I'd quite easily put it in any top 5 list for best game ever.

The reward for getting 120 stars is not what I wanted, but I think that now enough time has passed for me to play through it again.

ziran

Proven said:
YOU FORGOT THE FLYING BLACK SUITED MARIO!
Yeah, I forgot about it! :(

I've updated now with Mario in all his flying glory!

_Alkaline_ said:
...excellent comments...
I agree, great post!

While the game does have faults, especially in some of the presentation and the way you enter each level, which comes off as clumsy and was clearly the last thing on the list, it doesn't take away from how incredible the game works as a whole. It really is wonderful!

Also, another special mention about the animation. It's stunning! So fluid and 'animated', it's probably the best I've ever seen.

And, one final push for Tab0203's (BTW, thanks for making them!) excellent 'JUMP' series of videos. I've amended the original post to make it clear where they are, and posted them again here. If you haven't seen them they really are brilliant, and if you have, another watch can only bring joy into the world! :D

Super Mario Galaxy - Jump Compilation: Best of 1-5

Super Mario Galaxy - Jump Compilation 6

Super Mario Galaxy - Jump Compilation 5

Super Mario Galaxy - Jump Compilation 4

Super Mario Galaxy - Jump Compilation 3

Super Mario Galaxy - Jump Compilation 2

Super Mario Galaxy - Jump Compilation 1

Super Mario Galaxy - Jump Compilation: Luigi Edition

Tab0203

ziran said:
And, one final push for Tab0203's (BTW, thanks for making them!) excellent 'JUMP' series of videos. I've amended the original post to make it clear where they are, and posted them again here. If you haven't seen them they really are brilliant, and if you have, another watch can only bring joy into the world! :D
Holy shit! You're welcome. :) Don't oversell them. :lol

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
a game so good it brings out the irrational side of me. i'm normally very open to debate, but if you don't like super mario galaxy, you are wrong. your neighbors hate you. your dog shits in your mouth while you sleep. everything in your life is wrong.

Gabyskra

Banned
Fantastic game. Something that has not been said enough is how playing with the wiimote makes so much sense for Mario Galaxy. It would not have been quite as great if it was not for the experience of having hands apart from one another as you control such genius platforming action.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I would do anything for an SMG remix or hard mode or mission mode or whatever...basically, a game that used SMG's long list of awesome mechanics/gimmicks but in new, more difficult ways.

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
Chairman Yang said:
I would do anything for an SMG remix or hard mode or mission mode or whatever...basically, a game that used SMG's long list of awesome mechanics/gimmicks but in new, more difficult ways.
A direct followup could have saved E3 :D

Great game, awesome thread. I pretty much agree with everyone's posts here. The game is amazing and top notch, but when it's all over, it left alot to be desired...especially for more difficult levels. I think a SMG2 in the likes of Lost Levels would rock. Using the same engine as SMG, but with new levels that are actually challenging!

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I had my fiancee get this game the other day and we played together till pretty late in the night (I was on 2p duty). It was interesting because it had been a while since I had seen the game and it blew me away all over again.

It really has the best visuals of any game this gen, in my opinion. The music is still amazing. It still has that impact, it was really awesome. Kinda funny this thread showed up when it did.

I found the 2 player mode was a really easy way of getting my fiancee into the game. She kinda has a Mario phobia so at first she wasn't having much fun, but by the time we were done she was having a great time.

Just brilliant design all around.

ziran

Updated with Koizumi Interviews:
IGN - Nov 29 2007
Gamespot - Dec 1 2007
Game Daily - Dec 3 2007
Next Gen - Dec 3 2007
Wired - Dec 4 2007
1UP/EGM - Feb 19 2008

If anybody knows of anymore let me know and I'll add them, thanks. And, if you haven't read the Wired one, it really is very good!

TheKingsCrown said:
Guybrush Threepwood said:
If you're going to talk about bad controls at least talk about this:

2043921390_2aefaa2120.jpg
If I had to take a very educated guess it would be that that was very much intentional on the development part. I cracked up trying to control that fucking thing, it made it more fun!:lol
Interestingly, I came across this interview from 1UP/EGM - Feb 19 2008, which I hadn't seen, and you're right:
EGM: Speaking about those powerup suits for Mario.... Sure, they're cute, but we feel like Mario's more fun to control without them.

YK: We deliberately made many of the power-ups so that they'd limit Mario's abilities, because we wanted the player to have to balance the loss of some powers while gaining others, to put a very real risk/reward decision in the hands of the player. For example, you see the spring power-up, and if you take it, you will not be able to perform all of your moves -- but you may see a high platform that was previously unreachable.
It makes sense, because the game at a base level controls pretty much flawlessly, so anything less would likely be deliberate on the part of the developer.

Also, there's another interesting part where Koizumi talks about why he didn't have the flying suit more available:
EGM: The Red Star flying suit is totally fun, but why not allow users to play with it in a real level?

YK: I'm sad that you're not able to use that ability more, because I'm personally a big fan of that style of flying in Mario games. I felt that I had to get that in the game no matter what, even if I had to shoehorn it in a bit. I was afraid of breaking the game balance by letting you use it all over, though, because many levels wouldn't work if you could fly straight to the end of them.
Still, for completing with 242 stars it would've been a nice unlockable to have in every level.

Tab0203 said:
Holy shit! You're welcome. :) Don't oversell them. :lol
You can't oversell them Tab, they're too good! But, that was my last plug ;)

sp0rsk said:
I had my fiancee get this game the other day and we played together till pretty late in the night (I was on 2p duty). It was interesting because it had been a while since I had seen the game and it blew me away all over again.

It really has the best visuals of any game this gen, in my opinion. The music is still amazing. It still has that impact, it was really awesome. Kinda funny this thread showed up when it did.

I found the 2 player mode was a really easy way of getting my fiancee into the game. She kinda has a Mario phobia so at first she wasn't having much fun, but by the time we were done she was having a great time.

Just brilliant design all around.
Yeah, I've played a fair amount of co-op and it really is a lot of fun, especially with people who would never think about playing a 3D Mario game.

Zihark

Just started playing the game- its a really lovely game. I tend to like games like this vivid, brilliant and full of color. I pretty new to the platformer genre, so I'm finding the game tough from the get go-it seems harder then SM64 was in the beginning. But I'm a huge FE and Zelda fan, so TP and RD are still my favorite Nintendo games on the Wii.

Every time I see this thread, a smile appears on my face. This is the POWER of Galaxy.

It's the game that sells to Wii to anyone and and kills their argument that Wii games suck. It's also great as the one game that truly is the polar opposite from all the other big games this generation. Such a breath of fresh air. :D

Ifrit

Just posting to show my love, this game really leaves you wanting more after you finish it and the music is godly. Game of the Generation

Pyrokai

Damn....this thread makes me want to replay the game, and I've already played through it twice to 100%. This game is truly a masterpiece.

Scipius

skinnyrattler said:
Am I a bad person for not finishing this game? Not even once? I have to finish GTA first.

You do not have to finish GTAIV first. You have to finish SMG first.

Despite being very close in overall review scores, in a few years there will be a wide gap in how these two games are perceived.

Also, any game publication that gave its music or sound awards to anything other than SMG clearly doesn't know what they're talking about. Any publication that did not even nominate SMG for such awards can be written off as blathering idiots.

andthebeatgoeson

Some games are just doomed to not being played. Or finished.

Put another way, ain't no way in hell, I'll ever pick up GTA4 if I put it down if I can't get enough energy to finish San Andreas. I am playing thru SMB3 (GBA version) on my DS. Does that count? Or, to foreshadow my future, I'll probably beat SMG 8 times before I even finish GTA4. I don't want to put it down because I'll never pick it back up. Like a retard baby. With a shitty diaper.

ziran

skinnyrattler said:
Am I a bad person for not finishing this game? Not even once? I have to finish GTA first.
No. From your posts here I don't think you're ever a bad person! ;)

But, eventually, one day, do yourself a favour if you have even the slightest inclination this game could be great, and finish it with at least 120 stars. I think you'll love it!

And if you don't enjoy it, remember GAF exists for you to bitch about it, so it's win, win!

AniHawk

The Blue Jihad said:
That's a long time to spend on a game where the first sixty hours are substandard to almost boring. This is where Galaxy missed the mark for a SMB3 feel. You didn't need to spend hours in SMB3 to get to the good stuff.

Back when Kirby Air Ride came out, a poster here famously made the comment that it's really fun after sixty hours. I can't remember how it was worded, but apparently it's faded from people's minds now.

Top Bottom