• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario in Die Nacht des Grauens (Mario's german satanic comics)

Were these strips drawn by actual German artists?

Some time ago, I've read an interesting interview with Claude M. Moyse (German). Apparently the Club Nintendo editorial staff took turns making up the stories and had a bunch of fun with that. They had to send them the text and scribbles to artists in Japan, who'd send back drafts, then the German staff would send back what they wanted changed, where the speech bubbles should go etc. Since the artists didn't want to use email, this was all done using regular mail. If you can read German, I really recommend reading that interview. It has some very interesting first hand details about what was going on at Club Nintendo/NoE, how "Holerö" appeared and how Secret of Mana was localized.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
XxkFV8p.jpg

lol, the fucking Holerö thing of german CN :D Good times! Also yes, I remember this comic!

The best April Fool's are the ones that are actually real. Oh Germany, how could you have official devil worshipping Mario, but can't have dead zombies lay on the ground for more than a few seconds?

Those were aweseome. I specifically remember the Zelda comic in the magazine close to the release of Ocarina of Time. In it they show how Link ended up in the wood village and who his parents were (hint: random people from Hyrule). Back then I was confused why they didn't show this in the game^^

Hah, nice reference to Rammstein's Engel ("Wir haben Angst und sind allein").

IIRC all these people ere fired at once when NCL decided Nintendo Germany could perform better (the marketing department was behind these).

]I woulda loved being a German translator for Nintendo back in the 90s, I could've done what I wanted and nobody would've noticed, lol.
Same goes for being a French translator. There is a GAF thread that translates part of that Moyse interview where he describes what happened down in NCL with him and the French translator.

tumblr_mdlsqnKYzy1rrftcdo1_500.jpg

I really like this idea of Bowser and Wario's team rocket-like antics

with bitchin space suits
I'll be serious here. These need to be alternative costumes in Smah Bros (even if its just Team Battle).

Savitar

When I read this on cracked.com I knew someone was going to mention it!

Granted half thought it might be due to the naked Roll from the Brazilian Mega Man stuff but the Prince Peach face was what I counted on.

Classic stuff.

Hypnotoad

banjo_01.jpg

Thinking back to the 90s, the last panel should be a parody of Verona Feldbusch, who had a sex talkshow during nighttime.

I woulda loved being a German translator for Nintendo back in the 90s, I could've done what I wanted and nobody would've noticed, lol.
It's still like that to some extent no? Every Zelda game including Skyward Sword is totally different in German then in English. They not only change character names, but also alter dialogues, jokes and even change relationships sometimes by editing the dialogue. They also change historical facts about Hyrule or present them differently.

kingkaiser

Some time ago, I've read an interesting interview with Claude M. Moyse (German). Apparently the Club Nintendo editorial staff took turns making up the stories and had a bunch of fun with that. They had to send them the text and scribbles to artists in Japan, who'd send back drafts, then the German staff would send back what they wanted changed, where the speech bubbles should go etc. Since the artists didn't want to use email, this was all done using regular mail. If you can read German, I really recommend reading that interview. It has some very interesting first hand details about what was going on at Club Nintendo/NoE, how "Holerö" appeared and how Secret of Mana was localized.

WTF? So he was almost done with the localization of FF6 but then Nintendo canceled it?

Fick dich Nintendo!

Edit: He also can't stand Iwata/Sakurai and thus he especially made fun of Kirby in the comics...I think I love you Claudio!

IIRC all these people ere fired at once when NCL decided Nintendo Germany could perform better (the marketing department was behind these).

Same goes for being a French translator. There is a GAF thread that translates part of that Moyse interview where he describes what happened down in NCL with him and the French translator.

Ah, right, there's a thread about it already: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=424989

mantidor

If someone told me there were official Nintendo comics out there with Cthulhu, transvestite Mario and Satan pacting with Wario I would have never believed it.

Tarsul

where's the one with kirby driving at night with sunglasses?

I never knew they were German only, I always imagined they came from Nintendo Japan or America. Funny. How lucky we are!

Amalthea

Banned
Yeah, those comics were pretty disturbing especially as a child.
NoE must have been pure anarchy in the 90's.
But I still use Hollerö as a Spot Pass message. lol

Myriadis

I actually remember quite some of them from my childhood. The Ocarina of Time one is exactly as I remembered it, and I also remember the one from Yoshis Island and Story.

18wPKWW.png

Yoshis being racist.

--------
0VwsDfJ.jpg

This is how you know it's German.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, SalsaShark. I'm claiming spacesuit Wario as my avatar for a while.

Top Bottom