• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker: Not all tools available from the start, unlock over 9 days

Ooccoo

The new DLC: buy now, enjoy later

I'll buy when the game is two weeks old. Fuck that noise.

edit: Wait, it's even worse. You need to unlock the tools over 9 days. WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

zulux21

I dont understand why this is a big deal. So in the first 9 days just get used to making amazing levels with the tools that are available to you. Each day you get something new to add to your levels. Seems like a pointless thing to moan about.

first off it should always be the players choice. at the very least there should be an option to opt out and unlock everything in options (there might be)

if there isn't then you are looking at two cases that could be a huge pain.

case 1, you are an expert mario maker level creator but you lose your save for some reason (system breaks need to get a new one, sibling delete save ect) you now have to wait 9 days to get access back the the tools you already know how to use well.

case 2, you know the tool and want to show off level creation at a friends house. they own a wiiu but not the game. You either had to bring the game over earlier in order to unlock all of the tools, or not be able to show off everything as you will have the limits in place.

I am not saying a slow learning system is a horrible thing but again it has to be an option.

I am also not trying to claim that those two situations will be common, but in general you shouldn't put artificial limits such as these on people without a way to skip them.

I imagine though that even if the game doesn't ship with a way to skip them, there will be an option patched in later.

It literally does make everything easier but you're just refusing to see it because it doesn't fit in with the OH MY GOD I'M SO ANGRY narrative.

I should note I am not even mad about this limit as I likely won't use the creation system (nor am I angry in general, just hoping that there is an opt out for people who don't want to deal with an artificer limit), but no this doesn't remotely make everything easier. a gradual learning process for the tools yes, but if you are someone who can quickly figure out things all it does is limit what you can do and make it harder for you to make the level you really want in the first 9 days.

Forkball

Pokémon does drip-feed its types, it's not like you walk into the grass outside Pallet Town and there's a bloody great dragon type there. It does it differently but it still does it gradually.

Seriously though, IT'S NINE DAYS. If the world ends sometime in the nine days after Super Mario Maker releases then I apologise because boy will I have egg on my face but seriously this is so fucking insignificant.

It doesn't drip-feed via a calendar. Of course games present you with the basics before it introduces more complexities, but regulating this to actual real time is lunacy. Seriously, what advantage does this serve? Why not make it to where one set is unlocked after you make X amount of maps, and then the other set is unlocked after you make more maps, and so forth. That way, people who are trying to learn get everything slowly, while others who want to dive in can just make junk maps to quickly unlock stuff.

You may say it's just nine days, but where's the line? Is ten days ok? Eleven days? Is twelve days too much? It's completely arbitrary.

Why did Sakurai give us almost fifty Smash characters? Why didn't he only have the base roster the first day, and then on the second day you could unlock Falco, and on the third day you could unlock Wario, and on the fourth day you could get ROB. After about three weeks, you can have the full roster.

IT'S SO DUMB

kiguel182

Why?

They want to force people to learn the tools with an arbitrary limitation? Sometimes I just don't understand Nintendo.

Sure, it's only 9 days but there's no reason for it to be.

Camjo-Z

Why should any tools be locked off in the first place? What tools people will use will vary, so you may not care, but someone else will, and the point is to just unlock everything so everyone can use it.

It's not the biggest deal, it's just mildly annoying.

Probably so people actually understand the level editor and don't immediately get overwhelmed. I could never get into stuff like Project Spark and LBP's level editors because there's so much stuff to learn and you're forced to sit through loads of tutorials to fully understand it all. At least they're trying something different here.

Kids are building castles and cities in Minecraft. They're not going to be overwhelmed by 2 different kinds of Koopa.

If making structures in Minecraft was anything like making good level designs, I'd agree with you.

Nintendo seriously shot themselves in the foot. I'm not going to buy this game. There are a ton of over games coming out this fall that will be complete DAY 1! Why am I going to wait one day to play a game I payed for in full?

Full price = full game.

I'm selling my Wii U.

:p

It literally does make everything easier but you're just refusing to see it because it doesn't fit in with the OH MY GOD I'M SO ANGRY narrative.

What about that post was angry?

Nintendo seriously shot themselves in the foot. I'm not going to buy this game. There are a ton of over games coming out this fall that will be complete DAY 1! Why am I going to wait one day to play a game I payed for in full?

Full price = full game.

I'm selling my Wii U.

:p

I'm considering just asking a mod to lock this thread.

Clearly people are having a hard time discerning between simple annoyance and outrage.

At this point, who the hell is a newcomer to Mario sidescrollers - especially the hardcore Nintendo fans who own a Wii U? God, Nintendo is so out of touch.

In the contrary, Nintendo has to come up with ideas to emulate the rest of the industry, in this case, the game not fully working until days after release date.

Obviously they can't botch the game so it doesn't work, instead, they hide some content.

Think about it this way: if this was a western company game, you wouldn't be able to use these items, they would crash the game.

Slow rollout already killed Splatoon for me. Nice to see Nintendo wants to completely destroy any interest I have in Mario Maker as well. With Splatoon, I guess the rollout kind of made sense, but since I really enjoyed the game, it just lead to me burning out incredibly fast since there was so little content. Now I apparently get to jump through hoops for 9 days if I want to enjoy Mario Maker? Awful.

I'm shocked that people are trying to defend this. 9 days is a ridiculous amount of time. I already have so little patience for tutorials that I tend to drop games within minutes if the intro feels too hand-holdy. A 9 day long tutorial? No way I'll ever get through that.

Why did Sakurai give us almost fifty Smash characters? Why didn't he only have the base roster the first day, and then on the second day you could unlock Falco, and on the third day you could unlock Wario, and on the fourth day you could get ROB. After about three weeks, you can have the full roster.

IT'S SO DUMB

Melee required you to play the game for 20 hours before you could unlock the last two characters and All Star mode, along with almost half of the stages in the game.

I don't like when these threads turn into people shitting on each other for "defending" or being "against" the topic on hand.
For me it's no problem. I was fine with it for splatoon and I'm fine here.

400 Pokemon locked behind a 2 week "time wall" because it might be too overwhelming for the new players.

It really is just silly. I'm OK with DVDs being packaged with Mario Galaxy to help people out but then forcing your system upon everyone is just intrusive. Stuff like this makes me think the developer has no faith in their products even a week after launch.

The new DLC: buy now, enjoy later

I'll buy when the game is two weeks old. Fuck that noise.

This isn't DLC. You can probably change the clocks and get all the content. It's annoying, but it's nowhere near as bad as you think. Also, it's based on the time you buy the game, so waiting ain't gonna do shit.

But it's still very possible to be confused. A tutorial would make things "literally easier" because it's more informative than, say, removing content.

It makes it easier by removing options, but gamers aren't so stupid. At least I'd like to believe.

On the topic of creators, didn't LBP1 and 2 have that issue that 3 did away with? Trying to get the bubbles that I needed was annoying and didn't help me learn shit. I'm all for creators giving the content upfront, even if Nintendo is putting a 9 day lock that won't matter because of the clock changing tech.

I'm worried that Nintendo has given the community too much credit, and having all the tools available within nine days (which is totally insignificant by the way - it's like nothing!) will be way too overwhelming.

Instead, I think players should only get new tools once a year, for nine years. It'll really give players enough time to digest the full scope of each set of tools. I'm worried that some people won't fully explore all of the options if they don't take a full year to check each tool set out.

Molemitts

How? I already explained if they wanted to introduce content at a gradual pace for inexperienced players there's far better ways to do that then making players wait days for new content.

El Odio

Banned
Personally I really don't mind the restriction but I can see why some people can be upset about it, especially since it means we'll have to wait a good while before some crazy course online. That said some of the hyperbole reactions about how this suddenly means all games are gonna have crazy ass restrictions or its a serious deal breaker seem like a bit much.

Xellos

Makes sense. Gradually introduce the various enemies and items so first time level designers get a better understanding of each one. More advanced players will find it frustrating, but worst case is only a 9 day wait.

I'm sure that I won't be ready for the full tool set on day one, so this doesn't bother me.

400 Pokemon locked behind a 2 week "time wall" because it might be too overwhelming for the new players.

It really is just silly. I'm OK with DVDs being packaged with Mario Galaxy to help people out but then forcing your system upon everyone is just intrusive. Stuff like this makes me think the developer has no faith in their products even a week after launch.
I can see your point but I don't understand why you respond to me in particular.
If for my first statement I was just talking in general, no one specifically.

I'm worried that Nintendo has given the community too much credit, and having all the tools available within nine days (which is totally insignificant by the way - it's like nothing!) will be way too overwhelming.

Instead, I think players should only get new tools once a year, for nine years. It'll really give players enough time to digest the full scope of each set of tools. I'm worried that some people won't fully explore all of the options if they don't take a full year to check each tool set out.

If you are worried, hope that Nintendo puts in a tutorial, or at least goes into detail online somewhere. I doubt they'd ship this game with just the 9 day features alone as a way of teaching people.

Slow rollout already killed Splatoon for me. Nice to see Nintendo wants to completely destroy any interest I have in Mario Maker as well. With Splatoon, I guess the rollout kind of made sense, but since I really enjoyed the game, it just lead to me burning out incredibly fast since there was so little content. Now I apparently get to jump through hoops for 9 days if I want to enjoy Mario Maker? Awful.

I'm shocked that people are trying to defend this. 9 days is a ridiculous amount of time. I already have so little patience for tutorials that I tend to drop games within minutes if the intro feels too hand-holdy. A 9 day long tutorial? No way I'll ever get through that.

You don't want to buy a game because of an annoying feature? Like dude, that's going too far.

Alucrid

Banned
Seems like too little time to actually help people ease into it and too much time for people who know they want to jump in right away. Terrible decision.

Pandy

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I doubt this is some "games as a service" experiment shit. Just a silly one off thing that'll people changing the clocks.

That implies that people need to do so, or that this limit is going to magically make people produce better levels. A more surefire way is a damn good tutorial, something of which other creators lack.

I mean, they are halfway there with the drag-and-drop aspect and the tablet.
90% of people who THINK they know what they are doing would ignore any tutorial, and go on to make crappy levels and blame the editor for their failings.

If there was a forced in-depth tutorial that lasted 10 hours, or something, people would be complaining even more so and many people wouldn't get to the end to ever build their own level.

All things considered, the 'Brain Training' approach is a pretty neat solution.

MrBadger

Can people not be legitimately annoyed about this, or discuss methods they think would suit people's needs better? I agree that this isn't a deal breaker or a reason to doubt every game Nintendo releases from now on, but it's still a bit of a pain for a lot of people.

It doesn't drip-feed via a calendar. Of course games present you with the basics before it introduces more complexities, but regulating this to actual real time is lunacy. Seriously, what advantage does this serve?

I've given you a bunch of advantages. Whether they lock it by time played or lock it by days played they're still locking it and if you're going to call it arbitrary then they're as arbitrary as each other.

This way everyone learns together. The first nine days of this game will be amazing as everyone unlocks all the tools together and it'll be an amazing community. You'll mess around with your five tools then go online and see something someone else did with those same five tools that makes your jaw drop. And you'll get the same experience nine days over.

And again, if that kind of thing isn't for you, then you'll still only have a week to wait until you've got it all and you can make shitty levels because you haven't really practiced using anything. By the time the first week's up you'll have forgotten the tools were ever locked.

What about that post was angry?

I was referring to the tone of the thread in general. See the previous "IT'S SO DUMB" post I quoted.

I can see your point but I don't understand why you respond to me in particular.
If for my first statement I was just talking in general, no one specifically.

I quotes the wrong person. Apologies

Melee required you to play the game for 20 hours before you could unlock the last two characters and All Star mode, along with almost half of the stages in the game.

All that does is say Nintendo are still stuck in 2001.

Guys, nobody is outraged or furious or whatever. Just mostly annoyed at how silly the whole thing is. Like as if 9 days is going to make or break someone's creative spirit. It's just long enough to annoy and too short to provide any meaningful tutorialization. 9 days later, people are still either going to get it, or not. 9 days later, most levels online will be 1 room Bowser-filled hell challenges.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I assume they have thought about people adjusting Wii U's internal clock to make the process faster. But perhaps could still be worth a try.

Guys, nobody is outraged or furious or whatever. Just mostly annoyed at how silly the whole thing is. Like as if 9 days is going to make or break someone's creative spirit. It's just long enough to annoy and too short to provide any meaningful tutorialization. 9 days later, people are still either going to get it, or not. 9 days later, most levels online will be 1 room Bowser-filled hell challenges.

I can't quote this enough.

The only person in this thread that appears to be outraged is DBreakfast.

Recall

It's not an annoying feature. It's actually the exact opposite: an annoying lack of features.

Buy the game 2 weeks after it's launch and then you get everything?

It's no different to buying AAA games and waiting 3 months till they patch it to make it actually functional... :p

Ooccoo

The comparison with Smash doesn't work. If I could unlock everything day one I wouldn't have a problem, but over 9 days? That's just stupid and inexcusable.

Couleurs

Can people not be legitimately annoyed about this, or discuss methods they think would suit people's needs better? I agree that this isn't a deal breaker or a reason to doubt every game Nintendo releases from now on, but it's still a pain in the ass for a lot of people.

It's just another one of things where if it EA or Ubisoft make a dumb decision it gets ripped to shreds, but when it's Nintendo people do all sorts of mental gymnastics to justify/defend it.

Rösti;175166640 said:
I assume they have thought about people adjusting Wii U's internal clock to make the process faster. But perhaps could still be worth a try.

Hopefully September 11th is set as "day one" so if you want to upload a level it won't let you do it with any tools other than day one's.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Why?

They want to force people to learn the tools with an arbitrary limitation? Sometimes I just don't understand Nintendo.

Sure, it's only 9 days but there's no reason for it to be.

It's just them stuck on thinking kids are the main market they have to cater to I guess. But even that's seems misguide, as someone noted above, since kids have been building shit in Minecraft for ages.

Moot for me as I don't care about making levels and will only buy after a few months if it gets good reviews and GAF consensus is that there's a great library of user generated content.

tariniel

So, wait 9 days after launch, enough time to hear from the early adopters if it's actually good and worth the money, and then buy and get access to all of it at once? Sounds just fine to me.

Top Bottom