• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Run trailer (12/8) "Meet SMR" new modes, Playable characters

This is a reminder that Super Mario Run is being directed by Takashi Tezuka, who also directed Super Mario Bros. 2 (JP), Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, Super Mario All-Stars and SMW2: Yoshi's Island.

It's going to be great.

Raitaro

We're never going to get rid of this New Mario art style aren't we? Especially if this game becomes succesfull (which it undoubtedly will).

If I had known Nintendo planned on actually using it for all 2D Mario games going forward, I'd have protested even harder back in the day when the first New Mario game came out.

I get that the graphics are functional and easy to read and all but man, do they continue to look uninspired and soulless from an artisitic standoint. My motivation to play them is instantly gone (even when the gameplay looks solid) when all these games look identical to the last one with Mario running through what seem to be the exact same level themes again and again. What happened to Nintendo re-imagining Mario and his world every game to make each of them feel fresh and unique (like they luckily still do with Zelda to a degree)?

Old complaint at this point, I know I know, but seeing as most here seem to be actually interested in this new one, I assume because for them gameplay trumps all, I couldn't resist offering my more "unique art and atmosphere comes first" perspective. What worries me most, as said above, is that SMR might actually kill any chance we'll ever see them use a different art style because the larger public they will gather with this game might be thrown of by something lacking instant familiarity. Guess my last hope is on the 3D Mario team to deliver something a bit more unique visually, but at least the first signs for that are good.

sanstesy

This is a reminder that Super Mario Run is being directed by Takashi Tezuka, who also directed Super Mario Bros. 2 (JP), Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, Super Mario All-Stars and SMW2: Yoshi's Island.

It's going to be great.

Do we know for sure he is directing, though?

GeNoMe

So for as far as I can see, there will be zero micro transactions in this?
All in game currency will be accumulated by simply playing the game?

orhnsnmz

"Tap for stylish jumps!" got annoying really fast in the video, guess they ran out of cool things to show off about this game.

All in all I think it will be an entertaining game for a (rather short) while, but that's probably it.
Don't think that this will be worth 10 bucks whatsoever in a market where there are tons of similar equally well-made experiences on mobile for way less.

People will buy it like crazy anyway, so good for Nintendo.

serTA7S.jpg
"You...got anymore of dem ssssstylish moves ?"

(Game looks fun. Waiting patiently to try on Android)

sanstesy

Really? I didn't know.. so he has just been producing/overseeing?

Yes. It's because when you get promoted from director to a producer role at Nintendo younger employees will take their place and as a result they don't direct games anymore.

Maybe this is is a good sign that things will change in this regard, though.

Has a lot more then I expected from a runner game . Nintendo could have chucked out anything for a quick buck and it still would have made millions (flappy yoshi).

But they have done a ton of work to keep it interesting and fresh . I am curious if you auto jump over goombas can you never die by enemies ? I assume you die if you hit turtles or ghosts ?

sugarless

I was inordinately pleased that they used the classic jump sound effect for Mario at the end of the commerical rather than those incessant whooping vocalisations. At least in the game the basic jump is a sound effect and the WHOO WHOO WHOO YIHAAAA is reserved for more flashy ones. Although it looks like we'll be pulling lots of those off...

Burny

But they have done a ton of work to keep it interesting and fresh . I am curious if you auto jump over goombas can you never die by enemies ? I assume you die if you hit turtles or ghosts ?

I suspect you can absolutely die by enemies, but it comes very, very much down to timing. Time a jump poorly and you might jump/run headlong into an enemy or the enemy walks off a ledge, falling on your head.

magnetic

I actually find this more appealing than the traditional Mario platformer style. Everything after Mario World kinda bored me, but I really like this reduced one button approach - seems more arcade-style to me, almost like a rhythm game.

It's all about execution and level design, and Nintendo has always been good with that. Looks like they really thought long and hard about the implications and possibilities with this auto run approach.

The entire pinball genre exists with basically two buttons, and those games have a huge amount of depth and variety, so the "but only one button!" part never really worried me.

ZeroX03

Banned
That level design looks really solid, and Tezuka is the real deal. This should be a great game.

Not sure why people are so surprised, it seemed pretty obvious they were putting in the effort for this one.

I actually find this more appealing than the traditional Mario platformer style. Everything after Mario World kinda bored me, but I really like this reduced one button approach - seems more arcade-style to me, almost like a rhythm game.

It's all about execution and level design, and Nintendo has always been good with that.

The entire pinball genre exists with basically two buttons, and those games have a huge amount of depth and variety, so the "but only one button!" part never really worried me.

how can you say that while also saying Mario games after SMW bored you? Mario games have always had excellent design and execution.

i don't get how pinball has depth and variety when compared to video games, like seriously.

Svafnir

I just don't think there will be enough levels in this. Isn't rumoured to be around 20-30? Seems crazy low for $10 even with the other modes.

BowieZ

Banned

It's going to be great.
You kidding me?! Fuck yeah!!

We can already see the SMB2/SMW influence with the Ninjis. Promising!

entremet

I can't believe I'm most excited for a mobile game this holiday season.

My how times have changed.

What the hell, this actually looks good for a runner.

Nintendo are legendary designers. This is reason people were wanting on their big mobile push. We knew it wasn't going to be low budget tripe.

daakusedo

The samurai Mario shirt worn by Miyamoto has the super mario run logo, so like the theory for the new 3d game, looks like there are different costumes.

Efejota

For some reason I read Peach in the first post and now I'm disappointed.
Her floating is similar to Yoshi, but she could have made the cut anyway.

Berordn

For some reason I read Peach in the first post and now I'm disappointed.
Her floating is similar to Yoshi, but she could have made the cut anyway.

She's probably been kidnapped and as we all know, only Luigi is allowed to rescue himself.

I'm genuinely excited to play this having just watched the video. Seriously, those jump vaults and all the different moves you can pull off look incredible. Looks like there's a lot of nuance behind that single tap action. As someone else pointed out, it looks pretty arcade- and rhythm-game like.

It's going to be great.

This is exciting!

It's all about execution and level design, and Nintendo has always been good with that. Looks like they really thought long and hard about the implications and possibilities with this auto run approach.

Great point.

Top Bottom