• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Marvel vs Capcom: Hype Train to Comic Con; Now Boarding! Lupinko @ post 500+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirtbag

I think the main character from capcom's upcoming Asura's Wrath will be a pretty obvious choice. Just not sure on the timing of the release.

Dirtbag said:
I think the main character from capcom's upcoming Asura's Wrath will be a pretty obvious choice. Just not sure on the timing of the release.

You know, if we don't get Gene, I hope we at least get that guy.

Yeah, it was a big mistake to order from the Capcom Store. Well, at least I got a free strategy guide from it all...

Dirtbag said:
That would be pretty cool, actually...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Can't find those strategy guIdes anywhere anymore :/ Probably still not worth it though for those who got it late. I had an exam the evening of the day the game came out and the incredible amount of restraint I showed was not enough for me to crack the game open and get some rounds in. I still remember my first experiences with the game vividly.

Dirtbag

spindashing said:
That would be pretty cool, actually...

Yeah he looks pretty badass in general. Seems like he'd make a fun character to play with.
I'd really like to see him.

I understand the fan service of Gene / Godhand, but wasn't that kind of a poorly received franchise sales-wise? It'd seem smarter to promote their new game this way with choosing Asura over Gene

Lance Lingos is an M-Flo fan.

People reading too much into the Kylie Minogue tweet.

All of those other tweets after that are from an M-Flo song, Your Beat iirc.

Beth Cyra

Dirtbag said:
Yeah he looks pretty badass in general. Seems like he'd make a fun character to play with.

I understand the fan service of Gene / Godhand, but wasn't that kind of a poorly received franchise sales-wise? It'd seem smarter to promote their new game this way with choosing Asura over Gene
This is being very kind to how it did.

However Okami did just as bad if not worse, and yet Ammy made it so sales of the original doesn't kill Gene's chances outright.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dirtbag said:

Yeah I know people love Gene, but it's a vocal video game buying minority. Capcom is looking at the God Hand sale numbers are thinking "Yeah let's not."

I think Gene will make it in though. I certainly see him as more likely than most other characters since Capcom is much aware of the demand.

Dahbomb

Lupinko

jesus-loves-you--large-msg-117557394895.jpg

+

neogaf.png

+

marvel-vs-capcom-3-logo.jpg

=

1295660626386.jpg

Dirtbag

TruePrime said:

However Okami did just as bad if not worse, and yet Ammy made it so sales of the original doesn't kill Gene's chances outright.

Yeah, I'd like to see one of those characters make it though. Both Asura / Gene look like they'd fit a similar mold and would be a fun character to play. I don't really care which one it is personally.

Okami had a sequel that released around the time MvC3 did. Different story. Plus, the Capcom employees in general love Amaterasu. She was their first pick for inclusion on the Capcom side. When someone went up to Niitsuma and asked for Gene, Niitsuma said:

"Who?"

So who is considered the best in MvC3...what's the tier list, and what the hell is X-Factor and whats wrong with it?

Sorry, i love fighters but I just play locally and suck at them.

Dahbomb

BladeoftheImmortal said:
So who is considered the best in MvC3...what's the tier list, and what the hell is X-Factor and whats wrong with it?

If you just play locally and suck at them, this information is pretty much useless to you.

Beth Cyra

Karsticles said:
Okami had a sequel that released around the time MvC3 did. Different story. Plus, the Capcom employees in general love Amaterasu. She was their first pick for inclusion on the Capcom side. When someone went up to Niitsuma and asked for Gene, Niitsuma said:

"Who?"
While true, it doesn't change the fact that the original Okami flopped across both platforms in all territories, so the amount of copies a game sales isn't the most important factor.

Also while Gene might not have been on Niitsuma's radar it's not out of the question that he or someone on the team would at least throw him in as a possible character. Certainly doesn't mean he would get in though but I doubt he would be completely ignored with the fan out cry.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
TruePrime said:

Wait Okami sold as bad or worse than God Hand?

No way.

While true, it doesn't change the fact that the original Okami flopped across both platforms in all territories, so the amount of copies a game sales isn't the most important factor.

Also while Gene might not have been on Niitsuma's radar it's not out of the question that he or someone on the team would at least throw him in as a possible character. Certainly doesn't mean he would get in though but I doubt he would be completely ignored with the fan out cry.
If that's what you need to think to keep yourself hyped, go for it.

TDLink

Parallax Scroll said:
Wait a sec, Capcom made some of the Zelda games!

Link confirmed!

Lol, no chance unless there is a 3DS or Wii U version...granted those wouldn't be out of the question probably.

Not sure how I feel about console exclusive guest characters though...let's leave that for Soul Calibur.

Karsticles said:
The Capcom store delay wasn't Capcom's fault - don't badmouth the service when the problem was out of their hands.
Okay, then don't trust Digitalriver.

Didn't a similar thing happen for other games?

AFAIK, other games have been pretty smooth. I generally buy used or on sale. If I buy new and at release, I go by pre-order bonuses or midnight release.

Beth Cyra

God's Beard said:
No, Okami sold much much better.
I thought God Hand sold similar numbers to Okami in both Euro and NA and only tanked harder in Japan.

Well either way, doesn't change the fact that Okami sold like shit and still got Amy.

Also I don't even want Gene, the only character I care about at this point is X.

Khal_B

BladeoftheImmortal said:

Wolverine and Phoenix stocked with 5 meters are generally considered to be the best characters in the game.

Regarding X-Factor, just take a look at this vid and you'll see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0qkyGihigs

Orayn

TDLink said:
Lol, no chance unless there is a 3DS or Wii U version...granted those wouldn't be out of the question probably.

Not sure how I feel about console exclusive guest characters though...let's leave that for Soul Calibur.
Hyper/Giga/Ultra/Mecha/Superlative MvC3 for Wii-U or 3DS would make my pants explode, especially with Link.

Mista Koo

Master Milk said:
As cool as this could be, IF it happened, it'd probably just be boring ass Batsu again.
im0mX.jpg

Actually since we'll never get that game nor a Capcom vs Capcom
:(
they should bring everyone (sans new guys) from that game over. Other than the size of the roster, the character selection for that game was great! (The costumes too, the free costumes).

Skilletor said:
Except it isn't, as X has about a large a pool of moves to choose from as classic Megaman. Zero has had a similar moveset throughout all of his appearances. Even MvC3.

X gets robot masters powers. His armor offers various boosts and buffs. His main weapon is his Z-Buster. He has massive range.

X (or classic megaman) could potentially have as many moves as Dante.

Zero's main weapon is his Saber. He has limited range options. He has to get in close to do any damage.

These two ideals are fundamentally opposed. ESPECIALLY in a fighting game.

It is a FACT that the two play different, which you concede in your post. You pretty much say, "I don't think they play different even though I think they play different enough to make the gameplay different."
From your description sounds like they are exactly like S&K lol. In that game Sonic got different jump attacks from the power-ups while Knuckles only had the non standard jump glide.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
spindashing said:
Okay, then don't trust Digitalriver.

Yeah. Can't remember any specific games off the top of my head, but I know I've heard of people being burned by the online store before and it's specifically why I avoided it for MvC3.

Dahbomb

BladeoftheImmortal said:
not if i enjoy learning new things.
Tier lists don't help you learn, in fact they are the exact opposite. They restrict your sandbox potential in the game.

Technically there is no tier list and if there is one it's usually divided into "results tier" or "potential tier". Result tier is as is, meaning tiers are based on results of major tournaments. Potential tier is factoring in stuff like character tools and match ups provided the player has impeccable execution. The two tiers for MVC3 are quite different, as someone like C Viper is VERY HIGH on the potential tier list but low on the results tier.

Here is a discussion I posted on results for MVC3 and the meta-game of MVC3 leading up to EVO. There will be some technical jargon in it but it should be a good read:

Part 1

Part 2

If you want a "Potential Tier" list then I might oblige a bit later. Some people will disagree on that as everyone has their own tier lists.

Dahbomb said:
Phoenix would be at the top of both though, right?

Mista Koo said:
im0mX.jpg

they should bring everyone (sans new guys) from that game over. Other than the size of the roster, the character selection for that game was great! (The costumes too, the free costumes).
Akira would be fun to see again, though I think someone like Kyousuke would be a better fit for an MVC game. What game is that?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Don't buy this game from the capcom store.

Digitalriver see me in a dark alley.

mr. puppy

Banned
Dahbomb said:
If you just play locally and suck at them, this information is pretty much useless to you.

no thats incredibly wrong. watching streams and enjoying making you own analysis and learning from what people are doing is one of the best ways to approach a new game. its much better than being able to dominate your friends with some retard strat that you figured out and they can't meet yet.

MThanded said:

It should be in the Bible or the Constitution even.

Mamas have to teach their young kids this, too.

Skilletor

mr. puppy said:
no thats incredibly wrong. watching streams and enjoying making you own analysis and learning from what people are doing is one of the best ways to approach a new game. its much better than being able to dominate your friends with some retard strat that you figured out and they can't meet yet.

To people that don't know what they're doing, anything that they can't defend against would be a "retard" strat. And since they don't know what they're doing, that would be just about anything.

What doesn't help is trying to X-Copy strats without an understanding of why it's working. That doesn't help a person learn.

Mista Koo said:
From your description sounds like they are exactly like S&K lol. In that game Sonic got different jump attacks from the power-ups while Knuckles only had the non standard jump glide.

One character has a gun and moves that center around using a gun.

The other character has a sword and uses moves that center around having a sword.

Mista Koo said:
im0mX.jpg

For what it's worth, a lot of people from that game have ended up in (Batsu, Alex, Haggar) or was considered for (Charlie) a Vs. game in the last few years. Hell, TvC felt like a mini CFAS reunion, especially with both Alex and Batsu making the roster.

Valnen

MThanded said:

Is there a compelling reason not to? I've never bought anything from it and I see no reason not to when everyone just says "Don't do it!" without explanation...

haunts

Bacon of Hope
I would love to know what went on with this game internally at Capcom. It's really strange in my eyes. They were on a roll with announcements for new DLC costumes and characters for MVC3...then nothing. Now we have these types of rumors.

Makes me wonder if they had a plan laid out for MVC3 with no SMVC3 in mind then switched things up or it was always meant to be this way. Hmmm!

Dahbomb

Master Milk said:
Phoenix would be at the top of both though, right?
Top 5 for both that's for sure.

For a new player in MVC3, it's just better to play the game for yourself, get used to the pace of the game and just have fun with the game trying to come up with strats, team builds etc. When you get comfortable with the pace and controls of the game THEN you have to make a choice of whether you want to really go deep with the game and improve yourself in the game. That's whey you go online, watch streams, read discussions and check up on tier lists.

If you watch a MVC3 match before even knowing what it's about then you are going to walk away very confused and bewildered. Some people I show high level play to and they think it's some unskillful random game where people just spam stuff. It's only when they play and figure out stuff on their own that they realize how in-depth the game is.

If I tell someone who has never played MVC3 before that Phoenix is top tier in this game will it really help him with the game?

Valnen said:
Is there a compelling reason not to? I've never bought anything from it and I see no reason not to when everyone just says "Don't do it!" without explanation...
You weren't there when MVC3 was first releasing?

It was a disaster. People who ordered from Capcom's store got the shaft and didn't get their game weeks after the release date. It was rampant.

KAL2006

Banned
Capcom side needs more villains
Sigma - from Megaman X
Bass EXE (from Megaman EXE)
M. Bison - from SF
Red Arremmer (Firebrand) - from Ghouls and Ghost
Jedah - from Darkstalkers

also we need the obvious fan requested characters
Strider
Vergil
Phoenix Wright
Megaman (Classic)
Frank West
Gambit
Psylocke
Venom
Juggernaut

I also suggest some characters in Capcom side from other games
Samonosuke - Onimusha
Ryu - Breath of Fire
new character from upcoming Asura's Wrath game
Kyosuke - Rival Schools
Falcon - PowerStone
Regina - Dino Crisis
Guy in mechsuit from Lost Planet

As for Marvel side, these are my choices
Emma Frost
Cyclops
Dr Strange
Ultron
Ms Marvel
Blade
Ghost Rider
Silver Surfer
Dr Octopus

TDLink

haunts said:
I would love to know what went on with this game internally at Capcom. It's really strange in my eyes. They were on a roll with announcements for new DLC costumes and characters for MVC3...then nothing. Now we have these types of rumors.

Makes me wonder if they had a plan laid out for MVC3 with no SMVC3 in mind then switched things up or it was always meant to be this way. Hmmm!

I'm sure the PSN outage didn't help. That's when the news and releases stopped. Since they couldn't release the content they probably began to think about just saving it up for a bigger release down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom