• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Marvel vs Capcom: Hype Train to Comic Con; Now Boarding! Lupinko @ post 500+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toski

Crewnh said:
It was only X-Men heavy because Capcom is cheap and lazy as fuck with rehashing shit from other games. This is a brand new game that is barely reusing anything and wasting their efforts on more X-Men is stupid.
Problem is there are too many X-Men that are popular. That rumor says Cyclops (but I doubt its true) and Gambit, Cable/Bishop, Apocalypse and others are wanted and will make Capcom money. I think we'll see 2-3 more X-Men characters for Super MvC3 and MvC4 will add the rest that didn't make the cut.

I'd rather the roster be X-Men heavy than see a joke pick like Squirrel Girl or Howard the Duck make it.

vg260

Toski said:
I'd rather the roster be X-Men heavy than see a joke pick like Squirrel Girl or Howard the Duck make it.

Agree with this, but I'd still like some representation form other series first.

2&2 said:
Spidey has one of the most robust and iconic rogues gallery of villains. We have NONE in MvC3 and all signs point to more X-Men when we've got plenty already.

Spidey villains are amazing, I really don't get why Marvel hasn't made it a stipulation that Capcom include at least one. Taskmaster doesn't count despite his unique dialogue and move copy, simply because he's been a villain in just about every Mahvel hero's comic run at some point.

Also, X-Men are popular for a good reason. They're the most consistently well written Marvel characters and are published to hell and back by Marvel. They gotta be having a fair few comics with the "X-" Prefix coming out every month. Just my 2 cents on the X-Men's popularity.

Wallach

I really do want to see Cyclops make it, but yeah, I also would like some Spider-Man villains. Doctor Octopus and Venom would be a sweet pair.

kissenger

Banned
I'm really not sure about this whole Super MVC3 thing. MVC3 died for me after about 6 weeks and I went back to SF.

But if they patch in spectator mode, reduce damage output across the board slightly, get rid of either player match or lobbies (there's no need for both), I might buy it.

I would also love it if they got rid of that extremely annoying points system which clogs up the menus too, but that probably won't happen. MVC3 is not a very user friendly game in a lot of ways.

The Vulture is probably the lamest villain in Spider-Man's entire rogues gallery. Seriously. Old guy who built himself a bird suit that allows him to fly. That's it.
Also, Mysterio would be really difficult to work with in a fighting game. His gimmick is that his illusions fuck with your mind and cause damage to you that way. It's all holographic, not real. As a fighter, Mysterio is a wussy.

All I want is Green Goblin or Doc Ock. Although Hammerhead would be an amazing addition, too. Or Lizard. Or maybe Venom. God I love Spidey villains. <3

I'd die to see Ultron or Daredevil or Dr. Strange to make it in, though. Favorite Marvel villain and heroes right there. Ms. Marvel would be neat too. :V

Mr Touchdown said:
Spidey villains are amazing, I really don't get why Marvel hasn't made it a stipulation that Capcom include at least one.

Especially considering that Doc Ock is currently one of the biggest villains in the MU.

Taskmaster doesn't count despite his unique dialogue and move copy, simply because he's been a villain in just about every Mahvel hero's comic run at some point.

Taskmaster technically isn't a villain, Taskmaster is mainly a mercenary. He works for whomever pays better, and usually being a bad guy seems to pay off more. He did work with SHIELD before, tho.

Taskmaster technically isn't a villain, Taskmaster is mainly a mercenary. He works for whomever pays better, and usually being a bad guy seems to pay off more. He did work with SHIELD before, tho.
You tryin' to pick a fight boy?

But yeah, you're right. As much as he has been showed as a villain, he's mostly in it for the cash. At least that's how it USED to be, before his origins were retconned out the ass. Now it's really confusing as to what the hell is going on with him, memory loss retcon lolololol. I loathe that retcon. He should go back to hitting on Sandi Brandenburg*sigh*

Back on topic, Howard the Duck needs to be in for constant references to the Martial Art - QUACK FU!

Toski said:
Problem is there are too many X-Men that are popular. That rumor says Cyclops (but I doubt its true) and Gambit, Cable/Bishop, Apocalypse and others are wanted and will make Capcom money. I think we'll see 2-3 more X-Men characters for Super MvC3 and MvC4 will add the rest that didn't make the cut.

Capcom will make money off MvC3 regardless of whether they shove in more X-Men shit.

P.S. Squirrel Girl is a mutant too so I wouldn't want her to be in there either. :p

Mr Touchdown said:

But yeah, you're right. As much as he has been showed as a villain, he's mostly in it for the cash. At least that's how it USED to be, before his origins were retconned out the ass. Now it's really confusing as to what the hell is going on with him, memory loss retcon lolololol. I loathe that retcon. He should go back to hitting on Sandi Brandenburg*sigh*

Do not lie, Taskmaster never appeared again after Dark Siege!

Yea, I hate the retcon too... :(

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Toxicplatypus said:
dumb rumor

- The announcement is for a "super" version of MvC3, called Marvel vs Capcom 3 EX. It will be available as a DLC update and as a retail disc (with limited supplies, mostly distributed via online retailers), as well as a PC version and an (eventual) Wii U version. Pricing and release date are still being decided, but the rough release date is Q4 2011.
- The game will add 10 new characters, and Jill and Shuma will be part of the update if you don't have them already (they aren't counted towards the 10 characters).
- The only two characters I'll tell you about are the ones actually being announced at Comic-Con, which are Frank West and Cyclops.
- None of these new characters will be available as separate DLC for "vanilla" MvC3. You have to get the whole pack together.
- 4 new stages.
- The game will add some new modes and features.
- New alt costumes will also be announced for the game. You can also use these alt costumes in "vanilla" MvC3. The next set of alt costumes will be available just after the Comic-Con MvC3 presentation.
- Multiple glitches and balancing issues will be fixed in a patch available sometime in August. These changes will also of course carry over to MvC3EX.
Wii U and PC ports make this rumor sound dubious, and I think it is dubious, but I am okay with this.

Frank West and Cyclops seem like a weird pair to announce but I guess it falls in line with what both sides are pushing. I would've though they would have announced a heavy hitter for the debut at Comic-Con, like PW, Strider or Venom.

vg260

Becquerel said:
The Vulture is probably the lamest villain in Spider-Man's entire rogues gallery. Seriously. Old guy who built himself a bird suit that allows him to fly. That's it.
Also, Mysterio would be really difficult to work with in a fighting game. His gimmick is that his illusions fuck with your mind and cause damage to you that way. It's all holographic, not real. As a fighter, Mysterio is a wussy.

All I want is Green Goblin or Doc Ock. Although Hammerhead would be an amazing addition, too. Or Lizard. Or maybe Venom. God I love Spidey villains. <3

Heh, well you're right about Mysterio and Vulture. Dunno why I threw Vulture on that list, he's pretty lame. Mysterio could be super cool visually, but that technicality would preclude him from being in a fighting game unless he threw stuff at you.

Agree either Goblin or Doc Ock are the the best choices. If by some miracle they put in both, I'd rock that Spidey/Ock/Goblin team no matter what. I could only realistically hope for one though. Venom would probably get in before one of them.

Finding Ock in the MvC3 files was such a tease. Given that Frank seems to be a lock, hopefully Ock was almost complete as well.

notworksafe

enzo_gt said:
Frank West and Cyclops seem like a weird pair to announce but I guess it falls in line with what both sides are pushing. I would've though they would have announced a heavy hitter for the debut at Comic-Con, like PW, Strider or Venom.
Gonna have to say that I think Frank and Cyke are bigger names than PW, Strider or Venom right now. Especially when to comes to the agendas that both companies want to push. The Dead Rising 2 panel at Comic-con last year was pretty big, so it makes sense to bring more Dead Rising to SDCC.

PW and Strider especially seem like bigger news to announce in Japan if they are in. Capcom's announcements in the US seem to always go for as mainstream an audience as possible.

Cyke being a big focus in Schism and Frank being in a game that's out in a few months would make a lot of sense imo.

EDIT: I will add that the PC and WiiU info in that rumor make me immediately doubt it, even though I like the rest of it.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Toxicplatypus said:
dumb rumor

- The announcement is for a "super" version of MvC3, called Marvel vs Capcom 3 EX. It will be available as a DLC update and as a retail disc (with limited supplies, mostly distributed via online retailers), as well as a PC version and an (eventual) Wii U version. Pricing and release date are still being decided, but the rough release date is Q4 2011.
- The game will add 10 new characters, and Jill and Shuma will be part of the update if you don't have them already (they aren't counted towards the 10 characters).
- The only two characters I'll tell you about are the ones actually being announced at Comic-Con, which are Frank West and Cyclops.
- None of these new characters will be available as separate DLC for "vanilla" MvC3. You have to get the whole pack together.
- 4 new stages.
- New alt costumes will also be announced for the game. You can also use these alt costumes in "vanilla" MvC3. The next set of alt costumes will be available just after the Comic-Con MvC3 presentation.
- Multiple glitches and balancing issues will be fixed in a patch available sometime in August. These changes will also of course carry over to MvC3EX.

Source?

MoxManiac

Frank makes perfect sense since it sounds like they already did a lot of work on him. I would not be suprised if -some- work was done on Cyclops at some point during development.

Kinda like how Dee Jay and T.Hawk -almost- made it into SF4, and were the first SSF4 characters shown (since they had already worked on them)

Frank would almost certainly be one of the first characters revealed since he was damn near done for vanilla MvC3 (And for DR2: Off the Record cross promotion)

If Phoenix W. is in, he'd probably be announced at TGS.

IntelliHeath said:
Was posted on Gamefaqs, which then cited a srk poster as the source who also cited the SomethingAwful forums. So yeah.

Kurtofan

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
Frank would almost certainly be one of the first characters revealed since he was damn near done for vanilla MvC3 (And for DR2: Off the Record cross promotion)

If Phoenix W. is in, he'd probably be announced at TGS.

Was posted on Gamefaqs, which then cited a srk poster as the source who also cited the SomethingAwful forums. So yeah.
It comes from 4chan according to a SA poster so it's most likely fake.

Toxicplatypus said:
dumb rumor

- 4 new stages.
I want to believe

Becquerel said:
Do not lie, Taskmaster never appeared again after Dark Siege!

Yea, I hate the retcon too... :(
JHmci.jpg

I wonder how the hell they're gonna approach his character after that. I guess it'll depend on how well that mini-series sold.

Green Scar said:
Why the fuck would you retcon Tasky, he's supposed to be a slightly comedic character, no-one cares about his roots

This is what I was asking myself at the very moment of the retcon. He and Deadpool had the best team ups... *sigh*

I'm really surprised that Marvel is even known as a company that publishes Super-Hero comics these days, they just seem to butcher the good ones that they have. Even when they move in a positive direction (in the Comics with Spider-Man's metamorphosis), they back track because it's not a safe zone for the writers (LOLOLOL DEVIL UNDID EVERYTHING).

The movies and shirt licensing are probably the only things making them money these days, because they hardly write good comics any more. Artwork and character design seems to still be top notch though.

EYEL1NER

This thing that got me hyped about the 'dumb rumor' posted on this page is that it says the possible release window could be Q4 2011. Whatever this new version is, I want it.

Mr Touchdown said:
Spidey villains are amazing, I really don't get why Marvel hasn't made it a stipulation that Capcom include at least one.
Marvel has 90% of the control over which Marvel characters appear in the game and their decisions are mostly based on what they want to promote. They did not want any of the Fantastic Four in the game, for example, because they did not want people thinking of Chris Sims as Johnny Torch in the terrible movies while they were trying to sell him as Captain America.

Capcom had to fight tooth and nail for Shuma-Gorath just as DLC.

Mr Touchdown said:
Even when they move in a positive direction (in the Comics with Spider-Man's metamorphosis), they back track because it's not a safe zone for the writers (LOLOLOL DEVIL UNDID EVERYTHING).

Oh God don't remind me of that abomination. Straczynski and Quesada will burn in hell forever for that one.

They still manage to crank out good comics now and then - Dark Avengers was fucking amazing, for instance.
But overall, I agree with you, it just doesn't have the glory of the 80s anymore. And it all started with the 90s and their urge to make everything dark and gritty and epic. It didn't turn out well... I mean, we ended up with the likes of Carnage. :/

ShockingAlberto said:
They did not want any of the Fantastic Four in the game, for example, because they did not want people thinking of Chris Sims as Johnny Torch in the terrible movies while they were trying to sell him as Captain America.
Huh? Marvel didn't have any problem with the FF. Capcom admitted that they had Human Torch up and running, but his animations ate a shitton of RAM, and they considered The Thing, but came to the conclusion that he'd be too similar to Hulk, leading Marvel to suggest Super Skrull.

Unless of course, you were joking about that last bit, my sarcasm meter is kinda off today

MrMephistoX

2&2 said:
Heh, well you're right about Mysterio and Vulture. Dunno why I threw Vulture on that list, he's pretty lame. Mysterio could be super cool visually, but that technicality would preclude him from being in a fighting game unless he threw stuff at you.

Agree either Goblin or Doc Ock are the the best choices. If by some miracle they put in both, I'd rock that Spidey/Ock/Goblin team no matter what. I could only realistically hope for one though. Venom would probably get in before one of them.

Finding Ock in the MvC3 files was such a tease. Given that Frank seems to be a lock, hopefully Ock was almost complete as well.
Gobby would excite me the most but I'll settle for Venom and Doc Oc.

Just a thought I had, why would Cyclops NOT make it w/ the new story line that is Wolverine vs Cyclops? Feels like it will be a given that he's in.

demosthenes said:
Just a thought I had, why would Cyclops NOT make it w/ the new story line that is Wolverine vs Cyclops? Feels like it will be a given that he's in.
Probably the same reason we have no more alternate costumes other than the first 6 for sale: It makes too much sense.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
demosthenes said:

Wolverine/Cyclops/Phoenix Team confirmed broken

Mr Touchdown said:

It's not much of a retcon considering Van Lente didn't seem to contradict Taskmaster's past history - there was little there to be able to retcon in the first place. Nothing fundamental about the character has changed. He's still a mercenary in it for cash with turns of ruthless villainy or heroism when it seems fit.

Also, that mini was great.
Taskmaster_1_Preview3.jpg

Chavelo

~Devil Trigger~ said:
Wolverine/Cyclops/Phoenix Team confirmed broken

You mean broken as in a crappy team because Logan and Cyclops will bitch and cry about Jean turning into Dark Phoenix then making her give up and kill herself? :D

GatorBait

Got my fingers crossed for 12 new characters + Shuma/Jill...that gives us a nice even 50 for the roster with less filler than the MvC2 roster. That would easily last me until MvC4 and possibly beyond.

Gonna need to make some X-factor adjustments too, obviously.

ShockingAlberto said:
Marvel has 90% of the control over which Marvel characters appear in the game and their decisions are mostly based on what they want to promote. They did not want any of the Fantastic Four in the game, for example, because they did not want people thinking of Chris Sims as Johnny Torch in the terrible movies while they were trying to sell him as Captain America.

Capcom had to fight tooth and nail for Shuma-Gorath just as DLC.

Who the fuck is Chris Sims?

Bowling Pin said:
It's not much of a retcon considering Van Lente didn't seem to contradict Taskmaster's past history - there was little there to be able to retcon in the first place. Nothing fundamental about the character has changed. He's still a mercenary in it for cash with turns of ruthless villainy or heroism when it seems fit.

Also, that mini was great.

I liked the art and the stories of Tasky's early training years were great. The main problem I have is:

The Org. Everything he'd done after the event in the Hitler village secret room was controlled by them. By contrast, his acts as a merc and gun for hire make no sense if they were the ones pulling the strings. That's the kind of thing that messed him up for me. Also, he's now a tragic "lost my memory" dude. That didn't used to burden the writing of his character, but now I can see it being used as his unique (lol) character flaw, rather than his inherent greed which made him A LOT more unique. Seriously, even the crime lords don't want money in comics these days. Also, there was a small story about Tasky that told of his abilities that I thought was plenty effective. As a kid He saw a guy dive off a diving board and imitated it perfectly. Problem was he didn't know how to swim and just started to drown (developing a fear of swimming, again a more unique character flaw in comics than memory loss). Natural development of this skill as a child seems a lot cooler than what happened in the Hitler village. Anyway, that's my rant and it's pretty off topic so I'll stop now.

Yeah, Johnny Storm would have been kicked because of him being killed of in the comics.

I'd also say Black Widow and Loki will be added, due to the Avengers film. Ultimate Nick Fury would also be brilliant.

TheOGB

Banned
Toxicplatypus said:
dumb rumor

- 4 new stages.
Please no :/

I was always a fan of Rogue's '90s design, if she's in now it'll be looking like this.

If she does make it into the game, do you think she'd have her XvsSF ability to take a special move from a character, or do you think they'll go the MvC2 route again and give generic power/speed/whatever ups for power saps?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Green Scar said:
Yeah, Johnny Storm would have been kicked because of him being killed of in the comics.

I'd also say Black Widow and Loki will be added, due to the Avengers film. Ultimate Nick Fury would also be brilliant.
I think people are taking Marvel's influence on pushing their own characters as being a bit more grand than it is. Yes, Marvel has a ton of influence, but the way the character selection process works is Capcom comes up with a list of characters they want, Marvel gives them the yes or no, and in case of no, they give suggestions for other characters they can put in instead, and they discuss. This was outlined in an article after release.

She-Hulk and X-23 were the result of them pushing their new series' IIRC. Thor you could say too, but Thor has been heavily requested forever, I would not be surprised at all if Thor was on Capcom's initial "want" list. Taskmaster was put in because Marvel said no to Hawkeye. I believe even Hawkeye was casted for the Avengers movie at the time and Marvel still said no. It's in the interest of the comics, but Capcom still has a huge influence because they're making the game. If you look at that, that's only really 2 characters out of the 19 on the Marvel ham-fisted in. Especially with DLC, I expect even less forced-in characters because Marvel already got to do that in the original package.

here are my guesses as of now..probably will change next tuesday

Frank
Strider
Starforce
Felyne
Roll
Phoenix

Jubilee
Dr.strange
Bishop
Dr. Octopus
x-men character
uhh. somebody

How's my driving?

SmithnCo

Toxicplatypus said:
here are my guesses as of now..probably will change next tuesday

Frank
Strider
Starforce
Felyne
Roll
Phoenix

Jubilee
Dr.strange
Bishop
Dr. Octopus
x-men character
uhh. somebody

How's my driving?

Has there been any hint of a MH character? The MH team didn't let them use any before... Shame because Felyne would be awesome.

That's from a Japanese interview recently where Nitsuma randomly talked about monster hunter, Roll's voice actress was there too. Can't tell dat source though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom