• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars Community Thread

Started playing part 2 of OGs. Enjoying some of the moments so much more after playing alpha. Like how Cockpit of Steel starts playing during the early missions. It goes from being "yeah yeah, this is just some scripted event for Bullet to get his HP and SP back" to "Yes! This is so awesome!"

Yes, you don't need to understand Japanese in order to play. Plenty of guides will be available.

Some story translation guides will probably be written eventually as well.

I'm guessing that watching the SRW OG The Inspector anime would help some as well. Should help with the storyline.

Shouta

Inspector is a good choice if you don't want to play the games but want a digest of the story. It does miss a few things but it covers most of the important stuff. Additionally, there'll be changes from that that will be reflected in OGs 2nd.

Inspector is a good choice if you don't want to play the games but want a digest of the story. It does miss a few things but it covers most of the important stuff. Additionally, there'll be changes from that that will be reflected in OGs 2nd.

I started watching it when it first aired, but I stopped after three or four episodes. I should probably marathon through it just in case. It's been a while since I played the OG games on the PS2.

Shouta

It's actually really good, aside from the usual Obariness at times like the boobs but even then it's kinda nice. It has a lot of cool nods and anime only moments in it as well.

Some of those moments feel a bit forced. Like say in the episode when DGG shows up, the whole thing worked better even in a GBA game than the anime. In my opinion anyway.

Loona

There's just the secret section that will left speculation until the official guidebook comes out and we get the exact requirements, a month or so after the release of the game.

I bet one of the secrets gets someone to mention "Trailers".

squall23

It's actually really good, aside from the usual Obariness at times like the boobs but even then it's kinda nice. It has a lot of cool nods and anime only moments in it as well.
The anime was like crack for me when it was airing. The quick and dirty raw after airing was usually available during my break between classes and I would always watch it.

lol, anime only moments like
Bullet soloing Vindel

Shouta

The anime was like crack for me when it was airing. The quick and dirty raw after airing was usually available during my break between classes and I would always watch it.

lol, anime only moments like
Bullet soloing Vindel

The SRX and Hucky Boxer...excuse me Exbein Boxer doing the double kick was pretty awesome too. =o

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?scode=TVG-PS3-0969

Is this the one I want to buy? The new one that's coming out.

Yep, that's the one.

Bebpo

Banned
Go for it.

I'm going to uh, play the first 2-3 stages just to soak in the OMG VISUALS, but then I won't be playing this with you guys. Haven't had time to go back to my OGG save and I don't know if I want to jump into 2nd OGs without the character development background from OGG. I dunno, maybe I'll just give up and read the story summary faq of OGG if 2nd OGs is amazingly good or something.

Shouta

It's already up.

The most important character stuff in OGG belongs to MX, Compatible Kaiser, R, and the proper end to Shuu that leads to EX and the later MK stuff. It also explains Axel and Alfimi.

Every other character, it doesn't even matter, lol.

Loona

Super Robot Wars UX on the 3DS.

Region locks suck.

Saw that at /m/ - I'd be suspicious of a cast list involving Demonbane, but then again, Z3 should get pretty crazy with high end Gurren Laggan (and hopefully Ideon, which doesn't start shit, just ends it when it comes to SRW sagas) - maybe they'll want to beta-test that in a different game.

Shouta

Imagine if it was 3D to use the 3D of the system... woof.

Edit: Looks like a modified version of the Z engine or possibly a very upgraded version of whatever they were using for the DS. Not bad, I guess.

Loona

Last I read it was this:

-Linebarrels of Iron
-Fafner: Heaven and Earth
-Ninja Senshi Tobikage
-Aura Battler Dunbine
-Dancouga Nova
-Macross F movies
-Demonbane
-Wings of Rean
-Fei Yin (from Virtual On... apparently the Hatsune Miku version.....)
-Gundam 00: Awakening of the Trailblazer
-Gundam: S-Destiny
-SD Gundam Three Kingdoms
-Heroman
-Mazinkaiser SKL

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
What's the rumored cast list? And is it 2d? If so do the sprites look GBA/DS quality or SRW Z quality?

Man, the 3ds should be powerful enough to at least mimic the sprite animation from the last SRW PS2 game, I think? That Namco x Capcom x Sega game had really janky animations
though...

Would be nice if we had fully voiced characters.

Okay, I'm pretty well versed on nearly every Gundam property out there, but what's S-Destiny? Gundam Sentinel? (Would be friggin awesome if it was.)

Jubern

SEED Destiny.

It's just their fifth entry in a row, couldn't they use something else? I guess they'll be reusing sprites from the Z series... ?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
SEED Destiny.

It's just their fifth entry in a row, couldn't they use something else? I guess they'll be reusing sprites from the Z series... ?

Oh doh. Brain fart. Maaaan... and I was getting excited if it was Sentinel.

AGE probably couldn't be used because it probably wasnt finished by the time they started the game? That, or the fact that it goes through 3 generations would probably make it hard to fit it into the story.

Also, looks like the producer for this game is the same one who produced SRW L, which goes a long way to explaining the series choices for this game.

Loona

Apparently SRW has been using SEED as their replacement for the once token Universal Century presence in the series, and more recent Gundam continuities haven't been popular enough to dethrone it. The Astray side-story seems to have at least been refreshing and different enough to steamroll most of it in SRW W, maybe they should use that more often (I'm all for seeing more of Lowe throwing around that stupidly humongous katana using a mech riding a mech).

SD Gundam Three Kingdoms should be fun to see interacting with the rest, even if I'm not that well versed in spin-offs like this. I bet they'll spend a lot of time interacting with Miku Fei Yin.

I do wonder if Miku Fei yin will have any move that are different from stuff the regular version used in Alpha 3 (I think she was in one of the DS games too?...). She already had a golden transformation thing there, maybe that'll be gone? Maybe she'll get AoE "bard" buffs like Macross 7's Basara and GaoGaiGar's Mick Saunders 13?
I don't follow Vocaloid/Hatsune Miku stuff, but in the game's she's in she's just the doll dancing and singing to the available tunes and has no particular characteristic actions, does she?

Ken

Last I read it was this:

-Linebarrels of Iron
-Fafner: Heaven and Earth
-Ninja Senshi Tobikage
-Aura Battler Dunbine
-Dancouga Nova
-Macross F movies
-Demonbane
-Wings of Rean
-Fei Yin (from Virtual On... apparently the Hatsune Miku version.....)
-Gundam 00: Awakening of the Trailblazer
-SD Gundam Three Kingdoms
-Heroman
-Mazinkaiser SKL

What's up with Fei Yin being in everything when Temjin/Cypher were the best.

Bebpo

Banned
Man, the 3ds should be powerful enough to at least mimic the sprite animation from the last SRW PS2 game, I think? That Namco x Capcom x Sega game had really janky animations
though...

Power doesn't matter. Budget and development time matters. The main SRW games like the Z series or OG games get 3 full years of development and a huge amount of money. That's why they have sprites like they do.

The GBA/DS games were <1 year development times with a much much lower budget than the main big SRWs. That's why the sprites were very low res and animations were not detailed and used a lot of cut-ins. From the scans it looks like the 3DS SRW games will continue that tradition and basically be DS sprites++ the scans even talk about lots of cut-ins (because cut-ins are cheaper than animating sprites).

The main difference between UX and the DS entries should be full voice in battle & a better color palette (colors already look nicer in the scans). DS colors were pretty limited.

Either Universal Century or SEED is necessary to provide the basic political structure of the Earth Sphere.

Might as well do SEED with that lineup. The 00 movie can happen to any planet that hasn't experienced aliens yet.

Loona

What's up with Fei Yin being in everything when Temjin/Cypher were the best.

Apharmd is the best, you gotta live the concept of a mech wearing camo pants.
Then again, since legs are deemphasized in SRW those weren't visible in Alpha 3, dunno if he actually ever had that cowboy hat in a VO.

Anyway, the cast list looks pretty crazy, I wonder what kind of original will have to tie all that together... Involuntary dimensional traveller with a thin grasp on his remaining sanity?...

Ken

Apharmd is the best, you gotta live the concept of a mech wearing camo pants.
Then again, since legs are deemphasized in SRW those weren't visible in Alpha 3, dunno if he actually ever had that coeboy hat in a VO.

Surf board/SLC vrooooooom.

AGE probably couldn't be used because it probably wasnt finished by the time they started the game? That, or the fact that it goes through 3 generations would probably make it hard to fit it into the story.

As far as I'm concerned, AGE can stay out of SRW forever...unless they can find some way to make it even remotely tolerable.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
As far as I'm concerned, AGE can stay out of SRW forever...unless they can find some way to make it even remotely tolerable.

They managed to make SEED remotely tolerable, at least in Alpha. :p
(Yes, I dislike SEED. Haven't watched AGE, so I can't form an opinion on that one yet)

They managed to make SEED remotely tolerable, at least in Alpha. :p
(Yes, I dislike SEED. Haven't watched AGE, so I can't form an opinion on that one yet)

Part of my problem with AGE was the hideous/boring character and mechanical designs...not much that can be done about that. Oh well.

Did just finish Z2-1 recently (yes, I am waaaaaaaay behind) and am taking a brief respite before starting either Z2-2 or MX Portable. And then there's L and A portable to finish. Sigh.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Part of my problem with AGE was the hideous/boring character and mechanical designs...not much that can be done about that. Oh well.

Did just finish Z2-1 recently (yes, I am waaaaaaaay behind) and am taking a brief respite before starting either Z2-2 or MX Portable. And then there's L and A portable to finish. Sigh.

Aw don't feel bad, I still havent bought OG 2nd yet, and I'm trying my hardest to stay out of that thread (and out of /m/) to avoid any spoilers. Amazingly, other than one piece of info, I am relatively spoiler-free at this point.

Back to SRW UX though, it might be a game I'll skip, for quite some time. Unless the PVs for that game blow me away, I'm not going to plop down money to buy that game AND an imported 3DS.

Yet.

Aw don't feel bad, I still havent bought OG 2nd yet, and I'm trying my hardest to stay out of that thread (and out of /m/) to avoid any spoilers. Amazingly, other than one piece of info, I am relatively spoiler-free at this point.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I've haven't actually finished the English GBA games yet either, though I'm close to the end of Ryusei's route in the first game. I have the backlog from hell and it doesn't help that I just got into SRW in the last year or two.

Back to SRW UX though, it might be a game I'll skip, for quite some time. Unless the PVs for that game blow me away, I'm not going to plop down money to buy that game AND an imported 3DS.

Yet.

I would tell myself that, but I don't think I will be able to resist. Perhaps I should though :p.

Loona

Trailer for the game already : http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=D6ALAgHdmyM

This... doesn't look too hot.

I was most curious about that Fei Yin Miku, and got even more intrigued by the preview: spinning leek attack, and a later animation has Miku's human face in a cut-in... I guess she's piloting that remotely?
I'm curious to see her seishins now...

I thought Mazinkaiser SKL had Kouji Kabuto, but the guy in those scenes looked different - has the Mazinger mythos, after who knows how many versions, finally ditched its baggage like the original characters that think that breast missiles are a reasonable weapon?...

Shouta

That looks like just a little above DS level, wow. I guess they really don't put much effort into it, eh.

Loona

Coworker was joking that they won't even bother having an OG lead for this one.

With Namco making some of the biggest crossovers in the business and the scope of the OG games, I wouldn't be surprised if the original for this became very very important after a few years, the craziness this game's setting hints at practically begs for it when you remember OG characters with fairly tame stories shared games with the NxC and PXZ cast.

Bebpo

Banned
Trailer for the game already : http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=D6ALAgHdmyM

This... doesn't look too hot.

Yup. That's the next game in the GBA/DS series but with full voice.

I'm ok with this. You guys got to realize that if you want sprites better than that you're only going to get a licensed SRW game every 3 years. I'd rather have shitty animations and yearly licensed SRW games like we had during the DS years with W/K/L.

Ken

random question

I've been playing Z2.2 recently and noticed the load times into animations take forever. I'll be staring at a scrolling background for a good 5ish seconds before units enter. I don't remember it being this bad in Z2.1. Will restarting the game (quitting back out to OS level) fix this?

zeroshiki

random question

I've been playing Z2.2 recently and noticed the load times into animations take forever. I'll be staring at a scrolling background for a good 5ish seconds before units enter. I don't remember it being this bad in Z2.1. Will restarting the game (quitting back out to OS level) fix this?

This doesn't happen with my copy. Are you playing off UMD or memory stick?

Ken

This doesn't happen with my copy. Are you playing off UMD or memory stick?

UMD.

I did start it many months ago and picked it back up recently with the PSP and Z2.2 never being shut off the entire time. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Top Bottom