• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl Rumor/Prophecy Thread -- Super Smash Star Fox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ShockingAlberto said:
I wouldn't hold out for a leak. The supposed leak for Melee a week before release was actually just an edited intro movie. It confirmed a lot of things for people (like Ganon) and started other rumors (like Ridley), but the one thing no one knew about was Sheik. Sakurai completely cut her out of the "unofficially leaked intro".

No, the complete character roster did leak out something like a week before Japanese release. I remember reading it and thinking it was bullshit. Seriously, Falco? Dr. Mario? Young Link? A handful of others and that's it? What a scrawny list, etc.

Leaks do happen, and it's usually the stuff you disregard. I remember the night before the embargo on the Wii controller broke, with everybody anticipating and posting their expectations and "secret infos" with things like gloves and disjointed SNES controllers and the lot, and buried it in it, a few hours beforehand, somebody just randomly posted a picture of Bruce Lee (I believe it was)... wielding nunchuks. And I didn't connect how quick one or two people were to say, "Oh that's nothing, he's posting BS," etc.

I would guess we're not going to see a leak for another two days, but somebody will eventually spoil it. And once the game is out in Japan, within three days you're not going to be able to get away from it. People will find the unlockables cool and put them in their avatars, etc. You're going to eventually see the super-secret robot character made out of joined Nintendo systems and controllers, because people are going to think it's awesome. More than anything, I feel bad for the people trying to avoid the spoilers, who now have to last a month longer. Most of them just aren't going to make it.

PkunkFury

underfooter said:
So ten unannounced characters and and fifteen unannounced stages.

he probably means 35 characters on the select screen, so Sheik and ZSamus wouldn't count

but if almost all Melee characters are returning, there's actually 13 characters from melee left to be announced :\

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
If you think I'm full of shit... Bet an IP/perm bann.

Or we can bet some PayPal money... that'd be even better...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The entire Melee roster leaked 20 days before launch. I remember it well, as I was trying to not see it and blammo, it was on the front page of one of the Nintendo fansites I used to check.

PkunkFury said:
but if almost all Melee characters are returning, there's actually 13 characters from melee left to be announced :\

Yea but it isn't like Roy and Marth will make it alongside Ike, and Dr. Mario, Mewtwo, Pichu, Mr. Game and Watch.......I can see a lot of Melee characters not making the cut.

Scribble

MarkMan said:

There's nothing to suggest anything either way. If you were all like "hocus pocus shall I tell you or shall I not look into my eyes for the brawl roster" and promising us daily updates, you'd look fake.

You're not going to give us any info, so it ends there, really.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
MarkMan said:

Or we can bet some PayPal money... that'd be even better...

I'd do the permaban, but only if you leaked the entire thing right now.

A no win situation at best.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Markman is safe, until the game is released and people actually find the number of characters\stages.

You gotta realize people, leaking info isn't just about getting banned from GAF, there are a lot of repercussions for doing stuff like that.

I don't know if Markman is lying or not, he doesn't seem to be, but I dunno how he knows what he knows either.

Scribble

Also, 35 is a bit disappointing. Most of the unrevealed characters will probably be the veterans who we know aren't being cut, i.e. Luigi, Marth, Jigglypuff, Ganondorf, Mr.Game and Watch, and possibly Falco, Mewtwo and Ness. So there are probably only two or three newcomers left, and one is from a new franchise.

Hmm =X

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Yea sp0rsk, that's how it is. Lots of repercussions to these kind of things. Especially a game this big lol. Like I posted before, I won't comment on anything else unless it has already been revealed by Nintendo or some other source. The most I'd do is debunk, even then I have to be careful on how I approach that.

Sorry if it makes me seem like a bad guy. :(

OgnodoD

SantaC said:
I know it is silly to be disappointed, but i really expected a third 3rd party character.

Same. Oh well, Brawl will still rock. And hopefully one of the 1st party characters will be really unexpected.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
If most of the hidden chars are DX chars I'm a little disappointed. However, if at least one of them is FALCON PAUNCH then I'm totally okay.

I'm hoping for your sake that you're lying. I personally would rather be banned than fired. I think naming the amount of characters and stages is extremely risky for anybody with insider info. Anyway, I never bet on anything as a personal rule. Heck, the most I've ever put into a card game was $5. Anyway, you should probably be very, very careful of what you say from here on out if you are in fact telling the truth. I'd love to know more information, but my impatience isn't worth risking someone's job.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
MarkMan said:
Yea sp0rsk, that's how it is. Lots of repercussions to these kind of things. Especially a game this big lol. Like I posted before, I won't comment on anything else unless it has already been revealed by Nintendo or some other source. The most I'd do is debunk, even then I have to be careful on how I approach that.

Sorry if it makes me seem like a bad guy. :(

I definitely respect you for this. You did not even have to do that. Its good to know at least people wont be saying 50 character rosters and other BS.

Jetku

I will try to update the OP. I don't want anyone to think I abandoned the thread, i just don't post on NeoGAF much. However, i do lurk quite often, so i have seen all of the developments...especially in this thread.

gimz

MarkMan said:
I will say this, 35 characters, 41 stages. That's it.
i donno if i should trust this guy, but this is what i was expecting, and it sounds reasonable, for people who is expecting more numbers of characters are going to get ready to disappointed

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I love how much more trustworthy and sane people at GAF are than most places on the internet. I appreciate the info from MarkMan, especially since he agreed to help with debunking. I'm much more willing to believe someone who claims to have info without dangling it in front of people's faces and is willing to help prove people wrong.

How many people thought there would actually be 50 characters anyway?

At the top I expected 40, but hell 35 is more then enough now that my monkey friend Diddy is in the game... hell all they had to do was add Diddy and I'd have been happy as a monkey on acid.

JCX

35 is a bit dissapointing. There are 13 melee characters that haven't been confirmed yet. Taking off the ones I think have little chance of returning, we have falco, falcon, luigi, jigglypuff, ness, game and watch, marth, and ganondorf.

So that would leave 2 spots left (4 is zamus and sheik don''t count)

I had hoped for 40 characters. 41 stages is crazy though. Right now we have 26 announced. I wonder how many from past smash games overall will be in. I expect a "past stages 64" update soon.

35 characters is oddly disappointing. I was hoping to be stunned even more but I suppose that's selfish considering the sheer volume so far. A roster that limited rules out a lot of things. I guess this means farewell to a third Fire Emblem character, Sukapon, Takamaru, and sadly, Isaac.

Scribble

It'll be between WW Link, Ridley, Geno, Krystal, Takamaru ,Sukapon, and Lucario, I bet.

With the character number thing, I'm thinking that either Takamaru or Sukapon are extremely likely as the new franchises now.

Firestorm

I guessed 36. So 1 less. 1 more probably since Sheik/ZSS are probably not counted. I'm happy. Will be very happy if Young Link is in and plays like he did in Melee.

What if the guy who told us 41 stages and 35 characters simply hasn't unlocked everything yet. It could take months to beat some things, how does he know there isn't still lockables?

....I'm holding onto that thought.

Firestorm

underfooter said:
What if the guy who told us 41 stages and 35 characters simply hasn't unlocked everything yet. It could take months to beat some things, how does he know there isn't still lockables?

....I'm holding onto that thought.

Melee tells you when you've unlocked everyone. I assume Brawl does too.

Yeah, but 41 stages, like six of them "retro" stages, so that's only 35 new stages.

Anyway, of all the veterans...

Definitely in:

Mr. Game & Watch
Ganondorf
Jigglypuff
Luigi
Captain Falcon

Probably in:

Young Link (as WW Link)
Mewtwo
Marth

Probably not in:

Ness
Falco

Definitely not in:

Roy
Dr. Mario
Pichu

So I'm guessing we'll get the first eight mentioned there, meaning we'll get about 31 characters max.

So, four more newcomers, then.

Hopefully one of them will be a transform character.

If I were to guess what those four were, I'd say...

AW Rep
Animal Crosser
Ridley
Lucario

It's sad that I can't squeeze Bowser Jr. or Lolo in. :(

plufim

Older posts show that MarkMan works at highscore magazine online, a relatively small gaming blog. I can't see why they'd be big enough to have their own review copy yet.

Bah, I hate this crap. Japanese release can't come soon enough.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Rancid Mildew said:
35 characters is oddly disappointing. I was hoping to be stunned even more but I suppose that's selfish considering the sheer volume so far. A roster that limited rules out a lot of things. I guess this means farewell to a third Fire Emblem character, Sukapon, Takamaru, and sadly, Isaac.

Never say die!

Scribble

It doesn't help that some of the most popular not-yet-newcomers haven't really been confirmed not to be in as playable. Stafy and Waluigi had fanbases, but they weren't as big as say, Wolf or WW Link.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I was expecting 35-40 playable characters and about the same number of stages so this number is fine with me. My one big hope is that Ridley will be playable, which I'm still holding out for some real confirmation of.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Scribble said:
They might try to compensate for lack of Ridley by giving him an extremely huge role in the SSE.
Yeah, I'm sure he'll at least make an appearance as a boss. Oh well, if the only complaint I have is that one character that I really wanted to see didn't make it in as playable then it's not that big of a deal. I love Smash and I'm sure SSE will be enough to make up for any roster disappointments.

bounchfx

Personally I think any character that they have modeled and in the game should be playable. Including SSE grunts and bosses (as long as they aren't bigger than the screen kinda stuff)

Fireblend

Banned
35 characters, 10 more than the previous game sounds about right to me. And I wouldn't mind not having more 3rd party characters, people waiting for Megaman to be announced are just delusional now, and my secret Klonoa wish I can do without :lol You can't expect the roster do double in every iteration =/ Now what is surprising is the stages count, and then again we have the stage builder... :D I can't be happier about it.

I'm gonna put my faith in MarkMan, he seems to be pretty confident and isn't some kind of new poster or anything. Being willing to bet a permaban o money might seem like a bluff so I don't really care about that, but he's got a background, which is something that other leakers don't seem to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom