• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl Rumor/Prophecy Thread -- Super Smash Star Fox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Link to the Snitch said:
Am I the only one not as impressed with the stages, since at least six are from Melee?

Even 39 is an impressive number. Especially since they all have their little gimmicks (like the seasons in Yoshi's, Day/Night/KK Rider in AC, ect).

ShockingAlberto said:
35 characters would have been mindblowing to even the most diehard whiner if they didn't know about all the other newcomers already.

Yeah, that's a big part of it. We just still want to be surprised.

DarkKyo

I think they'll last awhile. I like them so far. There is a really good variety too.

Then factor in the ability to make your own.....

SantaC

Gold Member
I am sick of this. I wish the game would been out next week so all speculation and what not would end.

Jirotrom

Am I the only one not as impressed with the stages, since at least six are from Melee?
yea, thats alot of fucking stages on top of being able to make your own stages...

TreIII

Eh, not to put MarkMan on blast, but by now, I'm so tired of all this crap, that I'm just basically going to be moved ONLY when I see a real leak, or, even better, I get my import copy in my black hands. :D

Only about a week or so before Hong Kong gets the game...SOME ONE should be able to do a legit leak of the game by then...

Jirotrom said:
yea, thats alot of fucking stages on top of being able to make your own stages...

26 original stages in Melee, 35 original stages in Brawl (at most - we might see more returning ones). I was hoping for more original stages than what we're getting, and even with Stage Builder, I doubt we'd be able to reproduce many areas in various Nintendo games. If Sakurai throws in a ton of elements into Stage Builder (like being able to make, I dunno, an Adventures of Lolo stage), then it'd be forgiven, but I'm worried it'll be nothing more than generic environments, like those toadstools and arches.

Also, some people really should form the SSBBDF - last time I brought up a disappointment with Brawl, people got riled up (basically that it was disappointing that Little Mac and others weren't playable and should have been).

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Are you including ZSS and Sheik, Markman?

35 would be a little disappointing. Certainly it's a lot of characters but having already seen all these other newcomers, it's like a little kid on Christmas day realizing he's on his last present. Not counting transformations, we have 23 characters now. There are still a bunch of veterans to come: Captain Falcon, Luigi, Jigglypuff, Ganondorf, and Mr G&W make 5. Add a couple more out of the others that have some chance, i.e. Mewtwo, Falco, Marth, Ness, and Young Link, and that makes for 30~ revealed characters. 5 extra newcomers is on the low side, but I guess it all depends on who they are.

Anyway, I'm still waiting on hard evidence. I can't believe no one is even going to the trouble to doctor a screenshot. Fakers these days sure are lazy...

Jirotrom

Firestorm said:
Haha, I guess that's true. Some crazy fan will figure out the platform placement needed for a Dreamland 64 remake and I can have it <3
Its really fantastic all the features they have in the game. I would really like voice chat but we can save replays so thats fine. Can you save online replays?
Too bad this game arrives in the same year with Culdcept Saga though, It just can't be GOTY for me now...:D

Insaniac said:
is 35 chars and 41 levels the current speculation >.>

It's what was reported by somebody here claiming to have insider information. Apparently GAF has decided to tentatively accept this as accurate.

Jirotrom

26 original stages in Melee, 35 original stages in Brawl (at most - we might see more returning ones). I was hoping for more original stages than what we're getting, and even with Stage Builder, I doubt we'd be able to reproduce many areas in various Nintendo games. If Sakurai throws in a ton of elements into Stage Builder (like being able to make, I dunno, an Adventures of Lolo stage), then it'd be forgiven, but I'm worried it'll be nothing more than generic environments, like those toadstools and arches.

Also, some people really should form the SSBBDF - last time I brought up a disappointment with Brawl, people got riled up (basically that it was disappointing that Little Mac and others weren't playable and should have been).
well the thing is 35 original stages is quite a huge number for a fighting games, and I own a ton of them. So for me personally there is no disappointment. Secondly in each smash game I end up sticking to about 3 levels and thats it.

Zek said:
Anyway, I'm still waiting on hard evidence. I can't believe no one is even going to the trouble to doctor a screenshot. Fakers these days sure are lazy...

We need them to doctor up an intro video, like they did for that whole Mario Galaxy DS thing.

Alright, this is my personal analysis if there are indeed 35 characters in the game. I'll try to organize it.

Currently Confirmed: 23 Characters (excluding Sheik and Zero Suit Samus)

Melee Characters that have a 99% chance of being in:
Luigi
Captain Falcon
Ganondorf

Melee Characters that are most likely in:
Ness - The way I see it, unless the Smash team wants to see unhappy Mother and SSBM fans, Ness will not be cut, especially since he is a Smash veteran from both games. Lucas having a similar moveset does raise some eyebrows, but I really don't see them axing this veteran.

Jigglypuff - The only reason that Jigglypuff could be out is because she is an old Pokemon that is not that popular anymore. But since she has been a Smash character since the beginning, it would be odd to see her out. And besides, she's the best candidate for the traditional "easy-to-unlock" character.

Falco - I doubt he will be cut. Falco is the second most popular Star Fox character, and even though he was a clone in Melee, he was still a welcomed fighter. Why cut a popular character that nobody really had a problem with?

Marth - The only reason he could possibly be cut is because he has blue-ish hair and clothing like Ike. But really, seeing as Marth is Fire Emblem in Japan and is starring in an upcoming remake, he is most likely back for Brawl.

Mewtwo - Hmm... personally, I don't see any reason for him to be cut. Mewtwo is a popular and well known legendary Pokemon that had his own moveset in Melee. Sure, he kind of sucked, but that could be fixed without replacing him.

Mr. Game & Watch - If you ask me, this guy should be in the 99% chance category, but some people are apparently doubtful. Why get rid of a unique character with an ingenious moveset?

Melee Characters that are most likely out:
Dr. Mario - Seeing as he was merely a costume change of an existing character, he is probably out.

Pichu - Since nobody really liked him in Melee, he is most likely cut, especially since Pikachu seems to have his goggles.

Roy - He is probably out since he was really only in Melee because his GBA game was on the horizon. Ike seems to be taking the place of the second Fire Emblem character.

Young Link - Cut, but will probably exist as a new character (see below).

Characters including shoe-in Melee Characters: 32

That leaves... three extra characters. But who could they be?

Wind Waker Link - Yes, the cel-shaded version of Young Link will probably be replacing the Young Link of Ocarina of Time. I'll be shocked if this guy isn't in Brawl.

A Mario Character - If Dr. Mario is indeed cut, then that would leave one less representative for the Mario series than Melee (I don't think Wario counts due to his separate icon). I dunno, but the Smash team might be a bit uncomfortable with that, so I really believe there will be another Mario character to fill that spot. Most likely Paper Mario or Bowser Jr.

35th Character - Wow, only one more can be added? Hmm... it's basically a toss-up between several wanted characters. Mii? Animal Crossing Villager? Ridley? Lucario? Krystal? King K. Rool? Black Shadow? Another third party character? So many options... this is why I think there should be over 35 characters.

So yeah, this is what I think the roster would look like. Of course, my ideas could always be tweaked to put in new characters (get rid of Ness, replace Mewtwo with Lucario, scrap my Mario idea, etc.)

I doubt that Ness will get in when we're only getting 35.

I mean come on - no second Metroid rep?

Anyway, like I said, I think the best five newcomers would be Young Link, Lucario, Ridley, Animal Crosser, and an AW rep.

Jirotrom said:
well the thing is 35 original stages is quite a huge number for a fighting games, and I own a ton of them. So for me personally there is no disappointment. Secondly in each smash game I end up sticking to about 3 levels and thats it.

Well, AFAIC, if we get more than twice what we got for trophies in Melee, I'll be somewhat satisfied.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I don't work for Brady, I'm not working on a guide or anything, just wanted to clear that up.

In those 35 characters, I'm counting ZSS/Samus and Zelda/Shiekh as one and the same.

Grecco

35th Character - Wow, only one more can be added? Hmm... it's basically a toss-up between several wanted characters. Mii? Animal Crossing Villager? Ridley? Lucario? Krystal? King K. Rool? Black Shadow? Another third party character? So many options... this is why I think there should be over 35 characters.

The animal crossing villager is confirmed already... and we know the voice actor for krystal claimed she had some role in smash. Both are in Smash already

MarkMan said:
I don't work for Brady, I'm not working on a guide or anything, just wanted to clear that up.

In those 35 characters, I'm counting ZSS/Samus and Zelda/Shiekh as one and the same.

So how did you get that info?

Grecco said:
The animal crossing villager is confirmed already... and we know the voice actor for krystal claimed she had some role in smash. Both are in Smash already

The voice actor for Peppy was in Melee.

Also, ACer is likely, but not confirmed.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Grecco said:
Animal Crosser is absolutely not confirmed, and Krystal could be an assist trophy or a bit part in SSE.

Fireblend

Banned
Grecco said:

Uhh... no? When was the A.C. villager confirmed? If you're gonna talk about the yellow alloy, you should know it's been confirmed that the model is based on Mario, and has been proved several times.

About Krystal, I know the V.A. said she would make the voice, but I'm really hoping she's not in as a playable character. She represents everything I hate about what Nintendo's done to the Star Fox franchise, not to mention I hate the design. If she's in I'll spend most of my time in Brawl torturing her.

PkunkFury

MarkMan said:

thanks, could you tell us how many of those characters are series veterans?

Jirotrom

Well, AFAIC, if we get more than twice what we got for trophies in Melee, I'll be somewhat satisfied.
:lol :lol you're just hard to please. Melee was a fantastic game in its own right, and this sequel based on the news we have received is already above and beyond it by far.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Remember there's still a new franchise in the icon list to be announced guys. There could be any number more of them at the end of the list, like with Pikmin.

Grecco

1.There was an interview saying Sakurai had design done on an Animal Crossing fighter who used the axe/fishing pole/shovel to fight

2.Theres an Animal Crosing stage already folks

So yeah not "confirmed" but pretty damn likely

Jirotrom

Fireblend said:
About Krystal, I know the V.A. said she would make the voice, but I'm really hoping she's not in as a playable character. She represents everything I hate about what Nintendo's done to the Star Fox franchise, not to mention I hate the design. If she's in I'll spend most of my time in Brawl torturing her.
so you like messing with furries...

Jirotrom said:
:lol :lol you're just hard to please. Melee was a fantastic game in its own right, and this sequel based on the news we have received is already above and beyond it by far.

I want 600+ trophies, it's as simple as that. If I can't get my 50-character/70-stage dream roster, then I want as much 3D renditions of Sky Skipper as I can get.

Fireblend said:
Oooh, hadn't heard of this before. Link?

Hoax.

Chumly

MarkMan said:

Awesome. Going by superbanjos post this just made it a whole lot better. I think his speculation is right and id be perfectly happy with only 3 more new characters.

Assuming your telling us the truth

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Grecco said:
1.There was an interview saying Sakurai had design done on an Animal Crossing fighter who used the axe/fishing pole/shovel to fight
Uhh, link?

Jiggy

If there are seriously only 35 characters, I'd be really disa--oh, you're counting ZSS and Sheik as the same.

If there are seriously only 37 characters, I'd be pretty disappointed. It would depend to some extent on how many of the old characters returned; 37 is 11 more than Melee's 26, but if (for example) Dr. Mario, Pichu, and Roy were cut, then that would basically mean 14 newcomers and would match pace with Melee.
That said, there's still some level of disappointment that I couldn't eliminate, because if they were seriously only going to introduce 14 newcomers (or even 15, or 16, or whatever) then even I would have preferred that they had only put in Charizard (I prefer Ivysaur personally, but I realize most people wanted Charizard) instead of the whole PT trio, and then dedicated those same character-making resources to putting in two new faces from different franchises--and I say this as one of the premiere Pokemon fanboys on GAF.

Jirotrom

I want 600+ trophies, it's as simple as that. If I can't get my 50-character/70-stage dream roster, then I want as much 3D renditions of Sky Skipper as I can get.
We all want things... just make your levels:D

Question though, how many of you actually play with all the characters. I tried all the characters a few times and stick with maybe 2. My bro is sick though and he can use all the characters fairly well but he's weird:lol

Zek said:
5 extra newcomers is on the low side
I'm counting 12 so far.

Unless you mean "5 that we have not seen", but I wonder how many newcomers you would have known about if they showed you 12 of Melee's new characters from the getgo?

It seems like such a silly thing to complain about.

ShockingAlberto said:
I'm counting 12 so far.

Unless you mean "5 that we have not seen", but I wonder how many newcomers you would have known about if they showed you 12 of Melee's new characters from the getgo?

It seems like such a silly thing to complain about.

I think that's the point. Most of Melee's newcomers, were unlockables that didn't hit the site until after the game shipped. If there are only five more, there aren't many more surprises.

Jirotrom said:
We all want things... just make your levels:D

Question though, how many of you actually play with all the characters. I tried all the characters a few times and stick with maybe 2. My bro is sick though and he can use all the characters fairly well but he's weird:lol

I'm not great with all of them, but I like to use all of them.

Fireblend

Banned
Jiggy37 said:
If there are seriously only 35 characters, I'd be really disa--oh, you're counting ZSS and Sheik as the same.

If there are seriously only 37 characters, I'd be pretty disappointed. It would depend to some extent on how many of the old characters returned; 37 is 11 more than Melee's 26, but if (for example) Dr. Mario, Pichu, and Roy were cut, then that would basically mean 14 newcomers and would match pace with Melee.
That said, there's still some level of disappointment that I couldn't eliminate, because if they were seriously only going to introduce 14 newcomers (or even 15, or 16, or whatever) then even I would have preferred that they had only put in Charizard (I prefer Ivysaur personally, but I realize most people wanted Charizard) instead of the whole PT trio, and then dedicated those same character-making resources to putting in two new faces from different franchises--and I say this as one of the premiere Pokemon fanboys on GAF.
Well, if you're counting ZSS and Sheik as "completely-different" characters, then there would be 39 characters, since there are 3 pokemons as well >_>

Grecco

A recent interview with an Animal Crossing developer suggests that yes, indeed, AC will get a fighter to call Smashville his home – using the axe, fishing rod, and other environment-interacting items from the game as the basis of his moveset. But would it really be the generic human character, the "Animal Crosser"? Or would it be a more recognized icon like Nook?

What Hoax is that?

crowphoenix said:
I think that's the point. Most of Melee's newcomers, were unlockables that didn't hit the site until after the game shipped. If there are only five more, there aren't many more surprises.
...k.

You were not going to be surprised, anyway.

How is it different from when someone from Japan lists the roster other than the Dojo? I am honestly confused as to why one would be more surprising than the other.

Let's say the Dojo didn't list DeDeDe, Olimar, Ike, and Diddy. Is seeing the name in a list in a GAF post more shocking than the Dojo update?

KevinCow

Banned
Looking back at Melee, we only had three unlockable newcomers that weren't clones: Mewtwo, Game & Watch, and Marth. So if we wind up with 7 unlockable newcomers that aren't clones in Brawl, I think that would be pretty good.

Markman, please just give me a hint: Ridley? :(

Kusagari

MarkMan said:

That's good. Makes Mewtwo, Ness and such returning seem likelier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom