• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

I still have no idea why Geno is popular tbh

I think it was a snowball effect from Brawl. People were insane for Brawl, and with each new reveal being bombs left and right, anything seemed possible. Every few weeks, the Dojo was making people's dreams come true. From there Geno developed a following that has stuck around.

Enough of a following that we later found out he actually considered Geno, and also gave him a Mii costume.

Menitta

I still have no idea why Geno is popular tbh

It's 100% nostalgia. As someone who played Mario RPG when I was 17, that game is very overrated and not as good as Paper Mario 1/2 or even some of the Mario and Luigi games.

Maybe because I played it after Chrono Trigger, but I thought it was just okay.

Golnei

Would she use the Monado as an icon?

Does the entire Xenoblade series have an official icon that's consistent between both games?

The BLADE organisation uses a Monado as its logo in X, so it'd still fit. I still don't think she'd be all that great a choice in general, though - Xenoblade is fine with a single character, and she's not terribly interesting. What sort of unique gameplay gimmick would really justify her inclusion?

If capcom get's another rep I hope it's someone from Ace Attorney or Resident Evil.

I'd welcome either, but I'll forever mourn the impossibility of Amaterasu.

It's 100% nostalgia. As someone who played Mario RPG when I was 17, that game is very overrated and not as good as Paper Mario 1/2 or even some of the Mario and Luigi games.

Maybe because I played it after Chrono Trigger, but I thought it was just okay.

Ignoring Chrono Trigger, I feel the same way. I didn't play CT until years later...and it was the PSX version rip

it was still amazing though

Kinsei

Banned
The second Square rep should be Geno.

- Considered for Brawl and Smash 4
- Popular and requested character
- Square is on board with the series now

If we get a second Square Enix rep should be from Dragon Quest. We have the big Square franchise in it so now we need the big Enix franchise in it.

If we get a second Square Enix rep should be from Dragon Quest. We have the big Square franchise in it so now we need the big Enix franchise in it.

That doesn't really matter. The second Sega rep is from a niche game series, versus someone from much larger and a more well known Sega series.

Golnei

Also Bravely Music would be the best thing ever

There are so many Square/SE games on Nintendo platforms I'd love to see get some musical representation - Bravely Default, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, TWEWY and SMRPG are just the first ones that come to mind.

I guess that's the good thing about being able to mod the game. For official entries, I'd just be happy with more than two FF tracks.

What sort of unique gameplay gimmick would really justify her inclusion?
A weapon swapping gimmick could be neat. Half of her specials could be gun related, the other half twin blade related, doing them switches what weapon she has out and affects some of her normal moves.

Better than Corrin's poorly utilized visual transformation gimmick.

I wonder if Nintendo gets offers from other company's about putting their characters in Smash.

I know Ubi has to had offer Rayman.

Zebei

I wonder if Nintendo gets offers from other company's about putting their characters in Smash.

I know Ubi has to had offer Rayman.

Didn't Sakurai get approached for Snake and Sonic in melee but it was too late? I would assume with Brawl having 3rd parties be a big deal smash 4 had even more people ask.

EDIT maybe it was just Snake and not sonic.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
This is actually my 2nd most wanted newcomer right now. Sun/Moon Grass starter would be amazing.

I will get back to you on that tomorrow if they announce starter pokemon.

But Melia's English VA would likely be recast, & it would break my heart.

Did they recast Shulk for Smash Bros 4?

Are we talking about the NX port in here or the full-on next game?

It's Smash Bros Community Thread, and answer your question, I'm pretty sure we are talking about Smash NX. It's like hope for the best but expect for the worst here.

Wow, another SmashGAF upcoming game discussion thread eh? :p

In a sense, yes. :p It's Smash Bros Community Thread so we can talk about anything that are Smash related and Sakurai-related.

MomoQca

Plot developments that happen in the past aren't really an excuse for a character that pretty much shows no emotion until the last 2 or 3 chapters. Especially when you don't learn about those circumstances until the absolute end of the game so you don't even have context for her WHEN you interact with her.
Her heart to hearts were still pretty bland too. . . I think the only interesting thing I got out of them was learning Elma pretty much has no sense of humor. "I'm an Elma person"

In response to your last sentence, this is what she said:

That's… interesting. You know I'm not a pet right? So why on Earth would you even say that? Perhaps this is another symptom of the damage your mimeosome suffered in the crash. I'll make an appointment for you at the Mimeosome Maintenance Center and request they perform a disassembly so they can analyze your components. Oh, don't worry—it's a routine procedure for severe mental damage. I'll personally make sure they do a thorough job of cleaning out your skull.

My interpretation is different from yours. She sounds pretty sarcastic especially towards the end. Also, she also jokingly called Commander Vandham "Colonel Square-tache" right before going into war. She does have a sense of humor, she just doesn't overdo it like Lin.

I personally enjoyed her heart-to-hearts. Perhaps her personality wasn't obvious, but that's simply how she is.

Anyway, I'm sure Elma's personality will really shine in a direct sequel if that's what Monolith Soft are working on.

Golnei

That's Sakurai's job. If he wanted to, he could try to implement Overdrive as a mechanic, but Bayonetta has already filled the gunslinger slot.

They could also incorporate a sort of stance system to change between ranged and melee weapons, a TP gauge which affects available specials, or even do something with Skells, through Blodia/Wicked Weave summoned limbs or more of a Stand kind of deal.

Still, each of those is covered in some way by existing characters; and without being all that unique in terms of potential moveset as well as not being the most distinctive or popular character, I'm remaining doubtful about what she'd bring to the roster.

Greninja/Ash Fusion for a new Final Smash?

It's better than the generic "Secret Ninja Attack" but it's pretty weird, and I don't know if they'd make such a big change to a character for the NX port.

Zebei

It's still a shame they didn't go all out with music for the third party DLC character's aside from Bayo.
This is especially dissapointing for me because I started playing FF7 after Cloud was revealed and learned how amazing the music was for the entire FF series. Midgar's song selection is so much worse for me because of it.

Square has so much amazing music Sakurai why could yo only get two of them that aren't even remixes ;_;

Golnei

It's still a shame they didn't go all out with music for the third party DLC character's aside from Bayo.

I think that might have been the intention for all of them, but they were forced to scale back due to licensing/legal issues - it does seem like Bayonetta was a lot easier to work with than other third-party IPs.

Anyway, I'm sure Elma's personality will really shine in a direct sequel if that's what Monolith Soft are working on.

I don't think she's totally flat, but they definitely need to do a lot of work to give her some explicit development if she returns to anchor a future game - she has potential for a decent arc, but it needs to be properly explored.

A weapon swapping gimmick could be neat. Half of her specials could be gun related, the other half twin blade related, doing them switches what weapon she has out and affects some of her normal moves.

Better than Corrin's poorly utilized visual transformation gimmick.

That seems like the most solid choice to differentiate her, but at the same time it's something that could be adapted to multiple potential newcomers.

Here's another neat alt I downloaded. It's Mario's old Jumpman colors.

p8izFR5h.jpg

0iw0XpAh.jpg

It's hammer time!
ugh

fatqEyLh.jpg

Game Over

og0L71Vh.jpg

Little Mac and Mario in their primordial states

Prior to Smash 4, Smash always had a Jumpman costume but unlike the mod above it made Mario's cap blue instead of red, probably for visual clarity to distinguish it more from Mario's default attire. Tis a shame they got rid of it in Sm4sh.

Man, it's really nuts how we can add additional alt costumes without replacing old ones so easily. The Project M team struggled and had to come up with special coding to extend the amount of pallate swaps characters could have in Brawl. According to That Smash 4 Modder, we can have up to a whopping 263 alts for each character. Holy fuck.

Makes me wonder if Sakurai was planning on additional downloadable character costumes beyond the Miis at some point.

GenG3000

They could also incorporate a sort of stance system to change between ranged and melee weapons, a TP gauge which affects available specials, or even do something with Skells, through Blodia/Wicked Weave summoned limbs or more of a Stand kind of deal.

Still, each of those is covered in some way by existing characters; and without being all that unique in terms of potential moveset as well as not being the most distinctive or popular character, I'm remaining doubtful about what she'd bring to the roster.

I mean, Sakurai took Rosalina and made a puppeteer out of her, gave Robin consumable weaponry and stances to Shulk. If there was a need for Elma to be in Smash, they would definitely give her something interesting.

Makes me wonder if Sakurai was planning on additional downloadable character costumes beyond the Miis at some point.

Certainly looks like they set it up just in case they wanted to do so in the future.

Everything about Smash 4 seems to have been designed to be as flexible and fluid as possible.

Golnei

I mean, Sakurai took Rosalina and made a puppeteer out of her, gave Robin consumable weaponry and stances to Shulk. If there was a need for Elma to be in Smash, they would definitely give her something interesting.

The latter part is where most of my doubt is.

MomoQca

No, but Melia's actress is a high-profile actress who's just getting off of Doctor Who.

Well, Melia isn't ever going to be in Smash anyway aside from being a trophy.Nothing to worry about.

I don't think she's totally flat, but they definitely need to do a lot of work to give her some explicit development if she returns to anchor a future game - she has potential for a decent arc, but it needs to be properly explored.

They'll have no choice but to give her decent plot development since Takahashi wants to return to a more story-rich game like the original.

Clov

That's another thing I'd like in Smash NX; more alt costumes. That Jumpman color scheme for Mario looks great!

I just want to see all the alternate costumes/characters in Smash 4 like Alph, Female Robin, etc get about four additional alt costumes each. During an 8-player match you can have eight wireframe Little Macs out at once but only four Olimars and four Male WFTs.

I think Bowser Jr. deserves like 7 or more palettes that have him actually be Bowser Jr. The Koopalings being alts are cool, but the character is supposed to predominately be based on well, Bowser Jr. and his appearances in the Koopa Clown Cart in the NSMB games...and yet he's only there 1/8th of the time.

It's really hard for me to get excited for this. I have no doubt that it's real, but I think it'll be more or less a straight port of Wii U with all of the DLC. If we're lucky, the 3DS features will be in too.

Jawmuncher

It's really hard for me to get excited for this. I have no doubt that it's real, but I think it'll be more or less a straight port of Wii U with all of the DLC. If we're lucky, the 3DS features will be in too.

If the port can be the 3DS and WiiU versions combined, that will entice me somewhat.
But if it's just a GOTY version I can easily wait. I think it really just depends on who they're going to try and market to. All smash fans, just hardcore who will need the newest version, or just those who missed out on the WiiU.

Top Bottom