• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Direct on 9/4 12AM (EU), 7AM (JP) - 8/4 6PM (EST), 3PM (PST)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 3DS version will be awesome (I'm getting it for sure), but let's not kid ourselves: The Wii U Version is gonna be where it's at. Wii U Pro Controller support + couple of friends in the living room in front of a huge HD screen = better experience than the 3DS version.

My feelings exactly. The 3ds versions going to be fun but the real experience will be on the wii u. The 3ds is just an appetizer until the main course is served.

bNgeuIJ.gif

Pociask

Finally watched it. Lots of exciting stuff, but for not picks - why is Zelda seemingly stuck as a character? Sheik's relevance increasingly is just that she was in the last Smash - and kinda makes me think there won't be a Tetra character, as three Zelda characters probably won't fly. And Twilight Princess Zelda summoning DS phantoms is kind of off. I don't know, it seems more natural to mix and match Mario or Link items across generations, but less so when the art style draws so heavily from one game in particular. I am very disappointed they even included sex doll Samus again, doubly so that they took it up a notch further. Just gross and demeaning and not something I want in a Nintendo video game. I guess Pokemon Trainer is gone, and maybe Squirtle too, if that new ones water moves are any kind of hint.

That 3DS mode - do a collectathon before fighting? No thanks.

Wii U online mode looks terrible. Friends and not friends should not be a way to split up gameplay modes - just make it easy for friends to get in the same matches that are available to everyone. For fun and for glory looks dumb. For glory - one stage, with no platforms - aren't the characters balanced around having to be mobile? What's the point of doing that, if you basically say as the developer, yeah, real smash is no items on a flat stage (a stage you can't play in fun mode? Why not?)

Just give us player made lobbies. Heck, let each player pick what their ideal match would look like, and have the server match you to the closest available thing. But this online looks... Not good. And I would hope he would more directly address how terrible the lag was in brawl. Buy a Wii dongle and find a fast access point isn't exactly confidence inspiring

All that said, characters looked great, lots of buffs looked great, new final smashes also good good good. Really hope we get a NES Little Mac, thought that was where he was going with old school fans (also you go with the super nes power bar, and pass on calling ko punches star punches? Really?)

Neiteio

I'm aware.

I'm saying I won't be shocked if that changes at one point. Taking Nintendo at their word at any point is silly.
The roster has probably been finalized for a while. That was probably among the earlier details to be locked down before the rest of development proceeded in earnest.

Now, perhaps there could be DLC characters introduced after the WiiU version launches, which would then be made available to both versions of the game, perhaps even requiring a mandatory update, so that everyone can see them whether they "bought" the characters or not. Of course, they could be given away for free, but paying a nominal fee for an unlock key seems more likely.

I don't trust that leak. Had they specifically said greninja, maybe, but it was very vague, enough to cover if he was wrong slightly.

You and me both, that "leak" played it safe like all the others. i highly doubt mii's will be playable after seeing Villager. Sakurai said smash bros is for Nintendo All-stars... and to me mii's are an avatar... not a all-star

linko9

I think the idea of having a final destination version of every stage is genius... but I wish it was more of a "battlefield" version of each stage, where each stage had between 0 and 3 platforms.

I do not know what a Greninja is, but looks like a kinda boring pokemon to choose, seeing as it's very human-shaped.

Some of the trolls in this direct were incredible. I was laughing out loud like an idiot a few times. The ZSS thing, the false Palutena, and the loudest I laughed was the NO ITEMS FINAL DESTINATION thing; it's hilarious that that joke has actually made a major impact on the game.

Not too hot on the idea of the "custom movesets" but hopefully it'll be a completely optional thing, and maybe it will be fun.

Wii U online mode looks terrible. Friends and not friends should not be a way to split up gameplay modes - just make it easy for friends to get in the same matches that are available to everyone. For fun and for glory looks dumb. For glory - one stage, with no platforms - aren't the characters balanced around having to be mobile? What's the point of doing that, if you basically say as the developer, yeah, real smash is no items on a flat stage (a stage you can't play in fun mode? Why not?)

Just give us player made lobbies. Heck, let each player pick what their ideal match would look like, and have the server match you to the closest available thing. But this online looks... Not good. And I would hope he would more directly address how terrible the lag was in brawl. Buy a Wii dongle and find a fast access point isn't exactly confidence inspiring

I do feel like there should be lobbies rather than the strict delineation. I mean, a game like Call of Duty has 10 game modes or something like that.

So if they want to do pre-made lobbies, why not this:

1v1 all items, all stages
1v1 pre-selected "balanced" items, stages with no random or damaging elements
1v1 no items, FD and Battlefield only

2v2 items, all stages
2v2 pre-selected "balanced" items, stages with no random or damaging elements
2v2 no items, FD and Battlefield only

FFA items, all stages
FFA pre-selected "balanced" items, stages with no random or damaging elements
FFA no items, FD and Battlefield only

Friend Battle - Full Customization decided by lobby host

10 choices. Easily divided into four main menu types.

Talk about over-delivering. That was one hell of an info-packed stream.
I think they just raised the bar on how to do one of these for other pubs.

Poeople take note! (I have.)

Wii U was even trending worldwide briefly there...
I bet that's the first time that's happen. Go Nintendo haha.

Yea, I'm rewatching it again and seeing stuff that I didn't even catch before cuz the megatons were coming at such a fast pace, like Dark Samus as an AT.

The fact that you could miss something like that speaks to how jam packed that direct was. And even putting the announcements aside, there will no doubt be weeks of analysis of all the new gameplay footage we got.

You and me both, that "leak" played it safe like all the others. i highly doubt mii's will be playable after seeing Villager. Sakurai said smash bros is for Nintendo All-stars... and to me mii's are an avatar... not a all-star

Hmm but with the custom moves perhaps they'll be playable only after they've been customized? I can see miis being used that way specifically.

XenodudeX

There's zero reason why I shouldn't be able to add time or stocks to games while not playing with friends. So fucking stupid.

I always hated ZSS, and then felt the horror that was Other M. I had hoped that Other M would have made Nintendo reboot the design or atleast revert it, but nope. I can't be angry or annoyed anymore, since this is Samus now. The fact that they have her in high heels here, is just depressing, but what can you do. Even the dang mole. Atleast she looks fun as heck to play as. But besides that, this direct was so delicious, exceeded my expectations by quite a bit.

GamerJM

Banned
I do feel like there should be lobbies rather than the strict delineation. I mean, a game like Call of Duty has 10 game modes or something like that.

So if they want to do pre-made lobbies, why not this:

1v1 all items, all stages
1v1 pre-selected "balanced" items, stages with no random or damaging elements
1v1 no items, FD and Battlefield only

2v2 items, all stages
2v2 pre-selected "balanced" items, stages with no random or damaging elements
2v2 no items, FD and Battlefield only

FFA items, all stages
FFA pre-selected "balanced" items, stages with no random or damaging elements
FFA no items, FD and Battlefield only

Friend Battle - Full Customization decided by lobby host

10 choices. Easily divided into four main menu types.

Ideally the second option in all of those would have no items either

Either that or the third option has balanced stages instead of just FD

I have never been less excited for Smash Bros. Honestly for me a potential buy might come down to whether or not Falcon is in it. Surprised that the 3DS version is coming this summer though.

kirby_fox

Banned
RIP Pokemon Trainer.

I've lost a main since Melee. Lost both Dr. Mario and Roy going to Brawl, and now Pokemon Trainer.

Please don't cut Lucas, Sakurai...that's all I have left.

Effect

I feel like the craziest thing is that we have a pretty good idea that Sakurai reads what fans want and think and is out to troll them

Also this

13726008703_fe531d549b_o.gif

I got Battle Network (seems taller then he should be but could be wrong), X, original Mega man and Legends. Who is the Mega Man between the original and Legends?

Ideally the second option in all of those would have no items either

Either that or the third option has balanced stages instead of just FD

Yeah. Either of those works. I just wanted to find a middle ground between all-out chaos and strict 100% skill-based.

I wonder if there's a chance any of Sakurai's online ideas will change by the time the Wii U version hits. He really has a chance to make an officially sanctioned rule set, but if he's only going with timed matches, then I feel he's missing the pulse of the scene.

Yagami_Sama

Oh my hype reached critical levels, I am not able to work tomorrow morning.

I really loved everything, besides the customisation thing.

Zero Suit Samus looks awesome, and that was a very good idea split the characters in solo. All the assist trophies looks great and I hope they got promoted soon...
I loved the game visuals and the final trailer was just perfect, if they show something like that one time per month my hype would killed me.

So far, I still not interested in the 3DS version, if the game were different maybe, but so far I am not interested.

In resume my hype is over 9000, for the Wii U version, which should be release first...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom