• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Direct on 9/4 12AM (EU), 7AM (JP) - 8/4 6PM (EST), 3PM (PST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Not sure how I feel about ZSS's high heel battle boots. I'm all for super powerful kicks and shit like that, just don't like high Heels on Samus. Looks stupid.

Watch the youtube link in the OP.

Her battle stelleos are basiclaly a joke, they are like stelleto things she intentinoally put over her shoes

Tesseract

Banned
It's really quite sad to see Nintendo/Namco treating Mega Man with more respect than Capcom has in years.

And are these games really going to be called Super Smash Bros for 3DS and Super Smash Bros for Wii U or are we still waiting for final titles?

huh? mm9 and 10 were pretty awesome.

AdanVC

It's really quite sad to see Nintendo/Namco treating Mega Man with more respect than Capcom has in years.

And are these games really going to be called Super Smash Bros for 3DS and Super Smash Bros for Wii U or are we still waiting for final titles?

So true. I think that's because Sakurai and Co. are fans of Mega Man just like us and once they got green light to have it on Smash they are treating him with the respect this franchise desserves. That Mega Man final Smash is just incredible and nostalgic :')

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
To be honest, I was pretty disappointed by that direct.

I just have no hype for this game at all, it's the side effect of Brawl being such a disappointment I guess, and this game looks a lot like Brawl to me.

KarmaCow

Of course, my main gripe with the direct is that Sakurai didn't discuss the single player modes on the Wii-U version. What possible reason could he have to not discuss it unless it means most of those modes have been removed as well? D:

Considering the entire match making and ranking system is based on your performance in the single player modes, I really doubt they got removed.

He already said that it wont have a SSE style single player but there is no way he's going to axe the staples like Classic and the Target challenges.

screen-6.jpg

has anth0ny changed his avatar yet

SmokeMaxX

Damn, that substitute doll looks really good. It almost looks real.

Nintendo's devs are wizards when it comes to their own hardware.
I'm curious if Smash 4 3DS is going to be rock-solid 60fps with 3d on. That seems hard to believe, but I'd love to see it happen!

zhorkat

"In Super Smash Brothers Brawl, when you played online anonymously, players could freely choose stages and we tried to make it so they could customize their matches however they wanted."
"For our upcoming game, we're giving the player even more choices"
*Shows two restricted game modes that you seemingly can't customize*

I'm curious if Smash 4 3DS is going to be rock-solid 60fps with 3d on. That seems hard to believe, but I'd love to see it happen!

60fps with 3D off rock solid, they are aiming for 60fps with 3D on. Certain animations (those that come from pokemon and assist trophies) will "be 30fps"... but they weren't clear on what they meant by that. Not sure how you can display characters and other models on the same screen at the same time at different frame rates on a moving background, etc.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Talk about over-delivering. That was one hell of an info-packed stream.
I think they just raised the bar on how to do one of these for other pubs.

Poeople take note! (I have.)

Wii U was even trending worldwide briefly there...
I bet that's the first time that's happen. Go Nintendo haha.

He doesn't want to give them the same name because then people would think there's only one game.

Did they buff Zero Suit Samus's boobs again?

Yes. They are now big enough to support me AND Loco4Coco.

Kouriozan

I agree.
It was one of the best, if not THE BEST, Nintendo Direct ever.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

That was one of the most amazing things about video games ive ever seen

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

Sakurai actually knows how to hype his games. I suspect this is more his own initiative and not a breakthrough from Nintendo.

Elija2

I think in the Direct they said that it would be "mostly" 60fps with 3D on. So maybe 4-player battles on boss stages in 3D will have a slightly lower framerate.

Neiteio

So taking into account the words of the Gematsu prophet, and what we learned in the Direct, the newcomers will include:

- Villager (Animal Crossing)
- Wii Fit Trainer (Wii Fit)
- Mega Man (Mega Man)
- Rosalina & Luma (Super Mario)
- Little Mac (Punch-Out!!)
- Greninja (Pokémon XY)
- Palutena (Kid Icarus)
- Chrom (Fire Emblem)
- Pac-Man (Pac-Man)
- Shulk (Xenoblade)
- Chorus Men (Rhythm Heaven)
- Mii (Wii)

Now let's say for a moment the above is true, and let's also say for a moment that the above is the full lineup of newcomers in SSB4. With the 3DS version out this summer, and the full roster known then, and with E3 right at the start of summer, maybe we'll see three newcomers announced at E3 (mirroring last E3), and then the last three will remain hidden until around launch.

So maybe:

- Palutena, Chrom and Pac-Man at E3 2014
- Shulk, Chorus Men and Mii at launch/post-launch

I'm always cautiously optimistic on ANY Nintendo Direct. But this one...oh man...seriously...Damn...So much hype in my blood stream right now.
Game looks phenomenal, and there is still more content to be revealed before launch.
Cannot wait.
Nintendo Delivered this time!

Hope they announce Captain Falcon and Snake next. (Don't care, what you lot say, Snake was great in Brawl)

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
I love fast characters, but I don't know who to use: Zero Suit Samus, Fox, Greninja, Little Mac? There are too many to choose from!

Lotto

I thought this was tomorrow ._.

Just caught up watching it on YouTube. That was real good, Greninja is really random though but he looks kinda fun. Excellent direct, enjoyed most of all it; the music in particular has me really excited to hear all the remixes!

Salex_

Lol, I was surprised that Glory mode had no items, only Final Destination(s), and option for 1v1.

Looks like he really is focusing on both the casual and competitive players this time around.

He should have did that a long time ago. The game can be a good competitive AND casual game. I was 8 or 9 when I played melee and I wasn't complaining about it being "hard" when I played it with my cousin every weekend.

Also, I remember reading an article on SSB Brawl (which I can't find right now) and Sakurai said something similar to Brawl selling more because it was an easier game to play. Does he not realize the Gamecube sold 1/5 of what the Wii sold?....

Mlatador

Banned
...You did nothing to counter his point. A lot of wii u owners may also own a 3ds, having the 3ds version come out first may reduce sales of the wii u version as they might only buy the 3ds version since it comes out first. Not everyone is going to shell out the cash for both versions and I'm sure many will be happy enough with just the 3ds version.

The 3DS version will be awesome (I'm getting it for sure), but let's not kid ourselves: The Wii U Version is gonna be where it's at. Wii U Pro Controller support + couple of friends in the living room in front of a huge HD screen = better experience than the 3DS version.

jmizzal

My opinion.

ZSS awesome!!!! AND TOO MUCH POKEMON already!! Greninja completely unnecessary.

Besides awesome Direct with a bunch of information, and can't wait to buy my 2DS system just for this. Looking forward to the WiiU version much more now. The whole Direct footage were based on the WiiU version.

I'm with u on this, Nintendo is gonna force me to by a 2DS lol, at least I can get Zelda ABW and Kid Icurus since I will have one for Smash Bros

chadboban

The 3DS version will be awesome (I'm getting it for sure), but let's not kid ourselves: The Wii U Version is gonna be where it's at. Wii U Pro Controller support + couple of friends in the living room in front of a huge HD screen = better experience than the 3DS version.

THIS! Can't wait for both versions though.

Sheroking

If the netcode is playable on either, it will be the Wii U version. I expect exclusive features and maybe even a sneaky exclusive character or two with the release gap.

All in all, not a horrible move to stagger the two if you can find a way to prevent making the Wii U version feel like old news. Different stages and game modes might be enough.

On the Direct: I thought it was one of the best paced and most consistently interesting. Not sad they revealed a couple Pokemon character and a couple returners - lots of time between now and the release, including E3, so plenty of time for other characters.

The trailer was excellent and IDGAF what any of you say: Charizard is mah main.

789shadow

Banned
If the netcode is playable on either, it will be the Wii U version. I expect exclusive features and maybe even a sneaky exclusive character or two with the release gap.

All in all, not a horrible move to stagger the two if you can find a way to prevent making the Wii U version feel like old news. Different stages and game modes might be enough.

On the Direct: I thought it was one of the best paced and most consistently interesting. Not sad they revealed a couple Pokemon character and a couple returners - lots of time between now and the release, including E3, so plenty of time for other characters.

The trailer was excellent and IDGAF what any of you say: Charizard is mah main.
Sakurai specifically said that both versions have the exact same roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom