• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U | Crow Fest Thread| Characters Edition

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Alright, I know y'all are thinking, *groans* Another Smash Bros thread. I don't really deny that we have been getting a lot of Smash Bros threads lately. I thought it might be a good time for some of us to admit that we are wrong about certain characters that we have been on anti stance against characters for reasons.

For SmashGAF regulars, people knew me very well would know that I'm strongly against Bayonetta and Waluigi for long time ever since they announced Smash Bros for both consoles in 2011.

For Waluigi, I always felt that he wasn't even important enough to become playable character because I always see Waluigi as filler characters for many spin off Mario games. I guess Sakurai already knew that Waluigi was quite popular but not enough to be in the game, so I must remind everyone what Sakurai said on behalf of Waluigi.

Just becuase you try hard doesn't mean you'll make it into the battle.

Alright, I'm done with Waluigi and let me move to best part about this thread, Bayonetta.

On the record for people, I played Bayonetta quite long time ago and I only played for a couple of hours before I moved on. I recalled that I dislike the game and I don't feel like I wanted to put all of my efforts into this game quite long time ago.

There are few occasions that I would step in and tell the fans that I don't think Bayonetta become playable character in Smash Bros because I always felt that her appearance is unlikely due to few reasons. I admit that the only reason why I don't really want to see Bayonetta being in the game because her body would become partially naked in order to use the strong moves or combo finishers. Yes, I know it may sound silly that I was concerned that she regained the ability to become partially naked in Smash Bros which would make it inappropriate for my niece and nephews to play the game. I know that they could tone it down but I was unsure that Sakurai would do that since Bayonetta might kept her personality and charms in Smash Bros because we know how Sakurai love to have characters' details in the games. That's what made Sakurai pretty good because he often tried his best to keep it faithful to the characters as much as he could in Smash Bros. I actually appreciated that Sakurai did fantastic job with Bayonetta in Smash Bros in term of visual aspect and keep Bayonetta's personality and charm much as he could without having her going partially nude.

Later on, Ryu and Cloud got confirmed to be in the game, I became more convinced that third party characters need to be iconic enough to become playable characters in Smash Bros. I basically wrote Bayonetta off once again since I felt that she's not iconic enough to be in the game.

During Final Smash Presentation, we got an unexpected character trailer, which concluded Bayonetta being in Smash Bros. I was legit shook with the announcement trailer. I just didn't see it coming at all. I wasn't even disappointed, salty or upset. I think I was completely stunned with her announcement trailer and the fact that Sakurai managed to pulled it off with Bayonetta without taking things away from Bayonetta what made her the Bayonetta that most fans loved and knew. I should have know better when it come down with Sakurai because we always knew that he tried his best to be faithful to the characters much as he could. I'm glad that Bayonetta is Bayonetta in the game.

The reason why I made the thread because I want to address an apology to Bayonetta fans here and the lurkers that read SmashGAF hype threads with us for last two years. I'm truly sorry that I might have give some of you hard time regard with Bayonetta being in Smash Bros and completely wrote her off. I'm admitting that I'm completely wrong about Bayonneta. Sakurai did a fantastic job with Bayonetta and I'm completely impressed with her moveset and how she is full of personality and charms in Smash Bros.

Also here is other apology from me.

I decided to give the franchise a second chance so I picked up the game today. I'm not sure when I would start the game but it's my goal that I would able to finish the game before Bayonetta get released for Smash Bros in Feb 2016.

Feel free to share your crow pie here and be man enough to owe up your mistake! :)

Last edited:
I was dead fucking certain Mewtwo wouldn't make it back.

It wasn't in the base game... but we got it as DLC, so I dunno whether that counts or not. I'll take the L and have some crow though.

PS: Enjoy Bayo2!

JazzmanZ

Bayonetta always seems to bring the most amusing salt

As for me, I guess the only crow I have to eat is admitting Toon Link not having a chance.

The Bayonetta games together with Smash are my favourite games on the Wii U. To see them combined now is a dream come true.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I didn't think Sakurai would triple the number of Fire Emblem characters and not include any new reps from half of the other franchises, but I sure are crow there.

RK128

While Bayonetta was a honestly surprise, I wasn't upset by her announcement :). While never playing her games (don't own a Wii U to play the sequel and heard horrendous things about the PS3 port of the first game), I respect her as a representative of Platinum Games, as they are important developers this generation. They deserve, to me, to stand alongside Sega, Bamco, Square Enix and Capcom's iconic crew.

Corrin was another surprise and while it bites that we are getting another FE character when that slot could of been used for another franchise (Rythem Heaven or some other Nintendo series), he/she does have a very creative moveset. So that alone, alongside his/her inclusion being important (a symbol of FE being a grand success now in JP and other places), I don't mind it at all :).

Tadale

Here's my revery recent post about the then upcoming character announcements.

I don't see how they could do Bayonetta without the weird dissolving hair costume, and that seems like a bridge too far for Smash Bros.

The only character I wanted for Smash that I was worried for was Ike.
I hated Chrom and Lucina, but I was sure of those would make in place of Ike.

Luckily, Sakurai has good taste in video games because of all the Fire Emblemness.

Also I hope people can't stop with all these "rules" about characters. Corrin, Roy, no wolf, Cloud, bayonetta, and Ryu means Their are no rules. As long as it's realizable it's possible.

Oh, another good one. I thought all the people thinking we'd get a Fates character like Corrin or Aqua were being ridiculous. I thought the game was too new for them to have any reasonable impact before addition, that we had enough FE diversity already, and that they'd end up barely missing the boat in favour of whatever Fire Emblem game's out by the time of the next one (just like the cast of FE7 and Sacred Stones </3).

Needless to say Corrin caught me really off-guard, but they look fun to play as so I'm not complaining.

On a more disappointing note, I thought for sure we would get a new Pokemon Trainer, but then the April Direct crushed those dreams. I got Greninja though, so I'm good.

Even with the ESRB leaks I was 200% certain Bowser Jr. would not be in the game.

I thought those were fake. Granted part of that was just me wanting to believe that wasn't all we had in store. Threw in the towel once video came up though.

Thankfully the Wii U version + DLC ended up satisfying me far more than the base 3DS version. Still disappointed I was robbed of having my mind blown at Shulk and Duck Hunt's trailers (even though I was expecting Shulk to make it anyway).

Cronox

Banned
I had no expectations. I hoped a higher tier heavy might be introduced, or perhaps a Platinum Games fighter (Wonder Red or Bayonetta). So Bayonetta was a pleasant surprise. The only thing that I find disappointing now is that the DLC character surprises are over.

Glad Snake didn't make it back in, heavily dislike his moveset. Very glad no new projectile zoning characters were added either (Lucas doesn't count due to seniority), we have enough of them already.

L Thammy

I don't know if it counts as "eating crow" (I never heard that expression before I started visiting GAF) but I saw these old posts of mine and thought they were funny in retrospect.

From a very early thread, on the topic of how some characters (like Ridley) might be harder to implement than others.

L Thammy said:
He's not even the worst example. How do you get a varied moveset out of Little Mac? What would make Shulk different from the other swordsmen beyond a few specials? They sound like a good idea, but they need some creativity to make them work. It's not impossible. But a bad character for fanservice's sake isn't a good trade unless they're easy to make.

GamerSoul said:
I think Lil Mac's moveset would be pretty easy to make. Just give him to someone over at Namco and let them work they're magic if all else fails. He could have uppercuts, jab combos with mutiple branches, counter strikes. Shulk I'm not familiar with so idk about him.

L Thammy said:
Could you give him over a dozen different punches while making him unique and fun to play? Namco isn't a magic machine that pumps out movesets. He could be in, but it would take more work than a character who already has a wide variety of attacks or tools.

My point is, a popular character may require more effort and creativity to make. That probably means more time and more cost. If it's too much then the character will either be abandoned or will be given a "clone" moveset. Not saying that it's going to happen with any character in particular, but the development staff has to think about this stuff for more than a minute or two.

Satch

Banned
thank you for apologizing u are forgiven
T0q6M.gif

fhqwhgads

I believed in the Rayman leak
I was sure Lucario/Ike/ROB would get cut
I was sure Wolf would come back
Also I thought K Rool would win the Smash Ballot for the upset but I guess the haters won this time ;-;

I need to eat salt because I was dead sure Pokemon Trainer wouldn't be cut. My heart will forever ache at Pokemon's perfect representative being thrown away while keeping that shitty dragon. :(

L Thammy

I also thought that Bayonetta was a ridiculous character to request - in terms of likelihood of getting in - though I didn't post it. I guess she wasn't nearly as ridiculous as I thought.
The actual implementation of her in Smash is super cool though. Love it.

op how did you get ur avatar? is there a bayonetta one like it

GAF's Neoriceisgood made it and yes. Not sure if someone is using the Bayo one.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
op how did you get ur avatar? is there a bayonetta one like it

The post above you. You could use it if you want to. I don't remember anyone taking it as avatar yet.

I also thought that Bayonetta was a ridiculous character to request - in terms of likelihood of getting in - though I didn't post it. I guess she wasn't nearly as ridiculous as I thought.
The actual implementation of her in Smash is super cool though. Love it.

GAF's Neoriceisgood made it and yes. Not sure if someone is using the Bayo one.

now what was my list

Chrom was in
kid Icarus series would only get one more character
i was sure a that the Donkey Kong series would get a new character
there was no way Doc was coming back
ESRB lake was fake
Roy wouldn't come back and FE series would get one new character
Ryu wasn't real
if there was ever a Final Fantasy it would be black mage
Bayo is never getting in smash

that's what i can name of my head, granted i'm glad i was wrong about Ryu as i like him alot but this smash gave me alot of disappointments in terms of character choice and i'm not sure i can get behind another smash game again

edit: oh yeah i was sure Wolf would be DLC

Didn't think Sakurai would get so many high profile 3rd party characters. Very pleased to be proven wrong. Also, props to the team for continuing to tinker with and balance the character roster. This is the most balanced Smash Bros. game, in terms of character usage and viability. I hope people don't forget just how bad some of the characters, Diddy in particular, were before some of the patches. Was happily wrong about Wolf getting in (liked the character from Brawl, but some of his fans are insufferable). I thought Ice Climbers would get in. Glad they didn't though because they were annoying to play against in the other games, although with the grab mechanics in Smash 4 maybe it wouldn't have been too bad.

woopWOOP

Some guy on another forum wanted the Duck Hunt dog playable SO BAD. He figured he could be Nintendo's light gun mascot of sorts. The idea of DHD wielding a NES accessory for a weapon, nevermind an accessory that looked very different in Japan (they got a regular gun = rating shenanigans I figured) seemed implausible to me. But whatever, keep hoping man, I'll be over here expecting Lip or Takamaru.

Congratulating the guy was the least I could do after the leaks proved true. (even then I had no idea how he'd work until I saw footage)

Oh, and Bayonetta too because of the guns and graphic kill moves. They made Snake work so I wasn't going around telling people it was impossible, but I thought it pretty unlikely. I guess flashy laser guns keep the age rating down? Either way, when she got on screen I let out a loud '...huh!'. Surprised me for sure.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
There was a time when I thought Zoroark would get in over Lucario.

Please forgive me.

I apologize to myself for not believing in Bayonetta hard enough.

I apologize to Bayonetta.

I guess I'll eat crow on Bowser Jr. too.

Neiteio

Smash-GAF, the most puritanical of GAFs, now has a lewd stripper-witch in their game who sheds her clothes when she attacks while throwing out sexual innuendos about premature ejaculation ("Done already?").

I WIN

We all win. What a fun character!

This feels like a good place to cry because Snake is gone. Much like all places.
Mmm, whatcha say, whatcha say

Platy

Snake was done the second the Kojima/KONAMI trouble started

My biggest problems with smash are clones of characters I didn't play.

So Dark pit was my most salt moment on smash4

Lucas I could not feel salty because
1) he was announced next to a clone I play and Ryu
2) dude who lives with me bought it for me because he loves to play with him

I love marth/lucina/roy and I rather use Dr Mario than mario because FLUDD can die in a fire.

I can't feel salt about characters that play in new ways, so no salt for Corrin and I am happy that wolf and pichu didn't come back

But then again I will probably have every character dlc ever released for this game, even if they announce more characters and they are just wolf and pichu xD

Neiteio

Not too much crow for me to eat, since I'm pretty openminded and believe Sakurai can make just about anything work. But one bit of crow to be eaten is I thought Dark Pit would be more unique if he were to be put into this game. There are like a billion weapons in Kid Icarus Uprising — many ways to differentiate himself from Pit — but I s'ppose a clone's a clone.

Also, like many people, I thought Wolf was a lock. And that Inklings were highly likely.

Zyrox

After Rosalina got revealed, I ceased to believe in my Mario newcomer of choice - Bowser jr. Thought that'd be it in terms of Mario characters. I was very pleasantly surprised when the leak turned out to be true and we got Jr., and not just regular old Jr., but him in his fucking clown car. Amazing.

I also thought (naively I guess) that every Brawl veteran would return. I believed in Snake and Wolf (and Ivysaur and Squirtle) until the end. BigBosssalute.gif

I never in a million years would have thought Bayonetta would have gotten in due to the nature of her character and her appearance. And her use of guns (which they couldn't work around if they were forced to cut them for ratings).

I guess ESRB just doesn't care about DLC, or they're going to pretend they're energy firing weapons or something.

I also didn't think they'd actually use the ballot by counting votes and doing it that way. I figured it was a suggestion box and Sakurai was going to grab an idea from it that caught his eye.

Neiteio

After Rosalina got revealed, I ceased to believe in my Mario newcomer of choice - Bowser jr. Thought that'd be it in terms of Mario characters. I was very pleasantly surprised when the leak turned out to be true and we got Jr., and not just regular old Jr., but him in his fucking clown car. Amazing.
You forget the other best part: He comes with all seven Koopalings!

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeee-it!

where are all the "wolf is a sure thing" people &#55357;&#56834;&#55357;&#56834;&#55357;&#56834;&#55357;&#56834;&#55357;&#56834;&#55357;&#56834;&#55357;&#56834;&#55357;&#56834;&#55357;&#56834;&#55357;&#56834;&#55357;&#56834;&#55357;&#56834;

where yall at k rool stans &#55357;&#56834;&#55357;&#56834;&#55357;&#56834;&#55357;&#56834;&#55357;&#56834;&#55357;&#56834;&#55357;&#56834;&#55357;&#56834;

Zyrox

You forget the other best part: He comes with all seven Koopalings!

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeee-it!

I don't really care for the Koopalings personally, which is why I didn't mention them. But yeah, they are a nice bonus for fans. Sakurai went all out there.

fhqwhgads

where are all the "wolf is a sure thing" people &#65533;&#65533;&#65533;&#65533;&#65533;&#65533;&#65533;&#65533;&#65533;&#65533;&#65533;&#65533;&#65533;&#65533;&#65533;&#65533;&#65533;&#65533;&#65533;&#65533;&#65533;&#65533;&#65533;&#65533;

where yall at k rool stans &#65533;&#65533;&#65533;&#65533;&#65533;&#65533;&#65533;&#65533;&#65533;&#65533;&#65533;&#65533;&#65533;&#65533;&#65533;&#65533;
Present and accounted for

Neiteio

I don't really care for the Koopalings personally, which is why I didn't mention them. But yeah, they are a nice bonus for fans. Sakurai went all out there.
You... you don't care for the Koopalings??

You're a monster

...OK, I still love you

Richie

There was a point where I genuinely took the Gematsu leak as a bible, and all but thought that Monday morning we'd be getting either Shulk or Chrom....It's the tastiest crow I've eaten in all things gaming. That Robin/Lucina/Falcon wombo combo was out of this world.

I would have bet my 200+ hours' save file on Hyrule Warriors that Wolf was definitely returning as DLC, surprised the hell out that we got Lucas before him.

I didn't think Bayo would make it but I -wanted- her to so, so bad. Leave luck to Sakurai.

Neiteio

There was a point where I genuinely took the Gematsu leak as a bible, and all but thought that Monday morning we'd be getting either Shulk or Chrom....It's the tastiest crow I've eaten in all things gaming. That Robin/Lucina/Falcon wombo combo was out of this world.

I would have also bet on Wolf definitely being one of the DLC characters, surprised the hell out that we got Lucas before him.

I didn't think Bayo would make it but I -wanted- her to so, so bad. Leave luck to Sakurai.
I still believe the Gematsu leak was true at one point in time. Incomplete, but true. It was likely part of the lineup when they started work, but then certain details changed early in development. Namely, dropping Chrom for Robin and Lucina, adding the clone Dark Pit, and of course Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr.

RK128

Also want to say that once Cloud was announced, I was really hoping for Crash to join Smash :).

I know it wasn't likely but considering his connection with Sony, how Crash games came to Nintendo platforms and his moveset being quite creative, he would be an amazing addition to Smash Brothers.

Honestly, if we get western third parties for Smash 5/NX, then I could see Activision using Crash or Spyro to represent them (alongside Ubisoft being shown through Rayman and Level-5 being a new JP Developer being represented).

Richie

I still believe the Gematsu leak was true at one point in time. Incomplete, but true. It was likely part of the lineup when they started work, but then certain details changed early in development. Namely, dropping Chrom for Robin and Lucina, adding the clone Dark Pit, and of course Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr.

Oh, well yes, that Sal called out Wii Fit Trainer was too big a coincidence to ignore, but I was refusing to think anything not indicated there would ever happen, is what I said. Given how Brawl's roster was leaked way before the game came out, I thought we had ourselves another spoiled roster ahead of release.

Boy, the more I think of it the more awesome the roster we have is.

Also, the Gematsu leak had the Chorus Kids at one point, no?

Top Bottom